SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Depresstothecore: Struck after lexapro adverse reaction

Depresstothecore

took escitalopram for 5 years .but iwas having increase body temperature and cough with mucus .my blood sugar levels increased .while ob medication i got panic attack in september.next day after taking tablet again got panic attack much severe than previous one.got stomach and leg cramps, diarrhoea. My body temp increased to 100 degree farenheit.

then i started to taper it .during taperring my body temperature got normal.blood sugar got normal.panic attacjs vanished. But after 4 days after quitting medicine i started to habe brain zaps., tingling in body .i knew about them .so i continue .after 1 month it subsided .i was very happy that all my problems sorted out.but on 6 dec in morning i started having tinnitus in both ears.it increased my anxiety .

4days later i had feeling during sleep like i was out of my body.i was in half awake state. 3days later i started having confused thoughts during initial phase of sleep .i couldnt differentiate between dreams and that phase of sleep .it is half awake state for me.i am having night mares .night terrors.cant sleep more than 2-3 hours in night.

since last few days my vision has blurred , i can see lot of floaters, vision is vibrating .head and body is also vibrating.after images of bright objects stay longer.my life has become living hell.each day my suffering is increasing.my psychiatrist is advising me mirtazapine or paxil.dont know what to do. I to tried take 2.5 mg escitalopram last week but next day agin got diarrhoea and stomach cramps.now getting suicidal thoughts.i am new ti this site so dont know where to post .so iam poating it here .please help.

Edited by JanCarol
line breaks for clarity

Drug history -escitalopram 10 mg for ocd for 5 years.had to tapper quickly because of drug reaction.started tappering in mid sep 2015 and ckmpleted it in 5 weeks.got acute withdrawal with brain zaps,tingling and numbness in body appeared after few days but subsided completely in mid november.but after 20 days on 6th dec started having new symptoms.which are still increasing .now my symptoms are - tinnitus in ear, blurred vision,floaters, light senstivity. .shaking feeling inside my head .shaky vision, vibrating and twitching feeling in whole body.extreme mood swing ,depression, could not sleep more than 2 hours, confused thoughts in mind before sleeping after closing eyes.intrusive thoughts .

Started fluoxitene 20 mg and clonax 0.5 mg

On 28th feb 2015.

Stopped clonax on 20th march.continuing on 20 mg fluoxietene.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Depresstothecore

• bubble

• SquirrellyGirl

• LexAnger

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to SA! You will find a lot of great support here. A moderator will be along soon to welcome you properly but until then, can you give us more information on how exactly you tapered the Lexapro? Seeing your medication history with doses and dates will help people advise you better. It definitely sounds like you are in withdrawal. I know it's terrifying but we have all been there and you are going to get through it.

Trying to get off Paxil since 2007. Was tapering by 0.1 mg every 4-5 weeks. Had awful crash in November 2015 at .5 mg; updosed gradually to 2 mg. 

Doing better and tapering again, much slower this time.  2016: Dropped from 2 mg to 1.62 mg.  2017:  1.62 mg to 1.2 mg. 2018: 1.2 mg to .76 mg. 2019: .76 mg to .56 mg. 2020: .56 mg to .33 mg. 2021: .33 mg to .13 mg. 2022: .13 mg to .03 mg. 6/12/23 .002 mg. OFF PAXIL 9/4/23

Started Klonopin in November 2015 to deal with crash. 1/10/16 started milk titration taper from .5 mg. Finished taper 12/6/17. Still take Klonopin for agoraphobia 2 - 3 times a week. 

I have been taking escitalopram fir 5 years for ocd.on 6 sept 2015 i got panic attack. Next day after taking escitalopram got panic attack again.my temp increased , muscle cramps, diarrhoea , pain in ribs.my doctor advised me to increase dosage and add clonazepam. But i did nt get any relief .i got panic attacks every 2-3 hours.on 14 sep i decided to taper.i tappered to 7.5 next week to 5 then next week to 5 mg .at 5 mg also i was having severe anxiety .but my body temp decreased to 99 farenheit.so on 20th oct i was completely off the drug. One week later i started having brain zaps and tingling ,numbness.but it subsided on 10 th nov.i was completely normal.but as i mentioned above i again started having worst symptoms after 6 december.as now body cant bear escitalopram. I tried 2.5 mg on 28th dec but again having muscle cramps .stomach ache diarrhoea.my doctor wants me to put me on mirtazapine or paxil.cant decide what to do.

Drug history -escitalopram 10 mg for ocd for 5 years.had to tapper quickly because of drug reaction.started tappering in mid sep 2015 and ckmpleted it in 5 weeks.got acute withdrawal with brain zaps,tingling and numbness in body appeared after few days but subsided completely in mid november.but after 20 days on 6th dec started having new symptoms.which are still increasing .now my symptoms are - tinnitus in ear, blurred vision,floaters, light senstivity. .shaking feeling inside my head .shaky vision, vibrating and twitching feeling in whole body.extreme mood swing ,depression, could not sleep more than 2 hours, confused thoughts in mind before sleeping after closing eyes.intrusive thoughts .

On 28th feb 2015.

Can any one please help me . I desperately need help.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Depress. We were try to offer our best suggestions.

I must say it is a bit unusual that one develops such severe symptoms while still on the drug. If you go back to September when the symptoms started was there anything that you changed either about the drug or about your lifestyle? Did anything stressful happen?

What dose of escitalopram were you taking? Was it the same in the whole period while on the drug including till September?

Could you please put your drug history in your signature (drugs, date, dose & how you went off them).  These are the instructions for creating your signature

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Dear bubble,

I forget to mention that due ti my raised body temp and cough my pulmonologist advised to start imperical anti tubercular therapy in april. I took isoniazid , rifampicin, ethambutol, pyrazinamide, vit b6 for 5 months.after taking for 5 months with no improvement i was advised to stop 2 drugs. The day i stopped taking pyrazinamide and ethambutol i started to begin anxious. 2 days after i cant bear the anxiety so i stopped all the drugs.but was feeling very jittery .at night i got my first panic attack.dont know was there any drug interaction.raised body temp and cough was great cause of very since last 3 years.but i couldnt figure that out that it was due to escitalopram. This i realised now as my temp is now normal and i dont have cough anymore. If i knew it i would have stopped taking escitalopram long ago.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

This information of course completely changes everything. What a mix :( I put all of these drugs which you were obviously taking together for 5 months into a drug interactions checker.

I hope the results don't scare you but they might prompt you to take some action against the doctor who put you on all these drugs at once...

I would agree with you that coughing and change in body temperature might have been side effects of escitalopram (what dose were you on?) But after that doctor put you on all those drugs no wonder you developed all sorts of symptoms...

We will figure out what would be the best course of action now. But it might be a relief for you to know that everything that you are going through now is induced by drugs. It is temporary and it will pass.

When exactly did you stop taking the drugs?

Can you please enter all this information in your signature?

Interactions between your selected drugs  
Major
rifampin  isoniazid  

Applies to: rifampin, isoniazid

Using isoniazid together with rifampin can cause serious side effects that may affect your liver. Call your doctor immediately if you experience a fever, chills, joint pain or swelling, excessive tiredness or weakness, unusual bleeding or bruising, skin rash or itching, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, or yellowing of the skin or the whites of your eyes. If your doctor does prescribe these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Major
rifampin  pyrazinamide  

Applies to: rifampin, pyrazinamide

Ask your doctor before using rifampin together with pyrazinamide. This can cause damage to the liver. Liver function and drug levels in the blood may be monitored with blood tests during treatment. Call your doctor if you experience fever, rash, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, right upper abdominal pain, dark urine, and jaundice. You may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
ethambutol  isoniazid  

Applies to: ethambutol, isoniazid

Talk to your doctor before using ethambutol together with isoniazid. Combining these medications may increase the risk of nerve damage. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. Let your doctor know if you develop numbness, pain, burning, or tingling in your hands and feet. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
rifampin  escitalopram  

Applies to: rifampin, Lexapro (escitalopram)

Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.

MONITOR: Coadministration with rifampin may decrease the plasma concentrations of drugs that are metabolized by CYP450 isoenzymes.

MANAGEMENT: Caution is advised when rifampin is used concomitantly with medications that are substrates of CYP450 isoenzymes. Dosage adjustments as well as clinical and laboratory monitoring may be appropriate for some drugs whenever rifampin is added to or withdrawn from therapy.

Moderate
isoniazid  escitalopram  

Applies to: isoniazid, Lexapro (escitalopram)

Talk to your doctor before using escitalopram together with isoniazid. Combining these medications may increase the blood levels and effects of escitalopram. You may have an increased risk of developing side effects, including irregular heart rhythm and a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.
Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact with   Interactions between your selected drugs and food  
Moderate
isoniazid  food  

Applies to: isoniazid

Food decreases the levels of isoniazid in your body. Take isoniazid on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. This will make it easier for your body to absorb the medication. If nausea occurs, ask your doctor if you can take isoniazid with food. Avoid alcohol while taking isoniazid. Alcohol may increase the risk of damage to the liver during isoniazid treatment. Alcohol can also cause isoniazid side effects to get worse. Contact your doctor if you experience flushing, chills, headache, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Moderate
escitalopram  food  

Applies to: Lexapro (escitalopram)

Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous system depression and/or impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving CNS-active agents should be warned of this interaction and advised to avoid or limit consumption of alcohol. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

Therapeutic duplication warnings  

Therapeutic duplication is the use of more than one medicine from the same drug category or therapeutic class to treat the same condition. This can be intentional in cases where drugs with similar actions are used together for demonstrated therapeutic benefit. It can also be unintentional in cases where a patient has been treated by more than one doctor, or had prescriptions filled at more than one pharmacy, and can have potentially adverse consequences.

Duplication
Miscellaneous antituberculosis agents  

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'miscellaneous antituberculosis agents' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'miscellaneous antituberculosis agents' category:

• ethambutol
  • pyrazinamide

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Duplication
Antituberculosis agents  

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'antituberculosis agents' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes four medicines belonging to the 'antituberculosis agents' category:

• ethambutol
  • pyrazinamide
  • isoniazid
  • rifampin

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Duplication
Anti-infectives  

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'anti-infectives' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes four medicines belonging to the 'anti-infectives' category:

• ethambutol
  • pyrazinamide
  • isoniazid
  • rifampin

See also...  

Drug Interaction Classification  

The classifications below are a guideline only. The relevance of a particular drug interaction to a specific patient is difficult to determine using this tool alone given the large number of variables that may apply.

Major Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit. Moderate Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances. Minor Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.

Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Welcome, Depress.

As bubble showed, taking that combination of drugs with escilatopram caused a serious adverse drug reaction. Then, when you went off escilatopram, you developed withdrawal syndrome, from which you are still suffering. Please read

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

As you had the earlier adverse reaction and another bad reaction to 2.5mg escilatopram, I hesitate to suggest reinstatement, but it is possible a very small amount, such as .5mg might work better than 2.5mg. You would taper off by tiny amounts later. See About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

HI DTTC, 

I just wanted to add a welcome, glad you have found this place!  You are in good hands.  Bubble and Alto have already furnished you with lots of good information.  I just wanted to add a little more.  

From your first post it is clear that you are pretty distressed, and believe me just about everyone here has been in your shoes in some way, shape, or form.  It is important to recognize that your emotional state is also likely part of withdrawal.  You can read about "neuro emotions" in the Symptoms and Self Care sub-forum here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

In that forum there are lots of threads about what people have found to be helpful.  Right now it is important to nurture yourself and recognize that this is withdrawal and that this is also not permanent.  Our nervous systems can and will heal; it's just a matter of time and taking care of ourselves in the process.  

A common phenomenon when we are in a wave and suffering neuro emotions is to get more and more stressed about how badly we are feeling, urgently trying to find something that we can DO to stop the distress.  Unfortunately, this ends up being a feedback loop, where ruminating over the distress causes more distress and hampers getting out of that place.  Again, many of us have been there.  

Now is the time to stop and take some deep breaths, feeling the air entering you nose, the rise of the belly, and the feeling of the air leaving your mouth.  If your thoughts take off on you again, try to interrupt them and focus on the breath.  Many find guided meditations to be helpful in calming the stress, quieting the mind.  There are links for meditations in that forum.

You are in good hands, DTTC!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Thanks all.

But all these medicines are usually taken together for tuberculosis.it is not common in western countries but here in developing countries its common.vit b6 is always given with isoniazid.interaction of escitalopram with isoniazid is not clearly mentioned .i dont want any legal action because he is fruend of mine. My brother who was also on escitalopram had tuberculosis 3 year back. He took all these medicined tigether for 1.5 years without any side effect. I just want my life back.i am afraid of taking new ssri which can havd similar side effectd.i am very afraid and confused about what to do now.its very scary.

On 28th feb 2015.

Maybe i suffered from mild form of serotonin syndrome.my symptoms was quiet similar to it .i got fever , tremors, intense sweating, abdominal cramps, calf and thigh ms cramps. My heart rate was more than 100.my blood pressure was 140/85. My usual bp is always in range of 100-110/74-80. It was high for me.i got relieved after decreasing dose.

On 28th feb 2015.

I faced acute withdrawal after quitting medicine. But it subsided in middle of november. Everything was fine until 6 december. Dont know is it withdrawal or i am going schizophrenic.

On 28th feb 2015.

Dont know whether it is withdrawal symptom ir due to extreme anxiety , i am having feeling like my vision and body is shaking. Went outside my house today. I was feeling like everything has changed .like i am gliding in air. I was scared of everything like buses, trucks ,people.i even dont want to talk to my friends anymore.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

I once had my eyeballs feel like they were vibrating in their sockets, and I've had the sensation like inside my chest was shaking, though brief.  I've read of people being able to "hear" their eyeballs move in withdrawal!  It sounds to me like you are experiencing depersonalization/derealization, which is also possible in withdrawal.  I'm pretty sure I had that while in protracted withdrawal  One day I just felt intensely fearful, a sense of doom, and the light of day just seemed different, like everything had changed somehow and I wasn't a part of it.  I think that is the derealization.  It passed.

I think your system has been highly sensitized from your drug history and the best thing you can do right now is try not to take anything else!  If you can take fish oil, 2 g/day, some find that very helpful for brain zaps and the like, and I think it is just a very good fat to have on hand for brain healing.  Also, the magnesium.  I like the chelated version magnesium glycinate, no digestive problems with hit.  

I was in withdrawal from Effexor but it hadn't gotten bad, yet.  I went to a new pyschiatrist who put me on Viibryd.  The starting dose wasn't bad but when I was bumped up to twice as much, I completely came to pieces with severe anxiety, depression and insomnia; such doom and dread I had never known before!

I would not go to a new SSRI for the same reason that I got into trouble with the Viibryd.  Did you try the small reinstatement dose that Alto mentioned?

If you could fill out your drug history in your signature it would be very helpful to all who drop in to your thread to see at a glance.  The instructions on how to do so are here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

You can see other peoples' signatures to get an idea of what we are looking for.

As for serotonin syndrome, are you taking any serotonergic supplements like 5-htp, Sam-E, St. John's Wort or tryptophan?  So you are taking no psychiatric medications now?  I would think that any risk of serotonin syndrome would have passed unless you are taking such supplements.

My doctor put me on mirtazapine while I was in withdrawal from Effexor; no one realized I was in withdrawal.  I had been taking serotonergic supplements instead of Effexor, but they weren't working.  So, I stopped them and took a tiny dose of Effexor.  Then, the next day I took a little more Effexor.  By the third day I was feeling really weird, had taken 37.5 mg that morning, and by the afternoon I was having mild serotonin syndrome!  Similar symptoms as you mentioned. I stopped everything and saw my p-doc three days later.  He put my on 7.5 mg Remeron because i couldn't eat, sleep, and had lost weight.  He said it was "gentle."  i have since read it is sometimes used to help SS. It works on different receptors. 

Well, I tolerated it well and seemed to get some relief, but very quickly it wasn't working for anything other than sleep and before I knew it I was up to almost the highest dose and completely miserable!  I think it just couldn't contend with the Effexor WD.  I was then reinstated on Effexor and felt dramatically better, probably because I was getting the fix I needed!

I am now trying to taper off two drugs rather than one!

What symptoms are you having now?  I would say that extreme anxiety IS the withdrawal symptom.  

What you need to understand is that this is all likely withdrawal, but that these symptoms are signs that your nervous system is healing and trying to find its way back to homeostasis.  Adding more things into the mix now will possibly make things worse.  But do know that this won't last forever and that you are healing!  It's hard to accept the symptoms when they make you feel very frightened, but they won't hurt you and the best thing you can do is try to relax and not fight against them; doing so makes it worse.  Meditation can be very helpful.   Try not to think towards the future with fear of this never ending or getting worse; to do so will only further your suffering.  Try to think in terms of this minute, and then the next...At this moment I am ok, I can handle this right now.  I can make it to tomorrow and I'm just not gong to think beyond that right now.  

Many here have learned the wisdom of Acceptance, being with the discomfort rather than fighting it, and letting it float on by.  It takes work but you can do it!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

Dear alto

Minimum dose tablet is 5mg.

How to take .5 mg.can i dissolve in water like say 1 tablet of 5mg in 10 ml and take 1 ml. Because syrup is not available in my country.

@ squirelly

I am having strange feeling in my whole body.as everything is vibrating .i can feel trembling in my muscles , in vision, in my chest.i am also having palpilations.maybe all this is due to my stress.my heart is beating at around 90/min. This is very bad phase of my life .i was thinking of marriage in few months .i had to quit my job because of this poison called escitalopram. I wasted lot of money because of fever and cough which i got because of this medicine.no doctor told me that it was because of medicine. Last year i have my whole body scan to find some hidden pathology of this fever and cough.now after 4 years of trauma of continuosly coughing and fever now i came to know that it was because of escitalopram.after quitting escitalopram my fever and cough has gone .but it is of no use as my life has entered into new hell .

On 28th feb 2015.

One thing i forget to mention that escitalopram causes so much weight gain.when i started this medicine my weight was 76 kg before quitting this medicine in october was around 104 kg.so gain of around 28 kg.after quitting this now my weight has returned to 91 kg.in october my fasting blood sugar level increased to 126 mg/dl. Upto 110 is normal. 110-126 is prediabetic. More than 126 is diabetic. Now my fasting sugar level is 88 mg/dl.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Weight gain is a very common side effect of escitalopram. But on low doses this and other side effects you had should be minimal.

Even if the drug isn't helping and is causing side effects after 5 years on your brain has physically changed and built itself around it like a root around a trellis. Removing the drug abruptly without enough time for the brain to regrow itself injures it badly and causes all the symptoms you describe. Unfortunately recovery takes a long time, even years of suffering.

Reinstating a small amount helps the brain to cope.

Your recipe for getting 0.5 mg is correct. I'm also making my own escitalopram suspension.

Thanks for reply bubble .i will try .5 mg from tomorrow. Lets see what happen.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good. We advise such a small amount to avoid the kind of reaction you described. Escitalopram is especially powerful so even such seemingly tiny dose can make a lot of difference.

Let us know how you do. Check the experience of downtongirl who experienced a noticeable improvement almost instantly.

Started 0.5 mg escitalopram today.will update my progress on daily basis. Just praying to god that my stomach could tolerate this tiny amount of medicine.last time i tried with 2.5 mg but got stomach cramps and diarrhoea.i failed to understand that the medicine which i have been taking since 5 years ,now i cant digest even tiny amount of it.forcing me to quit it without slow tappering.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good luck and please keep us posted on how everything goes.

1 day after restarting 0.5 mg - got some relief from vibrating feeling in head .was sweating throughout the night. Vision is still shaking . Many obsessive thought like i will become bedridden , ocd of ataxia. Though able to sleep around 4-5 hours.obsessive thoughts are main reason thats why i started this medicine in first place. Many of my symptoms can be ocd related or panic related. Totally confused.

On 28th feb 2015.

Can anybody tell me some solution to my muscle cramps problem. Sometimes i got that after intense anxiety. But after taking escitalopram last night i got cramp in left thigh.dont know whether it is due to anxiety or because of drug.i took clonax 0.25 mg but didnt get relief.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know the answer as to why, but can you try taking potassium? Perhaps try an electrolyte drink?  I am glad that you got some relief from the Cit - that is a positive thing after just one day, and it can take four days for the cit to reach a steady plasma levels.  The sweats are still withdrawal from my experience.  Withdrawal can bring out obsessive thoughts.  Though withdrawal can bring on neuro emotions that are difficult to find relief from, it is still worth learning about cognitive behavior methods for dealing with obsessive thoughts,  I find the teachings of Eckhart Tolle to be very comforting and insightful, and indeed learning to be Present is counter to troubling, obsessive thoughts.  I added these audios to the self-care and symptoms subforum and they are a good place to start, though they are about what he calls the Pain Body.  See what you think:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10992-eckhart-tolle-the-pain-body-and-mental-suffering-during-withdrawal/

Thanks sg .i will try some electrolyte drink.i will listen to eckhart tolle audio.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked our thread on magnesium? It helps with anxiety and relaxes muscles and most people handle it well.

It's very good news that after everything you've been through reinstatement brought a certain relief so soon. After so much changes it will take some time to stabilise. Nervous system doesn't change over night. The most important thing is to take the right direction and cling onto small improvements that will gradually get bigger. Withdrawal symptoms will still be around, gradually losing their intensity.

Keep us posted it.

Since morning having nausea and numbness in body .extreme anxiety. Shaking vision is also a causeing anxiety.feeling like i am having nystagmus.but when my parents looked in my eyes they are finding it normal.i now cant tolerate even .5 mg dose.having feeling like my life has been finished.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Very sorry to hear that... so that was day two of reinstatement and you feel like things are getting worse? Or are they the same? Is there anything that feels better?

Vision problems are common for escitalopram.

Generally we wait for 4 days to make a definite conclusion. But if things have taken a distinct turn for the worse it would make sense to discontinue. I will ask for more opinions on what to do.

I know you feel like your life is finished. I think that these are some of the worst things that a human being can experience. Luckily human brain has a great capacity to heal itself. We just have to endure and stubbornly believe we will get better. Because we will. We see people in more difficult situations recover.

Have you tried magnesium?

Sleep somehow was better but nausea is intense.even in morning i took anti emetic but still feel nauseated.leg cramps were also there.i think my long strugle for surviving antidepressant has just started.dont know will there be any improvement.i started taking magnesium.thanks for reply bubble.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Of course there will be improvement. Your brain has been through a lot so it will take some time, a lot of patience and endurance. I can't remember who was it that wrote yesterday how well reinstatement has worked.

Reinstatement made me functional also so I would personally give it a bit more time. It's the only thing we know of that can cushion this crash. You will improve even if it doesn't work but it will be more difficult. And things are difficult enough as they are.

After my reinstatement I didn't feel so much of an improvement but a sense like a cart hurling down a steep slope has slowed down and I began pulling myself up very slowly over 4 months. I somehow disregarded the general awfulness of my state but focused on initially only fleeting moments when things would ease up. Only very gradually those moments became longer and longer.

• Moderator Emeritus

HI DTTC ,

As for the magnesium, you can take it more than once a day, once you have determined that it doens't have a negative effect on you.   I take mine twice a day, was taking 400 mg of the glycinate twice a day, but then got bulk powder of the same and filled capsules (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment LOL!) so probably get about 500 mg  twice a day.

And yes, improvement if sleep was better!  Your nervous system has a lot of shaking out to do, getting itself reorganized after the onslaught it has endured.  Is there anything that you can do in your day to day to distract yourself from how you are feeling?  It is totally normal in withdrawal to hyperfocus on how we are feeling and become more and  more distraught as we do so.  Remember, our thoughts cause our suffering.  The situation is what it is, but it is how we think about it that causes the suffering.  Try to think compassionately upon yourself, that your poor body is going through healing, and healing looks ugly sometimes.  You must do whatever it takes to ease your suffering.  Since you can't force the withdrawal away, the only thing you can do right now is work on the mind, doing anything and everything you can to relieve it of the perceived agony.

I've had those odd twitching/vibrating sensations.  I observe and think, isn't that odd?  But they pass, and I know it is withdrawal now and I know it is just a symptom of the healing.  

I find it helpful to think about the body and all the chemical reactions that are taking place at every moment, it is no wonder that changing one variable via these drugs causes a cascade of reactions throughout.  I think of it as Newton balls. I love this video:  Turn the audio down if loud music bothers you LOL!

There are periods of chaos, and periods of synchrony, followed by chaos again!  I think of that as the windows and waves of healing in withdrawal, with the balls representing all the different chemical reactions that are inter-related with our neurochemistry.  Just keep reminding yourself that at the moment you are in one of the chaotic spells, but that it will pass, eventually!  There is no permanence here.

It is hard to meditate when the mind is being disobedient, but you keep gently nudging it back to the breath, right?  Without judgement.  

I know you have muscle pains and what-not, but it might still do you good to take a walk, look at life around you without judgement, observe.  That in itself can help take the focus off of your experience.  

Hang in there!  You can do this!

SG

Thanks sg .i am trying my best .i go out for walk daily.though i dont feel like it.one thing is for sure that my sleep has improved by my anxiety and numbness is increasing .but main problem is nausea .i didnt feel nauseated in last 3 months.i am confused what to do now.maybe i should divide the dose into 2 .one in morning and one in evening.now i am realising the power of this drug.even in such a minute quantity it is showing such a horrible effects.

On 28th feb 2015.

@bubble - what is your opinion .should i reduce the dose further.or divide it into 2 .one morning and one evening.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Being able to go for a walk (even and especially if you don't like it) is big. Sleep is very important for recovery and seeing any symptom improving is also important.

And you are right about the potency of this drug. Increase in symptoms is not good but because of all those reasons I'm just very reluctant to throw away this little improvement 4 days brought...

Trying a divided those maybe just a few hours apart is a good idea. I remember people who have dose related side effects getting a relief that way. Let's give it a try.

@bubble - what is your opinion .should i reduce the dose further.or divide it into 2 .one morning and one evening.

Welcome depresstothecore,

So sorry you were hit so badly! I have been following you from the beginning but don't know what to offer even I played wit his evil drug for years and analyzing everything every minute for years, an truly impossible mystery.

Did the muscle cramp go away? I believe it's from the 0.5 mg dose. Many of us had severe reaction to lex reinstate or dose increase, it can make things a lot worse on a completely different level with strange and wide range of sxs. Your approach with tiny dose a good one to avoid severe reaction. Lex is also the most potent ssir so far according to many. As you can also see from my taper schedule-0.5% cut holding for couple weeks with constant and various sxs still also got a huge hit lately down to 3.2mg.

I have daily dosing reaction, have been taking the liquid of 3-4 mg over a period of 2-3 hours to lesson the dosing reaction for the past couple years. I still don't know if that makes my system even more sensitive or not, but if you do decide to split, be aware of the initial effect from the change and don't panic. I would guess once your system is adapted to the schedule, it will settle down for this part.

Hope you feel better today,

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Thanks lex.

Today i have been vomiting since morning .i dont think i can continue it any more.now i think every door has been closed for me. Dont know what in future for me. Trying some homeopathy medicine also .hope to get some relief from them. Everyone have different type of brain.my cousin quit escitalopram various time cold turkey without any withdrawal. But my brain is reacting severly. Everyday some new problem pops out.even after around 36 days of hell ,dont have any window. My last hope is god .waiting for some miracle to happen with the grace of god.

On 28th feb 2015.