SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Ali4: Reinstating low dose of celexa

Ali4

I updated my sig again, maybe cause I used my phone last time it didn't work, March 23 up dose to 10mg.

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ali4

• AliG

• Fresh

• Dan998

• Moderator Emeritus

Ah , thanks. Have you noticed any changes , for better or worse , since then?

It sounds like it got a bit better , but not better enough.

As it's been a week , you could bump it up again , maybe to 12.5mg.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Honestly it took the harsher head symptoms away, right off the hop, what I'm left with is numbness and some tingling in my head, dizzy, muscle spams in my legs, at times don't mentally feel with it, if that makes sense ????

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you have the numbness , muscle spasms , tingling etc. before you updosed , or are they new?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I just feel like giving up, like it will never end, alot of the symptoms have subsided, but I still have numbness and tingling in my head, it worries me.

It will end. Up until last week I was still getting a lot of the numbness and tingling.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

No not new had them the hole time. Since coming off and reinstating.

• Moderator Emeritus

So there haven't been any negative effects of reinstating / updosing then?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

No, it has taken away the harsher symptoms, just lingering in some areas. I have had some mini windows, so that's a positive. Hope it's sorting itself out.

Nothing like being told everything that is happening to you, IS ALL IN YOUR HEAD.

Well technically it is. But the problem with that phrase is that it is usually used in a condescending manner...

Everything we experience is generated by our heads so if there is something wrong upstairs then it can affect our entire world!

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

How are you my friend?

Brain fog and unclear head, very unpleasant, thoughts of self harm arw scary too. I feel like I'm in the battle for my life, I just want sanity.

Need advice ASAP PLEASE, if you feel somewhat worse after a while from a updose and are experiencing bad symptoms, should you drop the dose for relief? ??? I updosed March 23, at first improvement, but not so much now, I can't continue with no quality of life, it's too much, what should I do??? Thanks AlI

PLEEEAAASSSE help, I don't wanna end up in the hospital ????????????????????????????

Hi Ali4--  There is no need for you to end up in the hospital.  Thoughts of self harming, as scary as they can be, are just that, thoughts, and no matter how unpleasant the thoughts are they can't hurt you.  If you're actually about to take an knife and start cutting on your arm then please find someone to sit with you until the thoughts pass.  Which they will.

Getting through a reinstatement can be a really rough period of time and it always lasts longer than we want it to.  It's only been two weeks, and I'm sorry to say it may take several more before things really start to settle out.  The best thing to do right now is NOT PANIC at all the strange things your mind is throwing at you.  Getting through this period is the most important thing you have to do right now.  Talk yourself through it one minute at a time if necessary, that's how it's done.  Quality of life will have to wait for a few days but it will still be there when this subsides.  Right now making it to the other side is what is important.

(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

???????????????? I just feel so our of it, all the time, everyday is a battle, I tell myself it will pass, but still wake everyday feeling the same. It's been since Feb 5 of reinstating all together,I know when you updose it takes time again, but this is hell and I feel like I'm dying and a few steps away from a straight jacket. Thank you brass for your kind words, I hope a widow come soon, cause right now they seem far far away in my never land. Ali

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ali. Changing doses, either up or down, will create instability. The brain is exquisitely complex and needs a lot of time to adjust to different levels of chemicals floating around in there.

Your brain is understandably confused and frightened right now. It had these chemicals for many years, then you took them away, and now you've put them back in again. Stability is what it needs right now.

Brass is right, it is going to take quite a while, but things will eventually settle down again.

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

Doctors tell me to exercise and I'll get better, how the hell do you do that when you can't even function, nobody gets it, my husband is going to leave me if this keeps up. I can see the pain this is all causing.

• Moderator Emeritus

Exercise really helped me. Nothing too strenuous, start off with a short walk and slowly build it up from there. I walk about 30 miles a week now.

The hardest part is getting out the front door and making that first step.

It's really worth doing. I have hardly any symptoms when I'm out walking.

2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

Can I stop the celexa for one day and see what happens? See if things ease up, I'm so lost.

Please don't!

I totally know how you feel and why you think so as I'm in the hard place between drug reaction and WD too, fighting every minute for life.

If you really want to test the water, try to reduce the dose a bit and see how things go after at least a few days.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm beginning to feel a bit like a broken record Ali.

Each time you updosed , you felt better. Less symptoms. Doesn't that suggest to you that you're not on a dose that's

therapeutic for you?

How does stopping celexa for one day help? Even if you get immediate relief , you'll get compensatory withdrawal symptoms 12 hours later.

bw ,

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I'm sorry fresh, not on a dose that's therapeutic, I'm not sure what that meens? When I updosed I did feel relief, but weeks later I feel like **** again. I will leave the dose, ride it out and hope things change I guess.

(....Anyone ever hit a grocery store and just walked around totally out of it and just feeling "weird" I did today and it was super uncomfortable...)

If they have fluorescent lighting, that's what does it.  It's a "neurological " reaction.  Happens to me every time I have to go to the emergency room or Walmart.

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

It's like your not in the same world as everyone else ????

• Moderator Emeritus

"I'm sorry fresh, not on a dose that's therapeutic, I'm not sure what that meens? When I updosed I did feel relief, but weeks later I feel like **** again"

A dose is therapeutic when it contains your withdrawal to a tolerable level. Each time you increased , you felt better for a few days , but it wasn't enough to nail the withdrawal.

You took 30mg of citalopram for 10 years so your brain is used to that. The 10mg you're taking now is not enough.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry fresh, not on a dose that's therapeutic, I'm not sure what that meens? When I updosed I did feel relief, but weeks later I feel like **** again. I will leave the dose, ride it out and hope things change I guess.

I think what Fresh means by therapeutic is that the dosage is just right for where your nervous system is at in the healing process, such that withdrawal symptoms go away.

Ali4, I know you have been waiting a long time for stability.  I am inclined to think that your up-dosing was going in the right direction (as opposed to excessive) because you didn't have immediate negative responses and in fact improved.   I think dropping again would be premature since you did respond favorably to the up-doses.  It is hard to know what is really going on here because you likely still have benzo WD in the mix.  That may be what is bleeding through the up-dose improvements.  I'm not clear from your sig when you actually came off of citalopram.  If you could add that to your sig it would help those of us who are dropping in to your thread to see the situation at a glance.

What are your current symptoms that you are finding unbearable?

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

My current unbearable symptoms are my head, pressure, sinus pressure, pressure behind my eyes brain fog and feeling out of it.i was tapered off 30mg over a month as well as the benzo at the same time, was on cit for 10 years. Mid January was my last dose of celexa and reinstated February 5. Thank you SG and fresh for your help. Do I just stay at this dose? Ali

• Moderator Emeritus

After mulling it over, we mods are thinking that yes, you should stay at this dose.  You've had some bouncing around and further changes would increase instability, so hard as it is to ride this out, we are hoping that by keeping everything consistent now you will eventually stabilize and those symptoms will subside.  It may be that the reason things got worse after getting better is that you are experiencing windows and waves, so another window will come :-)

Keep posting, and we will of course re-assess as needed.

Many hugs for you in the meantime :-)

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Thank you SG, very much appreciate your time. Ali

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ali.

I've done some number crunching for you. If you had started a 10% taper from 30mg back in December, then it would have taken you until August to reach 10mg.

I mention this because I was in the same boat when I reinstated at 10mg. I didn't feel stable until I reached the point where I would have been had I tapered correctly.

You might have to wait longer than you were expecting, but you should slowly start to feel better as your brain continues to heal. That was my experience anyway. I used to have all the sinus and headaches too, but now I don't. Healing does happen, you just have to hang on until it does.

Read my success story

Thank you Dan ☺

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Dan, I think this is normal Waves and Windows.  

You reinstated on Feb 5, and updosed to 10 mg on 23 March.  That's less than a month ago. 

Give it 3 months, being careful with those other things (like multivitamins! So sorry that happened!), and work on your Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms

Overall, in spite of the awful symptoms, you are doing really well - I think we caught the reinstatement in time, and you're on a good dose to continue for awhile.  

Dan's suggestion of staying on 10 mg until August is an excellent suggestion.  You will have to taper from wherever you are anyway.

I think it was either Rhiannon or Petunia (our senior mods) who considered "The desire to change my dose" as a symptom, too!  A direct result of Neuro-emotion.  

Jon Kabat-Zinn (of "Mindfulness for Depression" fame) reminds me in one of my meditations:  "The fact that you are breathing means there is more right with you than wrong with you in this moment." 

and I found this from Jayme, who has a blog:

Jayme, from http://raynesworld.blogspot.com/

So what do I do when those symptoms occur that I described above?

I embrace them. I honor them for what they are and I feel them for all they are worth. If I am depressed, I feel the depression as if I were being paid to describe to someone what depression is like. I describe it as I am feeling it. I don’t try to distract myself from it the way everyone advises me to do. I hear things like “Take a walk, call a friend, go out with friends, exercise, do anything except feel the depression, you are only dwelling on it and it will make things worse, and for godssake don’t isolate!” I used to feel so guilty for not being able to follow their advice. Not anymore! I will dwell on my depression. I will isolate. I will remove myself from all of society and I will treat myself to whatever my heart desires. That usually means isolating and wallowing in depression and crying my heart out for no reason. There is movement in crying! There is healing. I cry as deeply as my body will allow, and the exhaustion that follows is the most healing experience of all. And “healing” does not mean that the depression is over. It may be around for a while, and that is okay. It is not something that needs to be healed. Depression is simply another human experience, and by god, I am going to experience it!

So what happens when you stop trying to cure depression? The only thing constant is change, and that includes depression. It is always temporary, and you can count on it.

While she is talking about emotional and mental states, and not symptoms of withdrawal, but I think you can apply some of her techniques to withdrawal symptoms, too.

Learn from your symptoms.  Be with them, and let them pass like clouds in the sky.  They will pass.  

If you can survive withdrawal, there ain't gonna be very much that will scare you off in the future!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

You made me cry Jan, thank you so much for your encouraging words, something I will read daily, today you are my light and for that, I thank you. Ali

Hi Ali .  I saw this today and thought it might help :  It is quoted ( courtesy of NZ11) on the Claire Weekes thread, in Symptoms & Self - Care . The Dr Claire Weekes method of recovering from a sensitized nervous system .  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10964-the-dr-claire-weekes-method-of-recovering-from-a-sensitized-nervous-system/

Acceptance.

Acceptance is the most important requirement for efficiently managing withdrawal.

To resolve to cope successfully without fully accepting the presence of the symptoms is unrealistic.

For some people, acceptance implies giving up, resignation or failure.

In your world, however, acceptance means less distress and minimal anxiety.

It is the difference between barely surviving withdrawal and coping well.

Imagine that you are on your way home. You know without doubt that you will arrive. You look ahead and notice there is a massive traffic jam. You are stuck. There is no way out but through. All you can do is resign yourself to waiting. This is withdrawal.

If you can apply the same approach to your symptoms, you will fare much better than if you try to direct or control how your recovery process unfolds

. As you become aware of your symptoms, try to go with the feelings without struggling or attempting to stop them.

You may not be able to do this easily at first, but as you learn to observe your body's physiological reactions, you will find that you can make a mental note of what is happening without letting the fear overcome you.

Even if you're anxiety levels are extremely high, you can simply surrender; resolve to do nothing but be with the feeling of your hands shaking, heart beating fast, agitation or however it manifests.

Whenever I had an intense feeling of fear or impending doom, I would take deep breaths  and talk myself through it without resisting.

'Okay here we go again; it's back. Ah well, at least I know what it is.… Feels like I'm petrified but I'm not really. Gosh, look how shaky I am. This is normal. I don't need to do anything. I know what it is and it will soon pass.'

It works; just don't fight it.

You're not going to stop breathing, faint, fall or die as much as it may feel that way.

When you think that as intense as the feeling is, you have had it before and it has never caused any harm. Whatever you feared might happen, did not. You can use this to reassure yourself that as terrified as you may be feeling while it is happening, you are going to be okay.

Breathe and repeat. It can take time and practice to become fully accepting. You may occasionally still resist the symptoms.

This is normal as it is instinctive behaviour to struggle when a threat is perceived. The key is to not give up or become impatient with yourself when this happens.

Try to see your symptoms as little inconveniences – the cars ahead of you in the traffic.

You will soon notice that even if at first you do give in and fight a particular symptom, with practice you will eventually be able to choose how you respond. Yes, you are stuck with annoying and sometimes frightening symptoms, but is only a temporary setback. You will make it home to recovery.

Withdrawal is literally healing in action. If you are able to acknowledge each symptom, no matter how disturbing, as necessary – evidence that your nervous system is recovering – you will be able to truly accept them.

As some say when new symptoms appear or old ones resurface: 'So this is what it feels like to heal.'

p42-44

I find acceptance is " key " .  Let your symptoms " float " by .

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thank you AliG ☺