Altostrata

Tips for tapering off Lamictal (lamotrigine)

RubyTuesday

I purchased a small graded 10 milliliter thingey at the drugstore, that came with a dropper. Rather than dropping 10% of each previous dose, as recommended, that was too much math for me, as I had no help from a doc or a pharmacy, I dropped 1/10th of my lowest dose of a 25 mg tablet, I think about every two weeks at the end. I had tapered down from 50 to 25, I don't remember exactly how. I dissolved my little white tab in water, and agitated it vigorously with a long spike thing that my son ordered for me off the Internet (he was studying Chemistry) and took out, using the dropper, 1/10th, then

2/10th etc. and threw it away and swallowed the remainder. This went on for about a year I think. I was down to about 3/10th of the dose when there was a full moon eclipse and I happened to get into a conversation at the public library with a total stranger who was trying to homeschool a very bright and difficult son, as I had done several years earlier, and deal with the local school system, who are all total idiots. I felt so inspired remembering this phase of my life, before being poisoned by psych meds, that when I came home and stared at the remaining Lamictal, I was simply unable to put it into my body so I just didn't. That being said, I still had mind boggling suicidal depression in waves for about 6 months afterwards, I signed up for college classes but was unable to complete any of them, and I couldn't get myself back to ballet class either although I had done that after jumping off Seroquel and still being on Lamictal. Around 6 months out a period of slow & steady improvement commenced although Christmas season of 2016 (I jumped off in March of 2016) I again had terrible waves of godawful deppression. Since then the depression has been slowly & steadily lightening up and I am left with a feeling not unlike I used to have after LSD trips when I was in my early 20s, sort of a feeling of being flat and empty, but okay, and able to begin again. Anyway hope that helps, everyone is different, but the thing is, you can always speed up the taper, but it's harder to slow it down and still deal with the withdrawal effects. Best of luck!!!

robcbar1
16 hours ago, RubyTuesday said:

I purchased a small graded 10 milliliter thingey at the drugstore, that came with a dropper. Rather than dropping 10% of each previous dose, as recommended, that was too much math for me, as I had no help from a doc or a pharmacy, I dropped 1/10th of my lowest dose of a 25 mg tablet, I think about every two weeks at the end. I had tapered down from 50 to 25, I don't remember exactly how. I dissolved my little white tab in water, and agitated it vigorously with a long spike thing that my son ordered for me off the Internet (he was studying Chemistry) and took out, using the dropper, 1/10th, then

2/10th etc. and threw it away and swallowed the remainder. This went on for about a year I think. I was down to about 3/10th of the dose when there was a full moon eclipse and I happened to get into a conversation at the public library with a total stranger who was trying to homeschool a very bright and difficult son, as I had done several years earlier, and deal with the local school system, who are all total idiots. I felt so inspired remembering this phase of my life, before being poisoned by psych meds, that when I came home and stared at the remaining Lamictal, I was simply unable to put it into my body so I just didn't. That being said, I still had mind boggling suicidal depression in waves for about 6 months afterwards, I signed up for college classes but was unable to complete any of them, and I couldn't get myself back to ballet class either although I had done that after jumping off Seroquel and still being on Lamictal. Around 6 months out a period of slow & steady improvement commenced although Christmas season of 2016 (I jumped off in March of 2016) I again had terrible waves of godawful deppression. Since then the depression has been slowly & steadily lightening up and I am left with a feeling not unlike I used to have after LSD trips when I was in my early 20s, sort of a feeling of being flat and empty, but okay, and able to begin again. Anyway hope that helps, everyone is different, but the thing is, you can always speed up the taper, but it's harder to slow it down and still deal with the withdrawal effects. Best of luck!!!

Thank you for these details. It sounds complicated.  How does liquid ml correlate to mg???  I reread your signature history and it sounds like you've been through a lot.  March marks 2 years of protracted withdrawal for me after 20 yrs of SSRI use.  I literally feel like the walking dead right now.  I've begged anyone who will listen for help (docs, therapists, naturopaths, people on SA) but haven't seen any improvements.  I am very concerned that I'm not going to heal.        

scallywag

robcbar - RubyTuesday is probably making a solution from the tablets.  The concentration, how many mg in a ml, is completely flexible.

You recently dropped from 5 mg to 2.5 mg, probably because it's easy to cut a tablet in half.  Having found that reduction was too large, you may want to try increasing to a dose of 4.5 mg, a 10% reduction from 5 mg. Let's continue this conversation in your introduction topic.

For reference on making a liquid: Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules .

RubyTuesday

Yes, that. What scallywag said. About the reduction technique.

As for feeling like the walking dead, this is not uncommon. How fast did you taper the SSRI or did you cold turkey? In any event, best to taper the Lamictal as slowly as humanly possible. Have you tried acupuncture? Acupuncture was the most helpful for me.

You will definitely heal. We are all built to heal. Best wishes. Feel free to reach out any time.

Ruby

robcbar1
On ‎02‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, RubyTuesday said:

Yes, that. What scallywag said. About the reduction technique.

As for feeling like the walking dead, this is not uncommon. How fast did you taper the SSRI or did you cold turkey? In any event, best to taper the Lamictal as slowly as humanly possible. Have you tried acupuncture? Acupuncture was the most helpful for me.

You will definitely heal. We are all built to heal. Best wishes. Feel free to reach out any time.

Ruby

I'm currently down from 5mg to 3.8mg in about 3 weeks.  I know that's too fast but I really need to get off of this drug as it's making my protracted WD symptoms much worse.  I don't know if I'd survive 10% every 4 weeks based on my first 10% drop.  The derealization, agitation, and suicidal depression that comes with each drop is insane.  I had no idea Lamictal was such a nasty drug, even at this very small dose.  Please share any advice or positive vibes. 

RubyTuesday

Yes it is a nasty drug. I personally felt like someone was beating on my head with a hammer every time I took a drop. You are doing GREAT!!! 

If you want to PM me your real name I will place it in my own favorite prayer circle. Totally optional.

Big Hugs!!!

Hibari
Posted (edited)

Lamictal is a very nasty drug.  I have been tapering for the past 2 1/2 years and these lower doses are tough.  I'm at 10mgs down from 200mgs.

I just have come out of horrible wave after pushing my taper the last two drops.   Though I too have wanted to push through this last phase, I continue to face the fact that the impact of Lamictal on my nervous system won't let me.  I chose some videos on YouTube at random and heard again how necessary it is to go slow at the lower doses due to the medication being at it's highest concentration point (my understanding and my words).  It goes against everything our bodies seem to want us to do, which is to move out of pain. 

I empathize with what you are going through and very much understand your frustration about the protracted wd symptoms of Lamictal.

I too recommend acupuncture (Acupuncture - Posts #6 & #8 - not detox or stimulation) or some kind of soothing body treatment to help calm your nervous system.  It helps a lot.

Edited by ChessieCat
added link to acupuncture topic

Altostrata

Hibari, it sounds like it's time you took a vacation from tapering. Stay at 10mg lamotrigine for some months, then resume tapering. Congratulations on getting down so far!

PollyJ

Hi-

I'm on 250 mgs of lamictal and currently tapering off of Effexor. I appreciate the thoughtful, specific and sober approaches to getting off of these meds. My goal is to be med free. I already feel better and alive in a way that I forgot about. Will stay close to this forum. Thank you to everyone who contributes here. 

Hibari

You are not alone PollyJ and taking it step by step will get you there. 

Art

Hi I’ve been tapering down Lamotragine from 100 mg/day for around 3 years.  I’m at 7.8 mg in oral suspension from Walgreens.  I’m tapering 0.05-0.1 mg every few weeks and maintaining a technical job and marriage. I get strong feelings of hopelessness and try to get extra sleep and not do any damage to self or others. I really want to be done but taking time to allow brain to adjust.  The suspension is 1mg/ml and I use a plastic syringe. Ps my real name is not Art.

Altostrata

Hello again, Art. If you would like to participate here more often, please post in your existing Introductions topic.

Survivor1

Has anyone who has taken lamictal ever develop bleeding gums?  I have always had excellent oral hygiene, and never had this issue, but two weeks after starting lamictal, I notice blood everytime I brush.  I have seen anecdotal stories of gum issues, but it is not on the side effect list.

I also seem to have some usual facial pain (anywhere from jaw to cheekbone to eye socket).  

Thanks

Altostrata

I've never heard of bleeding gums from Lamictal, but what do I know.

Survivor1
22 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I've never heard of bleeding gums from Lamictal, but what do I know.

Hi Alto,  

Looks like I have to thank WD for the bleeding gums.  Yesterday it was gone, as is this morning.  Whether it was a lamictal start-up issue or WD, I'll never know, but I'm glad it seems to be gone.

Thanks for responding