SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sage: Delayed Withdrawal Symptoms

sage

Hello all. I have a history of chronic pain (fibromyalgia) which became markedly worse in 2003 when I injured myself and developed chronic burning pain such that I could barely function. Thus began a nightmare of trips to doctors, neurologists & psychs to find relief. The pain/anxiety & depression was most intolerable at night. Finally, a pain doc prescribed Doxepin. This added to klonopin knocked me out and gave me nearly a full night's sleep.

By 2012, the fatigue and depression from the drug cocktail were becoming intolerable. After internet investigation, I decided to wean off klonopin. At first, I went too quickly & was immediately notified of this fact by monstrous headaches. Other side effects were photosensitivity & some nausea. I backed up & went very s l o w l y. I've since been quite comfortable on my approx. 6% drop & hold for 3 weeks schedule. I continue to sleep well most nights & I attribute this to the sedating 75 mg. nightly Doxepin. However, between reading two of Dr. Peter Breggin's books & perusing this site, I wonder if I am not reducing the wrong drug first. I would welcome your input on this question: Since Doxepin is so sedating, does it matter if I cut the benzo first? I'm not sure I should rock this boat now since it is going smoothly, but I've considered stopping at .25 klon (by approx. June) & tackling a careful reduction of Doxepin until I reach at least 50 mg. or so. Then perhaps alternating weaning between the two meds. I've already purchased a gram scale & some gel caps. Would you still consider Doxepin activating b/c of its effect on serotonin & norep. or is this sufficiently cancelled by its anti-cholonergic/sedating effects? Also, in your opinion is Doxepin the more detrimental drug? Thank you so much for your help & being such a much needed oasis in this confusing pharma desert...

2003-2012 Ultram 100-300 mg./day

2004-2006 string of antidepressants, incl. prozac, etc.; paxil - 8 mos.

2004-2006 neurontin (up to 1,400 mg. day)

2006-2010 Lyrica 150 mg. day/weaned off Lyrica 2010-2011

2004-6/2012 Klonopin 1 mg./night; began reduction in 6/2012

-------- current cocktail:

ultram 100 mg. day

Klonopin - .35 mg./night

2004-present 75 mg./night doxepin

• Moderator Emeritus

This question is too technical for me, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Sounds like you've done your homework with regards to withdrawal. Someone should be along shortly.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

Hmm bit too technical for me too, I know too much about SSRI's and not enough about the other drugs. Welcome to the forums from me as well though and I know someone with more knowledge about benzos will be able to give you some input soon.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've since been quite comfortable on my approx. 6% drop & hold for 3 weeks schedule.

I too cannot give you specific advice but I will say that any success at tapering is huge and you should feel good about it. I would caution you to change anything more at the moment until someone with more knowledge of Doxepin signs on. You are doing well!!!

Also.... many of us here have found that what once helped us after years of use & for whatever reason eventually works against us i.e. your comment "By 2012, the fatigue and depression from the drug cocktail were becoming intolerable."...

Kudos on educating yourself.... and being wise to not panic and change anything too suddenly. Keeping your brain comfortable while making slow changes is key... someone will be along to more helpfully guide you.

Welcome,

RU

Here is some specific information collected for tapering Doxepin

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Welcome to forum! Sadly, I too cannot offer an answer, but there are many more knowledgeable people here who can assist you.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

Welcome, Sage! Your plan to pause the Klonopin taper and work on the antidepressant is doable. This thread may be helpful to you. ("Tapering Multiple Psych Drugs? Taper the Antidepressant First")

Sparrow

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.
Dec. 2011 - March 2013: Tapered off 0.5 mg clonazepam (Klonopin)

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

January 2014: 4.5 mg escitalopram

March 2014: One year off benzos

May 2014: 3.0 mg escitalopram

June 2014: severe depression, updosed to 4.0 mg

Sept 1, 2014: 2.7 mg

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

March 2015: TWO YEARS POST-BENZO

• Administrator

Welcome, Sage.

Second what Sparrow said.

To taper doxepin, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3914-tips-for-tapering-doxepin-sinequan-zonalon/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I was just about to reference the discussion, "Tapering Multiple Psych Drugs? Taper the Antidepressant First", so I'll just second what Sparrow had to say.

Welcome aboard. I'm sorry you've had to go through this, but glad you were able to find us. I think you'll find the best advice available right here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thank you all for your kind words of welcome and the links...what a friendly and knowledgeable group I've been fortunate to find! Thanks Alto for those links on Doxepin. Very sobering to see the many systems the drug can interfere with (cardio/eye pressure, etc.) and other cautionary notes. The refrain now is "TCA's are more risky and problematic -- here, take an SSRI." Years from now the refrain will be "SSRIs are more risky and problematic -- here, take (the latest untested potion)." When I first started Dox I was on over 100 mg.; then Paxil was piled on, along with 300 mg. ultram which is an opiate agonist & SNRI. As I sit here I thank God I never got serotonin syndrome from simultaneously battering my brain with 3 drugs that all potentiate serotonin. I guess the thinking is some is good so more is better... Frightening. I certainly feel for all of you that are having such a hard time withdrawing. What I cannot fathom is how these potions can be marketed without the slightest concern about the long-term consequences to YEARS of use. Pharma's foolish "trials" are only 6-8 weeks... and deceptive at that. Here is a consideration that others can comment on: I've read that benzos deplete/dampen serotonin. If this is so, then wouldn't concomitant reduction (albeit very slight and judicious) of an antidepressant and a benzo actually be complimentary in a way? Reducing the AD results in LESS serotonin on board, while the benzo reduction helps ADD back the serotonin that has been reduced. Of course, it is all complicated and perhaps I'm not even analyzing this properly or missing a major piece of the puzzle (If I am I'll blame it on my multiple meds :)). I just wonder... Again, thank you all for your help.

ultram 100 mg. day

Klonopin - .35 mg./night

• Administrator

I don't believe those assumptions about benzos, ADs, and serotonin are correct. The nervous system isn't a cocktail of neurotransmitters where you can add an ingredient and subtract an ingredient, it's a lot more complicated than that.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't believe those assumptions about benzos, ADs, and serotonin are correct. The nervous system isn't a cocktail of neurotransmitters where you can add an ingredient and subtract an ingredient, it's a lot more complicated than that.

Agree.

Body chemistry is complicated, with everything linked to everything else in complicated feedback loops; and nowhere is it more complicated than in the biochemistry of the nervous system. More complex and dynamic than you can imagine; I am constantly awed by it, the more I learn.

It's not ANYTHING like what we're told, most of which comes from the pharmaceutical companies and is about advertising and marketing, not about science.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed the brain is beyond comprehension in its complexity and function. Interesting conversations on this site about how best to titrate down polypharmacy. I tend toward the protocol of removing one med at a time b/c there is even less known about mixing multiple drugs. If the drugs not only potentiate one another, but cause an effect that is more potent than the sum of their respective parts/side effects, the result is more sedation, depression, inebriation, poor judgment, whatever, than would be the case without polypharmacy. Although I am not having noxious side effects b/c of my snails pace reduction, I still have continuing fatigue and an unholy lack of motivation and feel so damned immobilized. I was never like this, and I had hoped I’d improve by now (on about 1/3 of the benzo now). It's amazing to me how I can sabotage myself by avoiding pursuits that would give me fulfillment. Anyone else feel this kind of torpor from these drugs? This journey takes the patience of Job. Sending healing thoughts to all...

ultram 100 mg. day

Klonopin - .35 mg./night

Thanks Tezza. I know Doxepin is not commonly prescribed. "New" and "improved" "safe" and "effective" SSRI drugs, et al. are now prescribed...(lol). After reading Dr. Peter Breggin's books, it's hard to know which drugs are more toxic. I guess the point is that they all are in varying degrees... How is it going for you? Are you reducing one medication at a time? I still contemplate tackling the Doxepin at some point before finishing off Klonopin as I suspect it may be giving me a more rapid heart rate sporadically. Thanks again for the welcome.

ultram 100 mg. day

Klonopin - .35 mg./night

Hi sage,

I'm sorry your dealing with such a difficult situation. I know that I felt a lot of anger as I slowly uncurled the onion peels to discover that my treatments and diseases were more complicated than I'd ever imagined.

I have never heard of doxepin. I browsed your into, caught the mention of fibro so I assume the doxepin is for pain? I have not been on any of the TCAs and I think the antipsychotic>SRI/SNRI>benzodiazepine scale of "toxicity" feels right to me. .35 klonopin is a dose I would be comfortable holding at for a long while without too much concern about damage (it's a medium-to-low dose IMHO)... I'd add though that I don't think any of the benzos are ideal to stay on forever at any dose, again in all humility. If I were you, I'd like to eventually come off of it, but I'd be more concerned about doing so too quickly.

The above is very wordsy all about, pardon as I am a bit weary...

A friend took Ultram for a long while after an injury and on stopping he developed some transient sleep problems. Ultram also is somewhat like an antidepressant in some of its actions.

How is your fibromyalgia symptoms?

If I were in your shoes, I'd consider saving the klonopin for last.

Good luck,

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I still contemplate tackling the Doxepin at some point before finishing off Klonopin as I suspect it may be giving me a more rapid heart rate sporadically.

Yes, sage, this is very sagacious in my opinion. Also, to an earlier point, I lose motivation on benzo reductions. I am not ever a bundle of energy however on cuts I will struggle to do and complete every sort of mudane thing. This improves for me, with time.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Hi Alex. Thank you for your understanding and advice. Yes, Dox. was given to me for pain. In 2004, I had really horrendous pain between a nerve injury coupled with the fibro I already had. A pain dr. hit my sciatic nerve with a cortisone injection causing the pain to skyrocket. That's when I developed burning nerve pain throughout the lower half of my body. I had anxiety through the roof. After that, he plied me with meds to get rid of me. (I couldn't sit or lie down on my back & could barely leave the house). The Doxepin/Klon combo did help me sleep and calm down, but didn't really touch the nerve pain. Doxepin has a feature similar to benadryl I believe, hence the sedation it causes. This is when ultram came on board as well. I was given the usual SSRIs to sample for my "depression" which was really a normal reaction to chronic intractable pain. They either wired me up or did nothing, so I just stayed on Doxepin. The worst abuse was from psychiatrists who thought I was exaggerating the pain.

Now since I relocated to the west coast and I've done some important lifestyle changes and thank God, the worst of the nerve pain has finally subsided (truly a miracle as I had it for literally years and never thought it would end), I am trying to gradually remove these drugs. I was initially led to believe that the benzo was the biggest devil. It is certainly incredibly potent and addictive. But after more research, I agree with your assessment. They are probably the least toxic compared to anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. At least they have been around longer and we know their mode of action. Also they don't perturb so many systems as the other drugs. We are groping in the dark sometimes aren't we? Thank goodness for the wisdom on this site. Fibro is still there but the meds don't really touch the pain. Swimming and other distractions work way better. Ultram I heard can be a tough drug to come off of. I gradually removed 100 mg. last year over a period of three months (that is very slow) with little problem. Can't seem to remove this last 100 mgs. though. It is still relieving some pain. Are you now only taking a benzo? Your post wasn't at all wordy, but mine is...;-) Hopefully not too repetitious of my initial post. Hoping the best for you in this journey.

ultram 100 mg. day

Klonopin - .35 mg./night

Hello all. Sage here with an update. Your taper instructions for multiple meds couldn’t be more right, i.e., taper the benzo last. I have been reducing Klonopin over the last year, while maintaining my antidepressant and pain medication (which is also an SNRI). During recent biofeedback sessions with my therapist we both noticed my heart rate was considerably higher than in the past, and wasn’t budging much after the sessions. This has become noticeable and uncomfortable throughout the day. I wonder if having less Klonopin on board is unmasking side effects from Doxepin (tachycardia and arrythmias), or if this is just a new withdrawal effect from reducing klonopin. Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Also, do you think there is any validity to the studies that say one ought not to stop weaning a benzo once started as this can lead to a more problematic withdrawal later on. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with stopping a benzo reduction for a while & then resuming it. Thank you all.

ultram 100 mg. day

Klonopin - .35 mg./night

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi sage,

I can't answer your question, I'm sorry.

I've merged your new topic with your existing topic. Please add future updates to this thread by clicking the 'add reply' button at the bottom. That way you have everything together in one thread and it's easier to follow your progress.

Someone will be along, with more knowledge than I, to help with your question.

• Administrator

I don't know of any studies saying a benzo taper cannot be halted. Obviously, if you're taking too much of a drug, it's safer to take less. This is done all the time.

And, obviously, if tapering a benzo unmasks the activating effect of other drugs -- this happens all the time -- your taper is going to be very, very difficult until you reduce that activation. Holding the benzo taper and carefully reducing the other drugs makes sense.

If all is done slowly enough to minimize withdrawal symptoms from any of the drugs, it should be safe to resume the benzo taper later.

I'll take a look at any studies you might be able to point me to. But I suspect this is just another one of those folk legends floating around the Web about tapering.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Tezza. I know Doxepin is not commonly prescribed. "New" and "improved" "safe" and "effective" SSRI drugs, et al. are now prescribed...(lol). After reading Dr. Peter Breggin's books, it's hard to know which drugs are more toxic. I guess the point is that they all are in varying degrees... How is it going for you? Are you reducing one medication at a time? I still contemplate tackling the Doxepin at some point before finishing off Klonopin as I suspect it may be giving me a more rapid heart rate sporadically. Thanks again for the welcome.

Hi sage,

I'm currently tapering Risperdal and Remeron. I'm fairly stable right now. I try not to rock the boat, though. I find that life stressors can cause me to get wobbly to an extent.

Although I'm fairly stable in my tapering schedule, certain events can cause distress. I have a daughter-in-law that creates much drama, un-necessarily. She has issues, so I try to overlook her but it sometimes gets under my skin. God bless her, sigh...

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum. Please bear with me. I had joined this community about 3 years ago when I started withdrawing from primarily Doxepin and Klonopin. I was doing fairly well so I thought I was one of the lucky ones. I went down from Konopin 1 mg. to 0.125 mg. over about 21/2-3 years. No problem if I went very slow.

Then I started tackling Doxepin at a faster rate from an initial nightly dose of 75 mg. I initailly went to about 67 mg. or so. A few months later I experienced my first aura migraine headache. I did not connect this with Doxepin withdrawal although I found it totally mystifying as I had NEVER had a migraine in my life, much less a migraine with an aura. I was 57 years old. Was this normal?

According to doctors, "it can happen." Move on to six months later. Out of the blue comes another migraine with aura. Meanwhile I am carefully reducing Doxepin and suffering no ill effects except some less than perfect sleep now and then. Long story short, I had a total of 3 aural migraines within a year and a half, each one worse than the last, the last one putting me in the E.R. Since July of 2015 I have been on 10mg. Doxepin.

Three weeks ago, I woke up to the room spinning and was informed by Doc #1 that I had vertigo from an inner ear problem. Tried the maneuver to dislodge the "stones" in the ear to no avail. Doctor #2 does a few tests and says I have a vestibular migraine. Wth is that I ask. "A migraine affecting the vestibular system." Are these migraines a new chapter in my life having nothing to do with the toxic brew of medicines I was on for 10 years and my reduction of them? I don't know.

To say this is debilitating is an understatement. It is simply awful. Driving is problematic, I can't function in my home, etc. I feel constantly "off" similar to being drunk, have low grade headaches in the eyes, some visual distortion, and this shows no signs of abating. I apologize for how long this post is; I just want to give enough background info.

I am the sole caretaker for my extremely sick husband who has Parksinson's so my sudden disabling condition is disastrous for us. I'm not sure what to do. At first, I didn't connect these problems with withdrawing. My questions: Is is possible to have such a delayed, intermittant and strange reaction to reducing these meds? Also, is is advisable to up the Doxepin and to what degree?

Anytime I did up meds in the past I didn't suffer any major problems, but I've never been in such bad shape before. I'm not sure this can even be attributed to the Dox withdrawal. Has anyone else had migraine symtptoms start for the first time after reducing these meds? (Meds: current: 0.125 klonopin/night; 10 mg. Doxepin/night; new rx's for migrains:triptans, propranolol; toridol (glorified ibuprofen)).

Edited by KarenB
added paragraph breaks

ultram 100 mg. day

Klonopin - .35 mg./night

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back Sage, I'm sorry you've had to return and report new symptoms after so long. I found your original intro topic and have joined it with this one.

Migraines are common withdrawal symptoms, but its difficult to know if what you are experiencing is connected with tapering. When you have updosed in the past, has it stopped the migraines?

Please would you update your signature.

Here is a related topic:  Migraines, Headaches and Head Pressure - Symptoms and ...

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petunia. Thanks for your reply. I never updosed because of migraines because throughout these episodic migraines I never thought it had anything to do with tapering. I updosed sometimes because of poor sleep and I never had any bad reactions, just better sleep. However, this is a different animal altogether. I thought of going from 10 mg. to 15mg Doxepin. It may seem like a big jump, but I was used to far more and since tricyclic antidepressants are actually used for migraine, that leads me to suspect that the tapering of this med may be at the root of the migraines and increasing it may bring relief. I will update my med schedule on my next post. Is there anything that relieves the constant dizziness??

ultram 100 mg. day

Klonopin - .35 mg./night

• Moderator Emeritus

When you updosed previously, do you mean you just took a higher dose on an occasional night, or that you went back up to a higher dose in general?  Jumping around with the dose of these kinds of drugs is very destabilizing to the nervous system, we need to make changes gradually.

A small updose may help, here is some information from our reinstatement topic, which is also applicable to updosing:

• It takes at least 4 days for your body to fully register the addition (or updose) of a neuroactive drug. Unless you have an immediate bad reaction, observe your symptom pattern for about a week to see if the reinstatement is helping. If you have an immediate bad reaction, reduce or stop taking the drug.
  • After reinstatement (or updose), the amount of time needed to alleviate withdrawal symptoms (stabilizing) varies according to the individual. Relief can be felt immediately, after some weeks, or after some months.
  • Once you feel withdrawal symptoms are reduced after reinstatement (or updose), give your nervous system time to stabilize before attempting dosage reduction. Think in terms of months, not days.

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

and for future reference:  Tips for tapering doxepin (Sinequan, Zonalon)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes