SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Jose55

jose55

Hi,

I know this is about antidepressants but I see a few post about Benzos so I decided to ask the question here.

I have been on Diazepam for about 6 month- 5mg twice daily. Before that another 6 month on Xanax 0.5mg once daily and then twice daily and Before that 9 months on 15 Antidepressants which did nothing for me.

Now my Doc is pretty much happy with the results but he prefers if I stay on Diazepam until I'm clear from the pressure I feel on my chest which all my Doctos agree is Gastritis/Reflux (mild)  I did have other problems like being dizzy on a daily basis but that is gone and has been for a few months (I guess biofeedback did help)

Right now my Doc gave me the green light to lower the dose and even skip days and he even said at my low dose which is now 2.5mg once daily and 5mg once daily.  ( I take turns and sometimes take 5 morning and 2,5 at night.) I can stop without problems.  I told him I prefer to lower the dose and take it step by step which he agreed. 

So my question is this-at 2.5mg once daily and 5mg once daily.  What would be the correct dose to take next and for how long?  I believe I read 2-3 weeks.  But based on how these pills come I can only divide them on 2.5mg.  So I guess my next step is to lower this dose to 2,5 twice daily in about 2 weeks? and then once daily to 2.5mg for 3 weeks and then stop?  What is your suggestion?  I know they have 2mg, which is an option when I get to 2.5mg ask the Doc to change dose so I can then take that one 2-3 weeks and finally half of that another 2--3 weeks?

Any suggestion is appreciated. ;-)  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jose , welcome to the site.   This site is to help people get off antidepressants safely , but the

same principles apply to benzos.  You'll find heaps of information that will be useful.

The rate you can taper at will depend on how your body responds , not on the calendar you set out.  

Planning to decrease by 1/3 at a time is big jumps , and may well be too much.

You could start by taking 2.5mg twice a day and see how that goes.  

It's possible to make any dose you want , even 1/4 mg if you dissolve tablets in water and draw solution up in a syringe , see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

I think the idea of dropping such big amounts every 2-3 weeks may prove too much of an assault on your senses , but you may do just fine.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi,

Thank you Fresh for your quick reply.   I will ask my Psychiatrist to get me the 2MG which I will divide in 4 and 2, 5 and 2 or 3 and 3 depending on what my body tells me is the best at that time.  Going to 5-2 or 4-2 does look like the next step to take in 2-3 weeks but for sure I'm not in a rush so I will take all the time that is needed to feel safe going down- 

Muchas Gracias,

Jose

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Jose,

I'm glad you found us before beginning your taper off Diazepam. As Fresh wrote, what you are planning may be too fast. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The principles of tapering off benzos are the same as antidepressants, but there are a few differences. We have a forum specifically for information and support with benzo tapering, you may wish to start a topic there for yourself:  Members-only benzo forum   There is also information there specific to benzo tapering.

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes