SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

JeanBean: Tapering off Prozac

JeanBean

I am really struggling with this tapering off stuff. I am so glad I found the website. It has already helped me to know that I am not alone. My dr. told me to go ahead and just stop taking Prozac. That scared me so I started looking to see what others have done or are doing to help with the withdrawal process. 

JeanBean

1999 Started this long process with 20 mg Paxil. 4 months later switched to 20 mg Celexa. 2003 cut to 10mg Celexa. Jump to December 2012 decided to taper off with help from doctor. May 2013 caught CDIFF. Put on Flagil (sp) an antibiotic, it caused me to have feelings of hopelessness and that I was going to die either from the CDIFF or the medication I was on. June 2013 started Prozac taper up to 40 mg a day. January 2014 started taper to 20 mg a day. January 2015 taper to 10mg a day. January 2016 started tapering off 10 mg every other day. Really struggling with this last taper. Now I am taking 5mg a day after reading info on here!

February 6, 2016 started an up dose to 8 mg. feeling lots better.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's good to have you here Jeanbean,

The last phase of tapering is difficult for many people so don't feel alone in that.  It is possible to do, it just requires patience and care.  If you are finding it difficult, you will probably want to taper by smaller amounts, and have longer holds between reductions.

You've probably already had a good look around, but here are the links that you may find most useful right now:

Why Taper by 10% of my dosage

Tips for Tapering Prozac

What amounts have you been tapering by so far and what amount are you currently on?  If you've been going a bit fast it will pay to have a hold before you taper any further.  Thanks for making a signature - it would be helpful to add into it how you've tapered recently. 

Many people find magnesium and fish oil helpful during w/d, and you'll find lots of other self-care ideas in the Symptoms forum. 

Have a read of those links and then come back to this thread to ask any questions.  Welcome to s/a :)

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

JeanBean,

KarenB has given you some good reading materials. If you are looking for input, it would help to know HOW you are tapering from 10mg, i.e. at what rate, etc?

Your signature says you started a taper from 10mg in Jan, 2016 meaning that you just started.  Are you looking for input into how best to do it?  If you let us know what you are seeking we can provide help.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thank you KarenB for the info. I have read so much and now I just want to get back on track.

Andy, I was taking 10mg every other day until I read on here a couple days ago that it is not recommended. So I found the link that tells how to split my 10mg capsules. I am now taking 5mg mixed in purified water daily. I am so glad I found those links!!!

JeanBean

1999 Started this long process with 20 mg Paxil. 4 months later switched to 20 mg Celexa. 2003 cut to 10mg Celexa. Jump to December 2012 decided to taper off with help from doctor. May 2013 caught CDIFF. Put on Flagil (sp) an antibiotic, it caused me to have feelings of hopelessness and that I was going to die either from the CDIFF or the medication I was on. June 2013 started Prozac taper up to 40 mg a day. January 2014 started taper to 20 mg a day. January 2015 taper to 10mg a day. January 2016 started tapering off 10 mg every other day. Really struggling with this last taper. Now I am taking 5mg a day after reading info on here!

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure you will get back on track now you have some info up your sleeve.  Taking your dose each day should make a big difference in terms of stabilising your CNS. 

Caffeine, alcohol, too much sugar, and heavy exercise are among the things that can activate your CNS too much and make you feel worse. 

Drinking plenty of water, gentle exercise, good food and plenty of rest can help you get through this better.

I hope you're feeling less scared now. Check in whenever you need to - there will be plenty of support for you here. 

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

• Moderator Emeritus

If I've interpreted your posts correctly (which I may not have, so correct me if I'm wrong) you've just dropped from 10mg to 5mg, which is a big drop.  If you're struggling with that, you might consider an intermediate dose, such as 7 or 8mg.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Thank you songbird! I thought about that, but I seem to be doing ok on 5mg right now. At least better than I was taking 10mg every other day.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you're doing okay now, that's great, you can just keep it in the back of your mind as an option if you run into any problems later.  I would hold where you are for at least 4 weeks to make sure you're good and stable before beginning tapering.  This is because withdrawal effects can show up several weeks after a dose drop.  Withdrawal problems can sometimes be even more delayed with Prozac, because of its long half-life.  Taking it nice and slow is key to successful tapering.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

Ok I'm posting in this thread because I'm not sure where else to post this.

I am currently taking 5mg Prozac and have been for about a week and a half. The last couple days well maybe more than that I have been getting lots of brains zaps and have a very very short fuse emotionally. I'm pretty good in the morning before I take my medicine. Then in the mid to late afternoon I get really fatigued and really really stressed out and snap at my husband for the silliest things. Just curious if this is normal! Help please!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Jeanbean,

You could consider a small updose to 6mg and see if you can't settle there.  Give it at least four days if you decide to take that option. 

Otherwise you could wait longer and see if it settles more at the 5mg. 

Do you have an instinct one way or the other?

8 month hold.

I really don't. I keep thinking I should just stop all together but I know that would not be good!!!

I just don't want to go into a tailspin! If I up dose will that throw me off?

Hey Jeanbean,

You could consider a small updose to 6mg and see if you can't settle there.  Give it at least four days if you decide to take that option. 

Otherwise you could wait longer and see if it settles more at the 5mg. 

Do you have an instinct one way or the other?

• Moderator Emeritus

It's always a bit of an unknown.  People do agonise over making these decisions, so you aren't alone in that.    Definitely do not stop it altogether!  

Hopefully some others will give their thoughts.  Three brains are better than two etc. 

My opinion:  updosing would be worth a try.  I just can't guarantee anything.  But because taking the dose consistently hasn't given you good relief, it might be that 5mg was too low a dose to settle on - hence the brain zaps etc. 

8 month hold.

Hi Jean--  If you're getting brain zaps it means that you've tapered too fast, or in this case the dose is averaging out too low from trying to go to daily dosing from every other day.  The other factor to keep in mind is that you only started to daily dose about two weeks ago.  Although it only takes 4 days for the drug level to become steady state in the blood it can take several more weeks for the symptoms to settle out a level condition.  Especially after having alternated days for a while.  If the symptoms are tolerable then the best course is to hold steady and wait for things to stabilize.  If the symptoms are unbearable then a small updose will probably help to calm them down.  I wouldn't increase by much, just to 6mg as has been recommended.  We want to go slow and easy which ever direction the dose is going and take plenty of time for things to stabilize before making more changes.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

I think it depends on how bad your symptoms are.  If they're mild to moderate, and you're finding them reasonably bearable, I would just hold on 5mg until you restabilise, which could take at least several weeks.  If symptoms are severe and you're finding them difficult to bear, then an updose might help to alleviate that.  Either way you will need to hold at the dose for several weeks at least, until your system stabilises.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

Karen B, Brassmonkey and songbird, thank you so much. I've also been getting a major migraine a few hours after I take my meds so I then take my Imitrex. Am I possibly getting into serotonin syndrome. I'm really scared of that!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

I've also been getting a major migraine a few hours after I take my meds so I then take my Imitrex. Am I possibly getting into serotonin syndrome. I'm really scared of that!!!

When did these migraines start?  Are they happening every day?  You say "after I take my meds" - plural.  Are you on other meds in addition to Prozac?  You say "my Imitrex" - are you taking this regularly?  What dose of Imitrex do you take? 

I know little about Imitrex, but have read that there is a risk of serotonin syndrome with the combination of Prozac and Imitrex.  A 5mg dose of Prozac is relatively low, so it is likely that the risk of serotonin syndrome is fairly low if these are the only two meds you are taking.  It is a concern if you are getting a major migraine and taking Imitrex every day.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

I am not getting the migraines the last few days. When I said meds I meant just the Prozac. I take the Imitrex as needed.

Saturday was a pretty bad day for me. Thought I was going over the edge all day. Then I talked with a friend who has experience with these drugs and is in the process of her internship for helping people come off prescription drugs. After talking with me for a while she said it sounded like I needed to up dose up to 8 mg instead of the 5 mg I had dropped to, so I did that right away. I feel so much better now, just a little tired. In two weeks I will start a very slow taper until I am off these drugs for good!!! I am so thankful for this website. I know God brought me here and He will get me through this!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

I am surprised there a internships for helping people come off prescription drugs.  Would be interesting to know what they're teaching them, hopefully it is sensible stuff.

Great to hear that the migraines haven't been around recently.  It's fine to do a small updose if it helps you, but I would definitely hold there for longer than 2 weeks to give your body a chance to catch up with all the changes - at least 4 weeks, 6-8 weeks would probably be better.  You want to be nice and stable when you restart your taper.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

Ok I will probably do that! Thank you Songbird!!!!

• 2 months later...

Its been a while and here I am again. I was tapering just fine and doing really good on the slow taper. Then I went on vacation 3 weeks ago. Well long story short. I grabbed the 20mg capsules instead of the 10mg ones and did't realize it until today that I have been using the wrong capsules for my taper. Now I am really scared and not sure if I should start over with my taper. 

The way I was tapering was mixing the capsules in water and dosing from that. I was all the way down to 5.5 mg. By making this mistake I am back up to 11mg. Wow I am such a doofuss. Today I realized this but not until after I mixed my meds with the 10mg capsules and took what I was scheduled to take. Help I don't know what I should do.

Jeannie

Its been a while and here I am again. I was tapering just fine and doing really good on the slow taper. Then I went on vacation 3 weeks ago. Well long story short. I grabbed the 20mg capsules instead of the 10mg ones and did't realize it until today that I have been using the wrong capsules for my taper. Now I am really scared and not sure if I should start over with my taper. 

The way I was tapering was mixing the capsules in water and dosing from that. I was all the way down to 5.5 mg. By making this mistake I am back up to 11mg. Wow I am such a doofuss. Today I realized this but not until after I mixed my meds with the 10mg capsules and took what I was scheduled to take. Help I don't know what I should do.

Jeannie

Hi Jean Bean :)

From what I can tell from the lovely people here at the site, it's best to taper down sloooowwwwly. Even though it's only been an accidental 3 weeks at 11mg, slooooooowly taper back down to where you were before to 5.5mg.

You don't want to rush getting back there. Again, from what I've read, rushing only puts you in a position to withdraw more harshly and you want to be gentle with yourself...

So, however long it took you to get from 11mg to 5.5mg should probably be the same pace you re-adopt now. But see how you feel... a lot of this tapering business is all about 'going by feel'.

Take care,

Cayperz

Off Lithium (1000mg) since December 2016

Off Lamictal (50mg)since June 2016

Off Abilify (5/10mg) since 2015

It's diagnonsense! 

So, I threw it to the wind and kept walking...

And I will never go back.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back Jeannie,

Mistakes happen, and that sounds like an easy one to have made. I hope you had a nice vacation, it sounds like the accidental up-dose didn't have a significant effect on you. How were you feeling during your vacation?

How are you feeling now?

Is this correct that you have now been taking 11mg for 3 weeks, but today you took 5.5mg?

I'm thinking that if you felt well on 11mg for 3 weeks and fine now, perhaps it would be best to stick with the 11mg and continue your tapering from there. I know it might seem like a waste of all the time you spent tapering over the last few months, but in my opinion, when someone has been on these kinds of drugs for many years like you (and me) have, it would be expected that the tapering process, if its going to be comfortable would also take years rather than months.

I will check with other staff for their opinions, but if it were me and I was currently feeling fine on 11mg, I would continue from the 11mg and not risk causing destabilization by jumping back down to the lower dose.  You will get there eventually and more comfortably if you keep the changes very small.

Please read through this topic for more: The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Jean - just to let you know - many people in here have made "oops" mistakes in their dosing.

You are lucky that you didn't destabilize - often that happens when an "oops" means a larger drop than you meant to.  Those are painful, because sometimes the symptoms prevent a person from understanding how it happened until weeks later, they realize, they did a 25% drop instead of 8% or whatever.  Those are the worst "oops" in my experience.

Petunia's advice is conservative, safe.  I'm all for that!

Maybe just think of it as an "extra long hold" and you will be back on track soon.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 3 years later...
  • Administrator

JeanBean, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.