Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression, withdrawal symptoms, insomnia

Nadia

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fellow Aussies, you might be interested in this.

When researching it if another Surviving Antidepressants member, I discovered it is for all Australians (not just NSW).

You might want to consider the MindSpot Clinic.  There are 6 tailored courses.

Information Brochure About MindSpot            Website:  https://mindspot.org.au/

It's FREE for Australians.  I highly recommend it.

My Story:  Prior to the workshop I had been seeing a psychologist and also read several books and done a lot of internet research.  Even though I know most of what the workshop taught, I found that it brought together everything I knew in a simple way and encouraged me to put what I learned into practice.  I did the 8 week online workshop through them at the end of 2014 and have found it very helpful.  It has helped me to recognise when I am getting anxious and has taught me the skills I need to reduce it.

How It Helped:  Just before Christmas 2015 I had to go shopping and was sitting at the computer and was feeling sick in the stomach and starting to stress out about what I had to do.  Because of what I had learned, I recognised that the sick feeling was the adrenaline so I did controlled breathing and was able to calm myself down and stop a full on panic attack.  And managed to go out and do what I needed to do.  Whilst driving there I kept telling myself that I could do it and would be okay.

CBT cognitive behaviour therapy (added so it can be found when searching)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 2:39 AM, ChessieCat said:

Just before Christmas 2015 I had to go shopping and was sitting at the computer and was feeling sick in the stomach and starting to stress out about what I had to do.  Because of what I had learned, I recognised that the sick feeling was the adrenaline so I did controlled breathing and was able to calm myself down and stop a full on panic attack.  And managed to go out and do what I needed to do.  Whilst driving there I kept telling myself that I could do it and would be okay.

This is a great example of what I also learned with CBT, an aspect of which was to understand the physiology of a panic attack and how to respond to it. With repeated use, such an exercise can reduce panic such that it never bothers a patient again. The mind is an amazing thing! 

2012: 2 weeks of paroxetine, I cannot recall the dose. Strong side effects, stopped cold turkey, had intense, horrible withdrawal thereafter

2012 to 2016: Fluoxetine 40mg daily, sometimes 20mg daily, a couple of bad tapers under doctor's advisement, increasingly bad withdrawal symptoms with each major dose change

Oct 2016 to June 2017: 10-month reinstatement of 20mg fluoxetine daily to stabilize. A very difficult period but withdrawal gradually improved

July 2017: At 20mg (100%), started a linear tapering regimen using water titration (20mg fluoxetine into 300ml of water).

June 2019: Currently at 0.200mg (1.00%). I have many symptoms, most I attribute to fluoxetine, some to withdrawal, and the rest to hypothyroidism. Continuing to reduce anyway.

July 2019: Jumped from 0.066mg (0.33%) to 0.000mg (0.00%); I'm now free of the poison.

My introduction thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/14226-kittygiggles-generic-prozac-fluoxetine-stabilization/

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 months later...

Helpful CBT podcasts

I hope this is not inappropriate material. If so, I ask the moderators to delete it. But I just thought this might be helpful to some members who are having trouble finding therapy or getting started with CBT. Dr. Julie Osborn is  a licensed CBT therapist in California.  I have gotten wonderful help from her - turned my life around. She now has free podcasts, and she also has a Facebook page. I am not trying to promote her, and cannot advocate whether she is right for you, but I find the podcasts interesting and helpful. It might be just a place to start. Here is the link to her facebook page, and all the podcasts are on that page. Hope this is helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/Julie-L-Osborn-LCSW-PsyD-112027538863327

Link to free Spotify podcasts  You do need to create a Spotify account, but it is FREE.

Edited by ChessieCat
Added link to spotify

Celexa - 20 mg May 2015 - March 2016 (Felt quite good)..... Celexa taper from May 2016 - Nov 2016.....Completely off by Nov. 2016.

Depression and Anxiety returned June 2017

July, 2017: Zoloft = 25 mg;  Aug. 2017 = 37.5 mg; Nov. 2017 = 50 mg thru Jan. 23, 2018.

Jan. 2018 - May 6, 2019 = taper Zoloft from 50 mg to 12.5 mg.  Aug. 11, 2019 - felt so bad that I reinstated at 25mg. Hold at this dose until Feb. 3, 2020

Feb. 4, 2020 = reduce dose to 21.875 mg. Hold for 10 weeks. April 14, 2020 = 18.75 mg. Hold for 10 weeks.  

June10, 2020 - start cycle of 2 weeks to taper slowly from old dose to new dose, then hold at new dose for 6 weeks.

June 23, 2020  = 16.66 mg.........August 26, 2020 = 14.75 mg ....... October 28, 2020 = 13.15 mg

2021: Jan. 1 = 11.85 mg....Feb. 26 = 10.5 mg....April 23 = 9.3 mg....June 12 = 8.33 mg.... Aug. 7 = 7.05 mg.....Oct. 9 = 6.08 mg.....Dec. 4 = 5.12 mg......Jan. 21, 2022 = 4.16mg.....Mar. 26 = 3.20mg......May 7 = 1.92mg....June 11 = 1.6mg.....July 23= 1.28 mg.....Aug. 13 = 0.96 mg.....Sept. 1 =O mg.

• 5 months later...

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of CBTi for withdrawal insomnia please?  

It is being hailed as the gold-standard non-pharmacological tool for insomnia and I wonder if it is any good for the chemically-mediated insomnia I seem to be suffering with?

I'd love to hear any experience before I spend money on this!

Thanks

pecanut

Lithium 15 years 800mg I remain on this

Many SSRIs intermittently over this period

Tapered and quit Citalopram 2017

Started Quetiapine 100mg and Sertraline 50mg 2018

Stopped Quetiapine due to daytime sedation, 4 week taper 2019

Very slow taper of Sertraline 50mg using liquid over 8 months, finishing in September 2020 on a 4mg dose.  I did not keep a record of the taper but I thought at the time I was doing it slowly and responsibly.  Clearly it was way too fast and too abrupt at the end.  

Currently only on Lithium at 800mg

Hello Pecanut

I have not heard of it and am also a fellow WD insomnia sufferer so will be interest to follow.

Started venlafaxine December 2016. Started to wean off Effexor over 16 months period and I had no issues at all. Stopped June 2020.  Unfortunately, I was under chronic stress from 4 deaths (1 was my mother) in the family amongst other things  and sunk back down in October 2020.  Rather than accepting this was chronic stress and grief, I panicked and went to the GP.

October 2020 prescribed Vortioxetine 10mg for 1 month and then increased to 15 mg ups advice from GP on for 7 weeks in total.  Had suicidal thoughts and off the wall anxiety.  Changed to Lexapro in mid December 2020, slow titration from 2.5mg up to 10mg.  After 7 weeks again off the wall anxiety. I was advised to take 5mg for one week and stop as I want to go 'au natural'.  Last SSRI was 30 January 2021.  

I was also prescribed diazepam and Zopiclone through the 4 months of taking SSRis to 'manage' the side effects and also for the withdrawal.   I am probably withdrawing from all drugs.

Thanks Boo Boo

I will keep you posted; I'm meant to start 22 March and it's £80 a session and takes 5 sessions but I'm not convinced it will work for withdrawal insomnia and am also feeling v v wobbly at the moment and wonder if it's the right time...

pecanut

Lithium 15 years 800mg I remain on this

Many SSRIs intermittently over this period

Tapered and quit Citalopram 2017

Started Quetiapine 100mg and Sertraline 50mg 2018

Stopped Quetiapine due to daytime sedation, 4 week taper 2019

Very slow taper of Sertraline 50mg using liquid over 8 months, finishing in September 2020 on a 4mg dose.  I did not keep a record of the taper but I thought at the time I was doing it slowly and responsibly.  Clearly it was way too fast and too abrupt at the end.  

Currently only on Lithium at 800mg

• Altostrata changed the title to Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression, withdrawal symptoms, insomnia

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy