Antidepressants can raise the risk of suicide, biggest ever review finds. 26 Jan 2016.

nz11

Well this is nothing new to any of us ..but maybe just maybe the truth is coming out....little by little.

Antidepressant use doubles the risk of suicide in under 18s and the risks to adults may have been seriously underestimated, researchers found

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/12126146/Antidepressants-can-raise-the-risk-of-suicide-biggest-ever-review-finds.html

Antidepressants can raise the risk of suicide, the biggest ever review has found, as pharmaceutical companies were accused of failing to report side-effects and even deaths linked to the drugs.

An analysis of 70 trials of the most common antidepressants - involving more than 18,000 people - found they doubled the risk of suicide and aggressive behaviour in under 18s.

Although a similarly stark link was not seen in adults, the authors said misreporting of trial data could have led to a ‘serious under-estimation of the harms.’

"It is absolutely horrendous that they have such disregard for human lives."
Professor Peter Gotzsche, Nordic Cochrane Centre

For years families have claimed that antidepressant medication drove their loved ones to commit suicide, but have been continually dismissed by medical companies and doctors who claimed a link was unproven.

The review - the biggest oif its kind into the effects of the drugs - was carried out by the Nordic Cochrane Centre and analysed by University College London (UCL) who today endorse the findings in an editorial in the British Medical Journal (BMJ).

After comparing clinical trial information to actual patient reports the scientists found pharmaceutical companies had regularly misclassified deaths and suicidal events in people taking anti-depressants to "favour their products".

Experts said the review's findings were "startling" and said it was "deeply worrying" that clinical trials appear to have been misreported.

Drugs like citalopram can cause serious withdrawal symptoms.

Dr Joanna Moncrieff from University College London said: "People in the United Kingdom are consuming more than four times as many antidepressants as they did two decades ago. Despite this, we still do not fully understand the effects of these drugs.”

The UK now has the seventh highest prescribing rate for antidepressants in the Western world, with around four million Britons taking them each year - twice as many as a decade ago at a cost of more than £200 million a year for the 53 million prescriptions now written.

"People in the United Kingdom are consuming more than four times as many antidepressants as they did two decades ago"
Dr Joanna Moncrieff, University College London

Although NHS guidelines state that under 18s should not be given antidepressants there are more than 100,000 prescriptions for Prozac each year for teenagers, despite reviews showing that the drugs are no more effective than counselling.

The review looked at the five most common drugs prescribed for depression in Britain - including Prozac.

It analysed the published summary reports provided by pharmaceutical companies to drugs regulators and compared it with the raw data from clinical trials.

Tarang Sharma of the Nordic Cochrane Centre, Copenhagen, Denmark admitted: “The analysis suggests that clinical study reports, on which decisions about market authorisation are based, are likely to underestimate the extent of drug related harms.”

Four deaths were misreported by one unnamed pharmaceutical company, who claimed they had occurred after the trials had stopped.

One patient strangled himself unexpectedly after taking venlafaxine but because he survived for five days, he was excluded from the results because it was claimed he was no longer on the trial while he was dying in hospital.

More than half of the suicide attempts and suicidal thoughts had been misrecorded as emotional instability or worsening of depression.

In summary trial reports from the drugs giant Eli Lilly, suicidal attempts were missing in 90 per cent of cases.

One father whose son committed suicide after taking Citalopram has been monitoring suicides related to antidepressant medication for the last three years and has set up the anonymous campaigning website AntiDepAware.

So far this month there have been at least 35 inquests with deaths linked to antidepressants. Last year there were more than 450.

“I can say, hand on heart, that I don’t remember reading a report of an inquest where a suicide verdict was applied to a child who had never been on any psychiatric medication,” he said.

Professor Peter Gøtzsche, the lead author from the Nordic Cochrane Centre said: "Antidepressants don't work in children, that is pretty clear, in the randomised trials children say that they don't work for them, but they increase their risk of suicide.

"What I get out of this colossal underreporting of suicides is that SSRIs likely increase suicides in all ages."

The authors concluded that that exercise and psychotherapy should be offered to children and young adults before anti-depressants because that harms are likely to outweigh the benefits.

The drugs which reviewed were duloxetine, fluoxetine - which is also known as Prozac - paroxetine, sertraline and venlafaxine which belong to two classes, Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors antidepressants (SSRIs) and serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs).

Commenting on the findings of the review Professor Gotzsche added, "It is absolutely horrendous that they have such disregard for human lives."

"This new study is deeply worrying, and it’s very concerning that some clinical trials have been misreported or poorly designed"
Lucie Russell, Director of Campaigns for YoungMinds

Lucie Russell, Director of Campaigns for YoungMinds: “This new study is deeply worrying, and it’s very concerning that some clinical trials have been misreported or poorly designed.

“Children and their parents must have solid and comprehensive information about the effects that antidepressants can have so they can make informed decisions about treatment.

“We believe that prescribing antidepressants should never be the only course of action.”

Marjorie Wallace, Chief Executive of the mental health charity SANE added: “This new report indicates that great caution must be taken in prescribing new-generation anti-depressants (SSRIs) for children and adolescents.“

Health experts said misreporting of trial data was a growing problem.

Dr Paul Ramchandani, Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist with Central North West London Foundation NHS Trust said: “There have been concerns for a number of years about the way in which some trials of medicines or drugs for depression were originally reported, particularly when the treatment was for children and adolescents.”

Dr Paul Keedwell, Consultant Psychiatrist and Senior Research Fellow in the Neurobiology of Mood Disorders at Cardiff University, added:“The findings provide a further lesson in how professionals must carefully scrutinise drug company summaries for data on adverse events.”

However drug companies defended their data, saying that safety was their top priority.

A spokesman for Eli Lilly said: “No regulatory authority has ever determined that Lilly withheld or improperly disclosed any data related to these medications.

“Put simply, our goal is to make life better for people around the world, and Lilly is committed to sharing the results of our clinical trials and ensuring this information is available to the people who need it.”

CASE STUDY

Dr Margaret Tisdale, 64, was a renowned virologist who helped develop treatments for HIV, AIDS and influenza.

The church warden was a well-known pillar of the community in her village of Wrestlingworth in Bedfordshire, and a chair of school governors at the local primary.

But on April 29 last year she was found unconscious in her garden having fallen from the window. On her bedside table was a copy of a self-help book on coping with stress and her antidepressant tablets.

An inquest last October heard how in the months leading to her death she had stressed about the amount of voluntary work she had taken on and a doctor prescribed Citalopram.

A coroner ruled that she had committed suicide after being ‘overtaken by stress.’

However at the hearing, her sister Linda Foreman raised concerns about the side effects of her medication.

She said: “I felt that she wasn’t depressed, but was instead very anxious and stressed. I was concerned about the Citalopram she was prescribed, when I looked up the side effects. I don’t think she knew how serious the side effects could be.”

Speaking after the hearing she added: “Margaret was not depressed but suffering from stress and anxiety.

“I now know that antidepressants are prescribed too frequently and far better results would be achieved through counselling.”

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 2 weeks later...

and in the meantime, it;s just been reported that " experts "recommend all children between 12 and 18 be screened for depression(I'm in U.S.), where do you think that is going?

My God,where does it end!?

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

and in the meantime, it;s just been reported that " experts "recommend all children between 12 and 18 be screened for depression(I'm in U.S.), where do you think that is going?

!!! you must surely be joking!! omg.We gonna see an increase in school shootings then.

direstraits do you have any link to this.

What will they use for screening...? the PHQ9 form? Devised by Pfizer?

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Mentor

I heard this too, plus they want to screen pregnant women and new mothers to look for post partum depression

it's scary stuff

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

it was on yesterday's Today Show (tuesday)'

not good with links..

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Well i did a quick google and this was one link that looks horrifying

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/feb/08/should-i-be-screened-for-depression

Everyone over the age of 18 should be screened for depression, says the US Preventive Services Task Force – and the government-appointed body really means everyone. Doctors should ask people if they are sad, tired or distracted – even if they have come in with an ingrown toenail. The rationale for this is that only half of those in the US who are depressed get treatment, yet the World Health Organisation projects that by 2020, depression will be the second leading cause of disability worldwide.

Generally, for a condition to be screenable, it should be important, common, treatable and the benefits of screening should outweigh the harms. It shouldn’t have high rates of false positives (diagnosing someone without the condition) or false negatives (missing someone who does have it). The task force says screening for depression fulfills these criteria and that cognitive behavioural therapy and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs, a type of antidepressant) both reduce symptoms.

So if screening is so good, why do the UK and Canada say that only people at high risk (for example, those with chronic medical conditions or a history of depression) should be specifically asked about depression? Since screening can be as simple as asking two questions: “During the past month have you often been bothered by feeling down, depressed or hopeless?” and “Do you have little interest or pleasure in doing things?” aren’t the Americans right?

The solution

We shouldn’t all be screened because the evidence for doing so isn’t good enough. The risks may also be higher than the “none” claimed by the US task force. Screening may identify people as depressed when they aren’t, and may lead to unnecessary treatment of mild symptoms that could have resolved themselves. SSRIs are linked (as the task force acknowledges) with increases in birth abnormalities and, more significantly, they are also associated with an increase in suicidal behaviour, especially in under-18s, as shown in research in the BMJ last week.

A review of screening for depression in the Canadian Medical Journal in 2012 said that there are no good trials that show the benefits of screening when people are given the same treatment, regardless of how they were diagnosed. In the US, where there is more collaborative and intensive care for depression, the results for treating after screening may be better. But there is also no evidence on how often you would need to be screened – and depression can often return.

The task force now also recommends screening in pregnancy – using a different test – as well as afterwards, because post-partum depression can actually start before the baby is born. Since post-partum is a known risk period, this does seem sensible. And if you ever screen yourself, bear in mind that it is just a screening test and not a proper diagnosis – for that you should see your GP.

.......................................//................................

I give up,  we just have no chance of ever stopping this crime. Its only because pharma have such deep pockets that they can push push push this until its accepted!

Keep saying the same thing many times even if wrong and finally every one accepts it.

Just read the Asch psych experiment. Pharma are masterful at playing on this.

Why isnt there a national outrage and outcry about this.

Recovering paxil addict

To screen the teenagers they're going to use a simple question " one to ten how lame is the world?" anything over a 4 rates as depressed and needs to be medicated. LOL Tongue in cheek, but I'd almost put money on it really happening that way.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

anything over a 4 rates as depressed but anything under a 4 rates as insane.  teenagers who like life?  preposterous!  they must be off their nut, or hyperactive, or impregnantizing!

1 - amphetamine + mood stabilizer + antipsychotic

2-3 - amphetamine + mood stabilizer

4-5 - one or two antidepressants

6-7 - two antidepressants and an anxiolytic or sedative

8-9 - two antidepressants, an anxiolytic, a benzodiazepine, and an antipsychotic

10 - two antidepressants, an anxiolytic, a benzodiazepine, a hypnotic, two antipsychotics, and a partridge in a pear tree

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

This is not new it was tried before called teen screen

see this from my quick search

TeenScreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The TeenScreen National Center for Mental Health Checkups at Columbia University was an evidence-based, national mental health and suicide risk screening ...
TeenScreen—Controversial Mental Health Screening ...
www.cchrint.org/2012/11/27/teenscreen-shuts-down/
  •  
  •  
Nov 27, 2012 - A “model” program that was part of a controversial plan to screen all US citizens for mental illness has announced that it is closing down. ... TeenScreen was endorsed by the New Freedom Commission on Mental Health, which was established by the former US president George W Bush in ...
TeenScreen Pharmaceutically funded | CCHR International
(Formerly known as the Columbia University TeenScreen Program). Drummond Rennie, professor of medicine at the University of California, and deputy editor ...
[PDF]Depression: Teen Screening -Unreliable, Invasive And ...
www.cchr.org/.../Depression_Teen_Screening_Unreliable_Invasive_and...
  •  
  •  
The TeenScreen program conducted in the United States and several other ... investigator, Allen Jones, “Teen Screen is a nefarious [wicked] effort to recruit our.
Columbia TeenScreen® – Mental Health Association ...
mhaok.org/what-we-do/youth-outreach/columbia-teenscreen/
  •  
  •  
Columbia University TeenScreen® Schools and Communities is a voluntary screening program designed to assess the physical and mental well-being of ...
[PDF]TeenScreen Primary Care
https://depts.washington.edu/dbpeds/Screening%20Tools/TeenScreen.pdf
  •  
  •  
1. This document is designed to provide additional information about the screening questionnaires offered through TeenScreen Primary Care. Information about ...
TeenScreen | Tennessee Suicide Prevention Network
tspn.org/teenscreen
  •  
  •  
The Columbia University TeenScreen Program was created after a concerned father came to researchers at Columbia University and expressed an interest in ...
TeenScreen shuts doors suddenly after 13 years
www.mentalhealthweeklynews.com/.../teenscreen-shuts-doors-suddenly-...
  •  
  •  
Dec 10, 2012 - When Columbia University's TeenScreen program announced last month that it was shutting down effective December 14, everyone was ...

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

!!! you must surely be joking!! omg.We gonna see an increase in school shootings then.

Here in the U.S. they will just blame it on the guns, not the real cause. I don't remember hearing of school shooting before SSRIs.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy