Beachgirl26: Need info, amitriptyline withdrawal

Beachgirl26

Hi, I'm new here. I was started on amitriptyline several months ago, at 10mg per day. It was increased to 25mg for about the last two or three months. It sounds like a very low dose compared to some people, but I'm very sensitive to most pharmaceuticals. I decided to go off of it but am having a hard time. 

First of all, does ami (and drugs like it) suppress the immune system? I got sicker than I've been in a very long time starting a few weeks ago. It seemed to be strep plus a sinus infection plus an ear infection. The doc put me on 500mg amoxicillin three times a day for five days; it got a little better but came right back after the course of amoxicilin. Another antibiotic seems to have helped a bit more. I noticed when I forgot to take my amitriptyline, I seemed to feel better. When I tried going off it altogether there seemed to be more progress toward getting well. 

The antidepressant didn't really help me feel any happier, it was more like I was anesthetized to the negativity around me, and a difficult situation at work. Things reached a tipping point for me on Saturday and I just turned in my notice via email. I don't have another job lined up, no savings; the plan is to just leave the area as well as my job. I'm pretty isolated, no friends thanks to my work schedule and general lack of $$. I have two cats I love, but will need to give them up. 

I'm really sliding and feel like I need someone to talk to, but there's no one. Is there any way to ease this? Should I be taking ami maybe 10mg every other day or something like that? How does one taper off?

I don't feel like I can talk to my doctor about this. How have others eased going off ami?

~Beachgirl26

Prescribed 10mg amitriptyline 8/2015

Upped to 25mg on 11/12/2015

Stopped during an illness late Jan/early Feb 2016

Restarted, then went to 3/4 pill 25mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beachgirl and welcome to s/a,

There is a way to ease this - we recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose each month. This allows your brain to adjust as you go, and lessens any withdrawal symptoms.  Skipping days or doses isn't a good idea - it unsettles your Central Nervous System too much.  You are probably right about not feeling you can talk to your doctor - they generally don't understand withdrawal. 

Here are Tips for Tapering Amitriptline

Many people find Fish oil and magnesium useful during withdrawal.  SSRIs and SSNIs in general do lower our natural immune function, but it can be restored again.

Would you be able to fill out a signature – drugs/dates/dosages etc - so we can see your situation easily whenever you post, and help you more accurately?  What amount are you on right now?  It might be better to get you stabilised before embarking on any further tapering. 

Have a read those and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This will be your journal to record your tapering and healing progress, and to ask questions. 

There will be lots of support for you here,

Hugs,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you! I've been off the pills altogether for a few days and am crying and miserable. I couldn't find any information online about tapering off amitriptyline! Thank you for the link. I can start taking two 10mg tabs instead of a 25mg for awhile then cut down from there. 

In the meantime will try to find someone I can talk to about all this.

~C

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beachgirl , welcome.  

The quickest way to feel better is to go back onto the dose you were taking up till 3 days ago i.e. 25mg.

Even restarting at 20mg is a 20% decrease , and you could expect withdrawal symptoms.

If you only have 10mg tabs , take 2 1/2 tablets.   The most important thing is to stop the withdrawal

developing further.

After you have stabilized on 25mg , you should wait around 6 weeks after this hiccup before beginning

a slow steady taper.   

It takes 4 days to reach a steady-state in your blood-stream , so there's no miracle quick-fix.  Hopefully

you'll begin to notice some decrease in symptoms within hours.

Once you're less distressed , start to look around the site.  We have all the resources here you need to

get through this.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

If you click FOLLOW at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts here.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you for your response, Fresh! I felt somewhat better after taking the two 10mg tabs last night but feeling nervous and depressed as of today. So I think you're right, going back on the 25mg dose for now might be best. 

I have qualms about going back to that because of how sick I got while on it. Any way to boost the immune system while on amitriptyline? I sure can't afford to get sick *now*!

I actually have a job interview for tomorrow, as well as a visit to a local counseling clinic that is sliding scale. I have stopped thinking of just going away, and of giving up my cats. They are my life! I've located a church (New Age-y kind) where I hope to meet some people and maybe start to build some sort of support system. I feel very raw...the veterinarian I worked for won't let me work out a two-week notice and doesn't give references. I am glad to be out of the negative situation I was in there, but I feel for the house cats who remain living at that clinic and the ones he treats while under the influence. I don't know what can be done. Filing a complaint with the state board is usually for clients not ex-employees. It would be the word of a cattery manager vs. a veterinarian too. The clinic has been struggling financially for a very long time, so it may well go under before long. 

Thank you again for your help!

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you are going to stabilise on the 25mg before making further decisions.

I work on my immune system at the dietary level - no white sugar or flour, coffee or alcohol.  Plenty of fruit and veges; soaked grains, nuts and seeds; sourdough bread etc.  You could consider a quality vitamin C - but start at a low dose and see how it pans out for you. 

You've seen the recommendation for magnesium and fish oil in a post above.  Other foods popular with people on this site include apple-cider-vinegar and coconut oil. 

And of course sleeping plenty helps too.  Have a look through the symptoms and self-care forum for lots of other ideas on keeping healthy in w/d.

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, all. I posted before, on trying to go off amitriptyline. I went off it altogether when I got very sick (strep/sinus infection/ear infection). I went back on 25mg and the swelling in my throat and sore throat came right back, as did the problem hearing out of my right ear. I decided to try to cut back, and have been cutting the pills and taking 3/4 of one each night. The throat and ear problems seem a bit more manageable. I haven't had other problems (mood and depression) come back just yet, even with everything going on. 

I've had a spate of job interviews and just got hired at one today. It pays less than what I was making before but I think I can hang on for now. I'm using binaural beats with affirmations, and just trying to stop myself from letting negative thoughts get very far. It feels like the weight of the world is off my shoulders since leaving the toxic situation of my last job. It still bugs me that I worked so hard, went above and beyond over and over, and the boss still did what he usually does when someone quits--he fires you and won't give a reference. I've been trying to think of what I could do to start a business myself, be my own boss.

How long do you think I should stay at this level before cutting down to say, 1/2 a pill? Any way to ease the throat swelling and ear problem...?

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Going from one pill to 3/4 was quite a big drop (25% compared to the 10% we recommend here) so I'd be inclined to give it at least two months before considering another reduction. 

Making notes of your symptoms will help you make a more accurate decision.  If things are still feeling unsettled then wait further.  Your body is the best guide.  Even just giving each day a rating out of 10 can help you see how things are progressing.

8 month hold.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beachgirl.

I joined your new topic with your original one, its one intro/update thread per member. You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Its a good idea to bookmark it or follow it, so its easy to find again.

Congratulations on getting another job, that must be a relief after what you went through.

As Karen wrote, while I was typing here, you have been making a lot of changes to your medication recently and now this big cut from your original dose, this can be very destabilizing to the nervous system. But it seem that you are having an adverse reaction to the drug also, so its going to be a matter of reducing slowly enough not to incur withdrawal, but taking into consideration the side effects you are experiencing. You wrote that they are tolerable now at this dose of the drug?

But I'm not exactly sure how much you are taking now. Are you taking 3/4 of one 10mg pill a day? That would be 7.5mg, right?  Please would you update your signature with the dose you are taking now.

Here is a list of the potential side effects of amytriptyline, and what you have described is listed:  http://www.drugs.com/sfx/amitriptyline-side-effects.html

It can take a while for withdrawal symptoms to emerge, sometimes several weeks, up to months, so I suggest you hold where you are right now and give yourself some time to see if withdrawal symptoms arise and to  let yourself settle down with the dose and also to get adjusted to your new job. Then as long as you are not having any withdrawal symptoms, perhaps in  4 - 6 weeks you could begin a slow, safe taper.

Read back through your thread here, a lot of links and information have been posted for you.

Especially this one:  Here are Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I'm taking about 3/4 of the 25mg tabs. I say "about," maybe a bit more than 3/4. It's hard to be precise cutting the pills. But yes, the throat swelling is less with the smaller dose and I can sleep better (was having to get up and cough, or clear my throat to breathe better). I'm trying to stay alert or any mood changes and try to stop myself from sliding into a depression, as I really don't want to go up on the dose again. 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Can amitriptyline cause a false positive on a drug screen?

Hi, all. Well, the good news is I got a job recently. Having a drug screen was part of the onboarding process, the kind where you put a swab in your mouth for a few minutes. I saw it come up positive for *something* but not what; the woman quickly stuck it in the garbage and went on with the paperwork. No one has said a thing. Do drug screens normally test for antidepressants...? I have never taken any kind of illegal drug so it's been puzzling me. On a web search, I found one site that alleged it can come up as a false positive for LSD, is that true???!?

I have been offered a job with a slightly higher rate of pay ($10/hr instead of $8) but they also have a pre-employment drug screen. I'm not sure whether this employer would just look the other way; the company I've been working for recently is really hurting for workers, hence the swift consignment of my drug screen to the trash. 

Should I tell the employer I'm taking amitriptyline prior to the drug screen...? Or tell someone at LabCorp (the company that does their drug tests) at the time I take the screen, if I go ahead with this?

Thanks....

Edited by Petunia
New topic merged with original intro, title added.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beachgirl,

I joined your new topic with your original intro/update thread. Its one intro thread per member in this section. You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Its a good idea to bookmark it or follow it, so its easy to find again.

Congratulations on the new job :)

Its true that amitriptyline can cause a false positive for LSD - http://alwaystestclean.com/false-positive-drug-test-medication/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard back from a prospective employer, after having a drug screen. I'm still on amitriptyline, and have read of more than one thing it can cause a false positive for. 

What can you do, if it doesn't seem like the employer, or the company handling the drug screen, is willing to retest or look at my prescription...? 

Think I could/should switch antidepressants to one less likely to show up a false positive...? Or just hurry the the tapering process?

I don't want to lose another shot at a better job.

Edited by KarenB
merged topics

Wow thats an interesting link Petu. Ive never seen such a link before.

oh my what a long list.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

I would first enquire with the employer since you haven't heard from them.  Find out first if that was the issue.  Since you don't know what has happened, it makes no sense to base decisions on speculations.  Switching to another AD is far too risky a proposition, since a new one won't necessarily negate withdrawal from the old one.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

It will show on a urine test, only if they have ads on the test, if they don't then your good. When I was in treatment the had a specific line for antidepressants, some do and some don't. I can't see a company not hiring because an ad showed up on a test, but do not switch to a different one, they will all show no matter which one your on. I would call the company and just check in. Ali

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Beachgirl,

I've merged your new Intro into your old Intro, as it's one intro thread per member.  Please just reply to this topic whenever you post.  Thanks,
Karen.

8 month hold.

I was curious if anyone here has tried switching from an Rx antidepressant to St John's Wort, and if so, what was the transition like, and can you switch from say my 25mg amitriptyline one night to St John's Wort the next. I'm mulling that over because of the side effects of the amitriptyline, and being afraid the amitriptyline might actually have cost me a job (In a drug screen...haven't heard back from the employer since, though I've called and emailed). 

Years ago, I tried a St John's Wort tincture for depression, and I remember it did make me feel better. I don't remember the name of the company, just that the bottle had dark green lettering on a yellow label. Should've thought of using it this time, though a big reason for trying a TCA was that I'd read it helps with arthritis pain. It hasn't helped, at least as much as I had hoped. 

Thanks

Sorry, didn't see this post until after I'd posted re St John's Wort. Hoping my thinking will clear up once off ami!

Be careful switching meds, it could possibly make things worse and take longer to heal.

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Years ago, I tried a St John's Wort tincture for depression, and I remember it did make me feel better. I don't remember the name of the company, just that the bottle had dark green lettering on a yellow label. Should've thought of using it this time, though a big reason for trying a TCA was that I'd read it helps with arthritis pain. It hasn't helped, at least as much as I had hoped. 

Thanks

If anything, SJW is more like an SSRI.  Please read:

St. John's Wort

I would NOT try to substitute it for an antidepressant.  It may be helpful for some people who are trying to treat mild depression without using antidepressants, never having taken an AD, but for those already on ADs, this would likely go sideways.  We generally don't recommend switching from one to another as it is yet another way to cause destabilization and increase sensitivity.  And, they are not interchangeable; the SJW won't cancel out withdrawal from the amitriptyline.  Last of all, there is no good way to know what dose of SJW, if using a standardized extract, would be an equivalent to the amount of amitriptyline you are on.   The last thing you want to do is get the new job but then be so incapacitated by WD that you can't work!

I've also seen reference here on SA to the fact that those using SJW as an alternative to ADs have to taper it as well!

I still think you need to ask about the reason you didn't receive the job, if that is actually the case.  I know a lot of employers take a long time to make decisions!  I'd just politely follow up with them since you hadn't heard back.  If they say they hired someone else, perhaps you could then inquire further about if there was an issue with your drug test.  I think you need to know one way or the other because this is causing you great worry, perhaps unnecessarily.  If you get your answer, that it was the drug test, then you can revisit whether switching would be a wise choice.

Otherwise, we still advise that you stick with the devil you know and do the slow taper.  There are many here on SA that have to accept that although they are dying to come off faster, they must take it slowly or suffer.  When you choose a path that causes suffering, there isn't much we can do for you other than encourage reinstatement or offer support in the way of self-care to make getting through the hard times a little easier.

Once in awhile, someone will have to taper off quickly because they are suffering adverse reactions to the med that are unacceptable to tolerate.  They will have to trade withdrawal for the adverse reactions, though.  

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi beachgirl,

I too wanted to go he fast route and had to surrender to the wisdom of the members here - and most of all to my body. 

I am older, so time is of the essence to me, but I will be patient, because I want this done, and never go back - oh, and I too took meds due to a bad job. well, pills do not cure depression due to a crappy job, and trust me, mine is bad. :/
Hang in there, go and ask them. 

You can do this. I am only on day 18! 

Getting off Amitriptyline 25 mg, on 12.5 mg now. 50 mg to 25 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg, currently 30 mg/day for 15 days. Decided to cut open remaining 60 mg capsules and take the little tablets inside. 6 = 30 mg. If need be, I can up the dosage, but aside from a bit of toe pain I am ok.UPDATE: >>>>> Amitriptyline 25 mg 1992- ??? ----- 50 mg until March 21, 2016. 2016 - then 25 mg <<<<<went to 20 mg of Amitriptyline, and down 5 tiny tabs of Cymbalta. (less than 30 mg now. cut Klonopin to 1/4 mg now. Trazadone 50 mg 4/14/16Variety of ADs, Buspar, Effexor, Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin (to quit smoking. Success!) Cymbalta, Klonopin from '95 to present.Norco (Vicodin or Hydrocodone) '92 to 2014 - cold turkey - minor issuesHad 1 day with withdrawal symptoms - dealing mostly with Side Effects. April 7, 2016: now taking Ami 12.5 and Cymbalta 30 mg. (in bead form) still 1/2 mg Klonopin. Melatonin 10 mg (have been for years). 1 Trazadone 50 mg for sleep. Amino Acids, Omega 3,6 and 9 w/DHA. Turmeric and Ibuprofen for pain,Tramadol, 50 mg, as needed (PRN) - take maybe 1 per day for Fibro pain. Had one day of very swollen calves and ankles, one day of lumps on calves, all better. Today the toes, lasted 2 hrs, now gone. Important to note I am getting off these drugs BECAUSE of multiple side effects. BM much better, I have an appetite and crave healthy foods again. More energy, but not nervous. Sleeping great, much easier to rise, ok with 7 hrs/sleep, used to need 9 or 10.No burning toes 2nd day. Doing well so far. 4/14/16. legs, ankles still an issue, but less so. <p>
4/21/16.>>>> went to 4 tablets Cymbalta and 15 mg Ami and cut Klonpin to 1/8.
UPDATE: 5/5/16 - 15 mg Amitriptyline, 3 tablet Cymbalta (there are 12 in a 60 mg capsule,) very little Klonopin, 50 mg Trazadone, 10 mg Melatonin, Inositol and Ashwagandha. Tramadol PRN.
---- feeling great - no addl. symptoms , only 3 times something like you all list here. leg/ankle swelling still an issue, but not so much-----

6/5/2016 - All done, except for Trazadone. 50mg/nt is all. It is next, in a couple of months. No more Tramadol either - that was unintentionally, but hey, I am not complaining. I am using Kratom once or twice daily.

6/13/2016 - 25 mg of trazadone. 
Doctor is happy for me how well this is all going. :) Almost done with it all!!

Thank you for your responses. I finally heard back from the prospective employer and I DO have the job!! Don't know why it took awhile for them to let me know; today's Friday and I'm supposed to start on Monday. The drug test results should've been back by Wednesday. Well, whatever the case I'm starting the new job and I'll continue the amitriptyline tapering. You're all right, I wouldn't want to start a new job in the state I was in after I'd gone off ami altogether (back when I got sick). Easy does it for me. 

If I had the energy I'd be bouncing off the walls I'm so happy to have snagged this job. :) Thank you all so much for helping me get through such a bad time!!!!

Hugs

Hi Beachgirl,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier! I've been on trycyclics for the last 35 years, amitryptiline for about the last 20 years. Recently I figured out that the amitryptiline had gone paradoxical on me and I had to cold turkey it (from a low dose of 12.5 mg). Currently I am on only .275 mg (I titrate it in water) and am doing really well. Considering that you haven't been on the drug that long, you should be able to get off without too many issues. I would go 25 to 18.75 to 12.5, then switch to 10 mg. pill, then 7.5, 5, 2.5, then titrate down from there. Don't skip days, not a good idea (even though doctors always recommend it!)

I'm also not a huge fan of St. John's wort or other herbal drugs--for one thing, the potency can be all over the place!

Great to hear you have a new job! You can do this and be just fine.

Sarah

1975--first signs of depression

1981--started on imipramine (Tofranil) for IBS and depression

1983-1986--severe depression, rotated through several drugs, on MAOI for one year, eventually back to tricyclics

1986-1994--chronic low grade depression, on tricyclics

1994-96--severe depression, rotated through several drugs inc. Prozax, Effexor, etc..

1996-2013--chronic low grade depression, SAD, on amitryptiline usual dose 12.5-25mg

flurazepam (Dalmane) as needed for insomnia

2013--developed temazepam (Restoril) dependance for 2 months, tapered off over 1 month

started bio-identical progesterone 5 mg., depression has lifted completely to this day

March 2016--forced to c/t both amitryptiline and flurazepam, zolpidem not helpful

reinstated small dose (.5 mg) amitryptiline due to stomach issues and tapering w/titration

June 19th--jumped from amitryptiline--drug free!

• Moderator Emeritus

Woohoo!! Congratulations!  So proud of you for checking up on the situation!  Imagine if you hadn't and they had somehow been expecting you on Monday LOL!

Our imaginations can really cause us a lot of suffering, yes?  So happy you had a happy ending!

SG

...Was this a sample of serotonin syndrome...?

The day before I started my new job, I got sick again. It feels like another sinus infection. I started taking Mucinex DM, maximum strength (12-hr., extended-release). I forgot to take my amitriptyline night before last, but seemed ok the next day. Then last night, took another Mucinex DM at about 7pm, and 1/2 an amitriptyline 25mg pill (since the ami seemed to worsen being sick, last time) at about 10pm. 

I woke up in the middle of the night feeling very bad--swimmy-headed, but not like I've ever experienced dizziness before. My heart was beating pretty fast. I took several activated charcoal capsules, since I thought it might have something to do with the drug combination. I fell asleep pretty fast after that but woke up ok (though coughing and hacking once again). 

So I've learned 1) never trust what a Walmart pharmacist tells you is ok to take with ami, and 2) I can take either the Mucinex or the ami when I get sick--but not both. Once the Mucinex is out of my system I can start back on the ami. It seems the guaifenesin will increase serotonin in the system. Add that to what ami does, and you're in trouble. 

Luckily I've had the last two days off from work. I'm trying to figure out what to do, med-wise, going back to work tomorrow. I don't have a fever anymore, and the coughing/hacking is less than what it's been over the past few days. I don't feel anxious just yet. Perhaps I should take part of an amitriptyline pill in my pocket, and take if those feelings start to come back, rather than risking taking it tonight...? I really can't afford to go see a doctor. Any suggestions...?

• Moderator Emeritus

The ami needs to be kept constant, not be monkeyed with.  When was the last time you took the mucinex?  From the webs:  Guaifenesin is readily absorbed from the gastro-intestinal tract and is rapidly metabolized and excreted in the urine. Guaifenesin has a plasma half-life of one hour. The major urinary metabolite is beta-(2-methoxyphenoxy) lactic acid.

I am thinking that if you were to take the two together, that would lead to the problems you experienced, but if it has been many hours since your last dose of Mucinex, then there shouldn't be any risk with resuming your regularly scheduled dose of ami.

Not sure if I answered your question or just didn't understand the question to begin with LOL!

SG

Well, last night was the last time I took the Mucinex. I seem to be quite sensitive to it. At that strength (1200mg guaifenesin per tab) maybe it could take longer to get out of my system. I surely don't want to feel the way I did last night. I've had sinus infections of varying degrees before in my life, colds, flu, ear/throat infections but *nothing* has ever made me feel quite that way. It's hard to describe. Can't wait to be off the ami. I'm going to look into a bit more on the web.

... I'm using binaural beats with affirmations, and just trying to stop myself from letting negative thoughts get very far. 

Hi Beachgirl,

Congrats on the new job, and I hope you get over your virus quickly.

Are you still using the binaural beats? Do you find they help? I have been using the Brainwave app by Banzai Labs for a few weeks. It has some nice background sounds to choose from, but not affirmations. May I ask what product you are using?

1980-84?: tricyclic antidepressant? unknown dosage, gradually quit by forgetting to take it

2011: Cipralex 10 mg increased to 20 mg after two months, Zyprexa 2.5 mg increased to 5 mg after one month

2012: Cipralex 20 mg, Zyprexa reduced to 2.5 mg, then stopped (withdrawal symptoms attributed to depression), Abilify 2 mg, then increased to 5 mg 

2013: Cipralex 20 mg, Wellbutrin 150 mg, Abilify decreased to 2 mg and then stopped

2014: Cipralex reduced to 10 mg (no taper and withdrawal symptoms), Wellbutrin 150 mg

2015-16: Cipralex 10 mg, Wellbutrin 150 mg

Started tapering Cipralex on March 31, 2016: 9 mg; April 27: 8.25 mg, May 25: 7.25 mg

Off Cipralex late fall 2016 after a slow taper.

Off Wellbutrin late winter/early spring 2017 after a taper.

My sinus issues are a nightmare from celexa, it's not easy to deAL with, the pressure is insane. Ali

I've been doing some more research online, and am going to try a salt wash for my sinuses, and see if it helps. One article recommended using those regularly as a preventative, to keep sinuses moist, for people who frequently have sinus issues. That might be a good option for you too, Ali. 

Persephone, I was using one meant for attracting abundance (and has other positive affirmations with it) here: http://premiumbinauralbeats.com/product/attract-wealth-and-abundance/...scroll down, there's a free version. I haven't used those in awhile though. Using the same one day after day gets *sigh* pretty boring to me. Perhaps music-only ones would be less so. 

Fever keep going up and down. Hopefully I'll feel like going to work tomorrow!

Peace...

I use the nasal salt spray, it helps ☺

I agree with SquirrelyGirl--it is very important that your amitryptiline dosage is not going way up and down. Try to get an even dose every evening at the same time (anything over 6 mg. during the day would make me feel like a zombie!) That's probably why you had a bad reaction to the dosage with heart palpitations. I doubt that it was serotonin syndrome as you aren't taking that much. I've taken all kinds of meds with 25 mg. or less and never had any issues with interaction.

Sarah

1975--first signs of depression

1981--started on imipramine (Tofranil) for IBS and depression

1983-1986--severe depression, rotated through several drugs, on MAOI for one year, eventually back to tricyclics

1986-1994--chronic low grade depression, on tricyclics

1994-96--severe depression, rotated through several drugs inc. Prozax, Effexor, etc..

1996-2013--chronic low grade depression, SAD, on amitryptiline usual dose 12.5-25mg

flurazepam (Dalmane) as needed for insomnia

2013--developed temazepam (Restoril) dependance for 2 months, tapered off over 1 month

started bio-identical progesterone 5 mg., depression has lifted completely to this day

March 2016--forced to c/t both amitryptiline and flurazepam, zolpidem not helpful

reinstated small dose (.5 mg) amitryptiline due to stomach issues and tapering w/titration

June 19th--jumped from amitryptiline--drug free!

• 1 month later...

Hello all! I haven't posted in awhile but ran across something that might help someone on this forum, at http://upliftconnect.com/mutiny-of-the-soul/    ...it's an article about depression being the soul's rebellion from a life it doesn't agree with. This, in the sense that our stressed modern lives don't feed the soul. It ain't your fault, in other words, it's the society we live in and trying to survive in it. Else, why would SO MANY people be struggling with depression at this point in time? Interesting to ponder on. The solution is maybe not so easy; trying to find as many ways to minimize stress and feed your soul as you can.

Edit by CC:  Link incorrect - found it here:  http://upliftconnect.com/mutiny-of-the-soul/

I'm down to one half of a 25mg amitriptyline pill each night. The arthritis pain edged back and so did the depression, somewhat; regular Epsom salt baths are helping the former, while meditation seems to be helping the latter. I'm still trying to get Sundays off work so I can continue to go to church and re-connect with my church "family." I don't have much social support otherwise. 

*Hugs* to you all on your journey...

Edited by ChessieCat
Gave correct link

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Beachgirl,

It's something I agree with too, and it's a helpful way to understand things.  I'm into soul-feeding myself - it feels good when there's so much pain to deal with. 

It's good to hear you sound so well.

Karen

8 month hold.