Work, Taking Time off Work, & Disability Benefits

Sunny1008

Hi everyone,

I desperately need advice. I feel I am too ill to work right now. I am about 11 months off a near-cold-turkey withdrawal. My central nervous system is completely fried. I cannot handle even the smallest bit of stress. I can hardly get to the grocery store, let alone work.

What do you do when you are single and can't support yourself? I am 29 years old and currently living with my parents. But they are insisting that I have a full-time job. They do not believe how sick I am. They just think I have an anxiety disorder.

I am really distraught. What do I do???

Zoloft 50mg for 7.5 years

Developed akathisia while on the drug Dec. 2009

Severe withdrawal/damage

Drug-free since May 5, 2011

• Moderator Emeritus

Sunny, I am so sorry that you are having a tough time. I don't have any advice but I wanted to give you a cyberhug. Could you get your parents some of the information about withdrawal? Maybe if they understood the problem/believe the problem exists, they would be more supportive.

1989 - 1992 Parnate* 

1992-1998 Paxil - pooped out*, oxazapam, inderal

1998 - 2005 Celexa - pooped out* klonopin, oxazapam, inderal

*don't remember doses

2005 -2007   Cymbalta 60 mg oxazapam, inderal, klonopin

Started taper in 2007:

CT klonopin, oxazapam, inderal (beta blocker) - 2007

Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007 -2010

July 2010 - March 2018 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms, which abated and finally disappeared. Then I stalled for about 5 years because I didn't want to deal with W/D.

March 2018 - May 2018 switch from 30mg Cymbalta to 20mg Celexa 

19 mg Celexa October 7, 2018

18 mg Celexa November 5, 2018

17 mg Celexa  December 2, 2019

16 mg Celexa January 6, 2018 

15 mg Celexa March 7, 2019

14 mg Celexa April 24, 2019

13 mg Celexa June 28, 2019

12.8 mg Celexa November 10, 2019

12.4 Celexa August 31, 2020

12.2 Celexa December 28, 2020

12 mg Celexa March 2021

11 mg  Celexa February 2023

• Administrator

Sunny -- Many of us find ourselves in this unfortunate situation.

You will have to look into unemployment or disability coverage.

Did you have disability insurance at your last job?

You can apply for Social Security Disability but that will take a couple of years to be processed.

If you go any of these routes, you will have to get a doctor to attest to your disability and fill out the paperwork.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have tried to show my parents the info on withdrawal, but they refuse to believe any of it.

I don't know if I had disability insurance at my last job. I will have to look into it.

Zoloft 50mg for 7.5 years

Developed akathisia while on the drug Dec. 2009

Severe withdrawal/damage

Drug-free since May 5, 2011

This is really terrible Sunny! I had the same issue with my sister but my mother does believe me.

It is very nasty your parents do not believe you. MAybe you can show them the "Withdrawal Protocol" article of dr. David Healy. Unfortunately my experience is that the people who do not want to believe are not vulnerable to any logical arguments. I praise myself lucky to phave financial support now for 3 years and most of my friends believe my story.

Is it possible that you write them a letter? And include some scientific publications?

Hang on and I hope you will find a way...

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

My information may be outdated, but generally the first step at least is to get state disability benefits unless your employer had a separate program that covers you. (Even if they do, such programs usually require that you get any other disability benefits first, such as the state program, and it depends on the program whether they cover anything beyond that over now or, more likely, if your disability extends beyond the period covered by the state program.)

If you haven't already, contact your employer's personnel or human resources department. They can advise you what you may be eligible for.

As Alto said, you'll need to be under the care of a physician who will complete the required paperwork for any benefits you qualify for. It's a good idea to discuss with your doctor that you will be filing for disability benefits, and work with him or her on what specifically prevents you from working your (or in some programs, also any) job. Hopefully your doctor is familiar with what is required to establish disability and the diagnosis codes that will meet their requirements. It might help to read the physician's statement disability requires. Only your doctor can decide what he will put on your form (based on examination and questions he will ask you), but the form will help you get familiar with what the disability program is concerned with (i.e., what functional abilities are impaired and to what degree; they don't care how you're feeling lol).

Be honest, because your medical records have to back up everything and disability programs often require you be examined by their doctors at various times. But it's important you think in terms of establishing what functional abilities are affected to the degree that it prevents you from doing a job, when usually when we see a doctor we're talking in terms of how we feel.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• 4 years later...

I'm curious if any members had any success filing for work disability through an employer or government. If so, any advice/feedback would be appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For related information, also see Working/Getting a Paycheck during w/d

Edited by KarenB
Merged similar topics, changed title & added note

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

For what country?

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

In Australia , you need supporting documents from a doctor/s.   Whoever has been prescribing for you should be able to give a

record of your history back to when you started meds.  There are standard forms here for your doctor to fill in.

I don't believe it matters if they say you have "depression" or "anxiety" or whatever diagnosis they want.  It's not worth arguing about.  

Not sure what sort of advice you're after , is there something specific?

I can say that when you attend an interview , you don't really want to present at your best.  It might be misleading if you come across very well.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

There's a short discussion topic about this in off-topic here: Getting disability/Picking a neuropsychologist for testing

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

For what country?

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

The US.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm finding it really difficult to go to work.  When I do it's my family and home life that suffers during a withdrawal phase because any amount of stress feels overwhelming.  After I've worked all day I can't handle anything else.  This makes me so sad thinking that I'm putting my kids "second".  Yet if I took time off work I wouldn't know how to look at how much time.  Ie. do I arrange to take a few months off and get myself off the remaining Effexor and keep stressors as low as possible during the hardest part? 

Did you/do you take time off work?

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

May 31st took last of prozac. Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.

July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.

Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

I am considering it. My fear, insomnia, anxiety and most importantly, my cognitive challenges for the last month keep me from being able to properly function. I am praying for a miracle for all them to tone down a notch soon or I have to look into disability.

But I too would like to hear too how folks juggled work through this. Maybe I just need to toughen up some.      

My work disability plan has some restrictions. Unfortunately, anxiety that can be treated with meds or therapy is not covered. Now I have to find a Doctor that believes me to diagnose me.

• Moderator Emeritus

You need to use your best judgement Help.    If work is wiping you out , of course it's adding to the stress of managing your home and family.  The more ongoing stress / pressure you have , the slower the healing.

You're in an odd position at the moment because the mess-up with your bridge to prozac.  

If it's possible , I'd try to negotiate 2 months off.  You can probably get a medical certificate to support you.

At the end of that time , reassess.   

You do need to stabilize before further reducing your effexor , and you just can't rush that.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Once I stabilize at 66 beads of Effexor XR and 20 mg Prozac then should I increase prozac so that I reduce effexor?  Or keep prozac at 20 and just try and get rid of the effexor?

Thank you so much for the help.

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

May 31st took last of prozac. Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.

July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.

Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

Hi Help

I totally relate to what you are saying. I too struggle with work. I have to get up at 6 am which is when I seem to be in my most comfortable and relaxed state of sleep. I drag myself out of bed feeling exhausted and some days I want to cry when my alarm goes off. I have a lot of responsibility in my job and could seriously cause harm if my mind is not on the ball. I give all my available attention to my patients but anything not patient related makes leads me to feeling very apathetic.

One of my colleagues causes me quite a lot of grief and  often find it difficult to deal with this person. I come home from work and sit in the chair and nod off. I get angry with myself because I know I should be more active but I dont have the energy.

The only advice I can offer is if you can take some time off then do so but just remember WD can take some time to get through so don't expect to take 2 months off whilst you complete withdrawal and then expect to jump straight back to work as that may not happen. Perhaps you could negotiate less hours/shorter working days or an extra day off a week for a while just to take the pressure off. Your family will understand how you feel right now so don't beat yourself up. Be kind to yourself- you are doing your very best.

Sending hugs

PN x 

1995-1998 various SSRIs then withdrawal

2000 Sertraline

2003 Sertraline then changed to Prozac to attempt withdrawal.

2004 failed at withdrawal so Citalopram.

2010 attempted slow withdrawal over 12 months but failed- sever episode depression 2012

2012 3 days of Mirtazepine with bad reaction so started escitalopram 20mgs

2013 started very very slow taper with a number of slight reinstatements

Currently on between 0.5 and 1mg escitalopram drops at day.

I spoke to both my boss and HR today.  My boss was very concerned and said to take a few weeks off and go on disbaility if needed as my health is very important. It was nice to hear. I have HR ready just in case I have to go on disability. My ex wife wont be happy as its paid in full for 4 months then 60% and her support will reduce. I dont like to do that to her or my sons. My goal is to have some windows in the next 4 months to give work a shot. Right now I have too much fatigue, anxiety and cognitive difficulties to work. I have been like this for 6 weeks. I have been in overall WD for 7 months. Maybe Ill get a break. Not cured but a decent window I can crawl into. 

I feel your struggle. I don't have kids but I'm supporting my disabled room mate that is jobless and won't get disability.

Wait, there is a way to get disability for withdrawal? How?

2001: Started Antidepressants at age 15.

2001-2010: Put on and taken off numerous Antidepressants when they stopped working.

2010: Sertraline 100mg

2012: Sertraline 150mg

2014: Sertraline 200mg

May 2015: Started Tapering off Sertraline, 25% Reduction to 150mg.

June 2015: Continue at 150mg due to withdrawal, no reduction this month.

July 2015: Psychiatrist told me to do alternating day doses of 150mg and 200mg.

Tried one week with horrible results and went back to 150mg.

Mid-July 2015: I decided the alternate doses and 150mg were not working so I used a pill cutter for an even 175mg

August 2015: Psychiatrist told me to stay on 175mg for another month.

September 2015: Back to 150mg and tried new doctor. She told me to try Sam-e, taking 200mg daily. 

My doctors put it in the category of anxiety. If you have work disability you have to determine if anxiety is covered. Some insurance companies dont. There seems to be a loophole that I am covered as long as I am following a treatment plan of my doctor. That scares me as if the doctor thinks Im non compliant with suggestions of drug increases or changes they might pull it. That means I might have to go down that path. I am finding out more soon.     

Ok, that is what I thought, that it would have to be under some other mental health condition rather than "SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome". Thanks I will look into it.

2001: Started Antidepressants at age 15.

2001-2010: Put on and taken off numerous Antidepressants when they stopped working.

2010: Sertraline 100mg

2012: Sertraline 150mg

2014: Sertraline 200mg

May 2015: Started Tapering off Sertraline, 25% Reduction to 150mg.

June 2015: Continue at 150mg due to withdrawal, no reduction this month.

July 2015: Psychiatrist told me to do alternating day doses of 150mg and 200mg.

Tried one week with horrible results and went back to 150mg.

Mid-July 2015: I decided the alternate doses and 150mg were not working so I used a pill cutter for an even 175mg

August 2015: Psychiatrist told me to stay on 175mg for another month.

September 2015: Back to 150mg and tried new doctor. She told me to try Sam-e, taking 200mg daily. 

• Altostrata changed the title to Work, Taking Time off Work, & Disability Benefits
  • 2 years later...

I thought people would like to know that last year the US Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) updated it's ratings schedule for mental health conditions. At some point so did the US Social Security Administration (SSA). There used to be a statement in the VA rating that said 'and requires ongoing medication'. That statement has been changed to 'OR symptoms controlled by continuous medication' and the focus is now on patient functionality. SSA has been revised to instead require 'ongoing medical treatment or psychotherapy or psychosocial support' which greatly expands treatment options for those who are struggling and no longer specifically requires medication. This also means that those in the USA who are on VA benefits or SSA benefits no longer have to worry about being cut off just because they are stopping their medication. Seems like someone somewhere finally gets that medications may in fact not be the answer for everyone. To me this seems to be progress in the right direction. Change is happening 😁

Here are links to the department of veterans affairs and the federal register with all of the details for those who may need them.

Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Social Security

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy