KiwiBex: My Remeron Withdrawal Story - wd love feedback

KiwiBexonthenoffRemeron

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Since coming off Remeron end of October (by accident if you see earlier thread) I have been taking 7.5mg Zopiclone at night. I tried to taper this a few weeks ago when I tried the Olanzapiine but got very jittery and realised I needed to leave it so I've been taking 3/4 of a 7.5 mg tablet the last few months. I nip the end off with scissors so it's probably 6mg-ish.

Thanks Mama P for sharing about why I may feel awful at night. I get breathless and inner tremor at night (sometimes back tension) which is then relieved by the zopiclone which I take before bed 9pm sort of time. I'm not working - just at home trying to do chores and help run the home when I can.

Hi Alto - Only other meds I take are Ginet 84 combined contraceptive pill and 2 fish oil in the morning. I only had 3 experiences of the Akathesia a few months ago - 4-5 months after being off Remeron. It felt like a violent tremor/shaking/agitating going up inside chest and intense mixed emotions of terror/despair/rage vibrating inside my body. I lay down shaking and held a heavy cushion on my chest to hold me down and cried and whimpered like a dimented toddler!! Horrific experience to say the least. I think the Quetiapine may have stopped it but unfortunately caused these other mental problems. I get a bit of inner tremor at night though before zopiclone. I will keep taking notes of symptoms. I don't drink coffee and have been off alcohol for ages. Thanks so much for valuable your time.

I haven't included this in my signature but need to mention that I have always taken the contraceptive pill for polycystic ovaries symptoms. I have had 3 'breakdowns' in the past and only realised the third time around that they coincided with either coming off the pill or changing pills while on anti-anxiety medication. This is what then led dotors to trying a different medication on me to 'fix' the new anxiety symptoms. I never realised 'the pill' could have such a big impact. Each time in withdrawal the PMT symptoms would become very intense which then led me back to going on the contraceptive pill again. I wonder if anyone can comment on this? Doctors never seemed to think the pill had much to do with my issues.

I'm not sure I can go back on the Remeron now as I don't have any more. My doctor and psych decided it was too risky. My parents (who are my main support) also didn't want me too. I don't know where I would get it and feel uncomfortable making a change again without the support of those around me.

Oh gosh guys I'm quite scared about what's happening to me. I really didn't mean for any of this to happen. So worried for my poor old Nervous system. I so appreciate your help/support as I don't know what to do. And I certainly don't want to cause anymore damage!! Thanks so very much.

Bex

2012 - Weaned off Fluoxetide (easily) onto 37.5mg Venlofaxine.
2013 - Dr suggested to increase Venlofaxine so did up to 180mg then reduced only over a matter of weeks suffering awful awful acute withdrawal. Put on Sertraline felt terribly low so put on Mirtazapine 15mg.
2014 - Felt truly awful on Mirtazapine with numerous side effects. Held for a long time over year. Think I reduced to 10mg slowly as thinking was so slowed.
2015 - Dry cutting to reduce Mirtazapine: Feb 3rd 9mg, Feb 17 8mg, March 3rd 7mg, March 17 6.5mg, March 23 6mg, April 7 5.5mg, April 21 5mg, May 5 4.5mg, June 29 4.0mg, July 13 3.5mg, Aug 10 3.2, Oct 13 3.1.
End of October stress entered and withdrawal caught up experienced lots of panic/confusion and forgot to take Mirtazapine for 3 nights and suffered confusion/psychosis experience and went to hospital for 10 days where they started zopiclone 7.5mg.
2016 - Been off Mirtazapine 3 months by end Jan. Feel ok in morning mood-wise can focus etc. Afternoons starts to go downhill headaches, lightsensitivity need to lie down in dark room, depersonalised at times/ spaced
out, anxiety/inner tremor late afternoon evening with crying spells and sometimes agitation. Still functioning ok - reading, driving, coversations, tv, gentle walks/swims, getting out a bit but not at night/social settings.
March 2016 Scary akathesia for 3 nights so took 2.5mg Olanzapine 10 days stopped due to side effects. Tried low dose Quetiapine for 4 nights first night 12.5 then halved dose to 6.25 for last 3 nights and stopped due to adverse reaction - obsessive thinking, dark thoughts, early waking, more distractible. Encouraged to reduce Zopiclone from 1x7.5mg to 3/4 7.5mg during Olanzapine trial. Scared of being stuck on zopiclone so end of May reduced from 3/4 to just over half got headachey, breathlessness increased to scary breathing attacks. Not asthma as was checked for this.  A week later increased back to 3/4. July noted headaches and breathlessness reduced so must have been related to too big a zopiclone reduction.

​2017 - Ongoing symptoms tend to come on around lunchtime - headaches, DP, breathlessness on/off increases into evening, Cognitive issues at times; over think/scattered/concentration issues etc.. Anhedonia at times, rage/tears at times. Remained at 3/4 7.5mg zopiclone and Ginet 84 contraceptive pill.

Thanks NZ11 I appreciate you sharing your research. Very interesting. I have heard a bit about this along those lines. Thanks for your support. I like the bit about snowflakes moving cars!

Bex

2013 - Dr suggested to increase Venlofaxine so did up to 180mg then reduced only over a matter of weeks suffering awful awful acute withdrawal. Put on Sertraline felt terribly low so put on Mirtazapine 15mg.
2014 - Felt truly awful on Mirtazapine with numerous side effects. Held for a long time over year. Think I reduced to 10mg slowly as thinking was so slowed.
2015 - Dry cutting to reduce Mirtazapine: Feb 3rd 9mg, Feb 17 8mg, March 3rd 7mg, March 17 6.5mg, March 23 6mg, April 7 5.5mg, April 21 5mg, May 5 4.5mg, June 29 4.0mg, July 13 3.5mg, Aug 10 3.2, Oct 13 3.1.
End of October stress entered and withdrawal caught up experienced lots of panic/confusion and forgot to take Mirtazapine for 3 nights and suffered confusion/psychosis experience and went to hospital for 10 days where they started zopiclone 7.5mg.
2016 - Been off Mirtazapine 3 months by end Jan. Feel ok in morning mood-wise can focus etc. Afternoons starts to go downhill headaches, lightsensitivity need to lie down in dark room, depersonalised at times/ spaced
out, anxiety/inner tremor late afternoon evening with crying spells and sometimes agitation. Still functioning ok - reading, driving, coversations, tv, gentle walks/swims, getting out a bit but not at night/social settings.
March 2016 Scary akathesia for 3 nights so took 2.5mg Olanzapine 10 days stopped due to side effects. Tried low dose Quetiapine for 4 nights first night 12.5 then halved dose to 6.25 for last 3 nights and stopped due to adverse reaction - obsessive thinking, dark thoughts, early waking, more distractible. Encouraged to reduce Zopiclone from 1x7.5mg to 3/4 7.5mg during Olanzapine trial. Scared of being stuck on zopiclone so end of May reduced from 3/4 to just over half got headachey, breathlessness increased to scary breathing attacks. Not asthma as was checked for this.  A week later increased back to 3/4. July noted headaches and breathlessness reduced so must have been related to too big a zopiclone reduction.

​2017 - Ongoing symptoms tend to come on around lunchtime - headaches, DP, breathlessness on/off increases into evening, Cognitive issues at times; over think/scattered/concentration issues etc.. Anhedonia at times, rage/tears at times. Remained at 3/4 7.5mg zopiclone and Ginet 84 contraceptive pill.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey KiwiBex - 

I'm sorry you are struggling.  

From here the story looks like:  PCOS - wrapped up in contraceptive pills (masked, really), with anxiety every time you changed pills which ended up with the remeron script.  You were in withdrawal from remeron, when they threw 2 neuroleptic drugs at you  Even in small doses, these have destabilized you further.  At the same time, you started tapering zopiclone - which added insult to injury.

Remeron is what your body is craving, but MammaP thinks that after the neuroleptic experiment, it's better not to reinstate.  So you need to work on Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms

Here are some descriptions of withdrawal which might help you understand better:

Rhi's description of healing the brain

Withdrawal Dialogues - cartoons to encourage you

and 

Healing from Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery (by Toxic Antidepressants)

Akathisia is one of the most difficult to deal with.  Fresh is our most recent "graduate" of the akathisia school of hard knocks, but there are others here who have lived through that, gotten better.  While it's awful, unpleasant, ugly, harsh, difficult - it cannot kill you.  The hard part is dealing with it while you have it.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10992-eckhart-tolle-the-pain-body-and-mental-suffering-during-withdrawal/ is one possible way to look at coping with suffering.

I also agree with Mamma that you may be suffering Zopiclone withdrawal every night.  If you just say to yourself, "this is withdrawal," and take your 3/4 tab of Z, that is good for now.  Plan on tapering it when your symptoms have settled down.  Please leave it alone for now, though - because you've been thrown into dysregulation by the neuroleptics.

PCOS - can be linked to diet.  Eliminating sugar, or eating a paleo diet is supposed to help.  Balance your exercise - PCOS is aggravated by not enough exercise (high insulin resistance, fat stores) or too much exercise (increase in androgens, destabilizing endocrine).  It is also linked to adrenal fatigue, depression, anxiety, etc.  The birth control pills only mask the PCOS.  Consider eliminating sugar, dairy, wheat and see if that improves your PCOS symptoms.  (Ref:  Kelly Brogan and Chris Kresser - summarized from a couple of pages on their sites, here's one:  http://chriskresser.com/adrenal-pcos-surprising-ways-stress-affects-your-hormones/)

I'm sorry, I wish I could do more - I hope you get to your next Window soon.   Waves and Windows

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi KiwiBex,

It is sad what these drugs do to people.

But you will heal.

Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Another thing,

Read about Myo-Inositol and PCOS.

Please don't rush out and try it.

Read about it and ask your GP, Gynecologist.

Your nervous system is sensitive, be careful with suppliments.

There is a thread here on Inositol.

Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Hi Bex,

With akathisia try not to let it scare you.

Don't panic and think you have to swallow something for this...it will  come and go in waves...it will recede.

It is terrifying but you know what it is and so you are in a much better place than millions of others.

Fresh has recovered from it.

I also had it too. It has now gone. i didnt swallow anything ..i just 'held on'.

I really like MammPs and JC's idea of not reinstating.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hugs Bex, sorry it's so scary.  I'm really glad the others chimed in - some really good thoughts from some very experienced people there.  Keep letting us know how you are doing ... we really care about you, even if we are in 'internet land.'

Karen

x

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

JanCarol - You summed up my story well. Thanks so much for all the info and support you provided above. I definitely won't be touching the zopiclone for quite

a while!

Hopefull - Thanks for the PCOS info. Much appreciated.

NZ11 - Thanks for your support regarding Akathisisa. Luckily I only have had 3 experiences of this quite a while ago now. I will assume for now it won't return.You guys are champions going through that and great to know many of you got through and past that and out the other side.

KarenB - Good to hear from you and thanks for your kind words.

Guys I have actually had about 3 ok days. Today was a bit of a crapper but still managed to do some things around the house and care for my Mum who is in bed with bad back problems.

The intitial intense 'mental' symptoms from the Qetiapine are definitely not at the level they were in the first week or 2 after. For this I'm grateful. It's still there though. With time I'm hoping it will continue lifting.

Thank you all. It means a lot to have your support. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry haven't been on an updated for a while. I've just been living day to day and trying to manage these horrible symptoms. I do apologise for this rather bleak message as my mood is currently quite low. I do tend to withdraw and hide away a bit when I get so very scared about what's going on so I'm making myself come on today to share where I'm at. I realise I'm isolating myself and I really need help and support right now. I'm finding the 'mental' symptoms really tough/scary/bewildering as I have never had these before until the 4 nights of Quetiapine.

The symptoms I'm experiencing are low mood/obsessive thoughts, sometimes concentration lapses and occasionally the dark thoughts about dying.( These are the symptoms that came on with the Quetiapine in March and my reason for stopping). Gosh I cannot believe I'm experiencing such horribleness - it's even hard for me to type this. I feel a lot of shame experiencing this and I think this is why I have been avoiding coming on here because typing about this means I have to face that i'm really experiencing such awfulness. Concentration lapses are really unsettling.

I feel depersonalised/headachy/light sensitive usually in the afternoons - like i'm living in a parallel universe. I get breathlessness on/off at times - especially at night. In the evenings I sometimes get tension. I have withdrawn a lot more socially as I don't know how to talk about this with a lot of people. I have a few friends I do talk to about it.

The things that are going good: I'm still functioning, cooking, driving, going to shops, walking the dog, watching tv, conversations, sleeping ok on just over 1/2 7.5mg Zopiclone. I attend a mosaic class a few times a week which gets me out of the house. I'm able to read but not so well as before. (Not a lot of anxiety so experience quite a few calm moments throughout the day)

My family are very worried as they can see how much i'm suffering and I've been honest with them about the 'dark thoughts.' I have only been taking the Zopiclone for sleep nothing else as I'm scared stupid of these meds can do. I'm feeling very helpless right now. I wonder what options/support you can suggest? Any hope at all from anyone would be gratefully received? The urge to 'do' something about this is quite strong ie: rush to more medication but then I'm telling myself that this could make me worse and I don't need 'worse' right now. Am I doing the right thing? I guess I'm in need of a lot of reassurance right now as I'm feeling quite lost.

Apologies again for the bleakness. I do hope those of you who read this are having sunnier times.

Thanks in advance for any support,

Rebecca

Hi Bex.       You don't have to apologize here for feeling down . We all understand as most of us have been there too, at times. It's part of the " windows and waves " pattern of healing.  It's great that you decided to give an update. It's easy to withdraw and hide away , particularly when you're down and experiencing quite a few symptoms. Try not to " beat yourself up ". Be gentle with yourself, if you can. You've been through a lot.

It sounds like you are still doing a number of everyday activities and that's a positive sign.

Is Zoplicone currently your only drug ? Would you mind just updating your signature. As you've had a lot of drug changes , it gets a bit confusing and it will save having to search back through your thread.

Although the urge to do something is strong, it is often better to hold and do nothing.

In the meantime,  have a look into the various methods of self care that we suggest here. As you get more experienced in looking after yourself in these ways, you will have less of a need for medication. 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you checked in Bex - it's no good struggling alone when you're in those head-spaces.

Healing can be awfully slow, and I hear you that it's hard to do nothing.  Apologies if I've give you this link before, It Gets Better I find it very encouraging, and practical.

You deserve much better Bex, and I am sure that with time you'll feel better.

Hugs,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks for taking the time to update.

Wishing you strength.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thank you very much AliG, KarenB and NZ11,

Guys I really appreciate the time you've taken to stop by to read and support me. I really can't express how much I'm grateful for your words of support and advice. I literally hang on your sentences right now.

To answer your question AliG - yes I'm only on just over 1/2 7.5mg Zopiclone. I was put on a full tablet last October when I inadvertedly came off Mirtazapine. Have whittled it down to just over half and think I will leave it at that for a bit. I updated my signature just now.

A question:

When I experienced the adverse reactions to Quetaipine (see earlier thread for further details) one of the things that happened was I began to wake early around 4-5am. I've noticed this has just settled back to regular waking around 7amish now. I feel a bit more rested again. Do you think this could be a good sign that things are beginning to settle since Quetiapine? I'm probably grasping at straws a bit here but just really wanting to see some positive signs that some of those adverse symptoms may be on the outward journey.

I also know that looking at months/weeks in terms of improvement is better than trying to look at days so trying to keep this in perspective too.

Thank you,

Bex

Rebecca.  Thanks for updating your signature. It helps if we can see what's happening with your taper at a glance. :)   I don't think you're grasping at straws. I see the improved sleep as a solid step forward, and I hope it continues for you . It's nice to see some light, as a sign of possibly having or heading towards a lovely and much deserved window ! 

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 2 months later...

Bex are you able to give us an update. Its been two months since we have heard from you.

Recovering paxil addict

• 2 weeks later...

Hello people,

Thanks Kiwi11 for asking me to update. I appreciate you checking in with me.

Yes it's been a couple of months. I haven't come on too much as I find I'm tempted to read the stories of others and I get caught up with their stories and then panic about the damage I've inadvertedly caused my nervous system. Just need to limit myself a bit from doing that.

Some good bits and challenging bits to share. I updated my signature - just on the Zopiclone and Ginet contraceptive pill (to control the awful PMT which I now know is classic withdrawal symptom).

First Good Bits:

Beginning of June I increased Zopiclone from just over 1/2 up to 3/4 of 7.5mg. This eradicated the light sensitivity headaches, lapses in concentration and breathlessness improved. This tells me those things must have been related to the Zopiclone reduction earlier in the year. Keeping a daily log of symptoms really helps to figure symptom related issues out.

Level of functioning seems improved and confidence a bit better. Socialising a bit more. Doing some great mosaic art work which I'm getting good feedback for. My Mum has had a serious operation and I've been able to help out (make dinners, food shop, emotional support) and visit her in hospital etc.. aswell as support my Dad at home also (they're early 70s).

I am thrilled to say I've found a wonderful psychologist who understands 'withdrawal syndrome'. She is such a wonderful woman and an incredible find for me. She has been through a withdrawal experience and was unwell for many months so understands this process on a deep level. I feel very lucky to have her walking alongside me.

Consistently practising living one day at a time, trying to live in the moment and make the most of some of the great people in my life. Today is all I need to deal with.

Challenging Bits

Current symptoms: breathlessness (late afternoon into evening), depersonalisation, derealisation, mood swings/neuro emotions (less frequent though), cognitive issues (can't follow routines - do things haphazardly, very distractible from tasks - like a child that's 'easily led' at times) very 'impressionable' - my ego boundaries are really permeable. It's quite bizarre being aware of these things going on and observing it from a rational minds point of view but not being able to change it in a behavioural sense!! I wonder if any of you get what I mean by this?

Still get pretty obsessive thinking - thought looping - sooo boring over thinking the same stuff.

I wake up in the morning feeling quite sedated by the Zopiclone. This is yuck - but I realise no med changes here. I also realise that wanting to do 'med changes' is a withdrawal symptom that can cause more issues. Of course I worry that I'm in Zopiclone tolerance and will cause more damage staying on it long term. I understand the 'z drug' issues... sigh... I also think the Zopiclone is sedating some of the Mirtazapine withdrawal too. Thinking about these particular issues scares the heck out of me because I never meant to get into this position and then I go around in circles and feel a bit trapped - no win situation thinking.

I know I'm in prolonged withdrawal (I hate that word 'protracted' - prolonged sounds slightly less permanent somehow) and I realise this is long term recovery stuff. I've learnt a 'huge' amount about how I was likely effected by the Benzo I took very short term. I thought up until recently I had developed GAD after that but now realise I was in recovery from 'benzo withdrawal' for a few years and then coming off the contraceptive pill - (progesterone withdrawal) upset the whole nervous system again leading to the changing of medication avalanche in 2013. All incredibly confusing range of symptoms/experiences at the time but now older and wiser I've had the time to research, online forums and talk to other sufferers I now get what was actually going on behind all the chaotic physical nervous issues. I also realise how pretty bloody strong I was (am) just desperately trying to live my life in the best way I knew how despite ups and downs of withdrawal that I was entirely unaware of and spending $$$ with a counsellor trying to 'uncover' where the anxiety was coming from. I get that it was largely 'physical' withdrawal (iatrogenisis) now.

Somehow guys I still have a bit of a sense of humour in tact and you know there's stuff I can still do and some good people that love and care about me. And also connecting with people going through the iatrogenic illness makes you feel not so alone too.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this. As always any thoughts/feedback/support is more than gratefully appreciated. I do hope that where you are in your journey is a manageable and uphill location. :)

Best wishes,

Bex

ps: Having trouble updating my signature. It keeps coming up about the number of lines limit even though I've deleted a few lines to be able to add on? Oh well I mention the slight zopiclone increase and positive effect in my message anyhow.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bex,

The last year of your drugs and keeping your signature current is what is really helpful.  This means people don't have to waste time trying to find your dose changes in amongst your posts.

So that you can still keep all of the history available what you could do is :

copy and paste your current signature into a post in this topic

right click on the post number of that post and copy link location from the drop down menu

paste that link into a new signature (so that it can be found easily if we need to double check any of the older information) with a summary of anything older than 1 year (date/drug/dose is all that is needed - ie additional info because that will be in the linked post) and details of the last year (again date/drug/dose & how you decreased/increased).

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi ChessieCat,

Thanks for the tech advice. Really appreciated. Will attempt your suggestion tomorrow when not so tired. Love your website by the way. Very helpful and informative for preventing the preventable!

Bex

Hey cc that's a very clever signature idea. You're a smart cat.

Bex thanks again for taking the time to update. Yeah i totally get it that you dont want to check in that often i was like that in my first year of wdl i simply was too scared at what i was reading ...and the unimaginable iatrogenic situation i was then in.

So no pressure on the updates.

Sounds like you are a very informed kiwi now. I think from memory you said your dad was a doctor. Does he get this iatrogenic injury?

I was entirely unaware of and spending $$$ with a counsellor trying to 'uncover' where the anxiety was coming from. I get that it was largely 'physical' withdrawal (iatrogenisis) now.

Well the good thing is you can now see it. I bet that there are millions who are also spending $$$+ going on councellor past/childhood witch-hunts. Just  tragic .

I am thrilled to say I've found a wonderful psychologist who understands 'withdrawal syndrome'. She is such a wonderful woman and an incredible find for me. She has been through a withdrawal experience and was unwell for many months so understands this process on a deep level. I feel very lucky to have her walking alongside me.

Wow that sure is a wonderful find.

Hey maybe you could recommend her in the nz members thread.

.......I wonder if any of you get what I mean by this?

yep i do totally.

I think it becomes clear also from observing it from a very informed mind. imo

Its great your functioning and confidence have improved.

Good going.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Bex!

Yes it's been a couple of months. I haven't come on too much as I find I'm tempted to read the stories of others and I get caught up with their stories and then panic about the damage I've inadvertedly caused my nervous system. Just need to limit myself a bit from doing that.

I think this is wise.  You learn what is good for you - and if reading threads isn't good for you - then by all means, stay away and go to mosaic class instead (that sounds awesome!)

Beginning of June I increased Zopiclone from just over 1/2 up to 3/4 of 7.5mg. This eradicated the light sensitivity headaches, lapses in concentration and breathlessness improved. This tells me those things must have been related to the Zopiclone reduction earlier in the year. Keeping a daily log of symptoms really helps to figure symptom related issues out.

This tells me that you are skilled at Keeping it Simple and Stable, and Listening to Your Body.

It also says that yes, Zopiclone is causing an issue.  

You are surely dependant upon it now, but there are worse problems to have.

THIS is awesome news:

Here is where she can be extremely useful.  IF and WHEN you need to go to a doctor for something, having your psychologist write her "professional assessment" of how well you have done off the drugs, and how much she approves of your strategy for your mental wellness, blah blah blah - to any doctor BEFORE they reach for the prescription pad - is likely to give more weight to your voice in a doctor's office.

So - it will come - the time to get off the zopiclone - and maybe even the birth control - and having your psychologist in your corner can be pure gold.

My p-doc could not resist the glowing letters written by my psychologist!  This is a strategy to tuck into your pocket and save for later when you may need it.  Keep developing relationship with your psychologist - it is so awesome to hear of good ones!

I'm just gonna finish this post with a quote from you, because it's so present and now and excellent for healing:

Consistently practising living one day at a time, trying to live in the moment and make the most of some of the great people in my life. Today is all I need to deal with.

Yeah!  What you said!

(soon, I will look at the challenging bits) 

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Bex - 

While your "challenging symptoms" (I love that you didn't use a negative word here) are indeed a strong kettle o'fish, it seems you are doing really well dealing with them.

Breathing can tie into cortisol cycles (http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/) or blood sugar (http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9126-low-blood-sugar-and-symptoms-withdrawal-hypoglycemia/ or a few hundred other things that are beyond my ken.  

It was breathlessness that got me started on this journey.  First I quit the cigs.  Then the PPI.  Then, as I was quitting the statins, I found Robert Whitaker's Anatomy of an Epidemic and that started me on the psych drugs.

I am still breathless, in a state of poor fitness and adrenal fatigue, with chronic fatigue crashes if I overdo.

You say your breathlessness happens at a certain time of day - not necessarily in connection with stressors?  Like - if I go "too far" in an exercise class, I will be stuffed for the following 2-3 days.

I challenge my fitness and breathlessness all the time.  The biggest one was HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) where you push yourself for a 10-15 second bursts during regular, low level cardio.  Unfortunately I can't do it any more due to joint pain.  But you may be able to try.    Here's an Aussie science article on HIIT, which convinced me to try it:  http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/catalyst/SC1402H011S00  (let me know if the link doesn't work, it may drop from "iview" into "archive" any minute now)

Another one which helps me (good for lymph and endocrine too), is this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC1FmcFiGqc  Rebounding:  the best exercise in the world, recommended by NASA.  You can do something on the rebounder, whatever your fitness level is.  I find that there are yoga postures I can do on it, that I cannot do on the floor because it eases my joints.

DP / DR - I don't often recommend that you read other's threads - but one of our newer mods, Shep, has devoted her thread to healing through DP/DR with mindfulness.  Her thread is not "disturbing" or depressing at all - in fact - I find it quite uplifting and encouraging to read that - someone who has had it as difficult as Shep - is doing as well as she is doing.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7419-sheps-journey/

She is an inspiration!

Shep's Journey may even help you with the "sticky thoughts" (actually?  boring is good, even if it is - boring!)  As will this thread, where people have talked about their difficulties with repetitive thoughts and compulsive behaviours, and how to deal with them:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3882-ocd-obsessive-thoughts-compulsive-behaviors/

And - one of Shep's own favorites for de-sticking the thought process:

Change the Channel

Of course, the DP / DR may be part of the zopiclone hangovers, too.  Zopiclone has a 5 hour half life, making it popular with docs - supposedly it is less addicting than the other Zs.  As you found out - tiny adjustments to this drug affected you, so you are going to need to take special care to come off it, when you come off it.

Right now, our benzo peer specialist is out of town - but give it a week or so (she says she'll check in, but I'm trying not to give her any reasons to, unless it's an emergency) and go over to our Members Only Benzo Forum and set up an intro thread there.

I'm not sure you're ready to taper yet - as evidenced by the success of your reinstatement.  You may not be totally symptom free before starting your Z- taper, however.

You talk about:

prolonged withdrawal (I hate that word 'protracted' - prolonged sounds slightly less permanent somehow) 

LOL I just think of a "protractor" - that thing we used in geometry class - and imagine that the "protracted withdrawal" is just a wider angle on the protractor, a few more months on the calendar.  So it doesn't hold that negative charge for me.

I'm off for a few hours of hubby time, I'll finish reading your post tonight so new stuff will be waiting for when you wake up!

• Moderator Emeritus

OK, the big issue with zopiclone is its 5 hour half life.  It's designed for one good night's sleep.

So - you are supposed to "withdraw" from it the next day.

Hubby uses this one - when he was working, it was 1x a week, now it's like 1x every 3 months, just when the "cement grinder" of his thoughts are unbearable for him.  Believe me, I hate having the things in the house.  He is not addicted, nor does he abuse them.  But I'd much prefer he built up a meditation practice of 10 minutes a day to prevent that cement grinder from starting up.

But the thing about zopiclone, it's it's meant to knock you out.  It's not like xanax, (also short half-life) where you can divide your dosages into 4-5 little ones and keep your blood serum levels up.  I don't know if you can do that with Zopiclone.  I don't know how this works.  You will have to defer to Wellness in the Benzo Forum and heed her sage advice.

You might study here, to see if you can pick up any tips and tricks for people who are hooked on this thing:

Tips for Tapering off Z-Drugs for Sleep - Ambien, Lunesta, etc.

Again, there are worse things, and it sounds like you are not quite ready yet.  

Your positive attitude is really serving you, and I have a feeling that your next update is going to be amazing!

I will also second what NZ11 said - if you've got a good practitioner - even if s/he cannot prescribe - a good psych can be an excellent tool in anyone's healing process!

If you have any further questions, if there is anything more I can point you to, just let me know!  Overall - it looks from here like you are healing very well!  I can't begin to tell you how rewarding it is to see someone learn and grow through their symptoms, into a more complete human.  Just amazing, really!

Thankyou NZ11 for your reply. I really appreciate that. You mentioned that you also understood some of the 'cognitive' type stuff going on. Has this eventually improved for you? Did it take quite a while to ease up? This 'distractibleness' etc only began for me this year after Quetiapine adverse reaction. It has certainly lessoned somewhat though but a horrible thing non the less.

JanCarol thanks a million for your time and thoughts. You put a lot into your reply including links etc... and lovely positive support which I so very much appreciate. I will come back again tomorrow when not so tired to follow up some of the links and think things through when not so tired.

Bex

All improvements are very slow and generally noticed in hindsight is what i have found.

Recovering paxil addict

• 4 months later...

Hi Kiwibex any update?

Recovering paxil addict

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

It's been 7 months since I last updated. I limit my time on here as I find I'm tempted to read the stories of others and I get caught up with their stories and then panic about the damage I've inadvertedly caused my nervous system.

I'm still in prolonged withdrawal and I'm doing ok. Some days are harder than others and some moments are challenging - I live by the "one minute, one hour, one day philosophy." Main symptoms are : breathlessness on/off, DP, headachey, anhedonia at times, cognitive issues - distractible/planning ahead is very hard/memory issues at times and scattered thinking. My symptoms are still the same but somewhat less intense as compared to a year ago. I'm very lucky to see a psychologist who understands withdrawal and supports me with symptom management. She had a bad withdrwal from trazadone herself.

I am continuing with my art therapy as this really helps. I go to a mosaics and print making classes. I am really enjoying printmaking! I have a facebook page where I share my work and this helps me to continue to stay motivated to produce work.

The only medication I continue to take is zopiclone (and the Ginet contraceptive pill) as the my signature says. I'm pretty scared about the effect this may be having on me. ie:tolerance withdrawal etc... Anyway I've decided I'll message wellness and see what she says about my current situation regarding that ect... 

I hope everyone is doing aswell as possible on their journeys. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for taking the time to update KBR

Sounds like you have a great distraction from wdl and that means time will fly fast.

And what a great philosophy.

What an informed psychologist sounds like they really are truly qualified to be able to walk alongside the psychotropically harmed.

Wonder if its worth adding their name to the list of good guys on this site.

Great update. Wishing you even less  symptoms in the coming year.

Recovering paxil addict