SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

downtongirl: I want to become med-free

downtongirl

I began taking a cocktail of psychiatric medications in 1995 and have tried twice to become med free only to fail and have to reinstate a month after tapering off all medicines.  I always would taper with my psychiatrists help.  I am very sensitive to the side effects of medicines and pray to become medicine free someday.  My current psychiatrist says it is unrealistic that I will ever be able to not be on medications because I have been on them so long.  I am looking for support and strategies to successfully become med free and stay med free.  I successfully tapered off of Effexor xr in 2011 and in April of this year tapered off of klonopin.  I am currently taking Cymbalta and trazadone. 

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• downtongirl

• Altostrata

• tntd

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there! Huge fan of Downton Abbey here.

Your psychiatrist is wrong. You do have the capability to get to either very reduced doses of meds, or off of them altogether. Given your length of time on them and your history of previous attempts to get off (probably much too quickly), you will need to plan for this to be a multi-year process.  Your brain has adapted to the presence of the drugs, and you need to taper slowly enough to regrow your brain, which is not a quick process. But you can totally do it.  

I was on meds longer than you, multiple various cocktails for decades, and although I'm still tapering, I'm down to significantly lower doses now and experiencing much fewer bad effects from the drugs and absolutely no bad effects from not taking them (quite the contrary) (other than withdrawal effects when I make a reduction, which pass and resolve completely).

I'm concerned about your Klonopin taper and coming off in April. How are you doing with that? How fast did you taper, off of what dose? Are you feeling well now?

Please put a concise history of your meds and tapers in your sig line, as described here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

This will help people to understand what we're working with and advise you better.

Please take a read through the Tapering section. Read the topics "pinned" at the top, and then follow the links listed in those topics. It's a lot, I know! Just take your time and read through it to get an overview, and then you can get into things in more depth when the time comes to plan your own tapering strategies.

Welcome to the forum. You'll get lots of support and great information here.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6447-best-of-sa/?p=91582

About what your brain needs to do now, and why it's imperative to taper slowly.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I have been tapering medications since last summer.  I think I may have done too much too quickly.  I need your advice please.  Been in tolerance/withdrawals beginning last summer with klonopin.  Here is my history...my on a combination of antidepressants and klonopin for almost 19 years.  Became klonopin free on 4-9-14.  Stopped .25 mg of Risperidone on May 31st after 2 1/2 months of use.  Stopped Gabapentin Early June after 6 weeks of use.  Reduced my 60 mg of Cymbalta down to 30 mg on June 17.  Today at work the anxiety became too much and I went back up to 60 mg of Cymbalta.  My doctor says I will probably never be able to get off of medications because I have needed them for so long.  I desperately want off as I have developed tinnitus, hyperacusis, short term memory loss, etc.  For the past year I have been diagnosed with vestibular migraines, bi-lateral tinnitus with hyperacusis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome.  I believe all of these diagnoses are due to the antidepressants and klonopin.  Was I wrong to go back up to the 60 mg of Cymbalta?

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

Hi,

Yes it appears that you made several changes in the last few months to a year in regards to dosages, it sounds as though you are familiar with tolerance and withdrawal already. I am not sure why you thought going up to 60mg would help except for the fact that you were on this dosage 3 days prior and that seems rational and logical but now that you made this decision, I would stay there for the time being now until you can educate yourself on proper withdrawal methods as suggested and outlined on this site. I don't believe these medicines assist with any type of anxiety or depression as they so claim and there are more reports of them doing the opposite and they actually make you worse in the long run. And as for your doctor, well they want you to believe you need them so they can continue billing if they can make you believe you need them, length of time on does not indicate need to take them indefinitely as they so try to convince and coerce people. Do not fall into or believe this lie. Many people have reduced or come off of these in a manner which is conducive to them, in my own experience and with many others on this board, they will tell you to make small incremental drops say 10% or less, but on the other hand the doctors will tell you to do it faster not understanding withdrawal or discontinuation syndrome or purely disbelieve that the drug is the culprit. And Yes you are correct when you say that many of your dx's were caused by the uses of these drugs which others can attest to this and these situations have been experienced by myself too. So my word of advice to you is stay at 60mg, do not make any more sudden drops of 50%....and go down gradually...and get yourself on some FB sites such as BPM, Psychiatric survivors, benzo Christian support withdrawal (if you are a Christian) and perhaps the newest one PSYCH survivors anonymous...........I am sorry I am not much help where I wish I could be but hopefully I somehow answered your question and allowed you the truth as I see it and perhaps some direction....try breathing and telling yourself ITS GOING TO BE OK...over and over..good thing you have work to keep yourself distracted...

med exp since 1985- abilify, latuda, Seroquel, risperadol, zyprexa, Haldol. latuda, saphris, mellaril, thorazine, lithium, tegretol, Depakote, lamictal, Prozac, pamelor, wellbutrin, Ativan, klonipin, etc.

currently only on remeron: 3/13/14-6/5/14- 15mg

6/20/14 -9.5mg < 0.75-1.5 per week

7/12/14-3.75mg

8/11/14- 0.6mg of Remeron (almost off)

8/16/14--last dose of remeron...now completely drug free....

11/21/14-- 95 DAYS DRUG FREE!!!!

I do not give out medical advice only personal experience.

dx: BPI, II, CKD, secondary hyperparathyroidism, Chronic pain, fibro,

Thank you so much for your reply.  To be honest the counting the beads taper intimidates the heck out of me.  I don't think I can concentrate enough to count out the beads.  I know that is a better way to taper.  I also know Cymbalta comes in 20 mg capsules so I was thinking after I stabilize for some time to ask my dr. to prescribe me 2 20 mg of Cymbalta a day and then eventually 20 then eventually 20 and probably from there I will have to count the beads.

Tapered down from 60 mg to 30 mg of Cymbalta 3 days ago and today the anxiety was so high at work I went back up to 60 mg of Cymbalta and my heart feels like it is beating too fast....is this the norepinephrine?

Yes this is possible along with the additional anxiety and worry that this is causing you as well...see wikepedia/norepinephrine..I'm sorry but the link did not post here when I tried...try to sit down and relax as much as possible if you feel it is really racing..If  you are still at work, I would go home if you can, if not don't try to aggravate the condition by thinking about it too much...try to take it easy as much as you can....Saying a prayer for you - Hope this helps...:)

med exp since 1985- abilify, latuda, Seroquel, risperadol, zyprexa, Haldol. latuda, saphris, mellaril, thorazine, lithium, tegretol, Depakote, lamictal, Prozac, pamelor, wellbutrin, Ativan, klonipin, etc.

7/12/14-3.75mg

Thanks I did look it up in Wikipedia.  I am now confused as to whether tomorrow if I should go back to 30 mg or stay at 60 mg?

Ok..I am kind of in a pickle...I went down from 60 mg to 30 mg of Cymbalta three days ago...I know too big of a cut...well yesterday had horrible headache and ear pain and today at work felt like I was going to bust out and cry and felt completely overwhelmed with anxiety so I went back up to 60 mg.  Now about 3 and a half hours after going back up to 60 mg I feel so anxious and wired because my heart is racing.  Tomorrow when it is time for me to take my next dose should I stay at the 30 mg and tough it out or stay at 60 mg?

I had to use Prozac to get off of Effexor before as well as Cymbalta.  I am trying to do without it this taper but am scared I will have to use it again.

were you using Prozac to get off Cymbalta before? not clear...if I were you I wouldn't introduce any new chemicals into the mix....it sounds like you used Prozac to get off Effexor? Most of these antidepressants are very similar in nature affecting different transmitters....I would just stick with the devil that you know....which is how it was put to me regarding remeron when I went on that....

Just a suggestion...

7/12/14-3.75mg

Thanks for your suggestion.  I did use Prozac to taper off of Effexor in 2011.  Then I used it to taper off of Cymbalta in 2012.  Trust me I don't want any more pill demons than I can get away with.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ok..I am kind of in a pickle...I went down from 60 mg to 30 mg of Cymbalta three days ago...I know too big of a cut...well yesterday had horrible headache and ear pain and today at work felt like I was going to bust out and cry and felt completely overwhelmed with anxiety so I went back up to 60 mg.  Now about 3 and a half hours after going back up to 60 mg I feel so anxious and wired because my heart is racing.  Tomorrow when it is time for me to take my next dose should I stay at the 30 mg and tough it out or stay at 60 mg?

Hi Downtongirl,  I moved your post from reinstating to your intro thread because it is specifically

about your taper.  Dropping from 60mg to 30 is far too big a drop and you suffered from withdrawal.

I think it would probably be best for you to stay at 60 and let your nervous system settle down. You have 

had a lot of changes in a very short space of time and your nervous system will be a little fragile. 

You need some time for it to stabilise and changing things now will most likely make things much worse.

I'm sorry that you find yourself in this state but sadly we hear it a lot here. Many of us have been on 

cocktails of drugs over the years but the majority of people can and do get off them. It has to be done slowly

to be successful, and even if it takes years it is in my opinion better than the alternative of staying on them

for life.  Try and stay calm, your brain will settle down again, when it does, I would wait a few months before

starting to taper again. I know this isn't what you want to hear but from my own experience and what I have

seen here it is by far the best way to get off these drugs. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, downtongirl.

If it now seems that 60mg Cymbalta is now too much, I would try 40mg and stay there for at least a month. With any luck, that will be enough, and it will be less for you to taper later.

It's very likely that with all the drug changes you've made in the last year, your nervous system has become sensitized to neuroactive medications, supplements, and maybe even foods. This is very common in psychiatric drug withdrawal.

You will need to adjust your dosage carefully. For Cymbalta, basically the only ways to go off are to count the beads or switch to another drug, such as Prozac.

How did you do the Prozac switch before?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My doctor says I will probably never be able to get off of medications because I have needed them for so long.

Utter bullshi*t. I offer myself as proof.

Take a look at my signature. Years and years of polydrugging. I'm now off almost all of it and working on the little bit that remains. It's been a long difficult road, but it CAN be done.

Proceed slowly and with care, listen to the sensible advice you'll receive here, and you'll get there.

Sparrow

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.
Dec. 2011 - March 2013: Tapered off 0.5 mg clonazepam (Klonopin)

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

January 2014: 4.5 mg escitalopram

March 2014: One year off benzos

May 2014: 3.0 mg escitalopram

June 2014: severe depression, updosed to 4.0 mg

Sept 1, 2014: 2.7 mg

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

March 2015: TWO YEARS POST-BENZO

• Moderator Emeritus

Whether you decide to stay at 60 mg. or try 40 mg., please just stay at whatever dose you choose for at least a month.  All the jumping around in dosage is likely aggravating the entire situation.  I doubt the Prozac switch would be a good idea for that reason--it's another change.

Sadly, all that doctors know about psychiatric drugs is what they learn from drug reps, and the drug reps get their info from the drug companies, much of which is either greatly distorted to suit marketing purposes or outright lies. The system itself is sick. Many people on this forum are angry or discouraged or both with mainstream medicine, including myself.

Please read this topic:  Why Taper By 10% of My Dosage?   

There is NO WAY to get immediate relief from withdrawal symptoms.  Getting the drug out of your body is not the solution.  These drugs make physical, structural changes to the brain that can take months to years to heal themselves, and in the meantime the abnormal structures need the support of those drugs.  That's why we recommend tapering very slowly, listening to your body, and even updosing slightly if a cut seems to be too much.  This way your brain can heal at its own pace--and there's no way to rush this!--with the slowly diminishing chemical support it needs.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 1 year later...

What are the different phases of withdrawal and what are usually the symptoms of each?  On average how long does each phase last?  Thanks in advance for any replies!

I have been off all meds. after 20 years of being on a cocktail of benzo and antidepressants for 8 weeks. This is my 4th attempt at becoming med free...I was ok for two weeks then had withdrawal symptoms then better for a week and then more symptoms.  I have been doing well the past two weeks but the past three days I have been experiencing rapid changes in mood from depression to panicky feelings through out the day...I feel more nervous now 8 weeks after my last dosage than I did in the first few days after my last dosage?  Is this normal?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi downtongirl,

Just stopped by to welcome you to SA.  I'm reasonably new here but from what I have read it would seem that you may have dropped your medication too quickly.  There are some links on the Home page about tapering.

One of the moderators or more knowledgeable members should drop in soon.

If you click on the Follow this Topic (top right) you will be notified when someone responds.

Good luck.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, I'm back again,

Before I forget, you can use this topic for any questions you have so members can respond and also so you have a diary to look back on.  To start with you could read this topic:

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hello CheesieCat...thanks for your reply...I think I did taper too quickly but now being around 7 weeks off I don't know if I could reinstate?

• Moderator Emeritus

From what I've read I think you will be able to but it will be at a "tester" dose to see how you go.

BUT please wait until someone who knows more replies.  They will probably give you a suggested dose to start with and a length of time to get an idea of what is happening.

There is a topic on reinstating.  If you can read this, but still wait until someone offer their idea/s.

Cheers,

CC

*new topic and replies merged with original thread

I had been doing pretty well 6 weeks out from my quitting my antidepressant and 10 days ago came down with a cold and took Nyquil/Dayquil and zyrtec and mucinex and since stopping the cold medicnes three days ago I am having bad anxiety waves.  Could this be due to stopping cold medicine or is it a wave or delayed withdrawal?

Edited by Petunia
added note

Hi welcome, thre will be others to give you advise in the meantime please add a signature line to show your med history.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/?view=getnewpost

It's most likely that you are having withdrawals. Also check the thread on reinstatement.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

forgive me but I thought I had already put a signature line in?  am I misunderstanding?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi downtongirl,

I joined the new topic you started called 'Is there a such thing as delayed withdrawal symptoms?' to your original topic. Its one intro/update topic per member. Please bookmark or follow this topic so you can find it easily again.

To answer your question, its quite common for withdrawal symptoms to be delayed for several weeks, sometimes even months. Here is our related topic:  Delayed Onset of Withdrawal Symptoms - Symptoms and ...

From your signature, it looks like you you cross tapered to prozac to taper from Effexor? How were you feeling after you stopped taking Effexor? Did you manage to stabilize on Prozac?

Tapering from 150mg of Effexor and then 10mg of Prozac in just 3 months is much too fast and its not surprising you are now having withdrawal symptoms.

Please read back through this thread from the beginning, several links were posted to help you understand the importance of slow tapering.

As ChessieCat has suggested, reinstatement of a small amount of Prozac may help, please read through the link she posted. If you decide to try it, perhaps 1 - 2mg may be enough. Then you would need to hold for a good long while to let your system stabilize before beginning a careful taper from that.

You have been on these kinds of drugs for 20 years and have tried 4 times to come off them by tapering too fast. Its probably safe to say that you are the kind of person who needs to taper slowly.

See:   Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide to do.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi downtongirl,

I joined the new topic you started called 'Is there a such thing as delayed withdrawal symptoms?' to your original topic. Its one intro/update topic per member. Please bookmark or follow this topic so you can find it easily again.

To answer your question, its quite common for withdrawal symptoms to be delayed for several weeks, sometimes even months. Here is our related topic:  Delayed Onset of Withdrawal Symptoms - Symptoms and ...

From your signature, it looks like you you cross tapered to prozac to taper from Effexor? How were you feeling after you stopped taking Effexor? Did you manage to stabilize on Prozac?

Tapering from 150mg of Effexor and then 10mg of Prozac in just 3 months is much too fast and its not surprising you are now having withdrawal symptoms.

Please read back through this thread from the beginning, several links were posted to help you understand the importance of slow tapering.

As ChessieCat has suggested, reinstatement of a small amount of Prozac may help, please read through the link she posted. If you decide to try it, perhaps 1 - 2mg may be enough. Then you would need to hold for a good long while to let your system stabilize before beginning a careful taper from that.

You have been on these kinds of drugs for 20 years and have tried 4 times to come off them by tapering too fast. Its probably safe to say that you are the kind of person who needs to taper slowly.

See:   Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide to do.

Petunia.

please forgive me but I am a little confused...so am I to only post on this thread?  I am a member at a different site ...benzobuddies...and the posting guidelines are a little different...I sincerely want to post correctly here but am a little confused...should I restrict all of my posts about my withdrawal to this thread?   Thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi downtongirl , welcome to the site.

I believe the short answer is YES.  

However if they are going to destabilize you , it would have happened when you started them , not

when you stopped them.

My guess is it's most likely the withdrawal changing form (cold /flu symptoms are a classical stage)

with any w/d from all the cold meds. on top.

Good job on the signature.    It looks like you've tapered off 10mg prozac over about a month or

6 weeks , which is much too fast.

I see you've been down this road before.  You might think about reinstating now before it gets worse ,

as it did in 2011 and 2014.

See  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

If you click FOLLOW at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts here.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

btw , it's one thread per customer in Introductions. This will be joined to your other thread.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi downtongirl,

Yes, that's correct.  It's understandable that you are confused if you are a member of a another forum and they are set up differently.

Here anything relating to yourself and questions you want to ask are posted under your Intro/Update thread.  However, you are able to comment on other topics.

CC

Welcome if this is your intro thread.

Sorry your doc has continually tapered you too fast.

Recovery from psychotrpic iatrogenic injury can be a long journey.

As for the phases ...well let me have a think and i will get back to you on  that one.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Later....ive had a think and here are some phases, symptoms and time frames to ponder.

Consider :

The curious phase; Symptom (S) thinking ‘Should I really still be taking this drug after 10 years use’ ‘Why do I feel so numb to life’ Lasts until next docs visit.

The enquiry phase; S, Asking doc questions like what the heck is this crap im swallowing anyway. Are you sure this is not addictive? Lasts for one consultation and about two weeks after.

The confused phase; S- Unhappy with doctor blitherings and a desire to start to do ‘googling’ 

The humiliation phase; S- after 10 mins of googling a sense of horror begins to descend and a tsunami of shear unbelief emerges…..timeframe -after 5 years I am still in it.

The urgency phase; S- A desire to tell the doctor ‘get me off this crap!!’ Lasts until next doctor visit and during his predictable kamakazi taper schedule.

The uninformed taper phase; S- On the doctors instructions you become drug free within a month often sooner.

The hypomanic phase; S- I am so glad I got that poison out of me  ….i feel much more alive. Timeframe about 1 week to 2 months.

The crash phase; S – a sense of wanting to die emerges. Occurs about 2-3 months once off the drug.

The akathisia phase; S- uncontrolled restlessness and uncontrolled psychological panic suicidality topped off with crying spells. 2-3 years.

The doc help me phase; S- a sudden urge to run to the doc / anyone in order to take away the suffering. 2 -4 years.

The terror/unimaginable/ I want to scream horror phase; S –PSSD, may last forever.

The un-patient me phase; S- A sudden realization sinks in that the doctor has no idea what he is doing, peddling or promoting. Comes on very quickly and may last for the rest of your life. It’s a major paradigm shifting phase. Can be triggered by experiencing full blown ssri withdrawal. Some are incapable of passing through this phase .

The im not taking anymore bullsh#t phase ; S- the growing of two antennae, ones called Blinkin and the others called Stupid or BS for short. Growth begins during the 10 mins of googling.

The uncontrollable anger phase; S- When the neighbours dog barks one time too many, one is overcome with a desire to nuke the neighbor, the neighbours house and pets. And that family member who criticizes me …oh boy you just started a cold war and the resurrection of the Berlin wall. 2 years maybe 3 years. A desire to say things that people can get put in jail for saying. If not careful collateral damage could last a life time.

The out of control manic/psychotic phase; S- A desire to persue self destructive actions and reckless spending and foolish impulsive decision making. 3 4 years...and anytime while on the drug.

The I cant take this anymore in the mornings phase; S- A desire to go to bed and never wake up again. 4 years

The windows and waves phase; S- windows and waves, years.

I am not going to make it phase; S- about 3-4 years.

I am outraged about what has happened to me  phase; S writing letters of complaints prolifically ….kicks in at about the 2 year stage…

The diarrhea and flatulence phase; S – diarrhea and flatulence , ongoing may last for years.

The insomnia phase; S - cant get a regular nights sleep, should resolve itself  usually takes  about 9 years

The OCD phase; S – OCD; usually only realized with hindsight and insight. Maybe 5 years.

The chronic fatigue and muscle weakness phase; S - fatigue and weakness, Not sure how long it lasts but i hope it resolves soon cos at 5 years this phase truly sucks. 

The I found SA phase; S- Overwhelming thankfulness and relief one is not alone, also a sudden desire to welcome every newbie...with a flood of opinions, Can last a long time and may become  an addiction...after 5 years im still in it. Hoping to taper sometime soon.

oh yeah one more ...The i'm getting on with my life phase ; S- forgetting to check in to sa because i have a life to live  ...hopefully kicks in sooner rather than later.

There are heaps more but this is just a couple that came to mind!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

The I found SA phase; S- Overwhelming thankfulness and relief one is not alone, also a sudden desire to welcome every newbie, Can last a long time and may become  addiction.

I truly thank God that I am in this phase :)

Excellent response.  Hopefully because I have found SA so early in the piece I won't to endure too many of the other phases, and if I do, that they are short-lived.

CC

• Moderator Emeritus

Please use your other thread downtongirl. One thread per customer in the Introductions section. *topics merged

Here are some topics that may answer your questions.

Intro to antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

Click on the links and add to these topics if you wish:

One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

dysautonomia

Why do some of us have such bad withdrawal? Genetic differences in neural adaptation

protracted withdrawal symptoms -- why?

Immediate adverse reactions to SSRIs? How long for recovery?

After being healed... Can protracted WD ever be forgotten?

Brain remodeling 

Papers on diagnosis of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist (PDF)

Is it withdrawal or relapse? Or something else? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

"Is it always going to be like this?"

Edited by Petunia
updated due to topic merge

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I merged the new topic you started with this topic, please do not start any new topics in this forum, its one intro/update thread per member. Please add to this one with questions, updates and for writing about your progress.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes