SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Alia02: Clomipramine (anafranil)

Alia02

Hi there

Im newish here. After 20 years on and off (mainly on), I have started a very slow gradual tapering of Clomipraimine,(brand name Anafranil),  an old tri-cyclic.

It has helped my chronic pain and depression, but I have put on so much weight, my health is now badly affected. Plus, I find it really hard to wake up in the mornings and my memory is shot.

I have successfully slowly gone from 100mg to 55mg over a period of 5 months. I usually cut about 6 mg at one time (pill cutter).

My last drop I must have calculated wrongly or this is a really hard drop, as all I want to do is sleep and when I stand up, my body is so stiff and achy, I feel like Im 90 (im 55)

But Im determined to carry on as the 20kg wight gain has now affected my health. Im sick of it. I dont want to die young because of this drug. 

Any tips or someone who has actually cut Clomipramine successfully would be most helpful.

Im also thinking of taking on a new job...but wonder if I should....

Many thanks,

Liz

Chronic severe nerve pain and depression since 1984 (due to a motor vehicle accident and spinal injuries)  Due to long tern pain was on Morphine, Neurontin, Codeine, Valium . Off these meds altho occasional codeine.  Since 2002 Serequel for Insomnia. 25mg.  15 yrs on Clomipramine/tri-cyclic a/d.  Aug 2015. 100mg cut to 95mg. Late aug 95-90mg. Sept 1st, 90mg to 85mg. Sept 14.85mg to 80mg. October 1st , 80 to 75mg. Oct 15; 75 to 70.  Nov 1st ; 70mg-65mg.  Nov14: 65 to 60mg. 60mg. December ..break. Jan2016. 60mg to 55mg. Symptoms began: very sleepy, achy, light headed, dizzy, increased pain, numb, depressed..  Jan 30/ 55 to 50mg. Symptoms/ extreme tiredness. blurry vision and inaccurate vision, painful and itchy eyes, depression, insomnia, flu like symptoms. achy/ sweating/ relationship issues. work issues. Feb 10th. Back up to 55mg. Withdrawl symptoms subsided. March 10: 55 to 50mg. withdrawl ok. April 12 Seroquel 21mg May 12 Seroquel 17mg. Nov severe depression went up to 75mg Anti dep.  Jan 2017, diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and prescribed 60mg Epilim. Instant relief. March Doc suggested slow decrease of anti dep so from 75 to 70, March 17, 2017.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alia02

• MNgal1960

• KarenB

• AliG

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome fellow Kiwi :),

There is a wealth of good information and support on this site - I'm sure once you've had a good look around you're going to feel better placed to continue with your taper. 

It's great that you did tapering instead of just stopping.  That's saved you a good deal of bother. 

My maths isn't too crash-hot, but at some point (maybe the point you're at now) that 6mg you're reducing each time will be too much for your system.  S/A recommends tapering by 10% of the dose each month in order to avoid w/d symptoms.  So the amount you reduce by should be less each time. 

It sounds like things are catching up with you a little, so at this point it could be a good idea to stop reducing for a while.  How long ago did you make that drop, and by what amount did you drop?  (Maybe you could pad out your signature with some dates and amounts - it helps us to be more accurate in helping you). 

If it was recent and the drop was too big you could consider up-dosing to your last dose.  Then when you are good and stable you can resume tapering, but using a gentler method.  You will be able to get off these - I really hear your concerns for your health - but gentler and slower usually works best in the long run. 

You might like to read What is Withdrawal Syndrome? as understanding what is happening to you can alleviate some of the worry, and help you to stay on track.

So have a read of those, and then you can come back to this thread to ask more questions and make a plan.

Best wishes,

Karen

PS you can also join us in the NZ section to see local info etc. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I took Anafranil for 10 years for OCD. I had to cold turkey stop it because my dr increased it and I developed serotonin syndrome. It has been 5 months and I feel every ache and pain still. I didn't take Anafranil for chronic pain but I guess it did something because now that I am off I am so sensitive to every ache and pain. It also helps with IBS and I now have serious digestive issues. I miss all the benefits of it, but it pooped out on me. It is a rough journey that I wish on no one.

Jan 2005 started Anafranil 25mg

Aug 2015 stopped Anafranil after increase attempt caused serotonin syndrome

Aug 2015 started Buspar

Currently only on Buspar 10mg 2x day

Thank-you Karen and Lissanne. Oh Lissanne I totally understand. Once, I went to a pain psychiatrist and he told me Clomipramine was one of the 'dirtiest drugs' to on the market...( Whatever that means) and very hard to get on and off. So I so feel for you. Hang in there. It must get better. The trouble is, for many things, it is a very effective drug....great for OCD and tummy problems and the best for nerve pain that I have ever had.

BUT it comes with side effects.

Thank-you so much KarenB for your very helpful post. Reading the 10% suggestions I think I have been coming off way too fast for me. I really have only hit problems on my last two drops....especially my last drop which was about five days ago. I see what you are saying about going back up, but today I feel a little better than yesterday, so I have decided to give it a couple more days to see if I level out . If I dont then I will go up again.

I guess I am just getting impatient, as I was going so well. I haven't been on this low dose for years. but I don't want to relapse either. Its just my eating is out of control and I can pinpoint it to stating this drug. I have recently started Overeaters Anonymous too as I thought that might help me with my eating, but maybe Im trying to make too many changes at once? Thanks so much for the heads up about the NZ page. I have added some notes in my signature and hope that this is clear to those that read it.Thanks for the encouragement. I need it!!!!!! I so look forward to the day when I feel more myself.

Chronic severe nerve pain and depression since 1984 (due to a motor vehicle accident and spinal injuries)  Due to long tern pain was on Morphine, Neurontin, Codeine, Valium . Off these meds altho occasional codeine.  Since 2002 Serequel for Insomnia. 25mg.  15 yrs on Clomipramine/tri-cyclic a/d.  Aug 2015. 100mg cut to 95mg. Late aug 95-90mg. Sept 1st, 90mg to 85mg. Sept 14.85mg to 80mg. October 1st , 80 to 75mg. Oct 15; 75 to 70.  Nov 1st ; 70mg-65mg.  Nov14: 65 to 60mg. 60mg. December ..break. Jan2016. 60mg to 55mg. Symptoms began: very sleepy, achy, light headed, dizzy, increased pain, numb, depressed..  Jan 30/ 55 to 50mg. Symptoms/ extreme tiredness. blurry vision and inaccurate vision, painful and itchy eyes, depression, insomnia, flu like symptoms. achy/ sweating/ relationship issues. work issues. Feb 10th. Back up to 55mg. Withdrawl symptoms subsided. March 10: 55 to 50mg. withdrawl ok. April 12 Seroquel 21mg May 12 Seroquel 17mg. Nov severe depression went up to 75mg Anti dep.  Jan 2017, diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and prescribed 60mg Epilim. Instant relief. March Doc suggested slow decrease of anti dep so from 75 to 70, March 17, 2017.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alia,

The fact that you felt better today is a good sign that you will stabilise.  I agree with you that observing what happens over the next two days is a sensible idea.  I just thought of this chart which you might like a look at:  Importance of Gradual Change in Plasma Concentration

You mention the possibility of both starting a new job and attending over-eaters anon.  It would really depend on how you're managing day-to-day.  If it were me I'd be inclined to wait till I got through this tricky patch.  Weight loss or gain are very common side-effects among those of us on these meds. 

In addition, most of us find that our diet is quite important to how w/d goes.  Since I've been tapering I've gradually cut out white flour and sugar, alcohol, coffee and most cocoa.  They were making me feel too horrible.  When I eat well my symptoms are less intense.  The other reason diet is important in w/d is because the meds have a habit of messing with our digestive system, and so that needs healing too.

To me it's just made sense to see the whole thing as one connected system that needs some healing attention. 

Glad you found the NZ site,

Karen.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

Always filled with mixed emotions when it comes to saying welcome to a fellow kiwi.

Welcome Alia.

I live just 4 hrs south of you at CFW. FW by nature and FW by address i guess.

When did you start the seroquel?

Were you advised of the nature of this drug ...-it is an antipsychotic.

You are taking it at night ...sometimes a samll dose is given for insomnia. Are you taking it for insomnia?

Maybe insomnia started with the clom. tapering?

If so 25 mg is not a small dose.

Doctors may be/ are getting kickbacks for prescribing this. I have recently learned that if they fill a certain number of prescriptions per month they get a reward.... this may be why there has been a major uptick in its use. Note: It has not been formally approved by the FDA for treating insomnia.

anyway i digress it comes with some serious adverse effects. If you have only just recently started it one option may be to hold the taper of clom and consider tapering the seroquel.

Are you able to put in your sig the date you started this seroquel drug.

Well done on finding sa. Your year is off to a brilliant start.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thanks guys. Great advice. I cant thank you enough for just listening. It's so hard to explain it to someone who hasn't been through it. My husband was on an anti-depressant and came off no problem, so he can't understand why its so hard for me, even though he is trying to.

NZ11..yes I changed my signature to show you how long I have been on Serequel. A long time. Ever since I have been taking Clomipramine, I have had a period of long insomnia in the night. That is why I was given the Serequel. It has occurred to me to actually drop it first, but didnt want to mix up the drops or do it together. It doesn't suprize me at all about doctors getting kickbacks. Since I had a major car accident with left me with at times, severe spinal nerve pain, doctors literally throw drugs at me left right and centre. It has taken me a long long time to realise I have to be strong and tell them to back off. Sometimes I think they do it out of their own anxiety at being unable to 'fix' me. Anyway, now Im taking control.

And by the way, I used to holiday as a child at Carters Beach, just near Cape Foulwind..

KarenB thanks so much for advice about diet etc. I will try and manage that but find my food compulsions quite hard to manage. Maybe that will become easier as I withdraw. Thank guys.

Ali it is great to have another kiwi voice in this forum. And what a great beach that is.

Thankyou for clarifying time frames.

May i ask are you suffering diabetes? , any unusual persistent body movements?

One option here is to consider this...

one might systematically lower the antidepressant part way, then lower the antipsychotic. If sleep doesn't break up, continue to get off the antipsychotic. If it breaks up, stop lowering the antipsychotic, stabilize, and lower the antidepressant, managing the tapers in a way that preserves sleep.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first/

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

It can be a little hard to tell what will happen during w/d, but most people find improvements as they lower doses.  I hope it will ease things for you, because compulsions are a hard thing to deal with.  I wouldn't be trying to fix/change everything at once, but rather gradually make small changes as you feel able.  The healing will start to build on itself, and as you start to feel some benefits, you'll be better placed to make further changes.

Or so the theory goes... 

8 month hold.

Hi , thanks guys, all this information is very helpful.

nz11, I don't fortunately suffer from diabetes or unusual body movements. But i did look up Seroquel and am quite alarmed how many side effects it does have.

I definitely think I will stabilise for a while and then try and lower Seroquel slightly and see if it affects sleep. If I could get rid of it early on, I will...however as the literature says, I will wait and see how my drop goes and if I can sleep without seroquel while I come off.

Thanks KarenB. Sensible advice that I should know myself, but it's not till someone points it out, that I realise it is true.

Thanks

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have stabilised on my last drop. the problem now is, I suffer at times from severe nerve pain. So severe that at times I have to take a pain killer in order to sleep and keep going or to work. It is about 9/10 pain. So anyway I did this yesterday and today have guests staying. I feel so weird after taking the painkiller...dizzy, tense, unwell....I think the painkiller has brought back the withdrawl and heightened it. I don't know how to get around this as at times, I will need to be on a painkiller when all else in my aresenal (heat, rest, meditation) fails...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I have introduced myself before. I have been succesfully been dropping my Clomipramine. In January, I dropped it again and it was quite shaky. People here talked me through it and in the meantime I stabilised. Then late Jan I dropped again and I had new symptoms...mainly depression/ flu like symptoms and vision blurriness and impairment. Basically today when I was driving, a set of bushes actually seemed to come out into the road (kind of like a jigsaw piece) and I had to brake suddenly. I looked again and the bush was normal. I came straight home and went up again to my last dropped dosage. Literally in half an hour, I was ok again. (So it cant be depression as the increase would take a few weeks to have an impact) 

My question is.. is it common this vision disturbance and also, will I have to go much slower now that Ive almost halved my dose? That means, instead of every 2-3 weeks dropping, I may have to drop every one or two months? it's so frustrating...I hate these drugs and the extreme impact they have on my whole person. It has been affecting my relationship and work. I feel like a prisoner to this drug. But tomorrow, I have to be a reporter at a Community Council meeting and I have to be alert, otherwise I wont get paid. 

I kind of know the answer, but if I told a doctor that trees were moving...Id be put on more drugs! And yet, in half an hour my symptoms have been alleviated with an increase. I feel like a failure.

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Alia,

That must have been really scary. 

Can you find more of a happy medium for tapering-- a longer interval than 2-3 weeks, but not 2 months? So, try 4 weeks? It's probably longer than you want to wait, but it's less than 2 months. I know we want to get off these medicines, but it does seem that slower works better. 

"if I told a doctor that trees were moving...Id be put on more drugs!" --> I don't know if I find it  comforting, or disconcerting, that it's not just here in the U.S. that doctors prescribe drugs so freely.  :blink:

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alia ,  I have joined your new topic with your Introduction thread.

The recommendation for tapering is to decrease minimum every 4 weeks.  

You might want to take a long hold for a couple of months now to allow your cns to "catch up" with your rate of decrease.

Ideally , you wait until all symptoms have resolved after a cut before decreasing further. To do this safely means

listening to your body , not following the calendar.

Please could you update your signature to include your latest increase so we know where you're at.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks guys. So Fresh, do I always just add my withdrawl updates to my initial Introduction and only do a new post if its say about a specific topic? (Sorry my brain isn't the best) Yes, I will stay on my updated 55mg for at least a month, if not two and then try and go down again. Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

That's right Alia , just one thread per person in the Introduction section.  It keeps all your information in one place.

You'll most likely feel a whole lot stronger in 6 or 8 weeks , and can move forward more cautiously from there.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 1 month later...

Yay have gone down to 50 mg with not too much effect. Just a few shaky days but now good. Feel really happy about this.  :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Alia. Congratulations on your taper so far. I'm glad you're doing well and feeling happy.  :)  That's always good to hear. 

Thanks Shep! :)

Alia.    Keep up the good work . It sounds like you are coping well , and having some improvements.  You can ask questions / update progress / or just journal here on your introduction thread , anytime you feel like doing so .

I notice that you're on a pain pill of some kind , and that it seems to make your symptoms worse.

Hi

I have stabilised on my last drop. the problem now is, I suffer at times from severe nerve pain. So severe that at times I have to take a pain killer in order to sleep and keep going or to work. It is about 9/10 pain. So anyway I did this yesterday and today have guests staying. I feel so weird after taking the painkiller...dizzy, tense, unwell....I think the painkiller has brought back the withdrawl and heightened it. I don't know how to get around this as at times, I will need to be on a painkiller when all else in my aresenal (heat, rest, meditation) fails...

Looking at your signature , I can see you were on pain killers at one stage , but if you are still taking something , it would be helpful to know , as it can also have an effect on your progress. What are you taking ?   Maybe, if you could update your signature , it will make it easier to help .

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi AliG. Will update my signature. Im off all regular pain killers now but occasionally take codeine 30mg for when paid is unbearable. I have severe nerve pain due to a car accident and nerve damage throughout my spine. So generally I do ok without anything. But occasionally after days of agony I will take a codeine. I know it will impinge on my recovery but as it helps to break my pain cycle I occasionally do. Hope this makes sense.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alia , codeine was one medication that helped hold off my w/d in 2013. It's fine to take occasionally.

You may find as you taper that you're more sensitive to it , and half a dose does the trick ;).

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh

:)

Alia.   I think you have done exceptionally well , to come as far as you have in getting off these drugs ,  particularly as you have some long term pain issues. I'm sorry for that, but you seem to have a great attitude .  I hope you can keep going in that positive direction .  I notice you have tapered rapidly If you could slow down to 10% Taper , or even less. ( micro -taper) , I think you would find it less of an assault on your system .  As you have already found , if you taper too quickly , it has a way of catching up with you .  Many here , do a slow " turtle taper " !    It might be something to think about , but if not certainly 10 % , with a good hold  in between.

The slowness of slow tapers

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Thanks AliG. I thought I was doing 5% tapers towards the end but my maths is shot so I probably calculated wrong!! So thanks and Ill read the links you have given me thoroughly!  Im up late tonight working and have a deadline in the morning. But i must say this. It was way harder to take a pain killer this time I had a pain spike. When it was all over my body was so wasted from painkillers I used to throw down like lollies...Then while coming right I literally forgot to take my antidepressants. I found them on the bench this morning. So today has been awful...tearful and unable to write a piece for a paper I report in... I think the whole thing has been a very interesting insight on how my brain is run or affected severely by these drugs. BUT I do have to be patient and Im not very good at that so its hard. So thank you for listening and advising.

• Moderator Emeritus

Take good care of yourself over the next few days Alia - lots of extra love and soothing to get you over the missed doses.

You seem to have a good ability to look at your situation from the outside, which can be really helpful.

Hope you get some good rest soon.

Karen

x

8 month hold.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Alia. Sending healing vibes your way. I read that you've been up working late. I also work, plus I have a couple of side projects, so I know the toll this takes during withdrawal. 

Like Karen said, take good care while your mind / body catches up to those missed doses. 

Alia.  You will get there.  :)    You're doing well , to keep working and you have a great attitude . How is your vision , now ?

Thanks AliG, Shep and KarenB. AliG my vision is good now Im tapering slowly. Since I had to take the stronger painkiller though for two days,  I have felt quite out of sorts and the forgotten dose of anti depressants sure didn't help. I think Im going to have to be much much more careful. The last couple of days have been so full of self loathing thoughts with a side dish of anxiety all topped up with a dose of false chirpiness when I leave the house. Its nauseating really and it is exhausting to be the body that is carrying it all around. I wish I had the courage to really be kind to myself and perhaps lie in the sun with a hot water bottle. Im hoping the depression eases off with a bit more sleep. Last night I couldn't stop sleeping...tonight I can't sleep at all. Think I'll try agin now. Thanks

Alia.    That is good news about your vision.  You do have to be vigilant with your doses.  Can you set an alarm , on your phone , perhaps ?  All those emotions are typical of withdrawal , but not easy to go through . What coping skills and self-care strategies , do you have in place?  I hope that you do find ways to be kind to yourself .  A bit of sun and some walking , is a good place to start ,  but there are many more tools that you can use. You need to build up a veritable " toolbox" , of ideas and strategies, to carry you through this in a positive way .

Have a read of the " Symptoms & self -Care " . There are many great suggestions there. This topic is helpful , also .

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Ali    

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Alia. Sending healing vibes your way. I hope today has been a better day.

The link AliG posted is one of my favorites. Tons of good information. If you can, try to not engage in those "self loathing thoughts". That's just withdrawal talking and it's full of lies, it's not you. 

I had a ton of looping, negative thoughts, but for the most part, they are gone now.  I was also a long time user of these drugs, and all I can tell you is it does get better.  :)

Wow, Shep, I'm so amazed at what you have gotten off of! And I'm so relived to hear that, yes, you got better.

Ali, do be kind to yourself. I have been practicing some very brief guided meditations. Some are about self compassion. Baby steps, but I'm learning. I think it's an important part of healing.

Hugs,

MN

Thanks guys. Ive hit a bit of an anxiety wave. thinks its pain, strong pain killers and then forgetting a dose, so reading anything is a bit hard. All I can say to myself is. "this too shall pass". I didnt realise that I would become so sensitive to everything as I decrease. Sitting in the sun and trying to do some breathing. Will look into everything everyone has written when Im more able to use a computer.  :huh:

Thanks MNgal. You too :)

An update: Lying in bed on a sunny Autumn morning and wishing I had more energy. Because I have chest problems, I had a flu vaccination a couple of days ago to get ready for Winter. I had a break planned for a week....the car was packed and ready to go and yesterday woke up with a fever, achy, flu like symptoms. Felt awful so told my husband to go away without me. A day later, Im feeling a lot better and realising it was quite a severe reaction to the flu vaccination. Im finding that Im becoming more and more sensitive to everything that goes into my body. I feel a bit like someone with chronic fatigue syndrome. Im up and down and often feel like my symptoms are 'ghost like'. They seem so real...achiness that I think must be a flu and yet almost vanish a day later. At the beginning of the week I had severe anxiety (due to a missed A/D dose and painkillers). I was sure that something was really wrong in my life...I even booked in to see a counsellor and began to think that it was something intrinsically wrong with me....that I had intractable severe depression that would never go away. But again, I woke up a few days later and the anxiety feeling had vanished! Nothing else had changed....just my brain adjusting again. So anyway, this morning Im trying to feel grateful. My husband has taken the car and I live rurally so Im isolated, but Im trying to focus on the fact that Im lying in a warm bed...the sun is shining..I have a home and a beautiful little dog. I have this site that I can write down my thoughts on and re- read the helpful links and comments... Thanks guys