branyan PSSD success/challenges

Many people here know me from one of the old forums (Paxil Progress), as well as posting here around six or seven years ago in relation to PSSD. Oh, I was on zyprexa for a while, and got off of it, then had to reinstate, but now I'm off of it for good. My PSSD symptoms got worse on the olanzapine after I made a mostly full recovery over the years (from Zyprexa and Lexparo). That is absolutely the most distressing symptom to me. Now I also developed idiopathic hypersomnia, similar to narcolepsy, a couple years ago, and I literally have to take adderall to function and hold down a full-time job. 

My PSSD has gotten a bit better off the Zyprexa. Some functioning is returning. 

I know this website is generally geared towards being medication-free, but like the medication I take for my blood pressure, I have to take stimulants to be able to function, drive and work. 

For the past year, while going through some extreme depression, my mother, dying of ALS, and my life being turned upside down by developing a sleep disorder. I was on a variety of different antipsychotics and antidepressants to try to stabilize. So I know my nervous system is absolutely not in perfect working order and needs more time to recover. I know zyprexa specifically can cause pretty severe withdrawal effects, including insomnia, and brain fog.

Given that all of these different drugs work on different receptors (the Zyprexa and Lexparo largely on the 5HT1A receptor, and blocking dopamine which causes high prolactin)., I wonder if Adderall will mess with my recovery. I mean it isn't an option for me to go off of it. I would end up on disability. 

I wonder if anyone had any thoughts. 

2006 -2009 Lexapro
March 2010 Off Lexapro on Zyprexa  - November 2010 off Zyprexa
Off ALL MEDICATION -Jan 22nd 2011

Well I made it about 10 years medication free. I was doing really well, and my PSSD while on and off was basically a non issue. 

2021-22 Mirtazipine for 5 months , Off of meds for 2 months, On mirtazpiine for a month, Off. for 2 weeks, On Wellbutrin + lithium, Off meds for 3 weeks

2023 On vibbyrd for 1 week, On zyprexa for one month, Off, On Remeron for 2 weeks , Now Off meds.

The PSSD is back. I am worried it is now totally permanent. I had to go on medication as I would have comitted suicide, but now I have adjusted to the Tinnitus and desperately am hoping for the PSSD to resolve again. But I am worried it cannot after I bombarded myself with medications again. I hope to god I am wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to reinstate for a while as the withdrawal was unbearable. But now I am back off after weaning. Sticking with it. 

It's pretty freaky as my equipment is not working at all and coitus is pleasureless. ON medication i still had some good function and pleasure. Then as I stayed on the medication it would get worse. When I would get off it would work better, and then I would have bad windows. Interestingly when I would reinstate it would get better again for a week. Much better. But then gets worse again.

So now I am really in no man's land and sticking with it. Oddly enough I see the pleasureless coitus I experienced today as a good sign as that means things are changing and my brain is trying to work it out. This happened back in 2010. 

I have to say Zyprexa is almost an IMPOSSIBLE drug to get off of.

Wish me luck!

2006 -2009 Lexapro

Well I made it about 10 years medication free. I was doing really well, and my PSSD while on and off was basically a non issue. 

2021-22 Mirtazipine for 5 months , Off of meds for 2 months, On mirtazpiine for a month, Off. for 2 weeks, On Wellbutrin + lithium, Off meds for 3 weeks

2023 On vibbyrd for 1 week, On zyprexa for one month, Off, On Remeron for 2 weeks , Now Off meds.

The PSSD is back. I am worried it is now totally permanent. I had to go on medication as I would have comitted suicide, but now I have adjusted to the Tinnitus and desperately am hoping for the PSSD to resolve again. But I am worried it cannot after I bombarded myself with medications again. I hope to god I am wrong.

On 5/25/2018 at 11:14 PM, Altostrata said:

There are many drugs that might be easier to taper than Zyprexa. The problem is, your nervous system is dependent on Zyprexa and we don't know if it will accept a substitute.

Hi Alto,

What are the chances my sleep architecture will recover off Zyprexa?

2006 -2009 Lexapro

• Administrator

No one can predict what will happen after you go off Zyprexa. Most likely, over some unknown period, your sleep will gradually recover.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

1 hour ago, branyan said:

Hi Alto,

What are the chances my sleep architecture will recover off Zyprexa?

try relaxing accupunture . it will help with sleep. I am off medications for 6 years now and my pssd almost recovered mostly. 2 weeks ago i started having extreme anxierty and depression coz of work. i almost went on antidepressants again to cope with it but i am glad that i did accupuncture instead and took fish oils . feel better . still i am a bit anxious but better

mild depression: took effaxor XR 75mg From nov 2016 - feb 2017 for 4 months

PSSD : Since then along with continuing withdrawal.

cognition problems, headache , fatigue, concentration problems, anhedonia, PSSD ( erection 2/10, Libido1/10, orgasm 4/10) 

no significant improvements in any withdrawal symptoms or any PSSD symptoms

3 minutes ago, hussy said:

try relaxing accupunture . it will help with sleep. I am off medications for 6 years now and my pssd almost recovered mostly. 2 weeks ago i started having extreme anxierty and depression coz of work. i almost went on antidepressants again to cope with it but i am glad that i did accupuncture instead and took fish oils . feel better . still i am a bit anxious but better

That is wondeful to hear! I am so happy for you. I will continue to try herbs, relaxing showers, and not sleeping until I am truly sleepy.

2006 -2009 Lexapro

28 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

No one can predict what will happen after you go off Zyprexa. Most likely, over some unknown period, your sleep will gradually recover.

Thanks Alto!

It's a hell of a drug. I had experience with it back in 2010. I will never put it in my body again.

2006 -2009 Lexapro

4 minutes ago, branyan said:

That is wondeful to hear! I am so happy for you. I will continue to try herbs, relaxing showers, and not sleeping until I am truly sleepy.

i suggest not to try any herbs either. they will cause more damage as your system is very sensitive. Warm showers are good. fish oil is good . accupuncture is good. meditation is good. Deep breathing is good. streching and yoga stuff is good. 

mild depression: took effaxor XR 75mg From nov 2016 - feb 2017 for 4 months

PSSD : Since then along with continuing withdrawal.

cognition problems, headache , fatigue, concentration problems, anhedonia, PSSD ( erection 2/10, Libido1/10, orgasm 4/10) 

no significant improvements in any withdrawal symptoms or any PSSD symptoms

Two weeks Post, 5 mg cessation. Two nights in a row of eight hours of sleep only woke up once 🙂

I was on the drug for six months off and on. I do have tachycardia in the morning though. And my anxiety is worse. But I don’t care. I’m so glad to be off the drug.

2006 -2009 Lexapro

PSSD seems to be improving in windows and waves pattern.

2006 -2009 Lexapro

• Administrator

Good to hear. If you don't want to go through this again, may I suggest that you not go for another round of psychiatric drugs?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.