SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Alia02: Clomipramine (anafranil)

Alia02

Thanks AliG. I dont feel much joy,  but about to do a major sort out of my life ( diet, work, relationship, internal thought patterns) and am going to the doctor on Wednesday to get a referral for counselling, so that I can get help in prioritising what I need to do and how. I think being on so many meds numbed me to what I need to do. I think I have always been on the depressed side and now I need to work really hard on changing how I go about feeling better. I find the simpler my life is the happier I am and so am working on being a bit firmer in my need to look after myself (if that makes sense). Have just deleted Facebook from my Bookmarks bar and only looking at it occasionally...etc etc. Too much stimulation and campaigns etc that I need to be aware of just are too much for me. So its back to the basics. :) Thanks, AliG

Chronic severe nerve pain and depression since 1984 (due to a motor vehicle accident and spinal injuries)  Due to long tern pain was on Morphine, Neurontin, Codeine, Valium . Off these meds altho occasional codeine.  Since 2002 Serequel for Insomnia. 25mg.  15 yrs on Clomipramine/tri-cyclic a/d.  Aug 2015. 100mg cut to 95mg. Late aug 95-90mg. Sept 1st, 90mg to 85mg. Sept 14.85mg to 80mg. October 1st , 80 to 75mg. Oct 15; 75 to 70.  Nov 1st ; 70mg-65mg.  Nov14: 65 to 60mg. 60mg. December ..break. Jan2016. 60mg to 55mg. Symptoms began: very sleepy, achy, light headed, dizzy, increased pain, numb, depressed..  Jan 30/ 55 to 50mg. Symptoms/ extreme tiredness. blurry vision and inaccurate vision, painful and itchy eyes, depression, insomnia, flu like symptoms. achy/ sweating/ relationship issues. work issues. Feb 10th. Back up to 55mg. Withdrawl symptoms subsided. March 10: 55 to 50mg. withdrawl ok. April 12 Seroquel 21mg May 12 Seroquel 17mg. Nov severe depression went up to 75mg Anti dep.  Jan 2017, diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and prescribed 60mg Epilim. Instant relief. March Doc suggested slow decrease of anti dep so from 75 to 70, March 17, 2017.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alia02

• MNgal1960

• KarenB

• AliG

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so with you on the Facebook thing! Life is much better if I go on no more than once or twice a month! :D   Back to basics sounds like a wonderful plan. :wub:

MN

• Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there Alia - getting the referral for counseling is a really good start.  You have some good instincts - simplifying, saying no more often - and these will make a difference.  I'd like to encourage you that (in my experience) it is very possible to learn other ways to manage depression than drugs.  Take your time, set up a steady foundation of care, and things can start to look so different. 

Karen

x

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks MNgal and KarenB. I agree with all that you say. However, day to day its really hard. Am barely able to function. My goal today was to do my large garden, have a walk and make soup and bread for tea. I went for a walk, made soup and bread and now back to bed. Everything is in slow motion. I can't think straight and Im just aching with tiredness/ depression. Anyway, at least I made the soup. thanks for being there. Got a recommendation for counselling...start next week. I think its really hard for me as I've been on these tablets so long. For all intents and purposes I feel like Im in a major bout of depression. Oh well at least I can cuddle my naughty dog (who sometimes growls at me when I cuddle her)

Chronic severe nerve pain and depression since 1984 (due to a motor vehicle accident and spinal injuries)  Due to long tern pain was on Morphine, Neurontin, Codeine, Valium . Off these meds altho occasional codeine.  Since 2002 Serequel for Insomnia. 25mg.  15 yrs on Clomipramine/tri-cyclic a/d.  Aug 2015. 100mg cut to 95mg. Late aug 95-90mg. Sept 1st, 90mg to 85mg. Sept 14.85mg to 80mg. October 1st , 80 to 75mg. Oct 15; 75 to 70.  Nov 1st ; 70mg-65mg.  Nov14: 65 to 60mg. 60mg. December ..break. Jan2016. 60mg to 55mg. Symptoms began: very sleepy, achy, light headed, dizzy, increased pain, numb, depressed..  Jan 30/ 55 to 50mg. Symptoms/ extreme tiredness. blurry vision and inaccurate vision, painful and itchy eyes, depression, insomnia, flu like symptoms. achy/ sweating/ relationship issues. work issues. Feb 10th. Back up to 55mg. Withdrawl symptoms subsided. March 10: 55 to 50mg. withdrawl ok. April 12 Seroquel 21mg May 12 Seroquel 17mg. Nov severe depression went up to 75mg Anti dep.  Jan 2017, diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and prescribed 60mg Epilim. Instant relief. March Doc suggested slow decrease of anti dep so from 75 to 70, March 17, 2017.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, it is documented that psych meds cause depression.  Cuddling pets is great therapy - I have a dog too, called Phoebe.  Luckily she never seems to tire of cuddles.  Soup and a walk is pretty good really - but it's frustrating eh, always having the struggle.  Today I had a walk with two dear friends in the sun - felt so nice.  Hopefully each day will offer up something pleasant for you.  We've got to the shortest day now - so technically heading out of winter!

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

Thanks KarenB. Yes I am definitely still in withdrawl also so that doesn't help. Am going to the neighbours today for afternoon tea so that will be nice .  :)

Thanks MNgal. Its been rough, I can't lie, but I've had a couple of good days now, so Im hopeful that this change will last a bit longer. I'll take any improvement at this point. Thanks for checking in. I hope you are good also. :)

Decided to slow down a bit and it has helped to reduce symptoms. Think I got ahead of my brain's ability to heal. I think slower and actually having a life is better than rushing to get off. At least that's where I am right now. It's a long road, for sure.

Yes I totally agree. I have realised that a lot of my symptoms are (I think) actually from reducing the anti depressant too fast back in March, rather than the Seroquel (I think) SO I totally agree there is no rush and I am taking it slowly

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hopefully this tags onto my journal...my brain just can't follow instructions Im sorry.

Well I have changed my profile listings to what Im on now. I think its important to update and let you guys know why Im not withdrawing anymore even though I want to.

I had to go back up a bit on my anti depressant last year. Not completely but a bit as my depression was just so bad. Then I held on this for at least 6 months.

I felt no withdrawl symptoms, no windows or waves, just steadily worsening depression which started to destroy all of my life. (lost my job)  I felt different from a lot of people I read about here as I had no windows, no clarity , just kind of ups (as I have all my life) but mainly crushing downs. Many days cleaning my teeth and getting out of bed (stopping sleeping) was my main goal.

SO after seeing another doctor, I have now been diagnosed with Bi Polar 2. In desperation I started taking a Mood Stabiliser and felt better than I have had all my adult life.

So now the  Doctor's plan is after stabilising on this, to slowly wean off the quitiepine and most of the anti depressant but not yet.

It's weird. The last thing I have ever wanted to go on was a mood stabiliser, but I have more clarity and more ability to live (and not sleep) than I have had since I was about 12. I can finally be me and not just a lump of clay with no feeling or sense. 

So I feel like a bit of a failure but thats the way it is...

This is my journery.

I wish you all the best and also look out for those waves and windows.....they never came.

Edited by scallywag
moved from new Intro topic started

• Moderator Emeritus

Alia

I've merged your new topic with your previous/existing introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.

Ways to find your way back to your intro topic:

1. You may way want to follow this topic so that you get notifications when someone posts in your thread.  Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. A dialog box appears:  select one of the notify options, then click follow this topic in the dialog box.

The email notifications will have links to the new post in this thread. All you'll have to do is click the link and log in to the site.

2. Setting this web page as a bookmark or favorite in your browser will help you navigate back to it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome again Alia,

Firstly, don't feel a failure.  You've been dealing with hugely difficult things, and you've gotten yourself to a place where you're feeling better.  I'm really glad to hear that.  Your pathway is yours, and the best person to determine which direction it goes is you. 

Depression is hard.  I had my husband to support me financially so this wasn't an issue for me, but I know there's no way I'd have been able to hang on to a job in either my 20s or 30s. 

I hope you keep on with following your instincts, and also with being gentle with yourself. 

Karen

PS - We're finally having summer here - hope you are enjoying it!

8 month hold.

Hi, Alia. It's good to hear from you again, but I'm sorry things have been so rough for you. You are NOT a failure.  I'm sorry you had to take a detour, but that does not mean you have failed. It is good to hear you have some clarity and ability to live more of the life you want. Perhaps after a period of rest and recovery, you will be able to plan your next steps on the journey.

When I began this journey, I read about getting off psych meds. I think it was in a small book called Harm Reduction Guide to Coming Off Psych Meds. I believe it is free online. One point was that everyone needs to decide for themselves how much and what med to take and not let the doctors do it.  Another point was that some people will come completely off all meds and be happy with that, but others may decide to only come off one med or only reduce their meds, whatever worked best for them. With your clarity of mind, you are in a better position to make those kind of decisions. 

You have been through an exhausting battle and perhaps rest and recuperation is what you need now. It sounds like your doctor is not as clueless as most doctors! Rest, recuperate, stabilize, and then make decisions about slowly reducing the meds that you don't need.

Be gentle. Follow your instincts. All wise words from Karen.

I wish you wisdom and healing and peace.

MN

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks MN and Karen. Sorry for my slow response to your lovely replies. I truly appreciate them, I really do. I've had a bit of another dip (due to physical side effects of my mood stabiliser) But it seems that I am slowly finding my answers. Actually one of the only websites that talks about my new diagnosis ( Bi-Polar 11) refers to THIS website as the best in help and knowledge on how to reduce Anti Depressants safely and effectively. And the new medical consensus seems to be  that actually anti depressants are one of the LEAST effective (and possibly most harmful) drugs for this condition as they can cause a mixed mood state or a worsening of the illness. But as the DR points out on this website, nothing is done in a hurry and its all about stabilising and getting a good diagnosis. Anyway for anyone who is interested here is the link. Its lovely being in touch again. Thanks so much. 

http://psycheducation.org/antidepressants-in-bipolar-disorder-the-controversies/stopping-antidepressants-in-bipolar-disorder/

(((Alia02))) I'm glad you are slowly and carefully figuring out how to make yourself better. That website was interesting and encouraging. I'm so very glad you found it. :)

Big hugs from across the globe!

MN

• 2 weeks later...

My doctor has decided to slowly withdraw some of my anti depressant even though he has recently diagnosed me as Bi Polar 2. So I will change my signature. Going much slower than he suggested so Ill see how it goes now my depression is managed much better on Mood Stabilisers. (See above thread) for link on why Anti depressants are not recommended as first line treatment for Bi Polar 2. But this time, if I get too depressed, Im stopping. Withdrawl symptoms already. Achy, bit anxious, feel like one big cobweb. Sore eyes.

• Moderator Emeritus

nz11 has posted excepts from the book:  The Antidepressant Solution by Glenmullen 2005.

From Chapter 4:

Mania and hypomania are controversial side-effects of antidepressants.

Mania is a severe psychiatric condition consisting of an elevated, or high, mood it can include grandiosity, rapid speech, racing thoughts, irritability, distractibility, agitation, insomnia, reckless behaviour (e.g. buying sprees or sexual indiscretions), delusions, and hallucinations.

Hypomania is a milder version of mania. This relatively new psychiatric diagnosis became officially established only in the mid-1990s. At the time mania was officially renamed bipolar I so that hypomania could be named bipolar II.

Antidepressants can certainly make patients look manic or hypomanic. But the American APA DSM explicitly states that “manic like [or hypomanic –like] episodes that are clearly caused by somatic antidepressant treatment (e.g. medication) should not count toward a diagnosis of bipolar I or bipolar II disorder because these are drug induced states.

But pharmaceutical companies and psychiatrists who are zealous drug proponents have misled countless patients and doctors to believe the antidepressant induced manic -like states indicate the patient has an underlying bipolar illness that was merely brought out or triggered by the drug.

The DSM also states clearly that “no laboratory findings [that is tests] that are diagnostic of a manic episode have been identified.” In other words, there is no blood test, x-ray, brain scan, or any other test to objectively definitively diagnose someone with a bipolar disorder. Instead, bipolar disorder is a diagnosis made on the basis of the patient’s behaviour and mental state.

If a patient who is not on any drugs becomes manic, then one can reasonably conclude that the patient has bipolar disorder. But, if the manic -like state is caused by an antidepressant, this is a drug induced state, which, although it may mimic bipolar disorder is not actually bipolar disorder, as explicitly stated by the DSM, psychiatry’s official diagnostic manual.

In recent years, the pharmaceutical industry has inundated doctors with “educational” material on “bipolar depression,” promoting the idea that depressed patients who became anxious, agitated, and sleepless on antidepressants, are bipolar: bipolar II if the patients ”just” become anxious, agitated and sleepless; Bipolar I if they become paranoid reckless or psychotic.

Bipolar I or bipolar II doesn’t matter, the “treatment” is more drugs, powerful antimanic agents.

Psychiatric diagnosis are subject to manipulation because there are no objective medical tests by which to diagnose any psychiatric condition.

The subjectivity of the psychiatric diagnosis makes them vulnerable to commercial exploitation.

When people take so much cocaine that they have manic -like reactions and end up in the emergency room, they diagnosed with cocaine toxicity.

When people have manic like reactions to steroids, they are diagnosed with steroid toxicity.

Yet when people have the same type of reactions to antidepressants, they are misdiagnosed with so-called “underlying bipolar disorder.” The practice protects antidepressants and promotes antimanic agents, which have become multibillion-dollar a year drugs.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Chessie cat. Thanks for your reply. I will get this book. It is very interesting and I do take your point however also, please refer to the above website http://psycheducation.org/antidepressants-in-bipolar-disorder-the-controversies/stopping-antidepressants-in-bipolar-disorder/that talks about bi polar 2. If you are familiar with this illness you will know that it is mostly about severe suicidal terrible depression with the occasional hypo manic or slightly high phase (often just a nice day) Yes you are right, anti depressants can trigger this high and turn it into full blown mania, which is why they are not recommended for Bi Polar 2.

However I have been severely depressed all my life since I was 5. My Mother is the same as is my whole family, aunties and uncles going back to my poor grandfather who as a headmaster paced the floor all night and banged his head all day against the mirror to try and get relief.

So Im sorry Chessie cat, this is more than just the effects of an anti depressant or drug and not all clinicians in the psychiatric establishment are peddlars for the drug industry. Some want to help what is often a complex situation and I feel so grateful that lately I have found some and can also aim to slowly come off the anti depressants (with the help of this site)  and get out of bed. I really recommend the above website, which also recommends this website in getting off anti depressants. Thankyou.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alia,

Thank you for explaining your situation.  I think you understand that I was concerned that your diagnosis was post drugs and that your doctor might have been going down the wrong path.

My understanding is that being on ADs and also withdrawing from them can sometimes be diagnosed as bipolar, but if a person didn't have it before drugs, it is an inaccurate diagnosis because it is the drugs that have caused bipolar like symptoms.

Good luck.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

4 days into a less than 10% taper with Clomipramine. Doctor suggested to go down to 60mg but down from 75mg to 70. Symptoms..bad sleep anxious dreams. Worse day today which is only 4 days in so I need to be patient. Mainly its the anxiety...al the other symptoms are manageable. Went for walk which seem to help a little.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good to read that you're pacing yourself with the decreases and taking time for some helpful self-care such as a walk.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet