Splinter hemmorhages in nails

shamaan

I'm having this for a while now. It comes and goes , but I never found out why I have them. They are small vertical lines under my nails , both finger and toe nails.

There is a whole list of possible causes , but maybe it is just another symptom of withdrawal and I can ignore it.

Does anybody else have these?

Effexor free for 36 months. Still on 25mg of Solian.

Tapering Xanax and on a dose of 0,15mg , splitted in four doses.

Last reductions:
9/06: 1.875%
7/07: 2.5%

22/07: 1.96%

• Administrator

This is probably related more to diet or genetics than psychiatric drug use. Does anyone in your family have this?

You might try adding whey protein isolate to your diet, it makes hair and nails very strong.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

ive had problems with my nails and hair, and problems with bruising, bleeding, cracking, and delayed healing.  sometimes i end up with injuries that i dont know how i got, probably because the tissue is so sensitive during some phases that i do not know that my normal activities are causing damages.  this can involve blood under my nails (but only rarely in lines like you mention), abnormal nail growth (brittle, or thick, or weirdly textured, or flattened, etc), and diabetic-looking nails (no crescent moon, red rim towards the fingertop, glossy and smooth nails with the fingers starting to get a tad clubbed), to be more precise about what resonated with me here.

as alto mentioned, i think you should see what happens if you try to pursue remedial actions.  resolving the problem is a good idea even if it is a withdrawal symptom, and seeing how it reacts to conventional treatments (withdrawal-safe ones, cautiously, of course) may give you clues as to the cause.  perhaps try to ddx with the other possible causes, or compile exclusory information to talk to a knowledgeable individual with.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

This is probably related more to diet or genetics than psychiatric drug use. Does anyone in your family have this?

You might try adding whey protein isolate to your diet, it makes hair and nails very strong.

No , nobody in my family has them, and i'm eating a healthy diet also. Hmm maybe not something because of withdrawal after all..

I have read about whey protein recently , supposed to increase glutathion as well. I might give it a try.

ive had problems with my nails and hair, and problems with bruising, bleeding, cracking, and delayed healing.  sometimes i end up with injuries that i dont know how i got, probably because the tissue is so sensitive during some phases that i do not know that my normal activities are causing damages.  this can involve blood under my nails (but only rarely in lines like you mention), abnormal nail growth (brittle, or thick, or weirdly textured, or flattened, etc), and diabetic-looking nails (no crescent moon, red rim towards the fingertop, glossy and smooth nails with the fingers starting to get a tad clubbed), to be more precise about what resonated with me here.

as alto mentioned, i think you should see what happens if you try to pursue remedial actions.  resolving the problem is a good idea even if it is a withdrawal symptom, and seeing how it reacts to conventional treatments (withdrawal-safe ones, cautiously, of course) may give you clues as to the cause.  perhaps try to ddx with the other possible causes, or compile exclusory information to talk to a knowledgeable individual with.

I'm having those red rims toward top of my fingernail as well , also for a while now. Never knew why , and I couldn't find something on the internet about it.

I would like to talk to a doctor about it. But because of past experiences with doctors , I'm reluctant to go with this problem. I'm almost certain they would disregard it as something not to worry about..

Effexor free for 36 months. Still on 25mg of Solian.

Tapering Xanax and on a dose of 0,15mg , splitted in four doses.

Last reductions:
9/06: 1.875%
7/07: 2.5%

22/07: 1.96%

Not really a symptom of withdrawl from what I was told, I got them the first time last February and panicked. I found that the most common cause of splinter hemorrhages is high dose or long term nsaid use...asprin, motril, or aleve which i was taking a lot of due to pain from an undiagnosed infection . It defiantly caused them for me...I have one right now and I've been hitting ibuprofen too hard due to body aches and pains (again).

Started klonopin 11/7/14 at 0.5 mg

on K consistently until week prior to Christmas

on/of Klonopin and 0.5 mg Xanax until 3rd week in February

tried c/t 3rd week in february, crashed hard, ER several times

1 mg klonopin last week in February until 2nd week in March

Quit Zoloft c/t 1st week of March 2015 & started Amitriptyline

Quit amitriptyline 2nd week in March & started Cymbalta

0.5 mg cut of Klonopin 2nd week in March

0.5 to 0 mg Klonopin taper March to June 2

off Klonopin since June 2

Stopped cymbalta august 24, started zoloft august 24

Seroquel taper from 75 to 0 over 12 days, last dose September 4.

Started Compazine Aug 12,  10 mg day

Stopped compazine aug 17, bad withdrawl

Started Remeron 3.75mg 10/12/15

Off Compazine 11/2/15

Off Zoloft 11/25/2015

Off Remeron 1/2/16

Brief encounter with Buspirone 1/13/16 - 1/18/16 2 tablets, bad reaction - severe depression

Tried Colonidine 1/14/16-1/20/16 - severe depression

Only Atenolol since 1/20/16

Reinstated Remeron 15mg 3/26/16

I'm having those red rims toward top of my fingernail as well , also for a while now. Never knew why , and I couldn't find something on the internet about it.

I would like to talk to a doctor about it. But because of past experiences with doctors , I'm reluctant to go with this problem. I'm almost certain they would disregard it as something not to worry about..

yeah, my doctors were entirely dismissive.  everything can look normal to someone who doesnt know anything about protracted withdrawal and who has never even seen you before, unless they are invested in your treatment and educated in their field of specialty.

one of the conditions you may want to look into is called "terry's nails" (or various other things), which is associated with things like diabetes.  it may be related to circulation problems, and, if i recall, had a specific connection to bilirubin in some situations.  you can check comparative nail change charts like this one: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0315/p1417.htmlbut not all guides or medical sources will agree on every symptom or detail, especially since they usually list only the most common presentations.

ive noticed all sorts of weird changes, periodically, but none of them seem particularly threatening.  it is more of a sign that something internal is not working right, and sometimes an inconvenience (like coarse, brittle hair that breaks off my face, for instance).

Not really a symptom of withdrawl from what I was told, I got them the first time last February and panicked. I found that the most common cause of splinter hemorrhages is high dose or long term nsaid use...asprin, motril, or aleve which i was taking a lot of due to pain from an undiagnosed infection . It defiantly caused them for me...I have one right now and I've been hitting ibuprofen too hard due to body aches and pains (again).

abnormal bleeding and hemorrhaging issues, abnormal clotting responses, and tissues that are more sensitive to bruising and other damages are side effects of using or withdrawing from psychotropics like antidepressants.  that is not (by far) the only thing that can cause them, and you noted what may be an even more common contribution to people experiencing this particular symptom.

at this point, im a pretty decent guinea pig for withdrawal manifestations---i do not travel, i eat the same foods on a consistent basis, i take no drugs whatsoever (and usually no supplements), i have almost no preceding medical history of systemic conditions, etc.  im working largely through correlation, and trying to heal regardless.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

I also have Terry's nails.  All the doctors around my hometown dismissed it, Mayo took one look and said "you've been really sick for a long time".   It can be caused by liver failure, cirrhosis, diabetes mellitus, congestive heart failure, hyperthyroidism, and/or malnutrition.  In my case I don't have any of the serious medical issues, haven't been able to put weight on, so I'm assuming its malnutrition due to my intestinal infection over the past 1.5 yrs.

Started klonopin 11/7/14 at 0.5 mg

on K consistently until week prior to Christmas

on/of Klonopin and 0.5 mg Xanax until 3rd week in February

tried c/t 3rd week in february, crashed hard, ER several times

1 mg klonopin last week in February until 2nd week in March

Quit Zoloft c/t 1st week of March 2015 & started Amitriptyline

Quit amitriptyline 2nd week in March & started Cymbalta

0.5 mg cut of Klonopin 2nd week in March

0.5 to 0 mg Klonopin taper March to June 2

off Klonopin since June 2

Stopped cymbalta august 24, started zoloft august 24

Seroquel taper from 75 to 0 over 12 days, last dose September 4.

Started Compazine Aug 12,  10 mg day

Stopped compazine aug 17, bad withdrawl

Started Remeron 3.75mg 10/12/15

Off Compazine 11/2/15

Off Zoloft 11/25/2015

Off Remeron 1/2/16

Brief encounter with Buspirone 1/13/16 - 1/18/16 2 tablets, bad reaction - severe depression

Tried Colonidine 1/14/16-1/20/16 - severe depression

Only Atenolol since 1/20/16

Reinstated Remeron 15mg 3/26/16

great scoop there.

i feel like i get them from antipsychotic-related symptoms, which mess with my circulation, insulin response, and other relevant factors.

doctors always say my bloodwork looks good (for as little as that is worth).  some conditions are not perspicuous unless they do continuous draws or look for the right things in the right ways.  and nobody has been very interested in figuring out why any symptoms exist, if one even gives the good graces of assuming any of them do.

brainpan addlepation

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy