SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Evergreen: Intro & Could my current problems be SSRI related?

Evergreen

Was on a cocktail medications as a teenager including SSRIs. I don't remember them all but these are some that I do remember: Adderall (to wake up), Lithium (don't even know why), Remeron (to sleep), Trileptal (which is for seizures, which I've never had), Zoloft, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Xanax. I don't even know why I was on all these meds. I was a pretty normal kid before, but I guess I wasn't motivated and perky enough so my mom thought there was something wrong with me. I tried different pills and then had to add more on to treat the symptoms of the others because I stopped sleeping, then I wasn't waking up. Looking back its unreal this even happened to me. My mom lost the insurance when I was 18 so I had to stop them all and went through horrible withdrawals. Now, 8 years later something is wrong with me and I just want to be normal again.

I have been completely off meds for 8 years and doing well enough. I never have felt completely normal but I've been happy. 6 months ago I was spending a lot of time hiking and exercising when I started to feel these weird feelings. I felt like my heart was fluttering in my chest. I felt electrical zaps in my body. I felt numbness in one side of my body, especially my fingers. Then one day I really felt like something was really wrong. I felt dizzy, pressure in my chest, extreme head pressure, brain fog and electricity feelings in my chest. so I went to a doctor. He said it was anxiety and recommend Zoloft. I didn't take it. I knew it was not anxiety. I eventually got in to see a neurologist who said it was something called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. Basically a really high heart rate upon standing and feel like fainting. I wasn't able to walk for a while but I increased my sodium intake and fluid intake, began reconditioning my leg muscles on a recumbent bike and basically recovered from those problems for the most part after a few months.

Now my problems have changed. I still have those problems but what has been getting worse is the head pressure which is not the same as a headache and is nearly constant, and this complete depression and lack of appetite. I have always felt like the chemicals in my brain have been off since the meds, but all the sudden it's like I completely ran out of brain chemicals or something. Yesterday my doctor (who has not been that receptive to my concerns or that helpful in solving my problem) gave me a sample of Pristiq. She said it would help my appetite, sleep and depression. Well I took it this morning even though I have been against meds since all the stuff earlier in life and instantly regretted it. Turns out it reduces appetite. I haven't been able to force my self to eat at all and my head pressure is now worse because of a horrible head ache. I decided I don't want to take the pristiq anymore but now I don't know what to do.

Is it possible all of the problems I'm having now are a reaction to being a guinea pig when I was a kid? What can I do to correct this and make my brain be normal again?

Edit: also wanted to add I've been to the ER multiple times and been through a ton of blood tests, ekgs, MRI, echocardiogram, ct scan, spinal tap, chest X-ray and everything has been normal. (For the most part. slightly low testosterone, slight hypothyroidism etc but nothing that could conclusively cause all these problems)

Was on a cocktail medications as a teenager including SSRIs. I don't remember them all but these are some that I do remember: Adderall (to wake up), Lithium (don't even know why), Remeron (to sleep), Trileptal (which is for seizures, which I've never had), Zoloft, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Xanax. I don't even know why I was on all these meds. I was a pretty normal kid before, but I guess I wasn't motivated and perky enough so my mom thought there was something wrong with me. I tried different pills and then had to add more on to treat the symptoms of the others because I stopped sleeping, then I wasn't waking up. Looking back its unreal this even happened to me. My mom lost the insurance when I was 18 so I had to stop them all and went through horrible withdrawals. Now, 8 years later something is wrong with me and I just want to be normal again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Evergreen,

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to SA.  I'm not able to help with your question/s but one of the mods should be along soon and they may be able to help.

It's good to know that all the tests came back okay.  BTW, what dose of Pristiq where you given?

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you. 50 mg

Hi Evergreen,

Welcome to sa. I can't really comment on this either. Sounds like a mystery to me but one of the mods will pop on soon and may be able to assist you further.

Hope you get to sort it soon, S53

8 years on venlafaxine (generic name Altven). Various doses then 3 years on 75mg. Tapered off too quickly with very bad withdrawals. Put back on at higher dose of 150mg to stabilise. Been at 150mg for a year. Stable and ready to taper slowly.

Dosage 150mg. Average beads in each capsule 543

January 2016. Start tapering. Also taking fish oil, vit e daily and magnesium as required.

08/01 started with 5% taper, held for 2 weeks the. Another 5% and held for a month.

3rd March another 10% cut, now taking out 102 beads. Hold for a month then assess.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again Evergreen,

Sorry to ask this but are you taking/using any illicit or other substances?  Or are there any supplements that you are using since being off the AD medication?  Just wondering ...   CC

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Evergreen, 

It is truly amazing that after all those drugs that you came off of!  I just can't even imagine withdrawal from all of that.  How long did withdrawal last for you, and how long would you say that you felt ok before this came up?

As ChessieCat said, could there be anything recently that might have triggered this, even a big stressor?  This just isn't something that I've seen on the forum, to have withdrawal crop up eight years later! I have seen someone report of having a really bad wave two years later after doing pretty well, which just goes to show how long our nervous systems can remain sensitized.

Hopefully we can solve this mystery!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just another thought.  Do you drink diet drinks?  Eat food with MSG?  They both contain neuro-toxins.  CC

• Moderator Emeritus

I like the way you're thinking ChessieCat.

Hi Evergreen , had you taken any herbs or illicit drugs or prescription medications at the time you

started to have weird feelings 6 months ago?

This includes diet sodas which contain aspartame?

" What can I do to correct this and make my brain be normal again?"

Like every cell in our bodies , the brain is rejuvenating all the time , and what we can do is give it all the trace elements and minerals and nutrients it needs to do this successfully.

Try reading the following links:

Neuroplasticity http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8471-neuroplasticity-norman-doidge-md-interview/

Magnesium http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Omega 3's http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

Welcome aboard!

Best wishes , Fresh

If you click FOLLOW at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

CC no I don't use anything illicit, or drink diet drinks or anything. I've been on a fully organic whole food diet for quite a while and before that I've always ate generally healthy and never even liked soda. It's been years since eaten any junk food. I have tried various supplements but never stick with anything because I never notice anything. I've tried l-tryptophan a couple times for sleep and a few other things mostly vitamins.

As far as stressors go I would say I have a lot of stress in my life but when this illness hit I was at a really high point. The happiest I've been probably ever. I just don't understand this.

SG- I don't even remember how long I was withdrawing. My mom was in charge of it all and I was also going through nasal surgery so also had some pain pills. I don't even know how long it took I just remember it not being slow enough. It was horrible.

And I never felt fully whole again after it, but I thought with my organic lifestyle, and exercising and everything I was doing that life was going to get better. And then everything just changed and it's like my life is over. I don't know how to get past this. I don't know how to overcome this.

Thank you all for the welcoming and just for being here

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay, some other thoughts.  Has there been any change in your environment?  Any chemicals that you may have come into contact with.  New furniture or carpet?  Working environment?  New car?  Sprays (I get hives if someone uses a spray can for too much).  Any dental work?  Mould?????  That can cause major health issues.  Change of washing powder?  Cleaning products.  Air conditioning.   CC

• Moderator Emeritus

New girl friend?

I've lived in the same environment for a few years but it's not an fresh environment. There is a salvage yard right by my house. And my house wasn't in good condition when we moved in. I did have my house tested for mold and they said there was excessive moisture but the air quality was exceptionally good.

My wife and dogs are all in fine health and we are all breathing the same air so I just can't figure it out.

Nothing else has changed, as far as car, work, furniture. My wife only uses the most natural cleaning products and no aerosols.

And no about the girlfriend. My wife and I have been together since 2008

I've had every test I can think of, and everything has been normal so I just can't figure it out and my doctor has definitely written it off as anxiety/depression.

• Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if the salvage yard has used or is storing some chemicals.  It could be that the weather concentrated something for a bit.

It could be that your CNS is still weakened and something has affected just you.  It may have been something seemingly insignificant that you wouldn't even consider the possibility of it causing an issue.  It would be nice if you could discover the cause but you might never find out.

That's enough brain storming from me.  Today's been my 4th consecutive day of not going back to bed during the day and it is now 7.45 pm so I need to be slowing down ready to go to bed.

BTW, good news about no girlfriend seeing you are married.

CC

• Moderator Emeritus

I think you would be wise to stay off the Pristiq and all other psych meds, and investigate your problems further.  ChessieCat has some great ideas.  It could be something nutritional - have you had any checks for vitamins and minerals? 

It could also be related to the POTS.  POTS is a dysautonomia, and it is possible the meds and withdrawals you went through left your autonomic nervous system much more sensitive than the average person. 

You might want to get your breathing patterns checked by a physiotherapist (see if you can find one who specialises in breathing) as hyperventilation syndrome seems to be associated with POTS. 

There could be a number of factors going on, rather than just one thing.  You say there is a lot of stress in your life, this could be something to consider, as it could be playing more of a part than you realise.  Withdrawal can leave people a lot less resilient to stress.

I don't think we can give you a simple answer, you may need to do a fair bit of detective work on this.  It doesn't sound like a GP or psychiatrist is going to be much use, you may have to look further afield. 

Anyway, welcome to SA!

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Given all that, do you meditate?  You are clearly distressed by this and thinking troubling thoughts only amplifies the stress and anxiety, which will absolutely not help!  So, one thing you CAN do right now is do some self-care in the way of relaxation/stress-reduction.  Meditation, Emotional Freedom Techniques and the like.  You can learn all kinds of stuff on self-care in the Symptoms and Self-Care sub-forum.

This might just be a very unusual wave coming up long after you had ceased medications.  If you aren't already taking the fish oil and magnesium, you might want to do those at the minimum. 

I hope this settles soon for you!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.