DessertFlower

DesertFlower

Is this where I am supposed to say who I am and what I'm on, and/or, have stopped? I don't understand this "signature" thing at all. I am in full-on, heavy duty, serious, multiple symptom mode right now. For whatever it's worth, I started tapering myself off Amitriptylline over a month ago, by just taking two, 25mg tabs randomly. Not in any organised way. My Rx read "take two to three tabs at bedtime". I am DesertFlower, and I am very sick right now

Currently on: Have been on all Antidepressants approx four yrs

Trazodone: 200mg. Have tapered Benzos From unknown (massive) amounts since 2014, IAW Ashton Manual

Taper Complete, Now Off:

Amitriptylline (Elavil): 75mg. Started slow (sporadic) taper Jan 2015

Lithium Carbonate ER: 300mg (stopped cold turkey Jan 2015 after one month

Orig Dosage of 2nd Taper:

Remeron (Mirtazepine): 60mg

Taper now in Progress:

Remeron (Mirtazepine): 45mg

Benzodiazepines Currently On:

Diazepam (Valium): 5mg X 3

Clonazepam (Klonopin): 1mg X 3

DesertFlower again. Here is what I'm taking now (antidepressants and Benzos will be addressed in next post.) Asthma meds: Montelukast, (Singulair), 10 mg @ bedtime. Singulair Inhaler, 250/50, one puff a.m. & one puff p.m., Theophylline, 400mg ER, one tab a.m., Albuterol,(aka "rescue inhaler), as needed. Synthroid for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, 150 mcg, one tab one hr prior to eating. Premarin for hormone replacement, 0.625mcg, one tab a.m. Megestrol,appetite stimulating hormone, 40 mg, one tab twice daily. Modafanil (Provigil), for chronic fatigue syndrome, 200mg upon arising, Metaxalone (Skelaxin), for muscle spasms, 800mg, one tab as needed per six hrs. Guaifenesin, to thin/cough up mucous, 200mg, one to two tabs per day as needed, Ibuprofen, for headaches, 200mg, up to four tabs as needed. Docusate Sodium, strength unknown, adjunct to laxatives, two to six caps per night. Movantik, laxative specifically for opiate users, one 25mg tab daily. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), antihistamine, two 25mg tabs as needed. Fentanyl patch, 50mcg, one per 72 hrs for severe pain. Norco (Hydrocodone), 10/325mg, up to five tabs fail as need for breakthrough pain. Probiotic 10, one cap at bedtime. Vitamin C, calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin D because of Gastric Bypass Malabsorption Syndrome. "Hair, Skin & Nails supplement, two tabs daily.

Trazodone: 200mg. Have tapered Benzos From unknown (massive) amounts since 2014, IAW Ashton Manual

Taper Complete, Now Off:

Taper now in Progress:

DesertFlower now tackles current antidepressants/ Benzodiazepines. I'm took myself off Lithium Carbonate, 300mg ER, one tab once daily as adjunct to Ads (AntiDepressants) approx one month ago. My Psych threw it into the mix during one of my suicidal periods. I'm off Amitriptylline, two to three tabs nightly, 25mg ea (also acts as mild sedative. Started it approx five yes ago after a suicide attempt brought on by attempting to take Pristiq. In my opinion, this drug is far too dangerous to remain on the market. It precipitated psychosis, extreme paranoia, disassociation, depersonalization, and at least 12 different physical symptoms. Psych and I decided to return to the ADs of yesteryear, which worked a bit better, and helped my chronic insomnia too. Stopped it on Wed, 17 FEB 2016. I precipitated my own descent into AD hell, by breaking my glasses and misplacing my Psych's Taper instructions for the Mirtazepine (Remeron). I mistakenly read the Rx as take two, Three mg tabs at bedtime, when it was actually "take two 30mg tabs at bedtime. I also "jumped the gun", and started going down too far and too fast. On 27 Jan 2016, I was told to take one, 30 mg tab, and then half of one, for a total of 45mg at night for two weeks, then go down to 30mg for another two weeks, then just 15 mg for two weeks and done. But I mistakenly went directly to one, 30mg tab, while I was still coming off the Amitriptylline (Elavil). This brought on severe disassociation, depersonalization, severe anxiety and panic, crying jags, anger (rage), dizziness, big-time cognitive impairment, severe fatigue, dizziness, dramatically increased depression, irratibility, temper tantrums, severe memory impairment, complete loss of judgement logic, concentration, restlessness, flu-like symptoms, nausea, vomiting, inability to eat, itchiness, paranoia, a marked increase in insomnia, dramatically increased pain, and possibly other stuff I just can't remember. It took my Psych a full week to respond to my three phone calls for help. He then scolded me severely, and told me to go back up to 45 mg of Remeron. But the damage has apparently already been done. I feel a little better for a few hours, then much worse. Up, Down, Up, Down, ad infinitude. Here's the really fun part: I am still tapering off Benzos a full year from when I went cold turkey off a serious addiction. My "beloved" Psych, who introduced them to, just happened not to mention their powerful addictive properties whe he first started me on Ativan almost ten years ago. As tolerance increased, I "went shopping" for more, and my addiction reached the record-book stage. During one 72 hour period, I consumed approximately 1,090mg of Restoril, then went cold turkey, had a complex, partial (petit mal) seizure, followed by a blackout concussion from loss of muscle control and hitting my head repeatedly in the concrete floor. Yes folks, the fun never stops! I'm sorry, but I'm all in. Will write more tomorrow. Thank you all for being here, and I hope you can help lead me back to some semblance of what I laughingly refer to as "my life". Over and out, 24 FEB 2016, by DesertFlower.

Taper Complete, Now Off:

Taper now in Progress:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DesertFlower,

Welcome to SA.  It can be a bit complicated when you first get to SA to know how to use the site and when you are suffering symptoms it makes it even harder.  Don't worry though, the mods will move your posts and set up an Intro topic for you which will have your name as the topic name.  Once that is done, if you click Follow Topic (top right of page) you'll receive email notification when someone replies.

The instructions for Putting Your History in Your Signature.  If you are using a Phone or Tablet Instructions.  You can do this before your Intro topic is set up.  When you create your signature it is helpful if you can list all drugs, doses, dates and how you went off or reduced them.  Providing this information helps the staff to be able to offer suggestions.

Your Intro topic can be used to ask questions and for you to journal your progress.

I'll give you some links that you can start reading:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

It would also be a good idea to put all the drugs your are taking into the drug checker to check for interactions.  When you get the results, copy and paste it into your Intro topic for the mods to see.

All the best, CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome DessertFlower,

I moved your posts here to start your own introduction/update topic. You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Its a good idea to bookmark it or follow it, so its easy to find again.

As Chessie has suggested, it would make it easier for us if you would summarize your drug and tapering history in you signature.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

DesertFlower thanks you for your help.there is no possible way for me to list all med, dosages, durations of treatment, nor much more than what I'm on now, and trying to get off, but I will do the best I can.

Taper Complete, Now Off:

Taper now in Progress:

Welcome DesertFlower. 

You are in one of (if not) the best places on the interweb for help and guidance in removing the meds from your system safely and in a much better way than Docs seem to know how to proceed with.

Do try and fill in your meds history (as best you can) as it will enable the knowledgeable folk to be able to offer the best advice.

Namaste,

DC.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

PoetJester says hello to desertflower encourages her to fight the pharmacrap power. How is she at this probably perturbed and slightly demented hour? Don't let withdrawal turn you too sour. Robot PoetJester' friendship tester initiated. Peace.

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.