Rosa: Insomnia relief during the weaning process

Rosa

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Everyone can see estherfranco's post. estherfranco, if you post in your own Introductions topic, you're more likely to get answers to your questions.

Thank you, Rosa, that's good advice to estherfranco.

And thank you for letting me know that estherfranco's posts can be read by others. That is good.

7 years of antidepressants, mostly celexa, later escitalopram, a variety of failed meds in hopes of decreasing side effects, and now on sertraline 50 mg for 6 months. Have tried repeatedly to stop completely, but symptoms returned in 2 to 4 months.  I did not know about the issues of withdrawal and have thought it was "chemical imbalance" and that I might need to continue for my lifetime. Now I am learning that it was probably rebound. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist soon and will begin the process of weaning. I can tell that the group will help me a whole lot.

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2017 at 6:51 AM, Rosa said:

estherfranco4, my heart goes out to you. It is a very difficult process and the fact is that most of us going through it have found  that our doctors do not understand any of this. I did find a great counselor who helped a lot. There is research going on about it - which is so needed - but that will be a while. 

I hope you found your first post on the Introductions and Updates forum on this web site. That is the area where you can ask questions and get a lot of support. There is also educational  information to read on this site. If you could fill us in on your symptoms, possibly we could give you hints on what has worked for us. Also it would be helpful to know how long you have been off of the med and how long you took to wean off. So many things come into play.

It is so good that you are reaching out. 

from the doctor i have i do not have the help i need. greek doctors  are not informed about withdrawal symptoms as the should they simply do not care.....i wonder how long does it take for someone to stop suffering ? ,,,,or is it only a dream ..

I sent my last note to you through the Surviving Antidepressant email message system – but my most recent email to you came back as undeliverable so I have now gone back to the usual communication process. Sorry if I have caused confusion.

I am glad you gave me more information on your situation. Again, I can only respond with what I have found out in working my way through it.  

I got a lot of help from a website: anxietycentre.com when I was doing my research while tapering. A lot of their info is free, and you can pay a nominal fee for more in-depth information. There is info in there about panic attacks, what causes them, what is happening in the body when they occur and how to cope with them. This information did help me control my panic attacks. I think you have signs of anxiety and depression which often go hand in hand. I’m not sure why your doctor feels differently. In my country, neurologists would not be the ones handling the issues we are having. Our psychiatrists order prescription drugs but don’t really counsel people and they often know little about trying to get off the drugs. Psychologists are better, but my best help was a social worker who was trained in such things as yoga, meditation and mindfulness.

Who knows what comes first - the sleep deprivation or the anxiety and depression. But I believe that not sleeping is huge. Our body does so many health functions during sleep. It might help you to find a sleep clinic if there is one around you. If nothing else, be sure to study the issue on line. I am careful not to ever eat or drink anything with caffeine in it – coffee, tea, chocolate, colas, etc. I have cut down my alcohol to one drink, 2-3 times a month. I don’t eat anything after dinner.  I go to bed tired, after reading not watching TV or being on the computer.  I don’t know if you take any sleeping aids, but they can be helpful. Physical exercise is important too. I don’t know what you can do if you can’t get outside and walk. Is there a gym near you?

Are you worse without the medication than you were on it?

Is there a church nearby where you can get support?

Is there an organization where you can volunteer? That is a great way to meet people and feel good inside.

Could have a small dog or a cat? Having something to love is such balm to the soul. The cat wouldn’t need to be walked, and the dog could protect you while walking.

My dear, you have a friend across the world thinking about you, and hoping that you can find what you need to move forward.

Take care,

Rosa

7 years of antidepressants, mostly celexa, later escitalopram, a variety of failed meds in hopes of decreasing side effects, and now on sertraline 50 mg for 6 months. Have tried repeatedly to stop completely, but symptoms returned in 2 to 4 months.  I did not know about the issues of withdrawal and have thought it was "chemical imbalance" and that I might need to continue for my lifetime. Now I am learning that it was probably rebound. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist soon and will begin the process of weaning. I can tell that the group will help me a whole lot.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi there,

The staff at SA are wondering how you are.  We'd love to hear how you are doing now.   Would you mind dropping by and giving an update?

Thanks.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hello back to you CC and everyone. I would love to update you on what is happening with me. My last communications explained that after a successful taper that occurred over 9 months plus a few more months, I began to have the same symptoms that caused me to start on the SSRIs in the first place. Sleep became a major problem, as well as anxiety, irritable behavior, and going back into my mode of looking inward all the time and not being capable of simply living and enjoying my life. But I did not want the sexual side effects or the nightmares that the med had been giving me. I told my doctor that I wanted to go back on the med but at a smaller dose of Sertraline at 25 mg and she supported me.  Now I am doing very well. I sleep well with lots of dreaming but no horrendous nightmares as before, feel some anxiety but I can cope, and I was able to find an answer to the sexual issues. My psychiatrist told me to hold it one day before sex and see if that would help my normalize my response. And it worked! I think it is because I am taking a smaller dose and my body is not quite as shut down as it was with 50 mg.  

So now I am comfortable, coping when things get to me, feel hopeful and enjoying my life. It is a major relief. I never take it for granted. 

I feel lucky to have had the support of this group and pray that people are finding their own way through the maze of all of this. 

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rosa, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @Rosa, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.