SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

alejirbag: Can't stable again on Cymbalta

alejirbag

• Moderator Emeritus

We recommend decreasing the dose once every 4 weeks , rather than once every week , as her

brain hasn't had an opportunity to stabilize now for the past 5 weeks.

I would be inclined to bump her dose back up to where she was 2 weeks ago , and wait.

It would be helpful if you could update her signature with clonazepam dosages , so we don't ask the same questions over and over.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alejirbag

• Altostrata

• Fresh

• SquirrellyGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

@Fresh,

thank you very much for your response.

I'll update signature with all details as soon as I can, currently I'm at work.

Cymbalta

• 03/2014 - 03/2015 - Deanxit, Cypralex 10mg and Clonazepam 1mg (all prescribed for foot pain), stopped Deanxit and Cypralex cold-turkey, got mild withdrawal symptoms
  • 06/2015 - 09/2015 -  due to neck pain (caused by cold-turkey above) I got on Cymbalta 30mg for one week, after one week up to 60mg
  • 09/2015 - in one week lowered my dose of Cymbalta from 60mg to zero. I got severe withdrawal symptoms and got back to 60mg
  • 09/2015 - two weeks later I was feeling stable and started to lower my dose again to 30mg. 3 weeks later severe withdrawal symptoms started again
  • 10/2015 - I got back to 60mg of Cymbalta and I still have severe withdrawal symptoms.
  • 03/2016 - Started tapering 1% per week, for 4 weeks
  • 04/2016 - After 4 weeks, and 4% off stopped tapering due to unbearable symptoms
  • 06/2016 - Started switching Cymbalta to Fluoxetine
  • 07/2016 - Switched half-way, stopped at 30 mg Cymbalta and 20 mg of Fluoxetine. Couldn't continue with bridging due to severe eyes problems, caused by Fluoxetine.
  • 08/2016 - Stopped taking all drugs due to Serotonin syndrome

Clonazepam

• 03/2014 - 04/2016 - 1 mg of Clonazepam daily
  • 07/2016 - today - 0.5 mg of Clonazepam daily
  • 08/2016 - stopped Clonazepam completely due to Serotonin syndrome
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there really anything I can do to change this awful symptoms and situation? 

I was 5 months on my max dosage (60 mg) and couldn't stabilize. Should I wait longer? How long is "normal" to wait?

I was thinking if I didn't get to stabilize in 5 months I'll never would, and started slowly to taper (1% per week). Now I'm in third week of 96% percent and still having awful symptoms.

Every muscle and every joint is literally killing me and I have this overwhelming feeling of being general sick. I feel so weak I can't get out of the bed. Just a thought of walking make me feel even more sick. I barely get to the bathroom. 

I have read everything available online, visit every doctor I could find. Is there really nothing I can do beside suffering?

Even if I forget about tapering, what if I never stabilize again? Which was the case, as I couldn't stabilize for 5 months. How can I live like that?

Cymbalta

• 03/2014 - 03/2015 - Deanxit, Cypralex 10mg and Clonazepam 1mg (all prescribed for foot pain), stopped Deanxit and Cypralex cold-turkey, got mild withdrawal symptoms
  • 06/2015 - 09/2015 -  due to neck pain (caused by cold-turkey above) I got on Cymbalta 30mg for one week, after one week up to 60mg
  • 09/2015 - in one week lowered my dose of Cymbalta from 60mg to zero. I got severe withdrawal symptoms and got back to 60mg
  • 09/2015 - two weeks later I was feeling stable and started to lower my dose again to 30mg. 3 weeks later severe withdrawal symptoms started again
  • 10/2015 - I got back to 60mg of Cymbalta and I still have severe withdrawal symptoms.
  • 04/2016 - After 4 weeks, and 4% off stopped tapering due to unbearable symptoms
  • 07/2016 - Switched half-way, stopped at 30 mg Cymbalta and 20 mg of Fluoxetine. Couldn't continue with bridging due to severe eyes problems, caused by Fluoxetine.

Clonazepam

It is very hard I know, we are all going through it, it is a dark road to go down, but recovery will happen. Iam 21/2 months into reinstating, it's a battle and can take months and months before getting stable. Your cns is not stable and dose changes are not helping your situation, you need to stay on a dose and hold until it settles, it may not be what you want to here, but that's how it goes unfortunately. If there was a magic pill we could take to heal, we all would, it just takes time., which your body hasn't had enough off. We don't have the answer for length of time, it takes as long as it takes. Stay at a dose and hold, if you don't, you are prolonging things. Do you take any supplements? Fish oil and magnesium help some people, I however can't do sups they make me worse, but a lavender Epsom salt bath definitely helps. Patience and time. Ali

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you feel worse now than before you started tapering? From your signature , it looks like you've had

unbearable symptoms since you began tapering.

Even though you've only done small cuts , they add up , and weekly changes are not recommended.

I would be inclined to bump your dose back up to where you were 2 weeks ago.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Still not getting better.  :(

As I posted on before, I have tapered only 4% and it got significantly worse. Then I stopped tapering, so I'm more than a month now on the same dose (96% of 60 mg). But symptoms are still unbearable, I really don't feel better even 1% .

I'm going crazy with pain and sickens and I don't see way out of this. 

Only option I have and was recommended to me is to switch Cymbalta for Prozac. And doctor who recommended this suggested to start with 40mg of Prozac immediately and keep my dose of Cymbalta for one week. 

After one week of full overlap, I should start tapering Cymbalta and stop it completely during 3 week tapering.

I have read everything online I could found about switching to Prozac, and that's why I have my doubts:

• Is 40 mg of Prozac too much to start? Would be better to start  
  • Is 4 weeks to long to keep Cymbalta, although tapering it?
  • Can somebody please recommend best way to do this (dose of Prozac, dose of Cymbalta, period ...)

Thanks  :(

Cymbalta

Clonazepam

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

What are your current symptoms?  What has improved?  What has stayed the same?  What has worsened?

I suggest you read this carefully before making a decision: The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

alejirbag, did taking 60mg Cymbalta in November again reduce your symptoms in any way?

Are your symptoms worse at any time of day? Which symptoms are worse, and when? How is your sleep?

From http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=703-0,949-2273&types[]=major&types[]=minor&types[]=moderate&types[]=food&types[]=therapeutic_duplication&professional=1

Interactions between your selected drugs

Moderate clonazepam duloxetine

Applies to: clonazepam, Cymbalta (duloxetine)

MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patientsicon1.png taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENTicon1.png: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

The elimination half-life of clonazepam is typically 30 to 40 hours. Clonazepam pharmacokinetics are dose-independent throughout the dosing range.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi alejirbag,

Prozac bridging is risking.  There are no guarantees that it will work.  However if you do decide to go ahead with it after reading the information I suggest you let us know here first so we can give you suggestions about how to go about it and what doses you could try.  40 mg of Prozac is a high dose so you would definitely want to start lower than that.  Anyway, please let us know what you decide.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Your doctor's method of switching to Prozac is reasonable, but I would start with 20mg Prozac rather than 40mg.

There is a serious danger in taking Prozac and Cymbalta together:

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/cymbalta-with-fluoxetine-949-2273-1115-0.html

Major fluoxetine ↔ duloxetine

Applies to:fluoxetine and Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using FLUoxetine together with DULoxetine can increase the riskicon1.png of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medicalicon1.png attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Please answer my questions about your symptom pattern, as the clonazepam may be causing some of them.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

When I got back to 60 mg (10/2015) seizures stoppped, but all of the other symptoms stayed the same. Symptoms were coming in waves every week. They were always worse in the evening.

I'm taking Cymbalta at 5 PM.It was like the pill the pill stopped working. Or I created adversed reaction to it, don't know. It was all the same for more than 4 months so I started tapering by minimal rate (1%).

4 weeks after tapering (1% per week) big bang came. Explosion of all symptoms:  brain zaps, over sensitivity to sound and vision, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, heavy feeling of sickness, pain in joints and muscles, inability to wake up.

After this started, I haven't touched my dose, I'm still on same 60 mg minus 4%. Month and a half later, everything is still the same. Currently worst symptoms are burning pain in the whole spine and joint pain.

I was on the floor begging to die because nothing I tried decreased the level of pain I'm feeling. Sleepiness is extreme, I have to take so much effort to even sit.

In desperation I have contacted Dr.Healy for online consultation. In conclusion, he wrote to add 40 Mg of Prozac (liquid) for one week together with current dosage of Cymbalta.

After that taper Cymbalta during next 3 weeks. So in total there would be 4 weeks of overlap. 

Of course, I'm afraid to even try this, due to whole painful situation I'm going through. Also I thought it would be better to start with lower dose of Cymbalta.

Additionally there is no doctor in my Country who can lead me through this process, they say I'm the first case like this they ever saw. 

I'm fully aware that bridging with Prozac is dangerous, but I'm in severe pain for months, I have to try this only because there are no other option.

Please add your comments and suggestions on Prozac switch. 

What dose and for how long to take? How long to overlap?

Please, any comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks! 

Cymbalta

Clonazepam

• Administrator

I've posted that information up above, plus you have Dr. Healy's recommendation. It's your decision.

Did you mention clonazepam to Dr. Healy?

Hi Altostrata,

I need to put in great effort just to write few sentences. Also English is not my language, which is making it more difficult (apologies for any grammar mistakes).

Yes, of course I have mentioned clonazepam to Dr.Healy. As I did everything else, including my full medical history sent to him before consultation. 

My thought was also to start with lower dose of Prozac, just as you said it. My biggest concern now is how to start this process. I have no doctor around me (in the whole country) who understand this at least a little bit. Today I visited last one, for which I hoped he would understand it as he is against prescribing antidepressants. But conclusion is he doesn't think antidepressants are effective, but also doesn't think they are harmful. 

I see this option as my only way out, but I absolutely can't do this on my own. I'm fully aware of possible complications, and that is way I'm really scare to do it. And now I don't even have a doctor who can guide me, or can help me if something goes terribly wrong.

Cymbalta

Clonazepam

• Administrator

How much Cymbalta do you have now?

This is what I might do: If you have almost a month's supply of Cymbalta, you might talk to a conventional doctor and say you wish to switch to Prozac, starting at 10mg. After about 5 days of 10mg Prozac, you can start reducing Cymbalta by about 25% every 10 days. (You will need to count the beads to remove the proper amount, see Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

When you are about half-way off Cymbalta, see how you feel. If you think you need more Prozac, ask the doctor for a higher dose of Prozac, 20mg. See how you feel when you are entirely off Cymbalta and on 20mg Prozac. If you feel you need more Prozac, ask for a higher dose.

Don't even try to talk about tapering with these doctors. Most doctors don't understand a thing about withdrawal or adverse effects, but are very happy to give people ever-increasing dosages of an antidepressant if they want one.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi alejirbag,

How are you now? Any thoughts about what Alto suggested in the above post?

Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petunia,

Yes I have thought about it and decided to try to do the Prozac bridging. 

But I'm trying to find a doctor who understand withdrawal at least a little bit, because I'm too scared to try and do this on my own.

I have a doctor who is totally against meds and he is doing homeopathy, although he is a real MD. And he is willing to prescribe anything, but that's where his help stops.

So it is not about not having access to the meds, it is that I'm really scared if something go extremely wrong. What should I do? End up in ER, where they won't understand a thing and they will either pump my stomach or pump in who knows what.  :(

On the other hand, I can't go anymore like this. Symptoms are the same or even worse, there isn't even a hint of getting slightly better.  :(

@altostrata - thanks for tips. 

I also believe it is better to do switching gradually and not to start with huge dose of Prozac (40 mg).

Cymbalta

Clonazepam

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Petunia,

But I'm trying to find a doctor who understand withdrawal at least a little bit, because I'm too scared to try and do this on my own.

Even with finding a doctor that understands withdrawal a bit, you won't be able to improve on the support and experience found here, especially with Alto watching your back :-)

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

Hi Petunia,

Even with finding a doctor that understands withdrawal a bit, you won't be able to improve on the support and experience found here, especially with Alto watching your back :-)

SG

Yes, I'm fully aware of this, and I'm really grateful to have found this forum. 

But, it is not the part about support that I'm worried ('cause I don't expect any of them), but as I have said before this is the part the worries me the most:

it is that I'm really scared if something go extremely wrong. What should I do? End up in ER, where they won't understand a thing and they will either pump my stomach or pump in who knows what.

What I wanted to do is to ask you guys here, what would you do if you were in my place? 

Take a risk and try to bridge with Prozac? 

I know it is my decision, but it is like trying to choose less evil, and I don't know which one is it.

I really can't go on like this anymore but I'm too afraid to try bridging.

Cymbalta

Clonazepam

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, I understand your fear.  Cymbalta is a nasty one and the fact that small drops have been terribly difficult for you leads me to feel that if I were you I would try the Prozac bridge as Alto described, with the lower dose than what your doctor was wanting to do. I think this is one of those situations that warrants giving it a try.  

We have one member recently, depresstothecore, who was doing terribly after coming off his drug too fast and reinstatement wasn't working, and his doctor put him on fluoxetine and he was able to pull out of some pretty horrendous symptoms because of it.  That story lends me hope that this may be the path for you, but as always it is your choice.  It wasn't an immediate fix for him, took a little time:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11015-depresstothecore-struck-after-lexapro-adverse-reaction/?p=217795

I have probably muddied the picture even further for you, to which I apologize if that is the case LOL!  

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again,

I have finally found a doctor under which supervision I have started bridging of Cymbalta to Prozac.

I'm still on 55 mg of Cymbalta, and for the last 5 days I'm taking 20 mg of liquid Prozac. Plan is to star tapering Cymbalta day after tomorrow, 5 mg. After that to taper additional 5 mg every week and gradually increase Prozac to 30 or 40 mg, depending on situation. 

According to this plan (5 mg weekly) I shall taper Cymbalta in 11 weeks, almost 3 months. Do you guys think this is too long period and I should do it much quickly? should I do it in a much shorter period? 

Cymbalta

Clonazepam

• Moderator Emeritus

alejirbag:   The protocols listed in the Prozac switch or "bridge" thread suggest a **much** shorter overlap for the time when you're taking both the original drug (for you, Cymbalta) and the Prozac.  If I recall correctly, all of the switch protocols are recommendations of doctors. To get more details about that, please read this thread: The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Silver star, thanks I have read that thread and everything related to it already before.

4 days ago I started tapering Cymbalta and lower my dose from 55 mg to 50 mg. 
Today (just few hours before) I have lowered it to 45 mg. I'm taking 20 mg of liquid prozac.

I feel awful with extreme agitation, extreme sleepiness, burning skin sensation etc. These symptoms I have experienced before.
But I have 2 new terrible symptoms:
  1.  Strange sensation in my abdomen especially while breathing (I don't know how better to describe that).
  2. The worst of everything I have ever experienced. Sudden feeling like panic attack (but it is not panic attack, I have experienced it before), feeling of total depression, worthlessness and not wanting to live more in combination with biggest anxiety I have ever felt. It lasted for around minutes, but it was 10 hardest and worst minutes of my life. I was literally screaming in the bathroom wanting to die. It was like I usually don't see the reality, but this time I have experienced and felt everything I'm going through.

I'm fully aware that this is not a math puzzle, it is not 3+3=6, nobody knows anything for sure, everybody is different etc, etc. But please, can you give me any advice how to proceed with my situation? To stop tapering Cymbalta, to taper it more rapidly, to increase Prozac? Anything please?  :(  :(  :(

Thank you.

Cymbalta

Clonazepam

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi alegirbag, I just wanted to let you know I am aware of your post and am drawing it to the attention of more experienced mods.  I would not increase to 40 mg Prozac unless further advised.  How are you doing now?

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

Compared to how you were back at this post http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11036-alejirbag-cant-stable-again-on-cymbalta/?p=223919, how are your symptoms?  How is the pain?

You were so bad on Cymbalta and the small cuts affected you so badly, I am wondering if where you are at now, with the Prozac on board and the Cymbalta dropped significantly, leaves you feeling relatively better than you were?

SG

• Administrator

alerjirbag, you've only been taking Prozac for 4 days, is that correct? It's a little too early to reduce Cymbalta, Prozac is just reaching steady-state in your bloodstream.

According to The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac, doctors wait one to two weeks before reducing the first drug.

If I were you, I'd go back to the 55mg Cymbalta dose right away.

Also, your doctor's plans to increase the Prozac seem drastic to me, you should be careful of dosing Cymbalta and Prozac together, the combination can be too serotonergic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Alijerbag - I'm so sorry this is so difficult for you.

Please, listen to Alto's suggestion to stay on 55 mg Cymbalta and not change anything until the Prozac has had time to start working:

doctors wait one to two weeks before reducing the first drug.

Please, you know how much a 5% drop affected you before.

In order for the Prozac bridge to work, you need to give it the best chance.  It needs 4 days to begin "bridging."  Tapering Cymbalta is like stepping out to where the bridge will be in a few days but expecting it to be built now.  It's a great way to fall into the river!

Please be patient. 

Many people on SA have survived 4 minutes at a time by listening to this:

First Aid for Panic

Many people in SA have been soothed during the worst symptoms by using EFT:

http://www.emofree.com/eft-tutorial/eft-tapping-tutorial.html

Some rock in rocking chairs, some watch children's TV, some make nests and use eye pillows and dark rooms to wait through the symptoms.  Some like to colour in colouring books, or sit in the sun (or the shade), sit in a garden, or take gentle walks.  Some who have been in dire pain had to pace and pace - but they lived through it.  Please find what helps, and pursue that to soothe yourself.  Have a list of things to choose from when you need help to get through.

Please be patient with yourself, and the protocol.  It will take a week or two before the Prozac starts working, and before you can start decreasing the Cymbalta.  

I am praying for your success with this bridge.  Please give it every chance to work by following the best protocols.

When you can, please update your signature to include your Prozac bridge and newest Cymbalta taper.

(it's a new link:  Please Put Your WIthdrawal History Into your Signature )

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies. 

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, English is not my first language.

I was 8 days on 20 mg of liquid Prozac, before I started tapering Cymbalta. So, 8 days after adding Prozac I have tapered Cymbalta for 5 mg (55 mg --> 50mg).

5 days later, I have tapered additional 5 mg of Cymbalta (50mg --> 45 mg).

And then I got symptoms, which are not so severe like when I tried to taper Cymbalta before, without Prozac. But symptoms are still very hard and painful (extreme pain in back and joints, extreme sleepiness, extreme nausea). 

My biggest concern is what to do next:

• wait and taper Cymbalta more slowly?
  • add more Prozac and keep with this tempo (5 mg every 5 days)?
  • add more Prozac and taper even faster?

Thank you very much for your support and answers.

Cymbalta

Clonazepam

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again,

can somebody please. please, please give me any kind of advice, I can't describe how desperate and hopeless I'm currently. 

I am in an emergency and no way out situation! As I couldn't taper Cymbalta 60 mg, I have managed by adding Prozac in period of one month, switch to half-half, 20 mg of Prozac and 30 mg Cymbalta. When I first have started using Prozac I have occasionally eyes problems but after a month that develop in 24 hours of nystagmus, rapid eyes movements, inability to focus and so on. So I am forced to stop Prozac immediately! After 2 days of stopping I feel very sick and can’t imagine what will happen after. Doctor wants me to take the lowest dose (1/4 of a 5mg pill) of Lexapro.

Please if anybody has any advice :(

Thank you!

Cymbalta

Clonazepam

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alejirbag, I would not add lexapro, your brain and nervous system are very unstable with all the drug changes that have been made.  What dose of cymbalta are you taking now?  When do you take the clonazepam?

Could you update your signature for us please, it will help us to understand. Don't panic, you will get better but it is going to take some time for things to settle down again.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I almost got seizure when come from 60 to 30 Cymbalta, I had to come back to 60 mg Cymbalta what was my max. dose, but even after coming back to 60 mg I have stayed in protracted withdrawal, unable to stabilize even after waiting for months and trying to go down 1 mg ended in disaster. This is the reason why I’m so terrified what will happened next, when effect of dropping 20 mg of Fluoxetine comes to me.

So I started bridging add 20 mg of Fluoxetine and changed it with 30 mg of Cymbalta, and stayed on half-half, 30 Cymbalta plus 20 fluoxetine and felt much better than I have been ever since this hell begun . But as vision/eyes problems every day become worse and worse I had to stop fluoxetine immediately 3 days ago. I guess I am having nystagmus, my eyes are spinning around I am completely unable to focus on any object 24 hours per day. When fluoxetine will completely be out of my system I will stay on 30 mg Cymbalta only, and I will die. I have to or increase Cymbalta or add something instead of fluoxetine :(

This is the least what I want but I will have no choice. :(

I take clonazepam 0.5 mg before sleep.

p.s. I have edited my signature

Edited by JanCarol
blue highlights for drugs & changes

Cymbalta

Clonazepam

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh aljirbag, I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

It sounds like your doctor was trying to do a Prozac bridge, because they believe it is easier to come off Prozac.  The problem is, if you are already having symptoms, adding another drug can be harder.  And I'm sorry you had to learn this as an experiment in your body instead of before.

So the Prozac bridge is not for you, and you have had a lot of changes since we saw you last.

You have cut your clonazepam in half, 

You tried Prozac 20 mg for a month, and quit it cold turkey

You are still on 30 mg Cymbalta (also a 50% reduction)

These are a lot of changes in one short month, and it is hard to see how more changes will help you.  Please, can you hold steady on these doses for a month?  After a month of stable dosing, it might be easier to see a path through this.  Hopefully your symptoms will settle down.

Eye symptoms are not unusual in withdrawal:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6380-vision-symptoms-floaters-snow-blurred-or-dimmed-vision-etc/  or http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6170-eye-twitching/ 

Here is a list of common symptoms that many people experience, so you can check to see if your symptoms are "common in withdrawal":  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

Meanwhile, have you considered Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms ?  Also, many people are helped by  Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil

I'm sorry we can't offer immediate relief for your suffering.  All we have is ears to listen, and fingers to type out messages of hope, and hopefully provide helpful information.  I can assure you, it does get better.  You will have to be patient and kind to yourself, and wait for symptoms to settle a bit, though.  

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Administrator

alejirbag, why didn't you stop Cymbalta, wasn't that your plan for the Prozac bridge?

You may have been suffering from excessive serotonergic stimulation by taking the two types of drugs together.

Any SSRI, such as Prozac or Lexapro, might cause this condition when added to Cymbalta.

It will take a couple of weeks for the Prozac to wear off, you'll probably feel better as time goes on.

Or, you might go off Cymbalta and take Prozac only, as you planned earlier.

@JanCarol - thank you very, very much for your support, I really appreciate it.

@Altostrata - yes, my plan was to switch from Cymbalta to Prozac, but I stopped the half way, because of the severe eyes problems. Doctor told me that my eyes problems (complete inability to focus on any object, accommodation problems) are side effect of the Prozac, because its anticholinergic effect. That is the reason I have stopped using Prozac and stopped with the switching Cymbalta for Prozac. Problems with eyes occurred as soon as I took Prozac, but were not present whole time neither severe as they now. As soon as I stopped taking Prozac, 2 days after I got strong withdrawal symptoms. So my doctor told me to add 1.25 mg of Lexapro (which doesn't have anticholinergic effect), what I did and that immediately reduced withdrawal symptoms but eyes problems didn't decrease at all. He explained that Prozac is now reducing much slower due to adding of Lexapro, as both medications are "going" the same pathway. He told me to wait 2 more days to see will eyes problems will decrease.

But as you said, in the first place I thought this problem is caused by interaction of the drugs, because I feel very, very stimulated with Prozac and now with Lexapro. 

Cymbalta

Clonazepam

• Administrator

That doctor is wrong about Prozac, it doesn't have an anticholinergic effect, any more than Lexapro.

The reason you had a bad reaction probably is that the combination of 60g Cymbalta (a very high dose of Cymbalta) and 20mg Prozac (an average dose of Prozac) was too strong for you. This is why the advice for the Prozac switch is to take a LOW DOSE of Prozac, stay on the combination a short time, and then drop the first drug.

1.25mg Lexapro equals approximately 5mg Prozac. Yes, it's an SSRI and may be relieving whatever withdrawal symptoms you had from suddenly quitting 20mg Prozac.

That doctor is wrong about Prozac, it doesn't have an anticholinergic effect, any more than Lexapro.

Are you sure about this? Tried to google it, but couldn't find details. 

I took 20 mg of Prozac, waited for one week, and then during one month lowered Cymbalta to 30 mg. As I said I couldn't continue because of sever eyes symptoms, that I assumed were caused by Prozac. As you can see few posts before on 14 June I have asked how to proceed further with bridging. 

But nevertheless, I'm in situation that I'm now. Today I skipped Lexapro, and took "only" 30 mg of Cymbalta, hoping eyes problem will improve. But I'm really scared and afraid about withdrawal symptoms that will start soon, because of abrupt stopping of 20 mg Prozac and now Lexapro.

I'm sure I'll have to add something to reduce withdrawal symptoms which will be unbearable  :( . I think adding more Cymbalta would have no effect and also would have no sense, but I'm not sure and have no idea how to proceed? 

I understand your point of view, but during bridging I have tapered Cymbalta as fast as I could with much trouble and pain, and couldn't go faster. Really don't know what to do next and how to proceed, any advice would be more than appreciated :( 

Also, doctor mentioned to try using Mirtazapine because he said it has no anticholinergic effect, but then decided to go with Lexapro, as I have used it before without any side effects. 

Cymbalta

Clonazepam

• Administrator

I understand why you did what you did.

Yes, the doctor is incorrect. The only SSRI that is anticholinergic is paroxetine.

I warned you twice about the dangers of taking fluoxetine with a high dose of Cymbalta.

As esteemed members and moderators noted above, going on and off drugs so many times has destabilized your nervous system and caused hyper-sensitivity to drugs and other things, such as light. Sometimes reinstatement takes a while, much more than two months to assist stabilization.

It could be that 60mg Cymbalta is now too much for your sensitized nervous system and you are reacting to that, too. Or, you could be getting a rebound or paradoxical reaction to the clonazepam. A record of your daily symptom pattern will help determine what's causing what.

Your doctor's method of switching to Prozac is reasonable, but I would start with 20mg Prozac rather than 40mg.

There is a serious danger in taking Prozac and Cymbalta together:

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/cymbalta-with-fluoxetine-949-2273-1115-0.html

Major fluoxetine ↔ duloxetine

Applies to:fluoxetine and Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using FLUoxetine together with DULoxetine can increase the riskicon1.png of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medicalicon1.png attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Please answer my questions about your symptom pattern, as the clonazepam may be causing some of them.

How much Cymbalta do you have now?

This is what I might do: If you have almost a month's supply of Cymbalta, you might talk to a conventional doctor and say you wish to switch to Prozac, starting at 10mg. After about 5 days of 10mg Prozac, you can start reducing Cymbalta by about 25% every 10 days. (You will need to count the beads to remove the proper amount, see Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

When you are about half-way off Cymbalta, see how you feel. If you think you need more Prozac, ask the doctor for a higher dose of Prozac, 20mg. See how you feel when you are entirely off Cymbalta and on 20mg Prozac. If you feel you need more Prozac, ask for a higher dose.

alerjirbag, you've only been taking Prozac for 4 days, is that correct? It's a little too early to reduce Cymbalta, Prozac is just reaching steady-state in your bloodstream.

According to The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac, doctors wait one to two weeks before reducing the first drug.

If I were you, I'd go back to the 55mg Cymbalta dose right away.

Also, your doctor's plans to increase the Prozac seem drastic to me, you should be careful of dosing Cymbalta and Prozac together, the combination can be too serotonergic.

Now that you are where you are, how do you feel on only 30mg Cymbalta? It might be best not to make additional changes for a while.