Depresstothecore: Struck after lexapro adverse reaction

Depresstothecore

Hi DTTC, 

You might want to go to the symptoms and self-care forum and then do a search for "visual snow" or "floaters."  This will pull up threads where these have been mentioned.  You can then try to contact the members who posted and ask how they are doing.

This is very much a withdrawal symptom.  From the little reading I have done on it, those who were checked out by doctor's were found to have nothing wrong, everything normal.  Very much a situation caused by nerves jangled by withdrawal.  And in that respect, relatively temporary.  

Monica Cassini, of BeyondMeds, put up a 6 year anniversary video yesterday, 6 years off of a cocktail that left her bed-ridden for 2 years!  I'm sure she had every symptom you've listed; she said she easily had 60 symptoms at a time!  You might find comfort in watching that video, and by surfing around her website (though I find the organization of it a little chaotic :-)

http://beyondmeds.com/2016/02/09/6years-off/

Keep in mind she was on a cocktail of something like 6 meds!

SG

thanjs sg.so nice of you.i have searched many forum.people do have these symptoms but couldnt find any sucess story about these symptoms.

yesterday i went to psychiatrist ,he agreed with me that i am having severe withdrawal.asked me to reinstate escitalopram 10 mg.but when i told him that i couldnt even bear 0.5 mg which i tried last month .he told me next bet could be fluoxitine in low dose.according to him it has long half life .easy to quit than other ssri.according to him fluoxitine can prevent further deterioration.he also prescribed me clonazepam 0.5 mg for initial few days to control anxiety.though i dont want another ssri but things are really getting worse day by day.i am thinking of taking risk.because i am not functional anymore.

Drug history -escitalopram 10 mg for ocd for 5 years.had to tapper quickly because of drug reaction.started tappering in mid sep 2015 and ckmpleted it in 5 weeks.got acute withdrawal with brain zaps,tingling and numbness in body appeared after few days but subsided completely in mid november.but after 20 days on 6th dec started having new symptoms.which are still increasing .now my symptoms are - tinnitus in ear, blurred vision,floaters, light senstivity. .shaking feeling inside my head .shaky vision, vibrating and twitching feeling in whole body.extreme mood swing ,depression, could not sleep more than 2 hours, confused thoughts in mind before sleeping after closing eyes.intrusive thoughts .

Started fluoxitene 20 mg and clonax 0.5 mg

On 28th feb 2015.

Stopped clonax on 20th march.continuing on 20 mg fluoxietene.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Depresstothecore

• bubble

• SquirrellyGirl

• LexAnger

Top Posters In This Topic

DTC. It's not permanent !   Breathe. There are so many success stories .

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1226-recovery-success-stories-from-around-the-web/

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

AliG

I know there are many success stories but i fails to find people who they get rid of visual symptoms and hearing problems like ringing in ear.i had dp/dr, panic attacks last month but they are not present now.my sleep has improved fom 2 hrs to 6-8 hrs.anxiety and depression is still there but not as severe as they were last month.but new symptoms continue to add daily.most of problems are now related to eyes like visual snow, jumping vission,afterimages,blurred vision,lot of floarers,felling like everything is shaking .due to which i am unable to go outside .neralgic pain in different body parts has made things worst in last few days.

Drug history -escitalopram 10 mg for ocd for 5 years.had to tapper quickly because of drug reaction.started tappering in mid sep 2015 and ckmpleted it in 5 weeks.got acute withdrawal with brain zaps,tingling and numbness in body appeared after few days but subsided completely in mid november.but after 20 days on 6th dec started having new symptoms.which are still increasing .now my symptoms are - tinnitus in ear, blurred vision,floaters, light senstivity. .shaking feeling inside my head .shaky vision, vibrating and twitching feeling in whole body.extreme mood swing ,depression, could not sleep more than 2 hours, confused thoughts in mind before sleeping after closing eyes.intrusive thoughts .

On 28th feb 2015.

I have started low dose of fluoxitine to stop further deteoration of my condition.i have taken 10 mg .according to my new psychiatrist it will be more than sufficient for me in this condition.though max dose of it us around 60 mg.according to him many of his patients got relieved by low dose of it in withdrawal ,who were not able to reinstate their original ssri.will update soon .

On 28th feb 2015.

Yes I have had all those visual symptoms and they are distressing but you just have to live through them.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction
July 2013 5mg celexa and .5mg klonopin daily

5/15/16 started lamictal and currently at 25mg daily once a day.

1/1/17 crossed over from .5mg klonopin to 10mg Valium.

3/1/17 off celexa from getting down to around .25mg.

5/25/17 started tapering the Valium from 10mg to 9mg

6/25/17 dropped down to 8mg Valium 

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

7/2/17 updosed to 10mg Valium and holding split twice a day and holding.

3/1/18 dropped Valium from 10mg to 9.5mg

4/1/18 dropped Valium from 9.5 to 9mg still on 25mg lamictal.

Updosed 6/20/18 Valium 10mg and 25mg lamictal and holding.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear friends

I thought of taking fluoxetine but could not gather the courage to start it. So i am continuing with my withdrawal.i have been hit by another wave 4 days back. Insomnia has returned,pannic attacks , shaking vision, shaking brain. Shaking body, pressure and pain in eyes, slight diplopia,visual snow,heart rate near 100.suicidal thoughts ,tremoRs.

On 28th feb 2015.

Can anybody tell me how magnesium you people are taking

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DTTC, 

I am taking magnesium glycinate, bought it as a bulk powder that I fill gel caps with, so taking about 1000 mg/day, split AM-PM.  I believe 800 mg is 100% of the RDA.  I have no trouble taking that much.

You say you were hit with another wave, so can you tell us how you were before it hit?  I'm assuming there was a bit of a window, or at least lessening of your symptoms?  That would be good news!  Windows and waves pattern of stabilization....

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi sg

Before this wave i was able to sleep 8 hrs,there were no panic attacks,dp/dr ,anxiety was less .but had symptoms related to vision and balance.but from last 4 days i am totally bed bound .my whole body is trembling ,balancing problem,many crying spells in a day.and other symptoms mentioned above.vison is deteorating day by day.from the older

Discussion i have realised visual priblems ans tinnitus are permanant damage.these things are increasing my anxiety further.i have lot of eye problems.like floaters,visual snow,shaking vision ,afterimages,slight diplopia,blurring.just 4 months back my eyesight was perfectly normal.getting suicidal feeling every moment.dont know will i able to survive or not.becoming handicap day by day.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think you are in a wave but you had a window and you will have another.  You need to do more self-care on the secondary fear/anxiety, because you are making it worse for yourself.  You are having the extreme, irrational thinking that is neuro-emotions. 

There are countless blind people in this world who live very fulfilling lives.  I am not saying that is where you are headed, but the fear is carrying you away.  My sister, who is not on psych meds,  just found out she has the dry form of early macular degeneration in one eye, but she is not spiraling into despair.  At this moment you are not blind.  You only have THIS moment, and to ruminate over the what if's and feel suicidal is extreme!  I think you should stay away from researching things on the internet because it is only fueling your fear.  I get periodic ringing, but it goes away.  Many of us on here get the ringing but very few end up with it being permanent.  

Try to dig down and find some strength, to persevere and not let the drugs win rather than lay back and despair.  You will get another window and I hope you share with us when it happens!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 1 month later...

Hi friends ,after my last post i went through hell.i was not even able to stand up because of dizziness,tremors ,weakness in my right side of body

.my heart beat was very irrrgular.intense pain in my whole body, vibration in my whole body and all the symptoms that i mentioned in my earlier posts.

my parents took me to hospital.nuerologist and psychiatrist put me on fluoxietene and clonazepam .i didnt want it but because of family pressure i had to take it.initial few days were rral hell .i have numbness and tingling sensation in my hands and feet,intense headache.but after few days i started to improve. Now after 40 days of treatment i have improved alot.i am having regular sleep.no anxiety.i can now walk out of my house .can drive, my vision has improved .i am 70 % normal now.now my symptoms are

Mild tinnitus

Mild visual smow

Very mild diziness.

Slight shaking of vision , only on some patterns.

After images are still there

Blurring is not there now

Mild weakness in rt leg

I had stopped clonazepam 20 days ago

Now i am taking 20 mg fluoxitine.but now i have feeling of mild tremors in lower jaw.pain in mandibular joint.

Now i dont know whether it is due to escitalopram withdrawal or fluoxitine side effect.i still want to get rid of these drugs.

Pleasr advise .should i start tappering it

Or not.if yes at what speed.

On 28th feb 2015.

Hi there.maybe I'm not authorised to give advice, this early on my journey , but if I were you ,I would stay on the prozac for at least 6 months , until fully stable.then and only then would I consider a super slow micro taper.read all the threads good and bad, and see that it's not worth the unnecessary life altering suffering to get off early. I wish I could.

Opiates 18 months 2010 to 2012

Prozac 12 months 2012 to 2013

Prozac 7 doses of prozac late November 2015.

Adverse reaction on the 7th dose.

Stopped cold turkey on the last week in November 2015.

Immediately suffering from acute w/d.

Severe insomnia, anxiety, burning head.

Doctor prescribed propranolol for anxiety, adrenaline rushes.

Propranolol 10mg 4× a day.

Nearly 3 months after reaction, new symptoms include,

Awful insomnia,burning head.waves of depression and suicide ideation.

• Moderator Emeritus

I had stopped clonazepam 20 days ago

Now i am taking 20 mg fluoxitine.but now i have feeling of mild tremors in lower jaw.pain in mandibular joint.

Now i dont know whether it is due to escitalopram withdrawal or fluoxitine side effect.i still want to get rid of these drugs.

Hello, DTTC, it is good to hear from you!  I"m sorry you went through such a tough time but am glad that you are feeling so much better.

If you were on Clonazapam consistently for 20 days you could have developed dependency; did you just stop, or did you taper it?  It is a benzo and has its own withdrawal, so that may be part of the equation.

My recommendation is to stay on the Prozac for a good 2-3 months and just let yourself get really stable.  You've been through too much with what amounted to a cold turkey of the escitalopram (a five week taper would be that, really) which caused you SOOOO much suffering!  Five or so weeks on Prozac is not stable, as you are still having symptoms.  Whether they are withdrawal from the other drugs or start up from Prozac, who knows for sure.  It sounds like you are functioning pretty well now at 70% improvement, so if you can tolerate that level of symptoms, I would leave well enough alone for now and not change ANYTHING. Stability is what you need, consistency.

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing!

SG

Thanks roxy and sg .@sg i didnt take clonax regulary because i didnt want any more damage to my brain. I totally took 8 tablets in 20 days.i dont have any problem after quitting it. You people are right.i need stability.i will wait for 6 months before next decision.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Very wise decision!  Enjoy some stability!  You sound so much better than you were before!  I know it is hard to accept having to take these drugs when you know ultimately they aren't good for you, but you've been through some troubled waters and stability is most important now.  When things have been nice and steady for a good while, you can then start a 10% taper as recommended here and hopefully never run into the kind of issues you were having ever again.

Thanks for updating us on your situation.  I'm glad this is working for you for now.

SG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey DTTC,

You wrote:

In middle of night i got the feeling like my brain was jumping inside my skull.i thought i am going to have seizures but didnt.  It continued for around an hour.it was very scary .but it subsided then i went to sleep.on waking up in morning when i went out from my room . Everything in the room was shaking. 

Yes, normal in withdrawal:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/

and

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2016-tremors-shaking-body-vibration/

then:

Today again i went to neurologist .he told me that i am having symptoms like multiple sclerosis.my symptoms which are quite similar to multiple sclerosis are vibration in body,shaking viaision, blurred vision,numbness in various part of the body, now the new symptom is irregular heart beat . He asked me to have mri scan both with contrast and without contrast.after mri he found nothing.my brain scan is normal

Yes, also common in withdrawal.  It can look like MS, Parkinsons, seizure disorders, flu, even dementia (we call it cognitive fog).

There are many many symptoms these drugs can cause.  For example, 90% of the serotonin in your body is in your gut.  So it, and all the nerves of your body, your endocrine system, your brain, all are affected by these drugs.

Here is a list of the more common withdrawal symptoms experienced by others.  You can use it to track your own symptoms, because they will change as you go through withdrawal.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

More in a moment.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey DTTC:

I know there are many success stories but i fails to find people who they get rid of visual symptoms and hearing problems like ringing in ear.

Withdrawal is different in every person.  I can continue giving you threads for all of the symptoms you list - but it doesn't seem to soothe your fears to hear that other people have experienced it, too.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10021-how-do-we-heal-just-time-or-something-else/

There are not many success stories because when people get better, they do not come back.  They go out into the world and live their lives.  

It's kind of like the way the evening news gives you all of the worst stories of the day - it focuses on the lens of drama.  Most people come here to complain of problems, not to tell us how great things are.

You continue to list your symptoms like they are unusual and deadly.  You have had them checked out; they are not.  

from the older Discussion i have realised visual priblems ans tinnitus are permanant damage.

No.  You do not know this. And it is not true.  These things do get better, but they take TIME.  In 5 years you will have forgotten all about this, it will be a distant memory.  When I say time, I don't mean days or weeks, but months, and maybe years.  It won't be suffering the whole time, as you will have Waves and Windows.  Furthermore, as you heal, it will get better and better.  

The best way through is to keep going.

It is time for you to breathe, and accept what you have is withdrawal.  

The only way through withdrawal is time.  Please see:  Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms

These techniques work for physical symptoms, too.

Instead of focusing on your bad symptoms - look at the good things in your life.  String them together like beads - you got 6-8 hours of sleep, you ate some delicious food, you hugged your Mother, you saw a beautiful piece of cloth, you smelled the spices of food cooking, you heard some music.  

If you want to get through this, you need to focus on the positive aspects of your life.  Focusing on the fear, the negative, is making your journey more difficult.

Here is a short audio track that you can listen to over and over, to soothe your panic, to learn to calm your fear about your fear.

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/music/FirstAidPanicF.mp3

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey DTTC - 

I'm glad that the fluoxetine gave you relief. It's scary going back on the drugs, but - as you have experienced - that was what you needed.  

Please update your signature so that we know you are on 20 mg fluoxetine, what date you started it, and holding.

You are so wise when you say:

i need stability.i will wait for 6 months before next decision. 

Then, when it is time to come off, you can do so at a nice, gentle speed that doesn't throw you into dysregulation again.

Whew!  It took me all day to read your thread; I cannot imagine the struggles and suffering you have been through.  Please be assured that others have been there, too, and that it does get better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey DTTC - 

I'm glad that the fluoxetine gave you relief. It's scary going back on the drugs, but - as you have experienced - that was what you needed.  

Please update your signature so that we know you are on 20 mg fluoxetine, what date you started it, and holding.

You are so wise when you say:

i need stability.i will wait for 6 months before next decision. 

Then, when it is time to come off, you can do so at a nice, gentle speed that doesn't throw you into dysregulation again.

Whew!  It took me all day to read your thread; I cannot imagine the struggles and suffering you have been through.  Please be assured that others have been there, too, and that it does get better.

thanks dear for reading my whole threAd.i am much stable now.after 2 months of starting floxitene i am now 85% normal.all my symptoms have gone except mild tinnitus , mild visual snow,afterimages and floaters. Hope i will normal again.atleast i got my life back. once i will be completly stable then i will start tappering.but this time at very slow pace.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good to hear from you DTTC!

I'm glad the fluoxetine is helping, and you are starting to feel stable.

From here, it looks like a good time to hold and learn some Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms to prepare for the next time, when you will taper slowly.

Here are some great ideas of things to do while you are getting ready to taper:

Psych Central 6 Ways to Prepare for Antidepressant Withdrawal

You may not get completely stable, but BrassMonkey (one of our moderators) has a thing he calls "withdrawal normal."

When you taper, you can choose when to taper.  It doesn't have to be by a calendar (in fact, it's better to not use a calendar, but listen to your body and symptoms) - and when you get to a place where you feel you can stand the symptoms of another taper, where you are "stable enough" - that's what Brass calls "withdrawal normal."

For example, if you have work stress, or moving house, or holidays with family - maybe not a good time to taper.  But if you have a long weekend, and you learn your pattern - you can use the extra days off for the worst part of the symptoms.

A slow taper allows you to choose when and how.  It lets you control the drug instead of the drug controlling you.

Keep up the good work!

• 5 weeks later...

I am here for an update. After 3 months of starting prozac , i am 90% normal, now my symptoms are

Occasionally mild tinnitus

Mild visual snow.

Slight after images.

Hoping for more recovery.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Lovely news, DTTC!  You have come a long way from such a horrible place, it is so nice to hear that you are doing so well!

SG

Thanks sg. You had helped me alot during my darkest days of life. I am very thankful to you. How are you.how is life at your end.

On 28th feb 2015.

Great news! Congratulations to your successful switch!

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Lexanger thanks dear.you people helped me alot. Maybe i would have commited suicide without you people.i will wait for 6 months or more before tappering very slowly this time.i was not aware of tappering last time.as i know these drugs are not good for me,i will definitely quit these drugs one day.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks sg. You had helped me alot during my darkest days of life. I am very thankful to you. How are you.how is life at your end.

I'm so glad I was helpful.  I am doing well, tapering successfully, uneventful as it should be :-)  Thank you for asking.  I hope for additional healing and stability for you before you embark on a slow, boring taper :)))

Prozac is supposedly much easier to taper due to its long half life. I haven't seen many Prozac users reporting WD issues. On the other hand, lexapro is one of the hardest to withdrawn. I planned many times to switch to Prozac but never did it for fear of more mess up. I am sure your next taper will be much easier, smoother and possible pain less.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 3 months later...

Hello friends.i have been taking floxitene since 6 months. All of my withdrawal effects have been gone except mild visual snow and mild tinnitus. I am again enjoying my life. But somewhere back of my mind i have been continuously afraid of those dark days. I also dont want to be on drugs for rest of my life. I am confused , whether to start tappering or not.i am taking about 20 mg .i am thinking of tappering first 10 mg in 1 year.next 10 mg next year. Please give your views .

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DTTC

It's good to hear that you are enjoying your life.

SA recommends tapering Prozac/fluoxetine at no more than 10% of the previous dose with a holding period of 4-6 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  Here are some links:

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

You may even want to consider tapering slower than 10%:

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

Rhi's "Start Small, Listen to Your Body" Taper Plan

Slowness of slow tapers

I found these helped me to understand SA's recommendations, as well as reminding me to be patient and not try to rush my taper:

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Is it possible to be drug free after such a severe withdrawal.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello and nice to ses you again doing so well.

I believe it is. We just have to go slowly. Best is to throw away the calendar, listen to your body and go slowly and cautiously. I wouldn't start tapering yet. I had a crash around the same time as you and I'm still holding and feeling like I need to hold for quite some time more.   

I will just copy what Chessie wrote for one other member. I can't recommend Rhi's description of brain healing enough.

Hi Austinite,

You might find these helpful.  I did.  They really helped me to understand SA's tapering and holding recommendations because when we take the drug our brain changes.  By reducing the drug slowly and then holding it allows our brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  They have also helped me to stay patient, throw out the calendar and listen to my body.  It's not a race.  We want to get off with the least amount of withdrawal symptoms possible.  Tapering SA's way is a harm reduction method.

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Healing isn't linear and there can be Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization.  Also some members find that the lower in dose they get they have to slow down their taper.  That is where listening to your body is very important.  As you dose lowers you will most likely start to feel your old self returning.  I did, things like finding something funny and actually laughing out loud, seeing something and actually enjoying looking at it.

Learning non-drug coping techniques is also very important:

1. Acceptance
  2. Acceptance and Mindfulness
  3. Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System
  4. "Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms
  5. Change cognitive framing - Redirect - Another Way
  6. Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression
  7. Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons

You may also experience Neuro Emotions

Keep us posted.

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

@bubble how are you.how much dose you are taking now. When are you planning to taper.

On 28th feb 2015.

@ bubble, good to hear that you are stable .what are your symptoms now.during last few months along with fluoxitene i am also taking homeopathy medicine. Kali phos 6x .it is very good for antianxiety and insomnia. It helped me alot. It doesnt have any side effects. I think all the people here who are suffering from withdrawal related insomnia , anxiety , depression should give it a try.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's very kind of you! I just feel like venting.

My main WD symptom for quite a while has been inability to update my thread. Lame joke :) but really, extreme fatigue continues which is not surprising after waking up every 2 hours for 4 months. There were some improvements recently to waking once and then early.

My main symptoms are mental and hard to describe. It's like my brain becomes a chain that has fallen off a bike and you pedal but nothing catches. It feels like losing your mind and is totally frightening. Especially when it happens 8 months into a hold. But there were periods before that when I felt almost normal.

Now you got more than you bargained for :)

I can try that remedy but although I ocassionally give in to trying out various supplements it seems time is the (only) healer. My receptors still needs lots of energy for regrowing and get upset if they don't get it.

I think you have just helped me to update my thread :) just copy paste and that's it.

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

@ bubble.how was withdrawal started for you. Whether it occured because of cold turkey or during gradual tappering.

On 28th feb 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

This one started after a too fast taper. I went by the same amount and was doing very well. At one point the same amount of reductions became 10 % per month instead of 5 % I did before. I also got impatient and cut Lexapro together with the benzo. The unravelling was gradual. I felt something was wrong for 6 months before I crashed.

Another lesson in long holds even if we are doing well.