SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Robinlynn: Needing advice on managing withdrawal or do I reinstate?

Robinlynn

I am in need of advice on the best approach I should take with the protracted withdrawal I am experiencing.  Continue  with the suffering of my current withdrawal or risk what happens with reinstatement?   I had taken zoloft for probably up to 10 years at varying amounts depending on my condition.  I eventually chose to taper off over a period of several months without significant issues.  However, my mood began to decline over time and I decided to go back on it within a year.  I started on 25mg and felt an immediate increase in anxiety. Severe anxiety to the point I could not fathom continuing to stay on the medication.  I began a VERY FAST taper off as I was so fearful of staying on it any longer and my system getting hooked on it again.  I was off of it completely within 10 days to 2 weeks,  cant quite remember,  cutting my does in half every couple days. This occurred in October of 2015.   Now I suffer the protracted withdrawal that we are all familiar with:  anxiety, depression, nausea, inability to eat, insomnia, burning and tingling paresthesias, general flu like feeling all the time, weight loss, loss of work...... It seems that I am sensitive to any type of supplement now and am often fearful of trying something.  I am however, still taking a high quality fish oil at approximately 2 grams per day, as I read this was recommended for both anxiety and withdrawal.  I still wonder if it actually helps or if it only prolongs the withdrawal process. My suffering is frequently unbearable, and at those times I am tempted to try going back on an SSRI in hopes of finding relief.  However, since I found being on it this last time so dreadful with the increase in anxiety, I am fearful the same thing will happen.  I am at a loss and so confused on what to do.  I would appreciate greatly any advice on how best to manage this.   

Robinlynn

zoloft 2004-2014 with taper off

zoloft October of 2015 25 mg then tapered off over next 10 days  :(

• Administrator

Welcome, Robinlynn.

I am very sorry you're going through this.

It sounds like possibly you reinstated at too high an amount, and this triggered more neurological dysfunction.

Does the fish oil help? If you don't feel anything from it, or if if does help, I would keep taking it. See more about fish oil here
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

Many people do better with magnesium supplements as well, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You need to work on quieting your nervous system. Have you tried acupuncture?

See our Symptoms and Self-care forum  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/for suggestions about how to cope with symptoms.

Also see What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin.

I noticed your situation and it is somewhat similar to mine. I am sorry you are going through this. I cant offer a lot of help at this point but there are many on here who are knee deep in this or have greatly improved and might be able to provide some good advice. I hope you respond so they can try.     

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Robin,

Further to Alto's post, if you were to decide to try going back on the SSRI, you would want to try it at a fractional dose of where you were.  For example, if you reinstated at 25mg and it was overly activating, if you were to reinstate you would need to do so at something like 5mg max to see if that quieted the problems.  Given the various changes in dose you have made and the fact that you went off and back on the medicine your nervous system is in a state of flux right now.  The key as Alto suggests is to try to stabilize it without reinstating through various alternative means.  In addition to magnesium and acupuncture, some additional suggestions would be meditation, yoga and essential oils (lavender and frankincense are very calming and healing).

Keep us posted.

Best of luck,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Members

Pip

2 posts

0 warning points

LocationSt Louis, MO

Sent 25 January 2016 - 08:49 PM

I am new to the site and do not check too frequently as some of the stories are discouraging to me when I see how long they have been struggling. I debated many times on reinstating but as I have made it this far and it is slowly improving, I am hesitant to do so. Fearful is a more suitable word. I hate what the medication robbed of me and don't want to backtrack. My waves are milder and I am able to work. I am not yet normal by any means, but I do have some close to normal days. My last window lasted 7 days. I am beginning acupuncture and Qi Gong in hopes of furthering my healing and managing the anxiety, which at this point is the most intolerable of my symptoms. I fight this pharmaceutical cruelty with every every ounce of my being: exercise, affirmations, meditations, sensory integration strategies, dietary restrictions, Qi Gong and tomorrow will be my first treatment with Acupuncture. I continue with fish oil in high dosage. Other calming products have been stimulating, including magnesium.

Robinlynn

• Moderator Emeritus

My last window lasted 7 days. I am beginning acupuncture and Qi Gong in hopes of furthering my healing and managing the anxiety, which at this point is the most intolerable of my symptoms. I fight this pharmaceutical cruelty with every every ounce of my being: exercise, affirmations, meditations, sensory integration strategies, dietary restrictions, Qi Gong and tomorrow will be my first treatment with Acupuncture. I continue with fish oil in high dosage.

Robin,

By all means, keep doing what you are doing and add in these other calming techniques.  I was certainly not suggesting you reinstate -- only advising how you would should you need to because you raised the concept.  The fact that you are meeting with such positive success and are improving as you go is an indication that what you are doing is working.  Do not waste time and energy that can be devoted to healing in a generalized anger towards Pharma.  We ALL hate that industry and some are actively pursuing claims and action against them.  But random anger is just taxing to your soul and that energy is better spent elsewhere.

You are doing great.  We are here to help fill in the gaps.  How is Qi Gong working for you?

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

I'm sorry if you interpreted my post as random anger. It wasn't meant to be. When I speak of what happened to me it is hard not to be emotional and unfortunately it does still being me to tears on the bad days. As far as the QiGong, the classes are limited where I live and the next session starts mid February. I am trying to learn and practice on my own through books, dvds and youtube videos. I never know what is helping and what isn't as symptoms fluctuate so much day to day. But overall, I improve and will continue to practice the QiGong. It seems to calm paresthesia symptoms and anxiety a little. I am hopeful that when I can study it with a teacher/master, I will notice more healing benefits. I appreciate very much your support and understanding. It is comforting talking to someone who understands (and believes) what I have went and am still going through.

Robin

Robinlynn

• Moderator Emeritus

Robin,

Not really that you were randomly angry -- just that you were harboring a lot of anger towards pharma that was better used in other ways.  Maybe a distinction without a difference.

In any event, I just bought a program online:

http://www.leeholden.com/

It was about $100 but it's got a lot for the money and if I don't like it after I use it for a while, it's got a guarantee.

Best,

Andy

Thank you for the link. Have you practiced QiGong in the past? I will consider purchasing this course myself. Let me know what you think of it.

Robin

Robinlynn

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Robynlynn ,  welcome to the site.

In the light of my own experience with protracted withdrawal following a too-fast taper , I'd recommend seriously considering

the option of reinstating.  

You're around 12 weeks out , so you still have a good chance that it will go smoothly.

As Andy said , you should start with a tiny dose , perhaps 2mg to start , to ensure that you don't have an adverse reaction.

Lots of members on this site are suffering for months and years after stopping too abruptly.  Your brain has become very

used to the drug after 10 years , and it will take a long , long time to recover.  

Many people do alright initially , as you are , then get slammed with symptoms at 9 or 12 months out.  By then , reinstating

usually doesn't work.

If you're able to stabilize on a small dose , you can then maintain your lifestyle and relationships.  By going down in small increments , you avoid the debiliitating w/d symptoms.

Please see our thread on reinstating here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

bw ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg