Yasmin: wave after 18 months

Yasmin

Hey my name is Yasmin I'm 31 years old. I have interstitial cystitis started in 2010 which is a very painful bladder disorder. I was put on strong pain meds like oxycontin for two years later on my pain got better so I switched to Ultram. Every pain med gave me heavy nausea so I was put on reglan for nearly three years. My symptoms of extreme restlessness started in January 2014. They put me on prozac which made it even worse. So they gave me lorazepam. It got so bad that and I started researching. To cut it short I went off all the meds.

My restlessness and brain zaps didn't get better until end of 2014. I always had wave and Windows. In end of 2014 everything was fine again. September 2015 my bladder started hurting again and I was put on tilidine which I had before ultram. Remember I had no anxiety restlessness or anything for over a year. Two weeks into tilidine, Augmentin I had a short wave of restlessness for one day. It went away and I thought it was nothing.

Now it is back full force and I don't know what is causing it. Did the protracted withdrawal of the psych meds come back after one year? Or is it the pain med or even the antibiotic? I'm devastated and just can think of ending my life. I wanted to start working again this week. Now I can't even sit still or leave the house. It's a feeling like I had before it's definitely akathisia. Please help. Will it take another year if terror to get better after three months of opiates?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Yasmin , welcome to the site. I'm so sorry that your akathisia has come back. I had it too and know

how scary it is.

It definitely could have been triggered by Augmentin (amoxycillin). Could you give more information

on when you started and finished the antibiotics? I don't know much about tilidine , except that it's a synthetic opioid painkiller.

Whether it's been triggered by one of these meds , or is a throw-back of protracted withdrawal , we do know that akathisia can come in waves like other symptoms , and there's every likelihood that it will resolve quickly.

Be strong , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I need to take the Augmentin long-term for my interstitial cystitis. I have been on them from 2010 to 2012 until my bladder went into remission. My doc said he couldn't imagine that my akathisia flare up is related to tilidine or Augmentin. I never had any problems with them. He said it is probably the metoclopramide (reglan) that I took on and off for three years. It's a neuroleptic drug but is used for Gerd and nausea. I haven't taken any reglan since december 2013. That's when it all started. I got muscle twitching first and then the extreme restlessness followed in January which I got prozac and lorazepam for. But it only made it worse. I had this symptoms in wave and window patterns for the most of the year 2014 until it stopped with a small wave December 2014. I thought it was behind me but seems like I was wrong. I'm pretty much devastated to get this symptoms again after so long. I'm on mirtazapine for this wave. I always took it for a week until the wave was gone. So I will stick with this because there isn't much I can do about it. I have a toddler at home it's pretty hard. How can it be gone for so long. I mean 14 months... I guess this will go on for many more years.

Hi Yasmin . Welcome.  So , you are off all meds ?  What Date / Year did you go on Prozac?  How long did it take you to come off ? What dose of mirtazapine are you on ? Are you alternating doses of Mirtaapine  ? It sounds like you are taking it randomly for a wave. Could you please put in your drug history signature, as it will help us to advise you.  Also , what dose & how long have you been taking lorezapam ? I know it sounds like a lot of questions , but we need to know the facts & history , before we can offer sound advice.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I'm off the antibiotic and the pain med tilidine. I took ativan back in 2014, don't remember the actual dose, when my akathisia was so bad from the reglan use. They also gave me prozac and cymbalta. I came off of everything April 2014. Had waves and windows until end of 2014. I was fine until 5th of january. All of the sudden all my akathisia came back. I had one day of akathisia feelings in October when I started the antibiotics. I took them until last week. Now the only thing I take is bisoprolol for my high bloodpressure. And I took one milligram of ativan today because it got so bad. I don't know what to do anymore. I wanted to start working in february now I can't even think of it. Is this still withdrawal from the psych meds or is it damage from the reglan. But if it was real damage how can I just be fine for over a year?? Please can anybody understand this? I tried benadryl because I wanted to avoid the ativan because I know if I take it longer I will need to tapper it again. Benadryl and propranolol didn't do much. I did take the propranolol for two days 40mg twice a day. Should I try it again? The mirtazapine was something I took three or four times in 2014 on a low dose when I had a bad wave. Usually just for a few days. Didn't take any psych med in 2015 without a single problem. Everything started with the antibiotic and the tilidine. I'm devastated. I don't want to go to the hospital because they wouldn't believe it just saying I'm depressed which I'm not. I was as happy as you can get with my family and a new job.

• Administrator

Welcome, Yasmin.

Yes, the antibiotic and other drugs could have set you back.

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Is your interstitial cystitis in remission? Some people have success controlling it with diet.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.