Nadia

Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression, and withdrawal symptoms

ChessieCat

Hi Fellow Aussies, you might be interested in this.

When researching it if another Surviving Antidepressants member, I discovered it is for all Australians (not just NSW).

You might want to consider the MindSpot Clinic.  There are 6 tailored courses.

Information Brochure About MindSpot            Website:  https://mindspot.org.au/

It's FREE for Australians.  I highly recommend it.

My Story:  Prior to the workshop I had been seeing a psychologist and also read several books and done a lot of internet research.  Even though I know most of what the workshop taught, I found that it brought together everything I knew in a simple way and encouraged me to put what I learned into practice.  I did the 8 week online workshop through them at the end of 2014 and have found it very helpful.  It has helped me to recognise when I am getting anxious and has taught me the skills I need to reduce it.

How It Helped:  Just before Christmas 2015 I had to go shopping and was sitting at the computer and was feeling sick in the stomach and starting to stress out about what I had to do.  Because of what I had learned, I recognised that the sick feeling was the adrenaline so I did controlled breathing and was able to calm myself down and stop a full on panic attack.  And managed to go out and do what I needed to do.  Whilst driving there I kept telling myself that I could do it and would be okay.

CBT cognitive behaviour therapy (added so it can be found when searching)

Kittygiggles
On 2/5/2019 at 2:39 AM, ChessieCat said:

Just before Christmas 2015 I had to go shopping and was sitting at the computer and was feeling sick in the stomach and starting to stress out about what I had to do.  Because of what I had learned, I recognised that the sick feeling was the adrenaline so I did controlled breathing and was able to calm myself down and stop a full on panic attack.  And managed to go out and do what I needed to do.  Whilst driving there I kept telling myself that I could do it and would be okay.

This is a great example of what I also learned with CBT, an aspect of which was to understand the physiology of a panic attack and how to respond to it. With repeated use, such an exercise can reduce panic such that it never bothers a patient again. The mind is an amazing thing! 

ChessieCat