AngHatesPills ... Want to feel normal without Antidepressents!

AngHatesPills

Anyone taking It? How do you feel about it because I have zero clue if it's a good thing or a bad thing for me after being on it for one year now...

Zoloft 100mg for almost TEN years

Weaning off Zoloft 3 months now, 50mg daily ... Past two weeks 50mg every other day

Taking welbutrin a year now, 150mg but was increased to 300mg three months ago

I have added 5-HTP supplement

I've been on antidepressants for 20 years now, in the following order: Paxil, Effexor, Cynbalta, Zoloft, Welbutrin.

Zoloft over the past 9 years with Welbutrin included in just this past year. I hate it and I've been weaning myself off Zoloft for 3 months now but I can't tell if I'm worse due to withdrawals, or worse due to going off the Zoloft. I need advice please. I don't know what to do about the Welbutrin either

Zoloft 100mg for almost TEN years

Weaning off Zoloft 3 months now, 50mg daily ... Past two weeks 50mg every other day

Taking welbutrin a year now, 150mg but was increased to 300mg three months ago

I have added 5-HTP supplement

HI Ang. Welcome. It's hard to give advice without knowing your details.Could you please add your drug history signature, please. It will help everyone to be able to answer with more clarity and precision . What was your tapering schedule ? 

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

You will find lots of support ,here.

Please come back with any questions , you might have. This is your thread to record your progress and ask questions.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Ang,

That sure is a lot of drugs to keep track of.  No wonder you're more than ready to leave them behind.  The main thing to understand with tapering is the importance of keeping your Central Nervous System stable:  Keep it Simple, Keep it Slow, Keep it Stable.  Taking the same amount at the same time each day is vital, so you could move from 50mg every second day to 25mg daily.  This will be your first step towards stability (which helps minimise symptoms).  You should then hold at that dose for a while. 

If you are feeling worse since tapering that is probably withdrawal symptoms:  What is withdrawal symptom?

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose per month.  This is to prevent symptoms from worsening as you go.  Keeping daily symptom notes will help you discern when to make further reductions.  We also recommend tapering one drug at a time so you can keep track of what action is causing what results. 

Now, the info I've pasted at the end of this post is from the Drugs Interactions Checker and is to help you decide what to focus on tapering.  Try not to be alarmed, we'll just use it to make a good plan.

It shows there are four MAJOR interractions cause by Welbutrin, two each by zoloft and Paxil, and one extra between Effexor and Cymbalta.  So it looks like Welbutrin is the one you'll want to get rid of first:  Tips for Tapering Welbutrin It recommends starting with a 10% tapering plan, and possibly increasing if you encounter no problems. 

I imagine that's a lot for anyone to take in, so I'll leave it there.  Please have a read through and come back to this thread with any questions you may have.  There will be lots of support for you here.  I know it looks like a long road, but you can get there.  One step at a time.

Glad to have you here,

Karen.

EDIT:  Due to initial bad maths I'll change my mind.  It looks like Welbutrin, Effexor and Cymbalta each create 4 Major interractions, so we'll take a look at those and see which to tackle first - New post coming soon!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major bupropion sertraline

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Zoloft (sertraline)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with sertraline. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of sertraline, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Major bupropion paroxetine

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Paxil (paroxetine)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with PARoxetine. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of PARoxetine, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major bupropion venlafaxine

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Effexor (venlafaxine)

BuPROPion may rarely cause seizures, and combining it with other medications that can also cause seizures such as venlafaxine may increase that risk. The interaction may be more likely if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major bupropion duloxetine

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with DULoxetine. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of DULoxetine, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major sertraline venlafaxine

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), Effexor (venlafaxine)

Using sertraline together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major sertraline duloxetine

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using sertraline together with DULoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major paroxetine venlafaxine

Applies to: Paxil (paroxetine), Effexor (venlafaxine)

Using PARoxetine together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major paroxetine duloxetine

Applies to: Paxil (paroxetine), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using PARoxetine together with DULoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major venlafaxine duloxetine

Applies to: Effexor (venlafaxine), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using venlafaxine together with DULoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Edited by KarenB
Maths disasters

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

We'll take those three causing the most interactions - Welbutrin, Effexor, Cymbalta - and consider them as regards the info in Which drug to taper first?

Tips for Tapering Wellbutrin-  a slightly weaker SSRI, so if a person isn't too sensitised they can sometimes taper it faster.  Can also aggravate w/d symptoms. 

Effexor - A strong SSRI (and SNRI at higher doses).  Difficult to taper.

Cymbalta - An SSRI and SNRI.  Also difficult to taper. 

Looking at that, my pick would still be to focus on tapering Welbutrin.  You can get it out of your system quicker than the others, and it would then be unable to aggravate w/d symptoms during subsequent tapers. 

As I'm one of the newer mods and there is a lot to consider in this case, lets wait for a second opinion.

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

• Administrator

Welcome, ang.

Are you taking only 50mg Zoloft and 300mg Wellbutrin now?

Please do NOT skip doses to taper either of them!!!

What are your current symptoms?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again Ang,

I understood the list you wrote in your second post to be the drugs you are currently on but - as Alto has spotted - this may not be the case.  

Thanks for writing a signature - could you add in all of those drugs together with their tapering details/dates (if any older dates are a bit hazy, that's okay - it just gives us an idea of the whole picture). 

Thanks,

Karen

8 month hold.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ang ,  welcome.

I've been on antidepressants for 20 years now, in the following order: Paxil, Effexor, Cynbalta, Zoloft, Welbutrin.
Zoloft over the past 9 years with Welbutrin included in just this past year"

Looks to me like paxil , effexor and cymbalta were taken during the first 10 years , 1985 to 1995.

1995 , switched to zoloft 100mg

2014/5 , wellbutrin added 

I suspect you feel worse due to withdrawal symptoms from tapering too fast.

The general recommendation here is to taper by no more than 10%  decrease at a time , and hold for minimum 4 weeks after each cut.  

This slow approach is in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Your decrease from 100mg to 50mg of zoloft in 3 months is far quicker than we would suggest.

You'd be taking 80mg now doing it our way:

First drop 100mg to 90mg , hold for 1 month.

Second drop , 90mg to 81mg , hold for 1 month 

Third drop , 81mg to 72.9mg

How long ago was your last decrease - from what dose to what dose?

You may find that by updosing to the last level you were stable at you get noticeable symptom relief. 

What dose of wellbutrin are you on?  Don't do any changes there for the moment - it will just complicate things.

And I have to ask , because of your avatar pic (which is lovely btw)  , how much alcohol are you drinking?

Any other drugs?

You're going to be okay Ang , we just need to figure out the quickest way to get you feeling better.

bw ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg