SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Kiki2015: tapering Abilify

kiki2015

7 hours ago, kiki2015 said:

Is it possible to still lead a normal life even when someone is withdrawing? By that I mean is it possible to work, study or enjoy life as much as possible within one's circumstances?

Yes Kiki I did it, withdrawing very slowly for 7 years, from 20 mg citalopram which was taken on/off for 18 years. 

Best of luck and happy 2018!

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiki2015

• Rosetta

• Altostrata

• nz11

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiki,

I'm new, and I don't know a lot about these subjects.  All I have to offer are my own experiences.  I write to you because we both have dystonia in the same place.  My throat is rarely affected, but when it is it is very nerve wracking.  I sympathize with you greatly.

I have no way of knowing what would have happened if I had tapered properly, but I was in withdrawal, to some extent, I believe, from May 2011 when my medication was changed with no cross taper.  However - and This Is My Point -- my dystonia got much worse 6 months after I stopped all medication in Feb 2017 with a fast taper.  It continued to get worse and worse until recently.  At this time it is probably resolving very, very slowly, but it was at its worst a week ago.  For this reason, I feel you should seriously consider a slow taper.

I have had horrendous mental withdrawal symptoms - DP, DR, terror, outsized anger, inability to think, fear of food (and also an anorexia type lack of appetite), fear of being alone, fear of others, and the list goes on.  For months I couldn't drive or go anywhere alone - not even for a walk! I had none of these symptoms while I was on Zoloft from 2011 to 2017.  I suspect that I would not have experienced these if I had tapered slowly.  I marvel at Brass Monkey.  He worked and earned retirement DURING withdrawal!

Could it be worth a try to do a slow taper and see if the dystonia gets better?  I understand that it's possible for there to be improvement with lower doses. I cannot imagine how I would have coped if I had severe dystonia at the same time I had DP or DR.  I would hate for you to risk that if you could avoid it. It was hard enough as it was for me to resist going back to the psychiatrist for a solution that would have only prolonged my recovery.

Yours,

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Great post Rosetta. Thanks for sharing. 

Yep we all marvel at BM 

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Administrator

Kiki, quite obviously the ways you have tried to go off drugs have not worked. Your body told you this quite clearly. No matter what anybody says, you should not taper faster than your body is comfortable (unless you are having a life-threatening adverse reaction).

If you read Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify) , you will have the knowledge you need to go off aripiprazole. The rest is up to you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 25/12/2017 at 10:25 AM, kiki2015 said:

Hi unfoldingsky, I'm wanting to withdraw but doctors don't let me. They see me as a patient with a chronic mental  illness and I presume think I'm now stable. I have always tried to dispute my diagnosis as it has been done unfairly. 

I've had to diagnose myself with tardive dystonia, but I am told ' oh, you look well to me. I can't see any problems with dystonia.'  The denial is incredible. I have dystonia across my neck, jaw, throat. My larynx sometimes feels like its tightening and I felt as if I was being strangled. My former GP didn't look into it properly at all. It also affects my temples. 

Hi kiki,

I understand what you mean about the denial. I saw a doctor write down that I had tardive dyskinesia, but would not admit it to my face.  I had a friend who had it too, he regularly encountered denial including doctors trying to lead him to believe his real issue was a genetic movement disorder not caused by pills that no one in the family ever had any evidence of having.  Some docs admitted he had it but refused to write it in his notes because they worried about lawsuits. So you are far from alone in this, it's probably quite common actually.  It's awful.

I hope in spite of all that's going on you were able to have a good holiday.  And may the new year bring you lots of recovery.

Take care,

US

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

On 31/12/2017 at 10:57 PM, Rosetta said:

Kiki,

I have found relief from dystonia by using adhesive heat patches through the night.  In the US they are called ThermaCare Heatwraps.  They are one time use and have patented iron that heats up on contact with air.  Sometimes I use 2 or 3 of them at once - one on my neck, one on my forehead and one on my forearm.  I wake up without a headache or at least with a mild headache when I use them.  In the day I use a microwaveable heat wrap.  (I bought an electric heat wrap, but the off gassing of the plastic was more than I could take.). 

Wishing you some relief and rest,

Rosetta

Rosetta, many thanks for posting this tip.  I am sure many members here can benefit from it, good to know you have had relief too, sounds like you've had a hard go of the pills.

Warm wishes,

US

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

On 01/01/2018 at 5:10 PM, Rosetta said:

Kiki,

I'm new, and I don't know a lot about these subjects.  All I have to offer are my own experiences.  I write to you because we both have dystonia in the same place.  My throat is rarely affected, but when it is it is very nerve wracking.  I sympathize with you greatly.

I have no way of knowing what would have happened if I had tapered properly, but I was in withdrawal, to some extent, I believe, from May 2011 when my medication was changed with no cross taper.  However - and This Is My Point -- my dystonia got much worse 6 months after I stopped all medication in Feb 2017 with a fast taper.  It continued to get worse and worse until recently.  At this time it is probably resolving very, very slowly, but it was at its worst a week ago.  For this reason, I feel you should seriously consider a slow taper.

I have had horrendous mental withdrawal symptoms - DP, DR, terror, outsized anger, inability to think, fear of food (and also an anorexia type lack of appetite), fear of being alone, fear of others, and the list goes on.  For months I couldn't drive or go anywhere alone - not even for a walk! I had none of these symptoms while I was on Zoloft from 2011 to 2017.  I suspect that I would not have experienced these if I had tapered slowly.  I marvel at Brass Monkey.  He worked and earned retirement DURING withdrawal!

Could it be worth a try to do a slow taper and see if the dystonia gets better?  I understand that it's possible for there to be improvement with lower doses. I cannot imagine how I would have coped if I had severe dystonia at the same time I had DP or DR.  I would hate for you to risk that if you could avoid it. It was hard enough as it was for me to resist going back to the psychiatrist for a solution that would have only prolonged my recovery.

Yours,

Rosetta

Thank you Rosetta. I can see how awful it has been for you. I can't imagine what it must feel like. I will have a slow taper but it's apparently never easy to see how I will react after I have stopped completely even if I did taper really slowly over a couple of years. 

Medication history:

2002-2004 olanzapine, 2.5

2003-2004- 10 olanzapine,

~2005-2007 quetiapine, 300mg

2006- zopiclone, 2 weeks, 2007 - 2013= abilify,

2013-2016- tapering abilify :blink:  

On 02/01/2018 at 5:29 AM, UnfoldingSky said:

Hi kiki,

I understand what you mean about the denial. I saw a doctor write down that I had tardive dyskinesia, but would not admit it to my face.  I had a friend who had it too, he regularly encountered denial including doctors trying to lead him to believe his real issue was a genetic movement disorder not caused by pills that no one in the family ever had any evidence of having.  Some docs admitted he had it but refused to write it in his notes because they worried about lawsuits. So you are far from alone in this, it's probably quite common actually.  It's awful.

I hope in spite of all that's going on you were able to have a good holiday.  And may the new year bring you lots of recovery.

Take care,

US

Hi us, my concern is if it becomes permanent. I tend to have a dry mouth as well. Did your dystonia disappear or improve. My Christmas was affected. My psychological problems and psychiatric meds disabilities have affected every aspect of my life. No matter how hard I try I can't relax or have any peace. 

Medication history:

Kiki

Please believe the dystonia will go away.  I do not accept the "opinions" that it is permanent.  There is no research into adverse reactions to drugs - at least none with any long term follow up.  The only research done these days is research that is likely to lead to more $$$$ for the oligarchs.  No one will ever do research into whether dystonia resolves on its own after a taper or a cessation of all assaults on the brain and CNS.  That research will never ever happen.  

All the other side effects from ADs and WD symptoms come and go, lessen in severity, and sometimes eventually disappear never to come again -- for a lot of people.  It's the people who are given more drugs who don't get well.  There's absolutely no reason to think your problem will not lessen or cease.  None at all.  You will never see a doctor who knows about research lab which studies people who take no drugs and get better will you?  There's no money for that.

My DP, DR and SI is gone.  I am not afraid it will return for more than a few hours at most.  I really truly believe it will never return. If those life threatening symptoms can clear so can dyskinesia and dystonia.

Btw, I did weight lifting exercises to work the muscles that are tense last night.  If I can keep doing that,  I'll let you know if it helps.  From heat patches through the night, I work up with very little dystonia.  It's back from reading and writing, of course.  I wish I control that compulsion and begin to quiet my brain so that I could stop using the muscles affected.

all my best

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

11 hours ago, Rosetta said:

Kiki

Please believe the dystonia will go away.  I do not accept the "opinions" that it is permanent.  There is no research into adverse reactions to drugs - at least none with any long term follow up.  The only research done these days is research that is likely to lead to more $$$$ for the oligarchs.  No one will ever do research into whether dystonia resolves on its own after a taper or a cessation of all assaults on the brain and CNS.  That research will never ever happen.  

All the other side effects from ADs and WD symptoms come and go, lessen in severity, and sometimes eventually disappear never to come again -- for a lot of people.  It's the people who are given more drugs who don't get well.  There's absolutely no reason to think your problem will not lessen or cease.  None at all.  You will never see a doctor who knows about research lab which studies people who take no drugs and get better will you?  There's no money for that.

My DP, DR and SI is gone.  I am not afraid it will return for more than a few hours at most.  I really truly believe it will never return. If those life threatening symptoms can clear so can dyskinesia and dystonia.

Btw, I did weight lifting exercises to work the muscles that are tense last night.  If I can keep doing that,  I'll let you know if it helps.  From heat patches through the night, I work up with very little dystonia.  It's back from reading and writing, of course.  I wish I control that compulsion and begin to quiet my brain so that I could stop using the muscles affected.

all my best

Rosetta

Dear Rosetta,

Thanks for your email. It's a tricky situation. However I just wanted to share this with you. I experienced severe memory problems a few days back. I woke up in the morning and didn't know where I was, I couldn't recognize familiar faces, I felt cold all over and was almost sleepwalking. I haven't been withdrawing. I don't know what this could be. Do the meds make you feel like this even though you are supposedly stable. I felt like that almost every day when withdrawing from ability. I'm soon 34 years old and it's making me depressed. I've hardly had any work experience. I have a bachelors but graduated 5 years ago. Every job I started even before I went to uni. was terminated. I lasted only a few months, weeks or days. My parents have health problems. I can't rely on them for support anymore really even though they have the best will in the world. They're are also in their late 60s and fragile. Withdrawal will be a mammoth task for me. I wish I could started withdrawing tomorrow but nobody will help me. I also need the smaller doses to be prescribed to me by doctors. 

Medication history:

Kiki,

I see.  Your signature says you were tapering until 2016, but now you are holding due to lack of cooperation from your doctors.  

I know nothing about your diagnosis or meds, of course.  The disorientation you felt a few days ago could be something important.  It could be a side effect of Abilify, but it could be something else.  I'm sorry you are scared, Kiki.  I know the feeling.

I thought you were in withdrawal -- for the same reasons I was in withdrawal from 2011-2017 - due to a change or cessation of medication.  I took Zoloft 2011-2017, but I experienced all the symptoms of withdrawal that it did not cover up.  Most notably I had declining cog function, but I couldnt see it.  I didn't know or accept it then.  I didn't suspect it until 2015, and I didn't believe it until 2016.  I know Celexa caused it before 2011 and that switching to Zoloft made it worse.

(Did you make a typo in the year when you wrote that you stopped meds from Jan-April 2017 and were put on Abilify in Nov 2017????. * You noted that in your answer to nz11 on Dec 31st, but it's not clear in your drug signature.  Did you mean 2007?  I have been under the impression that you are NOT stable now because of the discontinuation in Jan of 2017, and Reinstatment in April 2017.  I wonder if everyone else may be, too.)

I presume that any taper from 2013-2016 was not a slow taper?  Were there several fast tapers that were abandoned during those years?  You believe you felt "stable" all through 2013-2016 and all of 2017 except for dystonia, correct? (The mods need to know this I think.)

Your disorientation a few days ago -- sleepwalking, inability to recognize your bedroom and familiar faces, and feeling cold -- write that down.  Keep that in your journal and continue to document it when it happens.  

What you need is an advocate to document this dystonia problem.  You need a second opinion, too.  But you also need to avoid being suddenly taken off Abilify and put on something else because of the disorientation.  My hope is that you will be allowed to taper at 10%, not switch drugs suddenly.  

I see your frustration very clearly now.  You think you are suffering harm that may become permanent, and the doctor won't listen because he dismisses you as "crazy."  Yes, it's tricky.  This "arrogant Doctor ignores the patient" must happen frequently when these drugs cause only physical ailments.

Kiki, I wish I was in a position to help. I understand more than you know about degrees and jobs and wasted years.  I have a degree, but my brain is mush, my emotions are utterly unpredictable, and I wouldn't last a week trying to work.  Maybe I'm lucky that I can't or I would think I had to.  

Never, ever forget that none of your health problems are your fault, Kiki.  The fact that you must find a way to fix them yourself doesn't mean you are not deserving of assistance.  Find someone who advocates for the disabled and get that person to find a health advocate for you.

(I have to take a break from SA.  It's my new obsession.  I can't control it, and I must limit my time here. I was afraid that if I joined it would happen this way.   I have to take better care of myself.  I'll be back to see how you are doing one of these days.)

Peace,

Rosetta

I thought you were in withdrawal -- for the same reasons I was in withdrawal from 2011-2017 - due to a change or cessation of medication.  I took Zoloft 2011-2017, but I experienced all the symptoms of withdrawal that it did not cover up.  Most notably I had declining cog function, but I couldnt see it.  I didn't know or accept it then.  I didn't suspect it until 2015, and I didn't believe it until 2016.  I know Celexa caused it before 2011 and that switching to Zoloft made it worse.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

On 03/01/2018 at 3:14 PM, kiki2015 said:

Hi us, my concern is if it becomes permanent. I tend to have a dry mouth as well. Did your dystonia disappear or improve. My Christmas was affected. My psychological problems and psychiatric meds disabilities have affected every aspect of my life. No matter how hard I try I can't relax or have any peace. 

Yes the TD went away.  I understand what you mean about it impacting every aspect of life, my situation was the same way.  I have a few residual issues from the pills--some memory loss, fatigue, overall cog issues.  But am so much better than I was. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to kiki2015: Lost and upset

Hi us, I spoke to my psychiatrist. She wants to cross taper me from 50mg amisulpride morning and 5mg abilify and 100mg amisulpride at night to just 5mg ability in morning and then 100mg amisulpride to 50mg amisulpride then increasing ability to 10 mg then 15 mg and then decrease 50mg to 0mg. Obviously I don't want to increase abilify anymore as my aim is to come off everything. I don't sleep as much as before but I've felt my cns become weaker. I can't seem to persuade them that I want to come off completely. I've got an advocate but there is only so much she can do. I don't want to get stuck again.. I am finding myself in another trap. 

Medication history:

How are you doing, Kiki?

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/01/2018 at 9:07 PM, Rosetta said:

How are you doing, Kiki?

Hello Rosetta, I ve been cross tapering the amisulpride to the abilify. I don't feel so drowsy all the time and my muscles don't feel stiff either. I feel slightly better but have no cooperation from doctors if I want to come off completely. Ability is one of those medications which doesn't produce 'side effects' which you can see so I feel in a worse position as now I will not be believed. I feel that by going on abilify I have not progressed. I feel abilify is a silent thief for the reason that effects are not obvious so no-one will understand how I feel. As we all know if, and I will, experience cog. decline, dystonia, anger, psychosis, and many other problems when I withdraw they, the doctors will always blame it on the ' 'illness.' I get my strength and help from these forums. They keep me going. I'm in the UK. I have been experiencing problems with my dystonia but it's almost gone as we all know increasing the dose masks the underlying problem. It has also given me elevated mood but it's artificial. I feel very misunderstood. How are you?

Medication history:

8 hours ago, kiki2015 said:

Hello Rosetta, I ve been cross tapering the amisulpride to the abilify.

Kiki,

I'm glad the dystonia isn't as bad. That's really wonderful!  Mine is getting better.  It really is.  I'm so relieved.

I don't like the fact that your doctor doesn't care about the side effects, but I've heard other people say that is the case.  I hope that you will be able to take the prescription you are given and taper it with the help of the forum.  If you go very slow perhaps it won't be too hard.  

What are your doses now of amisulpride and Abilify?

Rosetta

PS.  There is a woodpecker on my house trying to make hole in the roof.  Trees galore here, and he chooses my house!

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Well I may not feel the dystonia but the medications might not be doing anything for me at the moment which is good. Peter breggin has written extensively about antipsychotics masking the problems of dystonia saying that they become apparent what the person tries to reduce their medication. It does worry me especially as abilify is used for tourettes so it must be a very powerful medication.

Medication history:

3 hours ago, Rosetta said:
12 hours ago, kiki2015 said:

Kiki,

I'm glad the dystonia isn't as bad. That's really wonderful!  Mine is getting better.  It really is.  I'm so relieved.

I don't like the fact that your doctor doesn't care about the side effects, but I've heard other people say that is the case.  I hope that you will be able to take the prescription you are given and taper it with the help of the forum.  If you go very slow perhaps it won't be too hard.  

What are your doses now of amisulpride and Abilify

I'm taking 50mg of amisulpride at night and 10 ability in the morning. It used to be 5mg in the morning. They want to increase abilify by double now. 

Medication history:

16 hours ago, kiki2015 said:

I don't know anything about antipsychotics.  So, please ask a Mod if what I am thinking is correct.  My own experience with ADs makes me distrustful of any of the psych drugs.  It seems to me that the population of people who are deemed to need psych drugs of any kind are treated with such disrespect and inhuman contempt that I wonder whether the people who make and test these drugs really care what harm the drugs do in relation to any good they do.  

So, I don't want to tell you that you should not take the double dose of Abilify because you will have to live with the consequence if you don't.  I will not be the one who suffers if that is the wrong decision.  However, I would do a lot of research first about what you might do differently.  

I think I might want to tell the dr whatever I had to in order to make sure that my supply of amulsupride is not decreased.  It would need to stay high enough for me to taper very, very slowly.  If that meant that he would not give me another 5 mg of Abilify then that might be ok.  (Also, if he gives you more Abilify anyway, it might be unsafe to take another 5 mg of Abilify with your current dose of amulsipride?  You need to know the answer to that question.  Have you checked it in the system SA recommends?) I, personally, would be more afraid of tapering amulsulsipride too fast and becoming psychotic from that alone.  You might be hospitalized if your dr makes you taper it too quickly and you become psychotic.  Then, you might be given other drugs or a higher dose.  That could cause a kindling effect.  Do you understand that concept?

The number one thing is to stay out of the hospital so that you and only you controls what goes into your body and when.  Second, but equally important, is to have enough of the amulsipride to taper super slowly.  From there you can decide what you think is the safest course of action for you.  I wish we could rely on our doctors to keep us safe.  That hasn't been my experience.

Peace,

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

On 31/01/2018 at 4:22 AM, Rosetta said:

I don't know anything about antipsychotics.  So, please ask a Mod if what I am thinking is correct.  My own experience with ADs makes me distrustful of any of the psych drugs.  It seems to me that the population of people who are deemed to need psych drugs of any kind are treated with such disrespect and inhuman contempt that I wonder whether the people who make and test these drugs really care what harm the drugs do in relation to any good they do.  

So, I don't want to tell you that you should not take the double dose of Abilify because you will have to live with the consequence if you don't.  I will not be the one who suffers if that is the wrong decision.  However, I would do a lot of research first about what you might do differently.  

I think I might want to tell the dr whatever I had to in order to make sure that my supply of amulsupride is not decreased.  It would need to stay high enough for me to taper very, very slowly.  If that meant that he would not give me another 5 mg of Abilify then that might be ok.  (Also, if he gives you more Abilify anyway, it might be unsafe to take another 5 mg of Abilify with your current dose of amulsipride?  You need to know the answer to that question.  Have you checked it in the system SA recommends?) I, personally, would be more afraid of tapering amulsulsipride too fast and becoming psychotic from that alone.  You might be hospitalized if your dr makes you taper it too quickly and you become psychotic.  Then, you might be given other drugs or a higher dose.  That could cause a kindling effect.  Do you understand that concept?

The number one thing is to stay out of the hospital so that you and only you controls what goes into your body and when.  Second, but equally important, is to have enough of the amulsipride to taper super slowly.  From there you can decide what you think is the safest course of action for you.  I wish we could rely on our doctors to keep us safe.  That hasn't been my experience.

Peace,

Rosetta

Hi Rosetta, I'm very close to giving up and just accepting everything. I have lost my ability to learn information or pick new ideas up. That affects me wanting to RE educate myself. I have developed dystonia which no one has ever acknowledged or done indepth assessment on. I feel so angry and debilitated by the denial. I also have no one to lean on. The only consolation I have are these forums. What do I do?

Kiki

Medication history:

I am so sorry, Kiki.  I don't feel qualified to help you.  By "accepting everything" do you mean taking more medication?  Do you mean going to the psychiatrist or to the hospital?  

On January 12, 2018 at 2:32 PM, kiki2015 said:

Hi us, I spoke to my psychiatrist. She wants to cross taper me from 50mg amisulpride morning and 5mg abilify and 100mg amisulpride at night to just 5mg ability in morning and then 100mg amisulpride to 50mg amisulpride then increasing ability to 10 mg then 15 mg and then decrease 50mg to 0mg. Obviously I don't want to increase abilify anymore as my aim is to come off everything. I don't sleep as much as before but I've felt my cns become weaker. I can't seem to persuade them that I want to come off completely. I've got an advocate but there is only so much she can do. I don't want to get stuck again.. I am finding myself in another trap. 

I respect your feelings about wishing to get off these medications.  Is it possible for you to see a neurologist?  Maybe you could talk with that person about the dystonia issue?  

I can't tell you what to do, but I feel that given the distress you are in making major changes to your medication might be likely to make your situation worse.  I am sure your doctors think that the changes will help you.  My experience with Celexa and Zoloft makes me fear that increasing the Abilify by double and dropping the amisulpride by more than the SA site recommends would be a grave mistake.  How these drugs are similar to yours I don't know.  How they are different I don't know.  I don't even know what amisulpride does.  I really hope a Mod will take a look and give you some advice.

On January 1, 2018 at 1:44 PM, Altostrata said:

Kiki, quite obviously the ways you have tried to go off drugs have not worked. Your body told you this quite clearly. No matter what anybody says, you should not taper faster than your body is comfortable (unless you are having a life-threatening adverse reaction).

If you read Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify) , you will have the knowledge you need to go off aripiprazole. The rest is up to you.

Meanwhile, please know that you are not alone.  -- Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Thanks Rosetta for your kind words. I have seen a neurologist. He gave me some blood tests to check it wasn't hormonal. Everything fine in that respect. My periods have stopped. I haven't had them for a year. I'm worried though. I just hope when my menstrual cycle comes back with abilify that I will be normal again and have another chance to come off medication. I will need input from psychiatry this time. I can't do it on my own. 

Medication history:

I understand.   I hope that when you stabilize you will feel that you can research what the psychiatrist tells you before you implement it.  That is troubling that your cycle stopped.  Did you lose a lot of weight?  I lost so much weight when I stopped Zoloft.

I'll be thinking of you. 

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

2 hours ago, Rosetta said:

I understand.   I hope that when you stabilize you will feel that you can research what the psychiatrist tells you before you implement it.  That is troubling that your cycle stopped.  Did you lose a lot of weight?  I lost so much weight when I stopped Zoloft.

I'll be thinking of you. 

Hi Rosetta,

No I've put on weight. I put on 12 kilos in 4 months. Anti psychotics sedate you and can cause obesity and diabetes. Anti depressants act differently. I've heard Zoloft is one of the worst. Well done for coming off it completely. I would do anything to come off abilify if I knew how properly. Anti psychotics are known as chemical lobotomies and affect the brain and cause brain shrinkage. Problem is if I came off them I might come to the realisation of how damaged I have become. However I can't function without them as they help me cope a little better despite suffering td. I'm stuck and damned whether I take them or not. It's difficult. 

Medication history:

Yes, it is difficult.  Ah, yes, I somehow survived my very uninformed "taper" of Zoloft.  

Did is you say you were misdiagnosed years ago?

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Possibly. However the diagnosis isn't the problem for me. It's the treatment or lack of proper input. I don't fear a diagnosis. I fear the ignorance, the lack of information, the brainwashing and manipulative way they behave. 

I think if I was to fear the diagnosis and say that 'oh that's not my diagnosis, ' then well I would have created stigma for myself. 

Medication history:

I've heard anti psychotics are like lobotomies but chemical ones. 

Medication history:

I know WD felt like a lobotomy.  They don't always know what they are doing, the doctors.  I really hope you have one that does, Kiki or at least one that does you no harm. -- Rosetta 

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Dear Rosetta, 

I'm in London in the UK. I've had experiences where there was no doubt in my mind that they knew they were causing me harm. It was intentional. This was over 10 years ago. I was very Ill and helpless. My medical records proved this. However after reading them and getting upset I threw them away in anger. I then realised what I had done and asked them to be sent to me. Guess what. They had changed everything and made it look as if I was deluded when I complained about them. I've had no leg to stand on since then. I've had to take meds because I was ill and as a support. It's a little complicated. 

Medication history:

I am so sorry, Kiki.   That is awful.  It can happen to anyone.  I certainly hope everything changes someday soon.

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

On 14/02/2018 at 12:10 AM, Rosetta said:

I am so sorry, Kiki.   That is awful.  It can happen to anyone.  I certainly hope everything changes someday soon.

Hi Rosetta,

When I came off medication, I experienced many problems people can describe from having ect. Is it possible that I might have brain damage. 

Medication history:

Nothing that cannot be fixed by your own healing process, Kiki.  I don't know which symptoms you were having.  I don't know much about etc, but you didn't have etc, right?

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

I didn't have ect but I've read the memory loss is permanent. It is probably the same with anti psychotics. But no one admits it. No psychiatrists do. Well very few do. I have had a pulling sensation on my neck, jaw and tightening of my throat. It feels like I'm being strangled. Also feel severe memory loss has occurred. The dystonia is still there. I'm just exhausted with complaining. 

Medication history:

I don't know where to start other than I could have worse tardive dystonia than I am actually feeling. I haven't stopped mentioning it to GPs , psychiatrists. I told the care Co ordinator. He told me I had a severe and enduring mental illness so I have to keep taking medication despite this being the problem. He gets some satisfaction from saying this. I can tell. He's said 'oh no you don't look like you have tardive dystonia.' This has made me very angry.  

Medication history:

I understand how angry you feel.  I feel it, too.  I know that some doctors feel so much satisfaction from "helping people" that they don't realize when they should take a step back and see that they could be doing harm.  I also understand the feeling of being tired.  I am so unbelievably tired.  This entire experience has taken its toll.  All I can do is keep going, and that's all you can do, as well.  If I could make your doctors listen to your dystonia complaint I would, but you must demand, in writing, that you see a neurologist to have tests or examinations, Kiki.  You have a right to adequate health care and that includes side effect investigation and amelioration.  Ask for this in writing.  What about your health care advocate?  Can she help you write a request?

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

10 hours ago, kiki2015 said:

I have had a pulling sensation on my neck, jaw and tightening of my throat. It feels like I'm being strangled. Also feel severe memory loss has occurred. The dystonia is still there. I'm just exhausted with complaining. 

Kiki,

What you have written is exactly i feel.. 

My necknis pulled with throat feels like strangled.. its like sitff everywhere  and I feel hell tired .. 

Memory is gone .. like my personality i gone.

Sometimes when I try to remember my past , it doesnt give any feeling of myself. It hurts bcoz i knw its mine... and still feels like others memory.

Ssris and Aps and snri and then mood  stabilizers .. idiots have ruined me.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda