maria323s withdrawal journey

maria323

Hi, I'm new to this site. I wanted to tell my story in hopes that it may help others reading this. I was taking Cymbalta for many years for anxiety. My therapist recommended I get off it, He didn't think I needed it. He said it was toxic for me to be on it so long. I made the decision to taper off it. I did tons of research on how to taper. I bought a scale and gel caps and measured out the beads. I got down to 9 beads eventually. I stopped taking it April 20, 2015. A few days later my HELL began. I journaled my experience to keep track of all my withdrawal symptoms. I didn't expect the horrific things I felt. I lost my sleep, had brain fog, morning panic, adrenaline surges, heightened state of awareness, nausea, agitation, bouts of weepyness, the list goes on. It seemed to happen in phases that lasted a few weeks to a month each. I didn't have windows and waves for months. It was one massive wave!  I had no Dr. to turn to and when I went to my GP they told me to get back on meds. It truly was the scariest thing I have ever been through. I ended up in urgent care because my anxiety was really bad. I tried so many things, I did accupuncture, MMJ, I even went to a priest. I was really desperate for relief.   I'm 8 months into  withdrawal and I am feeling much better. I still don't have my sleep completely back yet but it's getting there. My advice to anyone thinking about getting off these drugs is do a slowww taper. My taper was much too fast. I would also try to have a Dr. on board who understands what these drugs do to people  I now have a therapist I'm working with and a holistic Psychiatrist who is helping me with supplements. 

On antidepressants for almost 20 years due to situational anxiety. I was in a bad marriage, bad divorce, raising 3 boys by myself, stressful job etc. The drugs were Paxil, Effexor and most recently Cymbalta for 10 years. Each time I tried to get off the drugs I would get panic and anxiety attacks. My Dr. would tell me it was my anxiety coming back so I would get back on the Antidepressant rollercoaster. I had a therapist who told me I should get off the toxic poison. He didn't think I needed it. I tapered off 60 mg over 9 months. I completely stopped the poison on 04/20/2015. I have been in withdrawal for 8 months. I currently suffer from bouts of anxiety, uncontrollable crying, insomnia and fatigue. I was also taking .5 Lorazepam as needed for anxiety and 25 mg of seroquel for sleep. I currently take Snooze-in from Vitamin Shoppe to help with sleep, Spray on Magnesium, Krill oil, Lavender and Frankincense essential oils for relaxation and inositol when I remember to take it:)

Well in the absence of welcoming  voices i would like to give you a warm welcome to sa.

9 months taper off 60mg after 10 years use is actually fast, anyone would think that was slow though  ...how could we ever have known?

Are you able to confirm if you are still taking seroquel and lorazapam?

I'm not sure from your drug sig if you are or not.  When did you start them? Did your doctor advice to you the nature of these two drugs?

You say you did tons of research on how to taper...what taper research did you use to inform your taper ..out of interest?

You might like to read this link

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

and this

Brain remodeling

Dont worry you are not alone i did a clueless taper over about 9 months as well.

welcome

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi Maria, welcome aboard, I think you will find lots of information, support and others struggling just like you. I actually haven't started my taper yet, but so thankful I found this place beforehand. I'm also curious about your tapering method, and how you use the sleep drugs--insomnia is a big issue for me, and I haven't even cut back yet! Where are you now with symptoms?

Sarah

1975--first signs of depression

1981--started on imipramine (Tofranil) for IBS and depression

1983-1986--severe depression, rotated through several drugs, on MAOI for one year, eventually back to tricyclics

1986-1994--chronic low grade depression, on tricyclics

1994-96--severe depression, rotated through several drugs inc. Prozax, Effexor, etc..

1996-2013--chronic low grade depression, SAD, on amitryptiline usual dose 12.5-25mg

flurazepam (Dalmane) as needed for insomnia

2013--developed temazepam (Restoril) dependance for 2 months, tapered off over 1 month

started bio-identical progesterone 5 mg., depression has lifted completely to this day

March 2016--forced to c/t both amitryptiline and flurazepam, zolpidem not helpful

reinstated small dose (.5 mg) amitryptiline due to stomach issues and tapering w/titration

June 19th--jumped from amitryptiline--drug free!

Hi, thanks for responding and welcoming me! I was taking Lorazepam as needed when I lost my sleep and also when the anxiety got really bad. I was prescribed seroquel for sleep about 5 months into withdrawal. I was desperate for sleep and nothing seemed to help. I know Seroquel is an antipsychotic and at a low dose acts as an antihistamine. I currently am taking Snooze-in which is a natural supplement made by Vitamin  Shoppe. It contains Melatonin,Valerian,Scullcap,Hops,Passionflower, Chamomile,Magnesium and Calcium. It is helping me sleep better. I only take the Seroquel if I wake at 2 or 3 and can't get back to sleep. I am really trying to stay away from drugs as much as possible. I got tapering info from the Cymbalta Hurts Worse facebook page and this site as well. I know I should have gone slower but I really didn't think my withdrawal would be as bad as it was. Thank you for the links nz11 :D Sarabera, I have morning anxiety and insomnia mainly.The mornings are really hard for me. I cry almost everyday.

On antidepressants for almost 20 years due to situational anxiety. I was in a bad marriage, bad divorce, raising 3 boys by myself, stressful job etc. The drugs were Paxil, Effexor and most recently Cymbalta for 10 years. Each time I tried to get off the drugs I would get panic and anxiety attacks. My Dr. would tell me it was my anxiety coming back so I would get back on the Antidepressant rollercoaster. I had a therapist who told me I should get off the toxic poison. He didn't think I needed it. I tapered off 60 mg over 9 months. I completely stopped the poison on 04/20/2015. I have been in withdrawal for 8 months. I currently suffer from bouts of anxiety, uncontrollable crying, insomnia and fatigue. I was also taking .5 Lorazepam as needed for anxiety and 25 mg of seroquel for sleep. I currently take Snooze-in from Vitamin Shoppe to help with sleep, Spray on Magnesium, Krill oil, Lavender and Frankincense essential oils for relaxation and inositol when I remember to take it:)

Great thanks for the clarification. 

You are doing fantastic to now be drug free and resolved to continue that way. Great stuff.

The mornings were bad for me too and i  cried daily too.

In time albeit so slowly it did get better.

A great term we use here is AAFT...you might enjoy this link and associated vids

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10964-the-dr-claire-weekes-method-of-recovering-from-a-sensitized-nervous-system/

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

nz11

Thanks for the info on Claire Weekes. I wasn't familiar with her books. I can't tell you how much you have helped me today. My therapist tells me to replace fear with faith which I try to do but that darn fear is so powerful! I have been fighting my symptoms and I know I have to stop that and just let them be. I know they won't kill me. I guess it's the feeling of loss of control of my body that scares me. I know I have come a long way from the early months of withdrawal but it still throws me for a loop when I get hit with waves. Thanks again for your help. I had a really rough day today.

Hi Maria. Welcome. You will find lots of support, encouragement and information here to help you through your withdrawal . You might like to try Magnesium and Omega 3 ( fish oil) as supplements. These are what we recommend and many here have found them useful. Magnesium  would be especially beneficial for your anxiety  and even your insomnia. Some take dissolved Magnesium throughout the day, and find it helpful. It might be worth trying.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/ 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

You are welcome maria, :)

Withdrawal isnt easy but you can do it.

Personally  imo therapist jargon leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to  ssri withdrawal.

To say replace fear with faith is to say you don't have enough faith and that is nonsense, what a guilt trip that person is putting you on... imo. Sorry if i am being a bit critical.

I have been aware of Weekes AAFT for a 2 or 3 years now but just this last year its really grown on me as a significant  weapon in surviving ssri withdrawal and in self-soothing rather than  running here and there for people to 'take it away'.

Love to hear what you think of this ...

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7571-☼-nz11-climbs-onboard/?p=201143

Not that i am against therapy but Petunia sums it up with

"While in withdrawal, look for activities and therapies which help you to accept and manage what you are experiencing, rather than engaging in techniques which are developed to change cognitively based anxiety and fear. Withdrawal symptoms are physiological in nature, they will fade away over time. It can be helpful to learn techniques to control any secondary cognitive fears (about the symptoms and condition), this is where CBT can sometimes be helpful, by learning ways to accept what you are going through and not increasing the anxiety with fearful thoughts."

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10283-polly1974-hello-new-member-here-if-thats-ok/?p=189556

just a little above that post brassmonkey explains it well with [insert mine]

One of the hallmarks of WS is a perceived amplification of [for those that didnt have this as original condition and those that did all feelings emotions thoughts, past hurts] the original condition.  Which, as you are finding out, can be very frightening and debilitating.  The good thing is, as time progresses and healing continues the condition will fade back ...Unfortunately, because it is chemically induced, or as we refer to it a"neuroemotion" there isn't a whole lot that can be done except ride it out.  At thirteen months out you have a good start on it.  There is a technique, AAF (Acknowledge, Accept, Float) that is helpful.  With this you have to Acknowledge what is happening, explore the feeling and understand them.  Then you must Accept that they are real, they can't harm you, and there is nothing you can do about then.  That done you let them float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  Takes a bit of practice, but it can be really helpful.

Its the firing up of these neuroemotions a wdl manifestation that sends people into a state of fear and it is frightening but unless one is aware and has insight it sends people running to the doctor or a councellor (therapist ?)...well thats what it did for me.

This thread allows one insight into it...

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9809-neuro-emotions/

Recovering paxil addict

Alig, Hi thanks for the suggestions. I actually do use Magnesium Spray and Fish oil I should have put that in my introduction. I don't always remember to take them tho:) Nz11, I ordered the book by Claire Weekes "Hope and Help for your nerves" AAFT is something I'm gonna try to implement.  The reason I chose to go to a therapist is because I really needed someone to talk to about what I was going through. I felt so alone. She didn't know that much about SSRI withdrawal but she does have a background in addiction. She gets that she can't take away my withdrawal but she can give me tools to help with regular anxiety.  I actually gave her the website for recovery-road.org and she printed the whole thing out.  She gets that its gonna take time for me to recover.  I want to get my life back and I felt like I needed help going forward.  I feel a lot of guilt and sadness about what I put my family through. I do have a good support system at home I call my mom when I feel bad(which is almost everyday) sometimes I go to her house and just cry and she reassures me that I'm getting better. My fiancé is also supportive but he's not the most sensitive person in the world. For the longest time he would question my decision to get off Cymbalta.

• Moderator Emeritus

My fiancé is also supportive but he's not the most sensitive person in the world. For the longest time he would question my decision to get off Cymbalta.

Welcome to the site, Maria.  You are really doing quite well given the time and amount you were on and the speed of taper. 

I highlighted the above because this is all too common -- the other partner in a relationship doesn't want the "patient" to get off the meds because they were "helping".  There is plenty of material on this site and elsewhere that shows the long-term downsides of being on these and other psych meds.  If your fiancé, sensitive or not, cares about you, perhaps he will be willing to do a little reading so he can see that what you are doing is in his best interest if he's hoping to have you "whole" for the remainder of your time together.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hi Andy, thanks yeah what I did was I had him read the recovery-road.org website. The do's and don'ts page and how to care for someone goinng through withdrawal.  I think he finally realizes that I'm trying to heal from this poison so I can live a healthier life. You are right though. He didn't understand at first. I guess it's like if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He also is surrounded by people on these meds. His mom is on Prozac, my mom and brother are on Cymbalta, my aunt is on Prozac. They all recommended I get back on meds. when I was in acute withdrawal. I actually bought into it and got on Zoloft for 3 months because I was so damn scared of what my body was going through. I then realized I was making a huge mistake and got off it.  

Hey Maria

Just wanted to put in two other book rec's ...its info dumping i know so sorry bout that

Anatomy of an epidemic by Whitaker

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Epidemic-Bullets-Psychiatric-Astonishing-ebook/dp/B0036S4EGE/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1452277440&sr=1-1&keywords=anatomy+of+an+epidemic+by+robert+whitaker

And Psychiatric drug withdrawal by Breggin

http://www.breggin.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=296

Im sure you can get these from the library .

Great idea to get the fiance to check out this site.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

Maria , It can really make a huge difference , if you can educate your partner about this . NZ11 has given you some good books to read.  Hopefully ,you can get your partner to read them , however if he's like my husband you will have to read bits & pieces, to him whenever you can get his attention !  LOL.  :)  Which isn't often! 

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks guys! I read Breggins book but I haven't read Whitakers. My Fiance' is a great guy but he is a fixer. I think it frustrates him that he can't fix what i'm going through. Ali I'm pretty sure he has ADHD so it's hard to get him to listen sometimes :D

Hi, I'm almost 9 months off Cymbalta and I hit a wave that is totally debilitating. I'm jittery during the day and having anxiety attacks at night. When does this end? prior to this I would feel bad during the day and the evening would be better. I was able to rest at night.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Maria , welcome to the site.

It's not uncommon for things to get rocky at around 9 months off , especially after 20 years of AD's.

You need to manage one day , each moment , at a time. You know that none of the symptoms are permanent , and they can disappear as quickly as they arrived.

Try to stay calm , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks fresh! I went to a reflexologist yesterday and it actually seemed to help. thanks for the encouraging words :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have been in a wave for a month now. I feel so discouraged that at 9 months out I feel so sick. It's the first time I actually have to ask my family to help me do things. The fear/terror that comes with it is debilitating. I'm shakey, emotional and my body is revved up. Any advice on how to get through this would be appreciated.

Hello Maria - so sorry you are having such a rough time. Unfortunately we can't always control these nasty symptoms and how long they last. We can however try different ways of coping with them.

Are you able to get outside for a walk each day or a gentle activity. Maybe do something you enjoy that wi

ll distract you from the symptoms?

I found the above and doing progressive relaxation exercises and mindfulness help me a lot. It's just finding something that works for you.

Just try to stay calm and accept what is happening to you and know that it will pass. Just try to take one day at a time.

Hugs from Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Thanks flowers. I do get out and walk everyday and I try to distract myself as much as possible. This wave for some reason brings on intense feelings of desperation and panic. It's really hard to ride it out. This is the first time that a wave has left me so exhausted that I can't even clean my house :(

• 3 weeks later...

I am 10 months off Cymbalta and still in a wave. It comes on around 9-10 in the morning. It feels like my nerves are out of control. I cry everyday. Has anyone else experienced this at 10 months out? I'm starting to think there's something else wrong with me:(

Yes I was like this for about two years. I noticed my first window in the morning at about 16 months.

Up until four years I would cry very easily for little if any reason, and it was embarrassing in the presence of others.

This is withdrawal. It will recede in time.

Well done on being 10 months drug free. That is a huge accomplishment.

Keep on banking drug free days and better days are ahead.

Recovering paxil addict

NZ11, I'm having a hard time with this wave. I didn't expect it to go on this long and even my doctors say it's not WD that the crying is the return of my underlying condition. I never had depression before I was put on this poison. It just gets so discouraging when the docs don't even believe me.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Maria,

Lots of people still experience symptoms at 10 months off, especially after a too fast taper and if you complain to your doctor, it will be called a relapse of previous condition or diagnosed as a new condition. At the moment, medicine doesn't recognize antidepressant withdrawal that lasts longer than a few weeks, so we have to hold onto our truth and do the best we can with help and support from the online withdrawal communities... like this one.

Feeling worse in the mornings is a common pattern, its connected with our cortisol cycle. When I was at my worst, I would start feeling bad around 4am - 5am and be at my worst at 8am, I could almost set a clock by it. I still have the same pattern, but nowhere near as bad as it was, so don't worry, its quite normal. Have a look through this topic:  Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes ...

How often do you take seroquel and lorazepam now?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petunia. I felt so discouraged when my Gp and Psych said that withdrawal doesn't last this long. I too used to wake with the morning panic at 4 am. It has changed now. It feels like it's in my chest and it ramps up between 9-10. It was really bad a few weeks ago. My nerves were all over the place. It felt like I had snakes in my chest. It's probably one of the scariest waves I have had. I seriously have been crying for two months straight when the attacks hit me. I wasn't taking the Lorazepam until I got hit with this wave in Jan. I was in desperation mode. I don't like taking Benzos but I needed the relief. I don't take the Seroquel anymore either

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you are starting to feel a little better now? The wave is subsiding?

If you have to take a benzo, try and limit it to no more than once or twice a week. Taken regularly, you can become physically dependent within 2 weeks, sometimes even less. In a nervous system sensitized by withdrawal, benzos can cause adverse effects like rebound withdrawal and sometimes increased anxiety, so you do need to be careful with them.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

The wave has calmed down but it's still bad. I know how bad the benzos are and I only take them if I'm feeling desperation. I'm totally petrified of getting hooked on them. Thanks for the advice!

my doctors say it's not WD that the crying is the return of my underlying condition.

We have all had this insult to our intelligence.

I made a decision when this happened to keep right away from them.

18 months later i scraped myself off the floor and gathered strength to complain. The powers to be turned on me and said well why did you wait so long to tell us about issues. You've just been reading the internet.

The thing is if i had, what would they have said and done. They would have repeated the Bovine excrement ...'you have an underlying depression' thats what.

Personally i would fight really hard to not go to benzos.

Its ok to choose 'suffering' .imo.

Something i used sometimes and it may have been a total placebo but it did i feel help, was, i think its called, 'Bach flower ' drops.

Fresh will probably know more on this. But you put it under your tongue. I sometimes did that in the morning hell. 

Recovering paxil addict

NZ11, I realize now that no doc is gonna buy into the WD theory. My GP even said " If you had diabetes wouldn't you cure it"?  I have done more than my fair share of suffering to avoid using the benzos but it became a matter of emotional safety for me. I was in a really bad place and couldn't calm myself  down. I will look into the bach drops, anything for relief :D

My GP even said " If you had diabetes wouldn't you cure it"? 

I would ask this GP what are the normal blood sugar ranges and at what point blood sugar levels become abnormal, leading directly to a diagnosis of diabetes.

Then ask if it would be considered medically negligent to adopt a diagnosis of diabetes without taking a blood sugar level.

Then when he has told you that ask, And what is the normal brain serotonin level ?

And what is the normal and abnormal range of brain serotonin?

(The fact is it's impossible to measure the serotonin levels in the brain of a living person.) so he wont be able to answer this.

In that case then why are you prescribing me serotenergic chemicals without any knowledge of my serotonin levels?

This doctor is articulating misinformation, a myth, a delusional belief, a pharmaceutical marketing strategy. 

Recovering paxil addict

nz11 in my opinion you are correct in everything that you say well done!!

If only more people would take this stance but alas doctors think they know best after all they trained and studied for at least 5 years to get where they are.  But they cannot specialise in everything and so unfortunately they have to give their informed (and often) bad opinion.

Just wanted to say Hi to Maria and also to add another good couple of reads to the collection

Paul David - At Last a Life http://www.amazon.co.uk/At-Last-Life-Paul-David/dp/0956948103/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456221982&sr=8-1&keywords=paul+david

Paul David - At Last a Life and Beyond http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Life-Beyond-Paul-David-ebook/dp/B01494XZCM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456221982&sr=8-3&keywords=paul+david

Namaste,

DC.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

NZ11, I would have confronted him about what he was saying to me if I wasn't feeling so sick. My hope is someday I can walk into his office med free and say he was wrong about me. First I have to stop the crying :D,  Thank you Dc for the book recommendations. I will look into them :)

• 7 months later...

... I'm 8 months into  withdrawal and I am feeling much better. I still don't have my sleep completely back yet but it's getting there. My advice to anyone thinking about getting off these drugs is do a slowww taper. My taper was much too fast. I would also try to have a Dr. on board who understands what these drugs do to people  I now have a therapist I'm working with and a holistic Psychiatrist who is helping me with supplements. 

Hi, did your sleep ever return to normal? How long did it take?

• 1992-Feb. 2016- Took almost every antidepressant on the market. Cold turkeyed most of the medications I took.

Stopped taking Paxil February 8 2016. I tapered the dose from 50 mg to 0 over the course of about 10 weeks

On no medications as of Feb. 8, 2016

As of 10/23/16-Still unable to sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night, sometimes less