SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Mccauley

Mccauley

I've been reading a lot in here. My issue may not be one for this forum. I have questions about withdrawing from lyrica.

I had been prescribed lyrica 50 mgs twice daily and Wellbutrin 300. I had been taking both of the lyrica in the morning with the Wellbutrin and a claretin d. With this concoction I was able to get up and function most days. Somehow, the doctors office turned in my script for 150 of lyrica twice a day instead of 50. I was then taking 300 in the morning along with the others. I had a mail order supply of three months. I honestly thought I was loosing my mind. My poor memory went non existent. I had conversations I couldn't remember among other things like car accidents, weight gain and just horrible feelings.

On advice from another forum I asked the doctor for 50 mg tablets trying to get back to the dosage that worked for me. He suggested to take 200 mgs a day for a month, then 100. This is causing me so much pain and depression and fatigue.

I had some questions for anyone who may have any insight or advice.

In 2014 I had a bad withdrawal from cymbalta and this situation is just making me crazy.

If there is somewhere else I should go please let me know.
Thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat
Added paragraphs and generic drug tag

I have been on anti depressants since I was 19. I started with Elavil I think. Been through a lot of them but never noticed a withdrawal until I tried to get off Effexor. I cannot remember a lot of things. In 2012 I think I was put on cymbalta and had the textbook horrible withdrawal from it when it stopped working in 2013. It was a year long ordeal,

2014 cymbalta wothdrawal <br />Currently on Wellbutrin 300 xl<br />Lyrica Was 50 x2<br />Doctors office called it in as 150.mg. x2<br />trying to get bck to 50 x2<br />And/or/maybe off<br /><br />

My goal now is to lower my dosage back to 100 mg a day, or try to get rid of it altogether. So far not its happening.

1/29/16 return to 300 my Lyrica. 12/1/16 tense and twitchy but still Functioning. Had 15 min period of unbalance.

Target date for sliding into B.M. Is Monday February 29, 2016. Didn't make that one

March 18,2016. Att to delete 5% from my 300 mg. difficulty measuring a 5% drop. Poss 6% or so.going to stay here for a while. Symptoms increasing last few days. Pain,fatigue,headache,twitching,weight gain,hair loss.

March 26, 2016. 10% decrease approx. high BP, vertigo,twitching,feel high.

March 26, 2016 350 mg Day 13 I have worked through most symptoms until now. Headache has overtaken me and I am too weak to get up today. Upped dosage to 280 and. Added 20 at night. Previous symptoms never abated. Fatigue not bearable 12/1/16 dosage now. At 290mgs. All my records do not make sense. December 2016 gave up returned to 300

Weaned down to 290 mgs symptoms returned. February. 20 again returned to 300 mgs.

Some energy returned and I'm functioning but zombie like with cognitive problems.

Decided to quit trying to quit. Be surprised if I have any cns left with what I have done to it.

July 2017 started splitting dosage of two, 200 mgs lyrica.  Taking one pill then waiting one hour for the other.  Aiming for ten hours between dosage then decrease from there.  Presently at eight hours October 2017 between doses with tolerable side effects.  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mccauley

• KarenB

• Fresh

• SquirrellyGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Can so,some tell me how to delete all this please. I have found information on another one of your posts and I can't figure out how to get rid of this.

I have been on anti depressants since I was 19. I started with Elavil I think. Been through a lot of them but never noticed a withdrawal until I tried to get off Effexor. I cannot remember a lot of things. In 2012 I think I was put on cymbalta and had the textbook horrible withdrawal from it when it stopped working in 2013. It was a year long ordeal,

2014 cymbalta wothdrawal <br />Currently on Wellbutrin 300 xl<br />Lyrica Was 50 x2<br />Doctors office called it in as 150.mg. x2<br />trying to get bck to 50 x2<br />And/or/maybe off<br /><br />

My goal now is to lower my dosage back to 100 mg a day, or try to get rid of it altogether. So far not its happening.

1/29/16 return to 300 my Lyrica. 12/1/16 tense and twitchy but still Functioning. Had 15 min period of unbalance.

Target date for sliding into B.M. Is Monday February 29, 2016. Didn't make that one

March 18,2016. Att to delete 5% from my 300 mg. difficulty measuring a 5% drop. Poss 6% or so.going to stay here for a while. Symptoms increasing last few days. Pain,fatigue,headache,twitching,weight gain,hair loss.

March 26, 2016 350 mg Day 13 I have worked through most symptoms until now. Headache has overtaken me and I am too weak to get up today. Upped dosage to 280 and. Added 20 at night. Previous symptoms never abated. Fatigue not bearable 12/1/16 dosage now. At 290mgs. All my records do not make sense. December 2016 gave up returned to 300

Weaned down to 290 mgs symptoms returned. February. 20 again returned to 300 mgs.

Some energy returned and I'm functioning but zombie like with cognitive problems.

Decided to quit trying to quit. Be surprised if I have any cns left with what I have done to it.

July 2017 started splitting dosage of two, 200 mgs lyrica.  Taking one pill then waiting one hour for the other.  Aiming for ten hours between dosage then decrease from there.  Presently at eight hours October 2017 between doses with tolerable side effects.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi mccauley,

This is the right place if you want to have your own thread where you can ask questions or discuss your situation.  Each member has a thread here to track their progress on. 

Would you like to keep it here then? 

Welcome to s/a, by the way...

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you Karen.

I guess so. Just got embarrassed that I found the information on someone else's post. Thought I would just take that information and carry on.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ah, don't worry about it :).  There is so much info on this site, which is why we like people to start off by introducing themselves - then we can point them in the right direction for their specific situation. 

What amount of Lyrica are you currently taking, and for how long were you on the triple dose?  (Good Lord - how did the doc manage that?)  The answers will determine how quickly you should move back to your original dose.  Are you wanting to eventually taper down to 0? 

This site recommends tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose each month, in order to reduce withdrawal symptoms.  That large dose has really destabilised your central nervous system, but it can settle again given time and care.  Here are the Tips for tapering lyrica

I hope that helps - please post again if you have more questions about tapering. 

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

I don't know how that happened. I double checked with the pharmacy to make sure. When I finally figured it out, I was jist devastated.

I was on the 300 for four months I think. I Started taking out what i thought one third of one of the the pills would be and cutting back that way. That was not good. Then after the doctor visit I am trying to do what he recommended, two hundred, but then added another fifty because I couldn't get around. So two days of 200 and two days of 250. Im not feeling well. I see I'm coming off too fast. I would love to not be on it but I don't think that will happen. Was aiming for how I was feeling on the.100. I'm a little crazy but functioning or at least I was on the 100.plus the Wellbutrin.

I did notice that the 300 hundred was not as high a dosage as I thought since others were on that. Hopefully I haven't just gone over the edge after that cymbalta fiasco. I can take it if only I could get moving again,

I see I made a mistake by typing all that in my profile that should have been on my page. Ah well

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the site McCauley. So sorry that that happened - no wonder you thought you were losing our mind. After 4 months on 300mg you will need to take it slowly.

So dropping 1/3 (300mg to 200mg) was clearly too much. As Karen pointed out , the recommendation here is to drop 10% maximum in order to try and avoid withdrawal symptoms.

300mg to 250mg is around 17 1/2 %. Perhaps , since it's only been 4 days since you decreased at all , you would be better off gong back to 300mg until things are more settled , and then tapering slowly.

If you look at the links Karen provided , you'll find instruction on measuring doses accurately , so that you're not estimating doses as you taper.

Best wishes , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you both very much.

I went back to the 300 this morning, and will stay here for a few days. (?) I want to say until I feel better but maybe just less bad. I'm amazed at the information you have here.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'd give it at least a week.  It can take 4 days for a new dose to register properly in your system.  Keeping daily symptom notes on paper is very useful for working out what to do and when to do it.  Our brains can get very forgetful on these drugs. 

The info here is all down to the lovely Alto :).

Let us know how things progress.

8 month hold.

Ok, diary out. I'm bouncing off the walls again back on 300 :) Again thanks

So sad. I have noticed that I have started leaving kitchen cabinet doors open. Unusual for me as I like everything in its place. Then I notice I have been leaving my car door open or my car running--I mean parking my car to buy groceries or to go inside the house and leaving my car running. I don't even know if this is part of the Lyrica problem or am I showing signs of Alzheimer's or some other kind of mental illness. I may not know for a long time. This makes me very sad. I'm watching my husband's brain being consumed with that disease. It's not unreasonable to question this. Am I permantly damaged ? I may not ever return to a more normal person. I function most days feeling high, about three feet off the ground. Interesting but frightening.

• Moderator Emeritus

You might like this thread You know you're in withdrawal when...  Many of those experiences would fit right in there. 

Also, that high feeling is a very common w/d symptom, which can be quite unsettling.  Usually it seems to go away after some time, like it's a phase we pass through on our way to getting stabilised.  Your CNS is trying to find 'normal' again. 

What about tying some elastic to your wrist and attaching the car keys to it?  Last thing you need is for someone to drive off with your car...

8 month hold.

Thank you Karen.

Wow. Everything's in there is me too !! Good to smile about it.

I'm wondering if I am technically still I'm withdrawal if I am on day five of going back to original dose in order to taper off more slowly ?

That would be great as i am just right on target with "you know you're in wothdrawal if..."

• Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, technically...  I'd say yes, because w/d symptoms don't just shut off when you reinstate, and neither has your CNS stabilised.  So you aren't tapering right now, but you are still experiencing w/d symptoms which were activated during previous tapers. 

8 month hold.

Oh god Karen. That makes me feel so much better. I'm going to try the keys on the wrist thing now because I'm headed to the grocery store. at least if I leave my car running I know where the keys are.

I keep on with the thank you thank you because this is a lonely task. It's nice to know someone gets it.

Day one of ten percent reduction

This medicine CANNOT be this powerful. A small amount less and I have pain, no energy and I'm crying, can ts really be from Lyrica.

I am so angry to be in this position.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm afraid it is just that powerful Mccauley.  

I suspect 2 weeks wasn't long enough for your cns to recover after your big 33%  drop.

You could go back to 300mg again , wait until you really have stabilized , i.e. 6-8 weeks , then do a 5% cut.

The point is for this tapering process to be as painless as possible.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Fresh has a good idea Mccauley.  It could be quicker - not to mention less painful - than waiting it out. 

Have you thought of a mico-taper or Brass-monkey slide? 

8 month hold.

Torn between trying to ride it out or going back to 300. Wonder if the doc will give me more for that.

Geeze. Nothing I write is making sense.

Karen, a what ? I searched here for that and didn't see anything.

• Moderator Emeritus

See the thread on "Why Micro-Taper instead of 5 or 10%"  here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2878-micro-taper-instead-of-10-or-5-decreases/

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

So sad. I have noticed that I have started leaving kitchen cabinet doors open. Unusual for me as I like everything in its place. Then I notice I have been leaving my car door open or my car running--I mean parking my car to buy groceries or to go inside the house and leaving my car running. I don't even know if this is part of the Lyrica problem or am I showing signs of Alzheimer's or some other kind of mental illness. I may not know for a long time. This makes me very sad. I'm watching my husband's brain being consumed with that disease. It's not unreasonable to question this. Am I permantly damaged ? I may not ever return to a more normal person. I function most days feeling high, about three feet off the ground. Interesting but frightening.

Just getting caught up on your thread, Mccauley...Oh, I can relate to this so much!  When I was in protracted withdrawal but didn't know it, I was having such brain fog, lapses in concentration, and I had the same thoughts about early onset Alzheimers!  I can say that after reinstatement, things got much better, though still not perfect, and during my slow taper I've never had it that bad again, knock wood.  I do have to focus hard on tasks to make sure I'm covering all the bases.  And 5 seconds after placing my keys in my purse I have to look inside to make sure I actually did it before locking the car!  I wonder if I will ever feel solid about my memory again.  Now wondering how much of this is from being on the drugs to begin with and how much is from having gone through a failed attempt to come off.

You are not alone!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Fresh gave you a good link, and there is also this one.  Slow tapers

The Brass-monkey slide is a method Brassmonkey came up with, hence its name.  The basics are in his signature, but you'll probably get some good ideas by skimming over his thread too.

I know, it's a funny name :)

8 month hold.

Thank you all for this. I don't think I can write cohesively. Read all the links..To be honest the numbers look like Greek. I printed some of the advice and screen shot some so I can sit and concentrate on it but I will have to wait a while. Wanting to try the brass monkey slide. Enjoyed reading his story.

I feel like a seething pile of evil. I'm twitching like a crack addict. Too many symotoms to mention. Seriously this is craziness.

Squirrelly I'm sorry/relieved to hear you have similar thoughts and your car deal..omg. Do you sometimes come out of a store and look to see what you may have done ?

No sense. Tryg to ride this but I feel too high. What a mess I'm in. Ok now my husband has started making guttural sounds when he exhales. It is making me me scream inside.

And on a side note. I have to wean my DOG off gabapentin. Wonder how he feels.

Big whining post. I'll read it tomorrow and wish I had not sent it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Mccauley ,  please could you fill in your signature so we can see your situation at a glance each time you post.

"I feel like a seething pile of evil. I'm twitching like a crack addict. Too many symotoms to mention".

If this has come since your 10% drop , then the 10% is too much and this isn't going to work for you.

Please , just go back to 300mg and allow yourself to stabilize.

You need to be well to organize your doggie's taper , right?

;)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I saw a link for that ? Can't find it now. :/

• Moderator Emeritus

8 month hold.

Thank you Karen. I understand now I can keep track there, Fresh. New day. Staring at these prescription bottles..guess I'll dig in. Went back to the 300 yesterday and feeling better. Holding here and plan on "sliding" in a while. I sure do deteriorate quickly.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mccauley, I'm so glad updosing worked!  Good to know that you are easily destabilized so need to slide carefully :-)  Nothing like having that happen to make you see the light. It's a  tough pill to swallow, though.  You are not alone in this!

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

SG. Im in good company then. Thank you. I'm still a little twitchy and floaty but it comes in spurts. I have been able to get errands done and see that I have shut the car door, but I find the refrigerator and cabinet doors open all the time, don't know what that's about. I hope you are getting your car turned off now,

I wish this pill came in beads. Have remnants of powder stashed, looks like little piles of cocaine.

Large part of everyone's life taken away.

Wanted to get someone's opinion. I had about ten or so -I think- minutes of vertigo, I guess, yesterday. I couldn't keep my balance or walk straight. Came out of nowhere. So I'm thinking maybe stroke ? Or withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mccauley,

It's always good to get yourself checked out for such things just in case, but I'm willing to bet WD.  Do you have any lasting deficits, weakness of one side?  

I had vertigo a couple of times in the last few years, and I'd NEVER had it before that.  I can't remember if I'd made any dosage cuts. I'd come down off a high level of venlafaxine over the years but just don't remember when I did what.  The vertigo was so bad that I hit my head losing my balance in the shower and then puked!  The bouts passed and haven't had them since.  Since there were no lasting effects and I was under 50 at the time, I figured it was vertigo.  Just didn't make a connection to ven!

I hope you feel better, and if there is anything lingering, for sure get checked out!

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with SG - the episode is very unlikely to be a stroke.  

Although , if you do have any paralysis of the face or body on one side , you should have it checked out.

You've been through this before , so many symptoms will be familiar.  But there always seem to be new ones.

See Dr Glenmullen's Symptom Checklist  here  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

SG

You have really been through hell. (All here have)

I didn't mean full blown stroke..but I am wayyy over fifty, and a stroke took my mother out. Got a little paranoid.

Fresh

I will check that site out. Didn't occur to me new wd symptoms were coming. I keep tapping my face lol checking for numbness. All good.

Feeling better today. Sorry for the roller coaster posts.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you are feeling better, Mccauley!  Had I cared more about my self when I had that happen, I might have been more afraid.  Learning to care now :-)

Never apologize for your posts - they are all valuable, and you are worth it :-)

SG

It is a not good day. Feels like any liquid in my head is bubbling. I bet that makes no sense. The problem im having with going back to 300 Lyrica is that I felt horrible on that dosage. The other day I accidently took two of my Wellbutrin instead of Lyrica. Made myself throw that up. (Sorry) This dose was given to me accidently by the doctors office. How does that happen. Ok, so that's done and i must move on. Thinking of starting the slide tomorrow as this malfunctioning is not good.