SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Christian: Reinstatement Question

Christian

Bubble,

Thank you for chiming in. I always enjoy your positive and direct feedback with all of us. Helping so many desperate people like all of you do while still going through WD is thoroughly appreciated. I posted the topic in Tapering. I hope I did it right. I actually today feel just slightly better. I dont know why. Maybe its because split up my 5 MG Lexapro dose from 2.5 MG last night and took another 2.5 this AM in an attempt to try and move it to one full dose of 5 back to the AM. I did this on my own so I apologize if I didnt check with the group. I dont know the fact that I took a dose this AM that I feel better as a result. I also slept 6 hours (though not continuous) last night. Though it was helped with meds. I was thinking of 10 MGS cause of the difference of how I feel from taking the 2.5 MGs this AM. Its not a huge improvement, a small one. I dont know. Lastly, I have not taken a benzo all week. I never take them more than 1-2 times a week. Never back to back days. I didnt even use them really prior to this all happening on 12/24.           

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Christian..  so long as you realize Alto is one of, if not THE foremost expert on tapering off anti-depressants in the US, and there is no way you will get better advice than she has already given to you... Alto has given well regarded and effective assistance to thousands on this forum.  I wouldn't want less informed opinions, but that's up to you. 

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Christian..  so long as you realize Alto is one of, if not THE foremost expert on tapering off anti-depressants in the US, and there is no way you will get better advice than she has already given to you... Alto has given well regarded and effective assistance to thousands on this forum.  I wouldn't want less informed opinions, but that's up to you. 

Thanks, Skyler. I know she is by far the expert. I have learned so much from her and others on this site. I was just looking for data. I have seen them posted here before. I know from Alto, Bubble and others that switching is not advised. I was just looking to see if it has happened successfully before. I see a topic on successful reinstatements which I have read so many times I know it by heart. Its the alternative option I am looking for info on. 

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

Thanks, Skyler. I know she is by far the expert. I have learned so much from her and others on this site. I was just looking for data. I have seen them posted here before. I know from Alto, Bubble and others that switching is not advised. I was just looking to see if it has happened successfully before. I see a topic on successful reinstatements (same med) which I have read so many times I know it by heart. Its the alternative option (switching meds) I am looking for info on.

Edited by ChessieCat
extracted response from quote

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Skyler. I know she is by far the expert. I have learned so much from her and others on this site. I was just looking for data. I have seen them posted here before. I know from Alto, Bubble and others that switching is not advised. I was just looking to see if it has happened successfully before. I see a topic on successful reinstatements (same med) which I have read so many times I know it by heart. Its the alternative option (switching meds) I am looking for info on. 

NOT when CNS has taken place, as it has with you.. You are looking for a short cut, and as bubble stated, they don't exist.   And as successful switching does not happen, you will not find a thread on the topic.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Christian, as our discussion in this topic demonstrates, your problems go far beyond reinstatement of Lexapro. To my mind, your focus on that doesn't make any sense. Ambien is most likely your big problem.

As you know, changing more than one thing at once can cause a great deal of confusion. You are ramping up on Seroquel, changing your Ambien dose (did you reduce it?), and now splitting the Lexapro dose all at once.

We don't know which change caused an improvement because you've done them all at once.

As I guessed you're better off taking Lexapro earlier rather than later, I would continue with the split doing. However, if you had done this earlier, you might have found you didn't need to take Seroquel. Now you don't know.

What are you doing with the Ambien dosing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

We are all different, with different drug histories, number of previous abrupt discontinuations and other things that sensitised our brain and influence on how long it will take for it to recover.

After I stopped Lexapro and Xanax my main symptom was irritability and swollen sinuses which prevented me from sleeping at night. Over the next 45 days my state deteriorated with rising anxiety and depersonalisation which culminated in a racing thoughts episode which was the scariest thing I had ever experienced till then.

That frightened me so deeply that I didn't need any persuading to reinstate because it felt like I was completely losing my mind, literally couldn't think and was flooded with thoughts I couldn't control.

After I reinstated I felt like a cart which was speeding down a steep hill just slowed down. I didn't expect getting back to normal any time soon. I had previous CTs so I knew it takes months. I was just grateful that I stopped getting worse and that I didn't get any more of those horrible attacks.

I felt almost brain dead but somehow I was able to work throughout all that time! My windows were at first very brief moments once or twice a day when the heavy brain fog would lift and I was able to function in a less zombie like way.

I was very gradually recovering over a period of 4 months but it probably took a lot longer before I got to my pre discontinuation state.

I hope that helps. I was also waking frequently during the night but if I managed to pull 4 hours I would think to myself: thank God I was able to sleep for 4 hours although disrupted (instead of thinking I didn't sleep for 4 hours and even that disrupted). Waking up around 2.30 was very typical and staying awake for an hour, two or even three.

I was fully aware that I did something horrible to my brain and was able to be patient with it and give it as much time as it needed to recover. Like nursing a broken leg.

Your story of how you made it through your crash is very encouraging!

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

I took a 1/2 of a 12.5 pill at bedtime with 50 MG of Seroquel. I slept from 10:45 until 1:30 and got up at 1:30 AM. But I was able to get back to sleep! But then I did something foolish. I woke up at 3:50 am I took the other 1/2 of the Ambien pill and another 50 MG of Seroquel. I then slept until 7:30 AM. In retrospect I think I should have been content with sleeping until 3:50 AM and if I couldn't get up just deal with it. I got a lot of sleep but felt drugged when I got up at 7:30 am. The only positive is that I'm down to one Ambien pill a night. Any advice? If I can get this sleep thing at least to a point I can get 4-5 hours a night with least amount of drugs that probably would be best. Hopefully a 50 MG of Seroquel with nothing else can get me there until I get through these hard times.

Thanks Alto. 2.5 mg Lexapro in the AM and same at bed right?

• Administrator

Yes, Christian, that is a good way to test whether Lexapro has been too activating.

You MUST become more regular and systematic in the way you use the other drugs. You took 100mg Seroquel again.

If you don't exercise self-control and do this systematically, you will not be able to manage symptoms that may arise from your variations in Ambien and Seroquel use. When you experience Seroquel withdrawal, you will not like it at all. And, to tell you the truth, I am getting tired of trying to get you to be responsible for your own self-care.

If I were you, I'd take ONLY 25mg Seroquel at the same time each evening. I'm still confused about the Ambien. I gather you're taking one 15mg tablet a night? How do you do that, since it comes in 5mg and 10mg tablets?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I understand Alto. The Ambien is actually Zolipem (?) and come in 12.5 MG pills. The Seroquel tablets come in 50'MG tablets. So are you suggesting a 1/2 tablet of Seroquel? I doubt that will put me to sleep. Can I take 1 50 MG tablet of Seroquel and 1/2 a Ambien pill at bedtime? Then do my best not to take anything after a wake up in the middle of the night? Then maybe lose the Ambien in the next 1-2 weeks all together? Those extra middle of the night doses do give me more sleep but it's only a couple hours and then I'm medicated when I wake up at 6 am. I have to just deal with the tossing and turning if I wake up at 2 am. The Seroquel seems to put me in a deeper sleep. While Ambien really Only gets me to sleep quickly but only for two hours. What a mess !

Also, is Seroquel WD worse than Ambien? Are sleeping pills safer than Seroquel? I know they are all bad but is one less bad? I know you don't recommend drugs but aside from Melatonin are their actually less dangerous sleeping pills on the market.

So you are saying once it hits the CNS which is like the next phase of WD a new med won't help? Does that also mean reinstatement won't either or is unlikely to work? It's just waiting it out for months or years? I've seen threads on here of successful meds changes during WD. It's just unclear from those posts what level of WD they were in. Based on the info I've been gathering my best bet remains with staying with Lexapro.

I don't think I'm going to take the Paxil. Thanks for your input. Do you think Celexa might be better in my situation ? How do? Less side effects? I heard from multiple sources it's very much like Lexapro. How would that impact the 3 weeks I've already invested from the lex reinstatement. Is it back to square one if I change or could it just have a carrying on effect?

• Moderator Emeritus

Christian, stop comparing yourself to everyone else... you are struggling to understand your own experience, and this is okay.. but keep it focused.  Understanding how things work with you seems to be enough of a challenge.

So you are saying once it hits the CNS which is like the next phase of WD a new med won't help?

Does that also mean reinstatement won't either or is unlikely to work? It's just waiting it out for months or years?

I've seen threads on here of successful meds changes during WD. It's just unclear from those posts what level of WD they were in. Based on the info I've been gathering my best bet remains with staying with Lexapro.

This is all about the CNS (central nervous system) becoming sensitized.  There are no phases... Withdrawal symptoms are what happens because CNS sensitization has taken place.

This has been asked and answered over and over.. and the answer does not change.  YES.  If you do the right things.. (meaning stop jerking your doses around, and stop thinking benzos are sleep aids, etc.) you can keep it to a lower roar.

Everyone's situation is different.. STOP trying to generalize their experiences to yourself.  Don't sabotage your effort by getting needlessly enmeshed in the journey's of others.  I think you need to stop reading their accounts stick to your own.

Alto has been most generous with her time.  Listen to her.  And make up your mind you will stick with 'the program'.. no fudging and taking one more pill when you can't sleep... doing so will needlessly prolong your withdrawal.  You have to take responsibility with this, we cannot do this for you.

I can hardly wait. Thanks for taking the time to write this. It struck a chord as they say.

So what are your symptoms Skyler? Just kidding. Thanks for the advice. And I haven't touched a benzo for a week I swear. And even then it was 1-2 times a week at .25 MG.

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope you realize that Ambien is a close benzo cousin, so when I mention benzos, I am including Ambien.  Withdrawal from benzos is equally as challenging as from ADs, some say more so.  Please don't get caught up in them any more than you already are.  You will not be able to just go off Ambien in a couple of weeks as you mentioned in your intro topic.. that's going to need a careful taper...  Jerking that dose around as you are could be intensifying your withdrawal symptoms now.

Oh ok. I recently read that the actor John Stamos spent a month in rehab to get off booze, SSRI and Ambien. He said by far the worst was the Ambien WD. He said he didn't sleep for a month. Sound familiar ?

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh ok. I recently read that the actor John Stamos spent a month in rehab to get off booze, SSRI and Ambien. He said by far the worst was the Ambien WD. He said he didn't sleep for a month. Sound familiar ?

Except that he was lucky it was only one month, as opposed to many months, or even years.  

Over and out until you open a thread in the benzo forum, AND decide you want to listen.

PS This thread really should be merged with your intro thread. *topic merged

Edited by Petunia
added note

• Administrator

Christian, you do not seem to understand what I take the time to write.

25mg Seroquel = 1/2 50mg tablet

How do you know it won't put you to sleep?

Did you read the links about Seroquel side effects?

What have I said about switching drugs or taking them inconsistently?

How much zolpidem are you taking each night, anyway?

You are in the habit of overusing drugs. You are addicted to zolpidem. If you choose to continue to do this, I can't help you. Go to a drug rehab center.

I used Zolipem 1-2 times a week for two years taking one 12.5 MG pill those nights. I stopped in October and went until 12/15 without taking any. During my WD I started back up on 12/15. It went from 1 12.5 pill a night at bedtime to two about two weeks ago. One being at bedtime and one when I woke up at 2 am. Since I got the Seroquel. I take one 1/2 pill at bedtime and the other 1-2 when I wake up in the middle of the night. That has been the last two nights. I know I have to quit that is why I got the Seroquel. So I will do as you say and take 1/2 a tablet of Seroquel. And I guess I'll take a 1/2 of Ambien to try and avoid WD. Unless you advise otherwise. I'll avoid all meds if I wake up at 2 am and just ride it out.

• Administrator

What does this mean????

I take one 1/2 pill at bedtime and the other 1-2 when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Are you taking 1 1/2-2 1/2 zolpidem tablets per night?

What have you been taking EACH of the last 3 days? Consult your notes.

Why is it so difficult to quantify your drug intake? My sense is, if you can't follow these simple instructions, you don't want to. And if you don't want to, there's nothing a do-it-yourself peer support site can do to help you. You have been wasting my time.

• Administrator

Christian, I've spent a great deal of time answering your many repeated questions in your Intro topic and, despite my repeated advice to keep your drug intake steady, you are currently screwing around with varying dosages of Seroquel, zolpidem, and Lexapro.

You refuse to maintain a consistent drug regimen. Here, you have the nerve, yet again, to ask about switching out Lexapro, when your problem is most likely addiction to zolpidem.

You seem to believe you can find a solution in taking a pill, rather than taking responsibility and straightening out your drug intake. Do it your way. Keep changing your drugs. Stop wasting my time with your questions.

The last 3 nights ....

Tuesday 10:30 bedtime- one 12.5 MG of Ambien

Tuesday 2 am- one 12.5 Ambien

Wednesday 1030 bedtime- 1/2 of a 12.5 mg Zolipem and 50 mg of Seroquel

Wednesday 2 am wake up- 1/2 of a 12.5 Zolipem and 50 mg Seroquel

Thursday 1030 pm bedtime- 1/2 Zolipem 12.5 pill. 50 mg Seroquel

Thursday 350 am wakeup: 1/2 a 12.5 Ambien and 50 mg Seroquel

Friday plan

11 pm bedtime- 1/2 a 50 mg pill of Seroquel and 1/2 12.5 mg of Zolipem

Friday middle of the night wake up- nothing

It was a typo. Not 1-2 but 1/2.

• Administrator

I suggest you stop screwing around and stick with your Friday plan for a week.

You might take the 25mg Seroquel first and then 1/2 zolpidem should you wake up.

Until further notice, post only in your Intro topic. Thank you.

Thank you Alto.

Hi Christian...at the worst point in my withdrawal I couldn't do anything...but after being back at this dose for several weeks (minus my additional drug foolishness), I can watch tv, and do almost anything I could do before, mornings are still not great but overall much better.

I was on Mirtazapine 30 mg for 2.5 years because of severe debilitating menopause related depression and physical symptoms. I tapered down to zero in 2.5 months. Five weeks off on November 10, I started having severe withdrawal symptoms. Took small reinstatement and continued updosing until 30 mg Nov. 30, 2015 as nothing seemed to be getting better and I was impatient. Made a desperate mistake and tried two other ssri's for eight days, bad side effects and stopped. Went back to 30 mg of Mirtazapine and nothing else as of January 14, 2016. Slowly started getting better. After two months symptoms became manageable and continue to slowly fade.

I also take 1.25 mg Premarin/Climara patch for menopause symptoms and have to wean off that too.

That's exactly what I like to hear Rachel. Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus

The only positive is that I'm down to one Ambien pill a night. Any advice? If I can get this sleep thing at least to a point I can get 4-5 hours a night with least amount of drugs that probably would be best. Hopefully a 50 MG of Seroquel with nothing else can get me there until I get through these hard times.

You've managed to reduce your Ambien by 50% which is good, but that's a big dose drop.  You might consider tapering the rest of the Ambien with smaller drops.  The way I've done this in the past is, once I'm sleeping reasonably well, make a small dose cut (e.g. chip off about one-eighth of the pill), hold there for a few days until sleep stabilises on the new dose, then repeat.  Very similar to our slow tapering method for SSRIs only I did it quicker as I hadn't been on the z-drug for long.  (See my thread about it here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7862-reasonable-use-of-z-drugs-for-sleep/). 

Seroquel is a nasty drug, but if you are sleeping on it better than the Ambien, it might be a way for you to get off the Ambien, then you will need to taper off the Seroquel as you really don't want to be on that long-term.

Switching to another med is always a gamble.  Some people manage to switch okay, for others it is a disaster as they end up in w/d and the new drug doesn't cover it.  Paxil is chemically completely different to Lexapro, so it is impossible to predict how that switch might go.  Celexa (citalopram) is very similar to Lexapro (escitalopram), but some people have found it less stimulating, and I've seen a couple of people do this switch okay, so that may be a reasonable option for you if you feel like you need to switch.  There's no guarantee, but at least with them being almost the same, it's kind of a lower risk switch.

You need to make your changes just one at a time.  I'd probably do the Ambien taper first, while holding the Lexapro and Seroquel where they are currently.  The reason for this is that the Ambien could be giving you rebound anxiety.  For the same reason avoid taking benzos.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Administrator

Thanks, Songbird. I'm hoping next time Christian checks in, we'll hear he's been consistent with the Lexapro and Seroquel and down to 1/2 tablet Ambien.

The only positive is that I'm down to one Ambien pill a night. Any advice? If I can get this sleep thing at least to a point I can get 4-5 hours a night with least amount of drugs that probably would be best. Hopefully a 50 MG of Seroquel with nothing else can get me there until I get through these hard times.

You've managed to reduce your Ambien by 50% which is good, but that's a big dose drop. You might consider tapering the rest of the Ambien with smaller drops. The way I've done this in the past is, once I'm sleeping reasonably well, make a small dose cut (e.g. chip off about one-eighth of the pill), hold there for a few days until sleep stabilises on the new dose, then repeat. Very similar to our slow tapering method for SSRIs only I did it quicker as I hadn't been on the z-drug for long. (See my thread about it here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7862-reasonable-use-of-z-drugs-for-sleep/).

Seroquel is a nasty drug, but if you are sleeping on it better than the Ambien, it might be a way for you to get off the Ambien, then you will need to taper off the Seroquel as you really don't want to be on that long-term.

Switching to another med is always a gamble. Some people manage to switch okay, for others it is a disaster as they end up in w/d and the new drug doesn't cover it. Paxil is chemically completely different to Lexapro, so it is impossible to predict how that switch might go. Celexa (citalopram) is very similar to Lexapro (escitalopram), but some people have found it less stimulating, and I've seen a couple of people do this switch okay, so that may be a reasonable option for you if you feel like you need to switch. There's no guarantee, but at least with them being almost the same, it's kind of a lower risk switch.

You need to make your changes just one at a time. I'd probably do the Ambien taper first, while holding the Lexapro and Seroquel where they are currently. The reason for this is that the Ambien could be giving you rebound anxiety. For the same reason avoid taking benzos.

Thanks Songbird!

Christian. How is it going ?  I hope , well . Please keep us updated on your progress.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

The last two nights I've taken 25 MG of Seroquel at bedtime. One night I went to sleep right away but woke up 3 hours later and took 1/2 Ambien and was out for several hours. 7 hours sleep but interrupted. Last night I took a 25 MG of Seroquel and couldn't sleep for two hours though tired from the med. I took 1/2 of Ambien and again I was out for several hours. I will continue to try to sleep on the Seroquel but if I can't I'll add the 1/2 of Ambien I guess. I want eventually to just get past the Ambien.

On another note, I was probably a 7 or 8 yesterday on the anxiety meter instead of the usual 9 or 10. I watched a couple of movies with my sons. Concentration was not great but I struggled through it. My appetite seems to be getting better. I was tired at bedtime for the first time (but struggled to sleep initially). I don't know if this is enough to get excited over however. I don't necessarily want to change drugs but wonder about updosing. But I know that's against Alto and Bubble's beliefs. They know better than I do so I'll sit tight.