Samantha: Effexor withdrawal developed stomach pain/gerd

Samantha

2-17-16

I was taking Effexor for 13 years (since I was 19y/o) up until a year ago then was weaned off with Prozac till September 2015. I experienced everything that everyone has talked about. October and November seemed to be going well and then December developed SEVERE stomach pain and burning with GERD/GI issues. I went to the doctor and have since been on Prilosec 2x a day which isn't doing sh*t for me. I am completely terrified. They ran the basic tests of ultrasounds and blood work and came back normal. I am terrified of having the scope although that is what's next when I go for a follow up in a few weeks. I know that's what's needed to get a better look but I've never been put under and it sounds terrifying. Not sure if these are delayed withdrawals??? I was tapered with Prozac till 5 months ago and now this horrible stomach pain and acid. Has anyone experienced this? Is it permanent? I lost 20lbs from being scared to eat normally and only drinking water. I just want to know I'm not alone in these symptoms. December to now can't be normal to have pain this long, right?

Effexor 13 years till February 2015

Prozac 8 months feb 15- sept 15

Currently on Prilosec 2x/day

Samantha

I have had on and off issues with stomach problems in Lexapro withdrawal. I didn't have upper GI problems it was more horrendous bloating and pain. It lasted around 6 months and appears to be getting better now. I changed my diet dramatically by cutting out bread, biscuits and other carbs made with flour. I eat lots of fruit and veg and eat real live yoghurt not the stuff you buy in the fridge section of the supermarket. 

Relaxation and gentle exercise also helped along with trying to accept that my symptoms were real but would pass. I really hope I don't get issues again but it appears many people have stomach and bowel issues in witdrawal.

Try some gentle tweaks to your diet, relax, try some meditation and be kind to yourself. Hopefully you will find your symptoms get better quickly.

PN xx

1995-1998 various SSRIs then withdrawal

2000 Sertraline

2003 Sertraline then changed to Prozac to attempt withdrawal.

2004 failed at withdrawal so Citalopram.

2010 attempted slow withdrawal over 12 months but failed- sever episode depression 2012

2012 3 days of Mirtazepine with bad reaction so started escitalopram 20mgs

2013 started very very slow taper with a number of slight reinstatements

Currently on between 0.5 and 1mg escitalopram drops at day.

Hi Pocket Nurse,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will try your suggestions. It's so easy for my mind to imagine the worse or something far more serious. I'm so desperate for relief and didn't see anyone's symptoms developing 5 months later so I was very worried.

2-17-16

I was taking Effexor for 13 years (since I was 19y/o) up until a year ago then was weaned off with Prozac till September 2015. I experienced everything that everyone has talked about. October and November seemed to be going well and then December developed SEVERE stomach pain and burning with GERD/GI issues. I went to the doctor and have since been on Prilosec 2x a day which isn't doing sh*t for me. I am completely terrified. They ran the basic tests of ultrasounds and blood work and came back normal. I am terrified of having the scope although that is what's next when I go for a follow up in a few weeks. I know that's what's needed to get a better look but I've never been put under and it sounds terrifying. Not sure if these are delayed withdrawals??? I was tapered with Prozac till 5 months ago and now this horrible stomach pain and acid. Has anyone experienced this? Is it permanent? I lost 20lbs from being scared to eat normally and only drinking water. I just want to know I'm not alone in these symptoms. December to now can't be normal to have pain this long, right?

Do you take the Prilosec 2x a day still? If you stopped taking that then that may be why you have the GERD.

I have been coming off Lexapro 20mg since April of last year and it hasn't been easy on my stomach either so I definitely feel you there. 

As for the scope, I have done that before when I was in highschool and it wasn't bad. It was quick and you are asleep.

Let me know!

Current meds: Escitalopram

Was put on 20mg Lexapro for 4 years; was at 18mg for ~1 week.

4/19/15: 15mg; WD symptoms include: loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea and indigestion after eating, diarrhea, and anxiety. Most of these happen at night.

6/5/15: 13mg; WD symptoms include: tiredness/lightheadedness, indigestion, numbness (emotionally)

7/6/15: 11mg --> 7/10/14: 11.7mg (wanted to taper by 10%)

8/10/15: 10mg; WD symptoms include: anxiety, nausea, GI upset, headaches

9/1/15: bumped back to 10.5mg (back to tapering by 10%); 10/5/15: back to 10mg

11/8: down to 9mg: feeling depressed so far ---> 11/16: bumped back to 10mg :(

1/23: back to 9mg; headaches, "motion sickness" feeling, anxiety

3/24: 8.5mg; 5/24: 8mg; nausea and dizziness bumped back to 8.5mg 3/26 :(

blog: https://offwithyourmeds.wordpress.com

2-17-16

Do you take the Prilosec 2x a day still? If you stopped taking that then that may be why you have the GERD.

I have been coming off Lexapro 20mg since April of last year and it hasn't been easy on my stomach either so I definitely feel you there. 

As for the scope, I have done that before when I was in highschool and it wasn't bad. It was quick and you are asleep.

Let me know!

Hi BR,

I am still taking it. I'm getting back pain from it as well so I didn't want to stop anything. I've been to a few doctors and they all say something different. My GP said to stop taking it and switch to 300mg Zantac 2x a day... I haven't switched to that but seems harsh. I was going to give the Prilosec another week or two before trying Zantac 300mg. 

Samantha

I have had on and off issues with stomach problems in Lexapro withdrawal. I didn't have upper GI problems it was more horrendous bloating and pain. It lasted around 6 months and appears to be getting better now. I changed my diet dramatically by cutting out bread, biscuits and other carbs made with flour. I eat lots of fruit and veg and eat real live yoghurt not the stuff you buy in the fridge section of the supermarket. 

Relaxation and gentle exercise also helped along with trying to accept that my symptoms were real but would pass. I really hope I don't get issues again but it appears many people have stomach and bowel issues in witdrawal.

Try some gentle tweaks to your diet, relax, try some meditation and be kind to yourself. Hopefully you will find your symptoms get better quickly.

PN xx

Hi,

Also was wondering where you get the live yogurt from? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Samantha,

Would you like to start a thread in the Introductions and Updates forum so we can all get to know you?  It would be the place to discuss your own situation, and get more answers. 

Welcome to s/a :),

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi all,

I guess I was posting in the wrong place although I've already had some nice people respond. I was put on Effexor when I was 19 y/o for severe anxiety attacks. I stayed on it for 13 years and took my past pill last February 2015. My doctor put me on Prozac to help with the withdrawal symptoms even though I still got them and they were severe. I experienced everything from hot flashes to headaches, jaw pain, dizziness, depersonalizations, ear ringing, panic, etc. I stayed on Prozac and tapered off that till September 2015. October and November seemed to be going ok although my hormones seemed to be out of control since. I already had ovarian cysts and painful periods, but it's been worse since stopping. My real worry in all this is that starting December I developed severe stomach pain and burning, acid reflux that really burned my throat (felt like strep throat) and bathroom problems. I went to a Gastroenterologist and she prescribed Prilosec and Zantac. Not only did these not help, the acid reflux became worse. They tested for h. Pylori, did an abdominal ultrasound and those came back normal. So, I'm now on Prilosec 2x a day and I'm supposed to go back in a couple weeks for a follow up. it wasn't comforting that this doctor was straight out of med school and feel like experience is key. I mentioned withdrawals being a possibility and she looked at me like I was insane. I guess my question is has anyone experienced what I guess is delayed withdrawals as far as stomach pain? I naturally panic and think it's something serious and I am terrified to have the scope since I've never had any type of procedures/surgeries. I know everyone heals differently but it seems a bit long since September to have continual withdrawals from Effexor/Prozac going on 6 months later. My GP recommended switching to Zantac 300mg 2x a day so I guess I'll try switching to that before my next doc appointment. I've been eating boring foods and lost 20lbs since December trying to heal. I'm desperate to feel normal again and not feel alone in this.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Samantha , welcome to the site.

Please could you fill in your signature with your medication history , so that readers can see it at a glance each

time you post.

Stomach / digestive problems go hand in hand with ssri's , as something like 90% of serotonin is stored in the

digestive tract.  There are many non-drug methods of addressing this in the Symptoms and Self Care forum ,

including ginger , apple cider vinegar , slippery elm , peppermint , lemon in hot water . . .   try some different

things and see what works for you.

Prilosec is a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) and will need to be tapered to avoid w/d symptoms.   Many people

find it makes digestive issues worse because they have less stomach acid to process food with.

Please see our thread on tapering here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4361-tips-for-tapering-off-stomach-acid-blockers-or-ppis-esomeprazole-lansoprazole-omeprazole/?hl=prilosec

" I guess my question is has anyone experienced what I guess is delayed withdrawals as far as stomach pain? "

Pretty  much everyone on this site has had gut problems at some stage of the process..  The thing about protracted

withdrawal is that symptoms can continue to change for 18 months to 2 years , so 6 months out is early in the piece.

If you want to connect with other Californians , pop into the Cali room in Relationships here  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6286-california-members-please-check-in-here/?hl=california

Welcome aboard - you're no longer alone in this :)

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Any update on your situation, Samantha?  Going through some GERD issues myself after stopping Prozac.  Thanks.

Hi Tamad, would you like to start a topic for yourself in introductions? We can get to know you and answer any questions for you. :) 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 3 years later...
  • Administrator

@Samantha, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.