Irvingkirsch

Irvingkirsch Luvox Withdrawal-What Should I Expect?

Irvingkirsch

Hi, I've been on Luvox for 3 or 4 years. I tapered down to 50 mg about a year ago and I'm currently taking about 3.5 mg. I've tapered down over 8 weeks. I'm about to stop taking it completeley next Wednesday. What can I expect in terms of withdrawal given the dose that I was on (50 mg) and the time I took to taper. How long will it take me to recover from the withdrawal effects?

Irvingkirsch

Hi, i've been on SSRI's for 23 years. 7 years ago, I developed severe chronic insomnia for the first time ever and my anxiety and depression became much worse. Is it possible that all these years of being on meds fried my receptors and that a break from medication will help me recover from this insomnia? Has anyone had experience with this?

KarenB

Hello Irvingkirsch,

How quickly did you taper down to the 50mg, then from what date did you start tapering down to 3.5mg?  If you've tapered from 50mg to 3.5mg in 8 weeks, then that is a very fast taper and could leave you with withdrawal symptoms. 

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dosage each month.  This allows your central nervous system time to adapt as you go.

Are you having any symptoms now?  They can last for months or years; it's very individual and depends on the rate of taper too.  Would you be able to write a signature with all your tapering details and dates?  Thanks, it really helps us whenever you post.   

Tips for tapering off Luvox

Have a read of those links, and then come back to this thread to discuss further what your next steps might be.  This will be your thread to record your tapering progress. 

Karen

Fresh

Hi Irving ,  welcome to the site.

Tapering from 50mg to 3.5mg over 8 weeks is pretty much the same as stopping cold turkey.  You can expect a long

difficult withdrawal over many many months.

From another of your posts today:

"08 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

Hi, i've been on SSRI's for 23 years. 7 years ago, I developed severe chronic insomnia for the first time ever and my anxiety and depression became much worse. Is it possible that all these years of being on meds fried my receptors and that a break from medication will help me recover from this insomnia? Has anyone had experience with this?"

Please fill in your signature so that we understand your complete drug history.

Bw ,  Fresh

InvisibleUnless

Hi, i've been on SSRI's for 23 years. 7 years ago, I developed severe chronic insomnia for the first time ever and my anxiety and depression became much worse. Is it possible that all these years of being on meds fried my receptors and that a break from medication will help me recover from this insomnia? Has anyone had experience with this?

I responded to this post before I saw that you had an intro thread and mentioned that you had begun quitting medications.  I will copy what I wrote that got rejected by SA because the post was moved to your intro thread before the reply was sent.  Others can help you with tapering advice, my post was mentioning that your suspected side effects are not unusual and that I can relate to them:

being on antidepressants and antipsychotics made my anxiety, depression, and insomnia worse than they had ever been before.  i went from a semi-functional human being with hobbies and a full time job to a person on disability who could not drive and stopped caring about life enough to even cook meals, watch movies, or have romantic relationships.

when i quit the medications, the anxiety and depression got better immediately.  they did not get better fully, and the insomnia got worse due to withdrawal, but all three have been healing over time now that i am trying to treat myself better, physically and psychologically.  i have been withdrawing for 5 years and you need to be extremely careful if you come to the conclusion that you do want to taper off these medications---an educated, cautious, slow taper is important.

everything you mention is listed in the medication side effects for SSRIs, and many people do experience those outcomes.  they do change your brain, in physical ways that you end up having emotional and physical side effects from, and if you quit and recover from them, you may indeed feel much, much better.  i cannot guarantee that, or be sure about what is contributing to your worsening problems, but all the doctors would do is speculate as well, unless tests for physical problems independent of medication side effects show you to have something like a hormonal disorder, tumor, or other issue.

a 'break' from medication is not really possible for most people.  not only would a temporary reduction or absence put you at risk of serious withdrawal symptoms, the physical changes that the drugs have caused in your brain will not switch back to 'normal' over a few days or weeks.  depending on how far your brain has adjusted in response to them and living life while taking them, getting back to a more functional state may take months or longer.  everyone responds a bit differently to psychotropics, withdrawal, and recovery methods.

please do not rush into any medication changes and become aware of the risks involved in downtapering as well as the side effects seen to result in some patients from short and long term use.  your receptors may be less functional, less present, altered in locational clustering, or subject to other kinds of changes from using SSRIs that end up feeding depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc.  we do not really know exactly how antidepressants and their induced dysfunction work, so saying exactly what has gone on or how long it will take to undo is not within our power.  in my opinion, and that of many persons who have discontinued antidepressants, you probably have a good shot at feeling better than you do now if you spent some time off the drugs, but how you spend some time away from them can make all the difference in whether things go well or go horribly wrong when you see how life is without SSRIs.

it should also be mentioned that anxiety, depression, and insomnia can all contribute to one another.  a destabilization of one can worsen the other two, and it can become a feedback loop.  having less awareness or control of this, due to lacking proper coping techniques or having medication side effects (like induced psychological states or disrupted ability to regulate your thoughts or behaviors) can increase the potency of that feedback loop.

Irvingkirsch

Hello Irvingkirsch,

How quickly did you taper down to the 50mg, then from what date did you start tapering down to 3.5mg?  If you've tapered from 50mg to 3.5mg in 8 weeks, then that is a very fast taper and could leave you with withdrawal symptoms. 

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dosage each month.  This allows your central nervous system time to adapt as you go.

Are you having any symptoms now?  They can last for months or years; it's very individual and depends on the rate of taper too.  Would you be able to write a signature with all your tapering details and dates?  Thanks, it really helps us whenever you post.   

Have a read of those links, and then come back to this thread to discuss further t your next steps might be.  This will be your thread to record your tapering progress. 

Karen

Hi Karen,

I tapered down to the 50 from 100 about a year ago. I went from 100 to 50 in about 8 weeks. I started tapering down from 50 on December 17th to be exact. Thanks for the tapering tips. I am having symptoms now. every time I go down by 3 or 6 mg my insomnia, which is already bad, gets worse for 3 or 4 days and my anxiety gets slightly worse. I just lost my job so I have to go off of it now, as this is the best and only time I can do it. I wish I could follow the 10% rule, but based on the size of the pill and the small dose I'm already on it wouldn't even be possible to reduce it physically by 10%

Irvingkirsch

I responded to this post before I saw that you had an intro thread and mentioned that you had begun quitting medications.  I will copy what I wrote that got rejected by SA because the post was moved to your intro thread before the reply was sent.  Others can help you with tapering advice, my post was mentioning that your suspected side effects are not unusual and that I can relate to them:

being on antidepressants and antipsychotics made my anxiety, depression, and insomnia worse than they had ever been before.  i went from a semi-functional human being with hobbies and a full time job to a person on disability who could not drive and stopped caring about life enough to even cook meals, watch movies, or have romantic relationships.

when i quit the medications, the anxiety and depression got better immediately.  they did not get better fully, and the insomnia got worse due to withdrawal, but all three have been healing over time now that i am trying to treat myself better, physically and psychologically.  i have been withdrawing for 5 years and you need to be extremely careful if you come to the conclusion that you do want to taper off these medications---an educated, cautious, slow taper is important.

everything you mention is listed in the medication side effects for SSRIs, and many people do experience those outcomes.  they do change your brain, in physical ways that you end up having emotional and physical side effects from, and if you quit and recover from them, you may indeed feel much, much better.  i cannot guarantee that, or be sure about what is contributing to your worsening problems, but all the doctors would do is speculate as well, unless tests for physical problems independent of medication side effects show you to have something like a hormonal disorder, tumor, or other issue.

a 'break' from medication is not really possible for most people.  not only would a temporary reduction or absence put you at risk of serious withdrawal symptoms, the physical changes that the drugs have caused in your brain will not switch back to 'normal' over a few days or weeks.  depending on how far your brain has adjusted in response to them and living life while taking them, getting back to a more functional state may take months or longer.  everyone responds a bit differently to psychotropics, withdrawal, and recovery methods.

please do not rush into any medication changes and become aware of the risks involved in downtapering as well as the side effects seen to result in some patients from short and long term use.  your receptors may be less functional, less present, altered in locational clustering, or subject to other kinds of changes from using SSRIs that end up feeding depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc.  we do not really know exactly how antidepressants and their induced dysfunction work, so saying exactly what has gone on or how long it will take to undo is not within our power.  in my opinion, and that of many persons who have discontinued antidepressants, you probably have a good shot at feeling better than you do now if you spent some time off the drugs, but how you spend some time away from them can make all the difference in whether things go well or go horribly wrong when you see how life is without SSRIs.

it should also be mentioned that anxiety, depression, and insomnia can all contribute to one another.  a destabilization of one can worsen the other two, and it can become a feedback loop.  having less awareness or control of this, due to lacking proper coping techniques or having medication side effects (like induced psychological states or disrupted ability to regulate your thoughts or behaviors) can increase the potency of that feedback loop.

Thank you so much for the respone!! This is exactly what I was looking for. It's really refreshing to hear from someone that has gone through the same thing I have. I may have only tapereed down over 8 weeks, but I tapered from such a low dose that I feel like I'll probably struggle for 3 weeks to a month and after that I may have odd physical withdrawals, but I'll be able to manage. Thank you again!

Irvingkirsch

Irvingkirsch

Hello Irvingkirsch,

Have a read of those links, and then come back to this thread to discuss further what your next steps might be.  This will be your thread to record your tapering progress. 

Karen

Hi, I forgot to ask. Since 50 mg is a sub-therapeutic dose dose and that is where I started my taper 8 weeks ago, do you think the possibility of a long, protraced withdrawal is less likely? Anytime I've tapered off a drug before I tapered much quicker and from high doses so I really have nothing to compare this to personally. Of course those previous tapers did not work out well, as I'm still on an SSRI. However, I was ablet o get off Wellbutrin and trazodone with 8-week tapers and I really  had no problems with those 

Fresh

"Hi, I've been on Luvox for 3 or 4 years."

"Hi, i've been on SSRI's for 23 years."

" I was ablet o get off Wellbutrin and trazodone with 8-week tapers and I really  had no problems with those "

Irving , if you want help you need to be up front with your drug history.

Please fill in your signature including ALL medications you've taken , dates , dosages etc.

Instructions are here:  

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

There is no real "sub-therapeutic dose".  

A therapeutic dose is a term created by pharmaceutical companies to describe the smallest dose they make the drug

in.  If someone has tapered down to 0.05 mg , then that dose is therapeutic for them.

Usually the smaller the dose , the more difficult the w/d can be.

Try reading:

Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

and

What is withdrawal syndrome?

KarenB

Hi Irvingkirsch,

In addition to Fresh's explanation, it's worth knowing that each upset to your Central Nervous System is cumulative.  So each taper is likely to be worse than the ones before, due to the added stress to an already sensitive system.

So you need to take extra care this time. 

You can get the smaller doses you need for a 10% taper by making a liquid.  Instructions in the link I gave you above.  It can seem a bit daunting at first, but most people get the hang of it just fine and it really is worth doing. 

It is very possible that the drugs caused you these additional problems.  Personally my depression got way worse on antidepressants, and they also gave me my first ever anxiety attacks.  Since lowering my dose I've had a lot of relief from those issues.  Sleep seems to be another kettle of fish (well, for me anyway).  It can really come and go as your system tries to find normal again.  For most people it resolves in the end, but doesn't seem to do so quickly. 

We have quite a lot of discussion about insomnia here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/555-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-withdrawal-insomnia/

For now, I think you'd be wise to hold at your current dose for at least a month to ensure stabilisation before attempting the last phase of your taper. 

Karen

Irvingkirsch

Hi, I took my last dose of luvox, which has practically the same half-life as Paxil, about 70 hours ago. I haven't felt any severe withdrawal symptoms yet as a result of discontinuing my 3 mg dose. I had tapered down to 3 mg over 8 weeks and stopped it 70 hours ago. When should I expect to start sweating, shaking, and basically losing my mind? Thanks in advance.

KarenB

Merged topics as it's one intro thread per member.  Each time you want to discuss something, just reply to this thread.  Thanks, Karen

Irvingkirsch

Merged topics as it's one intro thread per member.  Each time you want to discuss something, just reply to this thread.  Thanks, Karen

Hi, I asked a completeley different question? Why would you merge these two completely different questions with different headings? That honestly makes no sense.

Irvingkirsch

Hi, I took my last dose of luvox, which has practically the same half-life as Paxil, about 70 hours ago. I haven't felt any severe withdrawal symptoms yet as a result of discontinuing my 3 mg dose. I had tapered down to 3 mg over 8 weeks and stopped it 70 hours ago. When should I expect to start sweating, shaking, and basically losing my mind? Thanks in advance.

SkyBlue

Well, hopefully you won't!  :)

I'm responding in terms of Paxil. On Paxil I have problems within 12 hours of a dose reductions, always within 72 hours.

Irvingkirsch

Well, hopefully you won't!  :)

I'm responding in terms of Paxil. On Paxil I have problems within 12 hours of a dose reductions, always within 72 hours.

Have you ever gone off either Paxil or Luvox entirely? I have experienced the typical dose reduction insomnia, but that's it so far. I'm sure I'm in for 3 to 6 weeks of horrible withdrawal, but so far I'm just waiting.

brassmonkey

Hi Irving-- each member has a thread in the introductions forum that they use as a journal to keep records of what they do and experience.  It is also for asking questions specific to their particular situation.  It keeps all the information in one place so it is easier for the member to keep track of and easier for the moderation staff to see what is going on so they can offer the best advise they can.  It helps to keep the site organized and easier for everyone to use.

ChessieCat

Hi Irving and welcome to SA,

Finding out what happens to the brain when we take ADs helped me to understand why a slow taper is recommended here.  These might help you too.

Video: Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery

Brain Remodelling

Also, slow tapering helps to keep the withdrawal symptoms to a minimum so that we can try to live as normally as possible.  It's not about trying to tough it out.  I recently attempted a drop from 100 mg to 50 mg of Pristiq and spend 2 weeks with an extremely foggy head and even had trouble typing.  The bit out typing might sound trivial but I am a professional typist with a current speed of 70+wpm with 100% accuracy.  My brain and my fingers just weren't making a connection.  After I updosed to 75 mg within a few hours my head cleared and I was able to type okay again.

As for what you can expect, nobody can say.  You might find this Withdrawal Symptoms List interesting.  There are some things on this list that people wouldn't even consider being related to AD WD in a million years.

You might want to consider reinstating - this is the information on reinstating.  Some else might be able to suggest whether you would go back to the last dose or try a smaller dose.

CC

nz11

Welcome Irving.

You wouldn't happen to be an author would you ?

Been reading a book recently called the Emperor's new drugs by Irving Kirsch.

It's been very informative.

nz11

coldturkmama

Took me almost a month before withdrawal hit full force after quitting cold turkey. I remember thinking I'd won.....not so much.

Irvingkirsch

Took me almost a month before withdrawal hit full force after quitting cold turkey. I remember thinking I'd won.....not so much.

Oh Jesus, did you stop any other medications within a few weeks of dropping the paxil or luvox? What were your symptoms?

Irvingkirsch

Welcome Irving.

You wouldn't happen to be an author would you ?

Been reading a book recently called the Emperor's new drugs by Irving Kirsch.

It's been very informative.

nz11

No, my name isn't acutally Irving Kirsch, but he's really the first reputable doctor to campaign against the use of antidepressants. Check out the interview with him on 60 Minutes. 

Irvingkirsch

This is a timeline of my  taper and the withdrawal symtpms that followed. I'm going to update this every day if possible to hopefully help others in the future. I was on 50 mg of luvox and tapered down to nothing over the course of 8 weeks. 

Starting Dose: 50 MG

Day 1: 37.5

Day 7: 31.25

Day 8: 25.25

Day 16: 22.25

Day 23:19.25

Day 30:13.25

Day 44: 10 

Day 51:3

Day 59:0

**At All the doses above I felt depersonalization that began on the night after reducting my dose. this lasted for 3 days. I felt my insomnia worsen the night after each dose reduction that sometimes lessend after a week and sometimes didn't. DAy 16 to Day 30, I experienced an increase in suicidal thoughts. At 10 mg and below, I began to have trouble focusing my eyes for about 5 days after each drop in dose

After Stopping Dose

Day 1: Deprersonalization,insomnia-not any worse than when I dropped doses previously

Day 2: Depersonalization, insomnia-not any worse than when I dropped doses previously

Day 3: Sleep onset insomnia basically tripled, going from 1 hour needed to fall asleep to 3 hours-this could have been due to late night computer usage

nz11

Thanks Irving ...found it....here

Check out the pharma propaganda at12.30.

apace41

Hi, I asked a completeley different question? Why would you merge these two completely different questions with different headings? That honestly makes no sense.

Irving,

Welcome to SA.  The only real difference between the two questions Karen merged was one was asked prior to stopping and the other was asked afterwards.

It is important for the site and for you that we keep all of the same information about a particular poster in the same place.  Karen was just keeping things cleaned up.

Hope you can appreciate that.

Andy

nz11

IK have you had any thoughts about reinstating because that is one fast taper schedule you have advised of in the tapering threads. I just read it.

It would be great if you could put it all into your drug signature

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature to help the moderators.

When should I expect to start sweating, shaking, and basically losing my mind? Thanks in advance.

Wdl can be delayed for several months but after 23 yrs use my guess is maybe sooner rather than later.

You really dont want to do this to yourself. I understand the desire to  just tough it out but wdl has the ability to drop the strongest of wills to the floor.

What can I expect in terms of withdrawal given the dose that I was on (50 mg) and the time I took to taper. How long will it take me to recover from the withdrawal effects?

Sometimes i think English is a language that falls short in some areas and one of those is the selection of adjectives which are available .

To describe something really bad in English we dont have a lot of words available there is generally just one word. It starts with H and ends in L .It has 4 letters.

It can take years to recover from a too fast taper.

Let me put this in perspective for you. I dont know if you have read any links given so far but you tapered off 50 mg in 2 months.

If you followed the recommendations here for tapering it would take about 39 months to do that.

Irvingkirsch

IK have you had any thoughts about reinstating because that is one fast taper schedule you have advised of in the tapering threads. I just read it.

It would be great if you could put it all into your drug signature

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature to help the moderators.

When should I expect to start sweating, shaking, and basically losing my mind? Thanks in advance.

Wdl can be delayed for several months but after 23 yrs use my guess is maybe sooner rather than later.

You really dont want to do this to yourself. I understand the desire to  just tough it out but wdl has the ability to drop the strongest of wills to the floor.

What can I expect in terms of withdrawal given the dose that I was on (50 mg) and the time I took to taper. How long will it take me to recover from the withdrawal effects?

Sometimes i think English is a language that falls short in some areas and one of those is the selection of adjectives which are available .

To describe something really bad in English we dont have a lot of words available there is generally just one word. It starts with H and ends in L .It has 4 letters.

It can take years to recover from a too fast taper.

Let me put this in perspective for you. I dont know if you have read any links given so far but you tapered off 50 mg in 2 months.

If you followed the recommendations here for tapering it would take about 39 months to do that.

Hi, I'm on day 5. It is now taking me double to triple the amount of time to fall asleep. Other than that, I'm not feeling any withdrawal symptoms that are any different than what I felt each time I lowered my dose. I once went off a high dose of parante in about a month and it was the worst experience of my life. I had severe back pain, depression, and anxiety. I ended up in the ER. I literally couldn't focus my eyes for about a year. It took me about 18 months before I could even talk to people without gasping for air. In comparison to that experience, this has been really mild. I was on such a low dose of Luvox that it's probably not much of a major adjustment for my brain.

Irvingkirsch

Day 4 No Luvox: Nothing different from the withdrawal symptoms I felt while tapering. Took me over 2 hours to fall asleep. I usually fall asleep within an hour when not tapering Luvox

KarenB

Hi IK,

I've moved topics you started in the Tapering and Symptoms forums to your intro thread because they were specifically about your situation.  The other forums are for discussion about more general situations.  I know it's a bit tricky when you are just finding your way around here - I had stuff moved when I first got here too. 

Karen

Irvingkirsch

Hi IK,

I've moved topics you started in the Tapering and Symptoms forums to your intro thread because they were specifically about your situation.  The other forums are for discussion about more general situations.  I know it's a bit tricky when you are just finding your way around here - I had stuff moved when I first got here too. 

Karen

I don't think you understand what you are doing to be honest. I'm trying to post helpful information about a particular topic (luvox withdrawal) so that people in the future can use it as a reference point to understand their own symptoms and what they should expect. The only way for people to access that information in the future is by locating a specific heading that denotes the information that they are looking for. Unforutnately, you have removed this heading and this information can't be accessed by people in the future. Do you realize how many people you are ultimately denying access to helpful information? 

Irvingkirsch

Hi IK,

Karen

Glad you are doing your part to ruin the internet for everyone

Petunia

Hi Irving,

I'm sorry you have been upset by having your posts moved, but we have a structure to the way we organize this site and it actually works well.

Each person has one introduction topic, usually with their drug or specific situation in the title, so that comes up in searches. Your introduction topic is like one case study of one person in withdrawal from luvox with your details, history and updates all together in one place. This enables us to give you the best possible advice because we can take everything into consideration.

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Its a good idea to bookmark it or follow it, so its easy to find again.

If you start a new topic about something we already have a topic on, in symptoms or tapering, it will eventually be merged with our existing topic, so as to keep all the information together. If you are looking for an answer to a specific question or information about a symptom or supplement, the chances are, we have a lot of information about it already which you could benefit from. 

When you have a question or comment about a specific symptom, supplement or treatment, please search to see if we already have a related topic, we usually do.  Then you can benefit from previously collected information and add to the discussion.  This keeps the site organized with all available knowledge in one thread, easily accessible through searches.

The search function on this site doesn't work very well.  The best way to search this site for specific information  is to use your favorite search engine. Type in survivingantidepressants.org then the symptom, treatment, supplement or information you wish to search for.

If after searching, you can't find what you're looking for, please start a new topic.

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

When we have a few more details of your drug and tapering history, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions. Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Petunia.

Altostrata

Hello, Irving. We move your posts so we don't have to answer your questions multiple times in various places. Keeping your account of your tapering experience in one thread also saves you the trouble of recounting your entire recent history every time you start a new thread asking a question about your situation.

This also keeps your tapering account together in one place as a kind of case history so other people can follow it in the future.

ang

Hi Irving,    how are you doing?    I am worried about you, going off the drugs Cold Turkey.            I did that, I tapered over 3 months, now I realise, 18 months later, that was a bad move........   but I am surviving!   Trouble is, I was off the pills for about 6 months, before the horrors of Withdrawal happened, and it was too late, reinstating didnt work for me.

If you feel rotten, you still have the option of reinstating a small amount to help you through............

do let us know how you are getting on.

And most of all WELCOME!!!!!

Irvingkirsch

Hi Irving,    how are you doing?    I am worried about you, going off the drugs Cold Turkey.            I did that, I tapered over 3 months, now I realise, 18 months later, that was a bad move........   but I am surviving!   Trouble is, I was off the pills for about 6 months, before the horrors of Withdrawal happened, and it was too late, reinstating didnt work for me.

If you feel rotten, you still have the option of reinstating a small amount to help you through............

do let us know how you are getting on.

And most of all WELCOME!!!!!

Hi, I don't think I'm any worse off than I was when I was tapering down. Was there anything that changed fro you after you had been 6 months free of luvox. Did you stop any other substances at that point? Do you have bipolar at all? It took me 3 hours to fall asleep initially for about a week when it normally takes me about an hour. I had some waves of nausea for a couple days that were brief. That's about all I've experienced. I tapered from such a low dose and it clearly wasn't doing anything so I don't think it was much of an adjustment for my body. I once withrew from Parnate and it messed me up for like two years. I've gone off many drugs over the years and this has been the easiest experience.