Sophster: Tapering off several antidepressants

Sophster

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me.

I have been on antidepressants for 20+ years and have tried several times to get off of them, unsuccessfully. Right now I'm on Cymbalta, Abilify, Wellbutrin and Trazodone. I want to try again to get off of them, and I'm determined and motivated. I have been slow tapering off the Cymbalta for two weeks, with no side effects (yay!) and am wondering if I should also be tapering off the rest of my meds at the same time?

Starting doses: Cymbalta 30mg. Wellbutrin 200mg. Abilify 2mg. Trazodone 100 mg

2/1/16: Cymbalta 27mg. Wellbutrin 180mg. Abilify 1.8mg. Trazodone 90 mg

2/24/16: Cymbalta 27mg. Wellbutrin 162mg. Abilify 1.6mg. Trazodone 81 mg

3/4/16: Cymbalta 24.3mg. Wellbutrin 146mg. Abilify 1.4mg. Trazodone 72 mg

3/11/16: Cymbalta 24.3mg. Wellbutrin 133mg. Abilify 1.2mg. Trazodone 72 mg

3/18/16: Cymbalta 22mg. Wellbutrin 133mg. Abilify 1.2mg. Trazodone 72 mg

3/25/16: Started seeing holistic physician who told me to cut Abilify, take half dose of Trazodone (she prescribed Progesterone at bedtime for sleep) and hold everything else while she runs tests. Tried cutting Abilify but got bad head and neck pain. Could not sleep with half dose of Trazodone + Progesterone, so as of today 4/11/16, here's where I am:

Cymbalta 22mg. Wellbutrin 133 mg. Abilify .8 mg. Trazodone 43 mg

Hi Sophster--  welcome to the group, I'm so glad you found us.  Having been on AD for so long and being polydrugged it is imperative that you do a slow careful taper to get off of them.  But it can be done and with a minimum of discomfort.  We need some more detail about what you've been taking and how you're currently trying to taper off of the Cymbalta.  If you would please fill in a signature block it would really be helpful.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Here is some god information to get you started:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Give those a read and then ask us a whole lot of questions.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Sophster,

Why did you decide to start with the Cymbalta? What dose were you on, and now?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I am so grateful to have found this forum. As you can see from my signature, I'm on a cocktail of ADs and I'm working to taper off of them. All was going well until about two weeks ago when I started getting severe headaches and neck pain. So I increased my dosage to what you see under the April 2016 heading and am feeling much better. I'm trying to reduce all the meds all at once rather than one at a time and would appreciate any input into that, or experiences other people have with getting off multiple meds. Thank you!

3/25/16: Started seeing holistic physician who told me to cut Abilify, take half dose of Trazodone (she prescribed Progesterone at bedtime for sleep) and hold everything else while she runs tests. Tried cutting Abilify but got bad head and neck pain. Could not sleep with half dose of Trazodone + Progesterone, so as of today 4/11/16, here's where I am:

It looks like I put this in the wrong place :(. And I've posted before, I completely forgot about that. My brain isn't working very well. My apologies...

Hi Sophster--  Welcome to the group.  You got it in the right place so no worries.  This will by your journal thread where you can keep records, ask questions, chat with friends, rant, rave and complain.

That's quite a cocktail your on, it would be a good idea to put all the medications you're taking into the interaction checker and then copy and paste the results here for us to see.

Drug Interactions Checker -- use it to reduce your drug burden

We don't recommend tapering all your medications at one time, it makes it really hard to figure out what is causing what symptoms and make the necessary changes to control things;

Taper more than one drug at a time?

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

Give those a read and then ask us a lot of questions.

Thank you for adding a signature block it really helps us to see what is going on.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

This is horrifying. Thank you for the link, but now I want to get off of these fast! I won't do that though. Based on this, should I focus on the Wellbutrin first? It looks like that's the common denominator.

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major

bupropion trazodone

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), trazodone

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with traZODone. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of traZODone, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Major

bupropion aripiprazole

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Abilify (aripiprazole)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with ARIPiprazole. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of ARIPiprazole, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

bupropion duloxetine

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with DULoxetine. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of DULoxetine, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

trazodone duloxetine

Applies to: trazodone, Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using traZODone together with DULoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

trazodone aripiprazole

Applies to: trazodone, Abilify (aripiprazole)

Using traZODone together with ARIPiprazole may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

aripiprazole duloxetine

Applies to: Abilify (aripiprazole), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

DULoxetine may increase the blood levels of ARIPiprazole. This can increase the risk and/or severity of side effects such as drowsiness, seizure, Parkinson-like symptoms, abnormal muscle movements, and low blood pressure. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. Contact your doctor if you experience agitation, aggression, confusion, convulsions, muscle spasm, or movements that you can't stop or control such as lip smacking, chewing, puckering, frowning or scowling, tongue thrusting, teeth clenching, jaw twitching, blinking, eye rolling, shaking or jerking of arms and legs, tremor, jitteriness, restlessness, pacing, and foot tapping. Also be alert to symptoms of low blood pressure such as dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or increased pulse or heart rate. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how these medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position, especially at the beginning of treatment or after an increase in dose of ARIPiprazole. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

HOLY CRAP...... How do doctors not know how dangerous this can be, iam so sorry you are going through this, it's just not fair, but rest assured you have found a great forum that will give you great help and advice, I just wanted to pop in and say welcome to SA. Ali

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sophster,

I've moved your "new" intro topic and merged it with your original.  Click FOLLOW (top right) and you'll received notification when someone responds.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you, Ali and ChessieCat! I'm still kind of in shock after reading all the drug interaction info. I just can't believe it. I trusted my doctors, and now...I don't know what to think. I'm so afraid of the damage to my brain, and my life! I look back on the trajectory of things and wonder if all my difficulties were depression, or the drugs. I'll never know, will I?

I'm not sure of how to proceed. Should I stay at my current dosages until my headaches and neck pain get better? Those are the symptoms I'm having, and fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sophster,

Could you please give some additional details in your signature about how you reduced your doses?  If possible, being more specific with dates would be helpful.  Having this information with allow the mods to offer their suggestions based on these details.  Thanks.

Just at the moment, I suggest that you stay on the dosages you are taking until one of the more knowledgeable mods assesses your situation.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I've updated my signature with more detail, I hope this is more helpful :). It feels like everything is such a mess! I feel okay emotionally, but head and neck pain and fatigue continue. I was symptom free until about two weeks ago. Should I just hold what I've got until the symptoms subside? I really want to be free of these drugs because this mixture is toxic!

I'm also taking fish oil, magnesium, turmeric, probiotic and Vitamin E.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Sophster - good onya!  You are a brave kitty cat!

It looks like you've got the right idea - but it would be good to hold until your symptoms settle down, and then focus on one taper at a time.  You've been tapering multiple drugs just a little too fast, so no wonder you have symptoms.

You can alternate tapers - like taper Wellbutrin for 3 months, then, if you find you are too drowsy, taper trazadone or Abilify for a round.  It's also good to take breaks from tapers - holds.  That's what I recommend for you now.

The tapers are destabilizing, it is when you hold that your brain heals.  I am a big fan of holds.

While you are waiting, it's a good time to look at how this all works:

Withdrawal Dialogues - cartoons to encourage you

Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery (Toxic Antidepressants)

Waves and Windows

and

Rhi's description of healing the brain

and this is a good time to learn about Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms

Welcome to SA!  I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I'll hold, and do some reading ☺️

• Administrator

Welcome, Sophster.

Why was the Wellbutrin added? How long have you been taking it? How did you feel when you reduced it before?

Why was the trazodone added?

Yes, you're on an arbitrary cocktail of drugs. Were they all prescribed by your GP?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you, Alto. I'm finding this group to be so supportive and helpful. I've been feeling very alone in all this.

I started on Prozac in 1991 while I was going through a divorce. Wellbutrin was added about a year later "to boost the effects of the Prozac," which had stopped working. I've been on it ever since. Trazodone was soon added because I couldn't sleep. All the drugs have been prescribed by psychiatrists. I tried stopping the Wellbutrin several years ago and couldn't...I felt very anxious and irritable, biting people's heads off for no reason ????

• Administrator

Common side effects of Wellbutrin are irritability, anxiety, and sleeplessness.

If I were you, I'd taper the Wellbutrin first. See Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

Were all of these drugs prescribed by your GP?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

No, all were prescribed by psychiatrists. I trusted them and feel so betrayed.

Alto, are you recommending starting with the Wellbutrin because of its toxicity with the other drugs I'm on? I'm just curious that's all. It will help me to understand the thought process.

As I read the links, I remembered that the other reason the Wellbutrin was added was because of its relative lack of sexual side effects. And I was given Seroquel at one point too, just as the Wellbutrin tapering link described. It's all coming back to me now and I'm amazed I was able to function as well as I did. Of course I was a lot younger then!

Hi Sophster.  Cute avatar !  :)

We normally recommend tapering the more stimulating drugs first . Wellbutrin is renowned for being stimulating , and therefore possibly creating sleeplessness and anxiety . This is not what you want whilst you are tapering . This link might help to explain a little more :

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014