CMZ18: How to taper 5mg Lexapro...

CMZ18

I would like to lower my lexapro to 3.75 (3/4 of the pill). I don't want to fully come off of it until I'm off Valium for about a few months.

My question is does anyone know if tapering this way is ok...

Day1-5mg

Day2-3.75mg

Day3-5mg

Day4-3.75mg

Day5-5mg

Day6-3.75mg

Day7-5mg

Then the next week I would take 3.75 daily

Is it ok to alternate days while tapering? Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome CMZ,

I'm glad you checked in before beginning your taper.  Alternating doses is actually a very bad way to reduce your amount.  They say it's like playing ping-pong with your brain - ouch!  Your Central Nervous System can get really destabilised, and that makes any future tapering more difficult.

We recommend a much gentler taper, reducing by no more than 10% of your current dose each month.  This allows your brain time to adjust as you go, and lessens any withdrawal.  Also:  Tips for Tapering Lexapro has instructions on getting accurate small doses.

Would you be able to fill out a signature - drugs, dates etc, so we can help you more accurately?  How long have you been on both Lexapro and Valium? 

So have a read of those links, and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This will be your journal to record all your tapering stuff, and ask questions. 

Good to have you here,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.