Laughing: Hello!

Laughing

Hello dear everyone!

I am here to learn about tapering. So far I like the slow method that I am reading about. It does seem to be daunting though, trying to learn how to make a liquid and measuring in ml, and the reductions ect. But I am willing to learn and hope you all dont mind me asking questions so I can can get it all straight in my head.

Also I am very stable right now, and dont know if I should try this, as it seems to be a difficult thing to do.

In fact I am feeling better than I have for years. I am hoping I make the right decision.

In a few months I will see my doctor and hopefully get a tapering prescription. So I have awhile to figure this all out.

Now if I can figure out how to attach my signature,

Sincerely,

Laughing

-Laughing-
'99 to '14, Zoloft for 15 years,(On various doses, last dose was 100mg. Somewhere between those years I was on 30 mg of remeron for 3 year's ) then switched to...
2014 to 2016,  Cymbalta 60mg and Remeron 45mg. 

Sept. 2016, Down to 22mg of remeron,

2020, I am now on 3 mg of cymbalta and 15 mg of remeron. 

2022, I am off of cymbalta! Blessed be God! And now hope to taper remeron.

July 2022...down to 7.5mg of Remeron.

Hi Laughing .  Welcome.  Great name . Off to a good start !   :).   

Tapering could seem daunting now , but with help & encouragement , you will be fine.  Feeling stable will help , as well . It's a good place to start from .  Thanks for adding your signature. Are you on Cymbalta and Remeron  ( both )  now ?  What dosage ?  

You don't necessarily need your doctor's approval to taper.

The recommended tapering method here is  a 10 % dosage reduction , every month , with the 10 % calculated on the last dosage. The amount of decrease is proportionate to the dosage and keeps getting smaller.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

We don't recommend tapering two drugs at once. Since Remeron ( Mirtazapine ) is more sedating , I would think that you would taper Cymbalta , first . However, that can be decided later.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first/

This is your Intro thread / journal to ask questions and monitor progress.  Have a read of the links / site and come back with any other questions you might have.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Welcome Laughing.

Nothing to add just wanted to say this is your lucky day finding sa.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thanks for the welcomes!

I am currently on 45mg of remeron and 60mg of Cymbalta.

For some reason I got it into my head to do the remeron first. I have heard that there is less of a chance of withdrawal symptoms with the remeron than the cymbalta? Also it seems easier to deal with the tablet form of the remeron than the capsule form of the cymbalta with all the little beads and such. I wanted to do the easier of the two first. Sucess builds sucess?

Also I forgot to mention about 10 years ago I was on remeron for about 3 years. I apparently got off of it fairly easy, my memory of those years are a bit foggy.

I certainly feel the sleepy effects of the remeron. It knocks me out cold. I don't wake in the middle of the night for anything. It actually concerns me that I can sleep so soundly and not hear anything.

So Ali, you think doing the cymbalta first, would be helpful?

-Laughing-
'99 to '14, Zoloft for 15 years,(On various doses, last dose was 100mg. Somewhere between those years I was on 30 mg of remeron for 3 year's ) then switched to...

Laughing.  I say that because you might need the " sleepy effects" of Remeron , as you are tapering.  Sleeplessness,  can be hard to deal with . If you read the link I gave you on  which drugs to taper first , you will see what I mean . It acts as a brake.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

hey Laughing

Whereabouts in the Midwest are you from?

PoetJester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Hello, Poet Jester. I would rather not say, if u don't mind!

-Laughing-

There is only one Laughing and i can tell you now, no one is .

Interactions between your selected drugs
Major mirtazapine duloxetine

Applies to: Remeron (mirtazapine), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using mirtazapine together with DULoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact with Interactions between your selected drugs and food
Moderate mirtazapine food

Applies to: Remeron (mirtazapine)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of mirtazapine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with mirtazapine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of mirtazapine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate duloxetine food

Applies to: Cymbalta (duloxetine)

DULoxetine may cause liver damage, and taking it with alcohol may increase that risk. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with DULoxetine. Call your doctor immediately if you have fever, chills, joint pain or swelling, excessive tiredness or weakness, unusual bleeding or bruising, skin rash or itching, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, dark colored urine, or yellowing of the skin or the whites of your eyes, as these may be symptoms of liver damage. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Therapeutic duplication warnings

Therapeutic duplication is the use of more than one medicine from the same drug category or therapeutic class to treat the same condition. This can be intentional in cases where drugs with similar actions are used together for demonstrated therapeutic benefit. It can also be unintentional in cases where a patient has been treated by more than one doctor, or had prescriptions filled at more than one pharmacy, and can have potentially adverse consequences.

Duplication Antidepressants

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'antidepressants' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'antidepressants' category:

• duloxetine (active ingredient in Cymbalta (duloxetine))
  • mirtazapine (active ingredient in Remeron (mirtazapine))

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi. I read the link on how to use a scale for measuring out beads in capsules. I am assuming that is what I might have to do for the cymbalta capsules.

Can a scale be used for tablets too?, instead of converting tablets to a liquid?

I am hesitant in converting the tablet to a liquid, as I might metabolize the liquid different that the tablet. Has anyone here used a scale to taper a tablet instead of converting to a liquid? Is there any links on this subject?

-Laughing-

Recovering paxil addict

Thanks!

-Laughing-

So if I crush a tablet and then weigh out the powder, and then scrape the correct amount of powder in a cup and then and a little liquid and gulp it down, does this sound doable?

The above link seems to talk about making a liquid dosage which I do not want to do. I want to make a powder dosage.

-Laughing-

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Laughing ,  welcome to the site.

Yes , a scale can be used for tablets and tablet fragments and dust.   As your dose goes down , it's actually easier

and less fiddly to make a liquid.

If you weigh your dose out , there's no need to make a liquid - just wash it down with a mouthful of water.

(swipe it with your finger and wipe it on your tongue).

Please could you add dosages and dates to your sig. , so we can see where you're at each time you post.

Best wishes , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Or if I take the weighed powder and scrape it into a gel cap and then swallow that?

-Laughing-

• Moderator Emeritus

You're making it more complicated than it needs to be.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh!

I will go to my settings and try to adjust my signature.

-Laughing-

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Laughing.

I feel I should point out the following thread , which talks about how to choose which drug to taper first.

It suggests we should decrease the more activating one first , which for you is cymbalta.

You may choose to go part way on the remeron taper , and then hold that for 6 months while you

taper cymbalta for while.

You don't need to decide now , just something to keep in mind.  Lots of people taper like this , alternating

so that they're bringing down 2 or more meds. concurrently.

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Fresh! I was reading your history. Looks like u were off of cymbalta and about 6 months later u had withdrawal? Any advice? Do u think u tapered too fast?

-Laughing-

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes , I did taper too fast.   And I didn't know about holds then . so I charged ahead , thinking the sooner I got off

the drugs  the better.

My advice is to go slow.  Do a cut , and give yourself 4-6 weeks if needed to recover before cutting again.

I wish I'd found this site sooner , but for whatever reasons , I guess the w/d was something I had to go through.

I've tapered from 50mg to 22.5mg in the past 12 months , and it's been the best , most stable , calm , fun

12 months I can remember.  I'm recovering as I go , developing new social connections , growing into the self

I was meant to be.   :)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Oh I am glad u are doing good now. You sound well! (As well as u can sound over the internet, hee hee)

-Laughing-

• 4 months later...

Hi Laughing any decisions on tapering?

Recovering paxil addict

Or if I take the weighed powder and scrape it into a gel cap and then swallow that?

If the pill is hard then what you might do is shave some off with a sharp knife until it's the required weight. That's what I have been doing anyhow.

However, if the pill is a capsule containing powder then it wouldn't be possible to do that I suppose. In that case perhaps you could mix the powder with a half a pint of water, and mix it well. Then drink 90% of the water and throw the rest down the drain! I'm not sure if that is advisable or not so see what other members think?

Previously - zopiclone, risperidone, lyrica (pregabalin), ativan (lorezapam)
01/Aug/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
12/Aug/2016 -  75mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
03/Oct/2016 -  70mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
29/Oct/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Nov/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Dec/2016 -  60mg effexor, 3.6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jan/2017 -  60mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
27/Mar/2017 -  54mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
23/Apr/2017 -  54mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
09/May/2017 -  75mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
08/Jun/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6.75mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jul/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
Sometimes valium. Not daily. Supplements - Sterols and Stanols.
Note : I would really hope that nobody uses my tapering history as a guideline. It might not work well for somebody else tapering similar medications.
  • Moderator Emeritus

blazes -- Cymbalta beads have an enteric coating required so that the medication isn't destroyed by stomach acid.  Creating a liquid isn't an option with Cymbalta (duloxetine) :(

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 4 years later...

What is going on? (topic moved from the Symptoms and Self Care Forum)

Hello everyone, I have been having alot of wierd symptoms and I do not know if it is withdrawal or not, or what in the world is going on. For 5 years I have been tapering off of cymbalta and remeron. I have gone from 60 mg of cymbalta down to 3 mg and 45mg of remeron to 15mg. The last time I tapered was in July. In October I started having these bizarre symptoms.  And what is really weird is that it happens every other day...sometimes it might vary every 2 days, but almost like clock work every other day.

I become extremely agitated,   and anxious. I start pacing the floor or rock back and forth. I sometimes feel suicidal.  I feel so desperate at these times. It can last an hour up to 6 hours or so.

My question is? Is this withdrawal? I want so much for a doctor to diagnose me, but I am not sure what doctor to go to.

I dont know if I should hold my meds (which I am doing) or up my meds, or try to finish tapering. I keep going around  and around about what to do.  If I taper are the symptoms going to get worse? I can't handle this anymore, it has been going on for 3 months and I dont know what to do.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

-Laughing-

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Laughing said:

I have gone from 60 mg of cymbalta down to 3 mg and 45mg of remeron to 15mg.

We recommend tapering only one drug at a time.  Otherwise (as may be the case in your situation) if there are problems you won't know the cause.  We recommend tapering the activating (stimulating) drug first, leaving the sedating drug for later tpering in order to preserve sleep.

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

In October I started having these bizarre symptoms.  And what is really weird is that it happens every other day...sometimes it might vary every 2 days, but almost like clock work every other day.

Symptoms come and go.  There's no way to predict their timing.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

I dont know if I should hold my meds (which I am doing) or up my meds,

I would hold where you are until you stabilize, which mean that symptoms are more or less the same every day without big swings or changes.  Once you've stabilized, I'd suggest you complete your Cymbalta taper while holding on the Remeron.  Once you've completed the Cymbalta taper, hold for 2 to 3 months, then (if you're feeling stable) you can resume the Remeron taper.

If I taper are the symptoms going to get worse?

If you are unstable, it is better to hold than to continue tapering.  Continued tapering will likely worsen symptoms.

t has been going on for 3 months

Unfortunately, three months isn't that long for withdrawal symptoms to continue.  

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

How fast did you taper the Cymbalta and Remeron? We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.  

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Some have taper more slowly.  Tapering two drugs at once complicates the situation.  

When you're ready to begin tapering the Cymbalta, this link is specifically about tapering Cymbalta.

Tips for tapering off duloxetine (Cymbalta)

I want so much for a doctor to diagnose me, but I am not sure what doctor to go to.

Doctors, including psychiatrists, know nothing about safe tapering and don't believe that withdrawal from antidepressants exists. See a doctor if you think that will make you feel better.  Be wary if you they want to put you on more psychiatric drugs.  

I become extremely agitated,   and anxious. I start pacing the floor or rock back and forth.

Agitation and inner and outer restlessness are typical withdrawl symptoms.

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation - Symptoms and ...

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I was only tapering cymbalta this past year.

I realize that I need to do only 1 med at a time. Thanks again for all the info. God bless you. 

-Laughing-

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Laughing, the lower doses are particularly hard to taper as the drug's effects do not diminish proportionally but rather a small dosage has a big effect and then as you add more drug the additional effect is smaller. So as you peel that away when tapering, getting down from 15 to 14 is not the same as going down from 3 to 2. You seem to be doing the right thing going very slowly and holding when needed. I want to reassure you that it is likely just a bump in the road and things will get better.  Try to hang on! 

Hope you are already feeling at least a bit better. This is tough but you are tougher! 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• 1 year later...

Want to taper, please advise.

Hello, I want to taper off of remeron and want to make sure that this tablet med is ok to cut/crush for a taper? And I understand that it might be wise to make it into a liquid form....but first want to make sure  a person can cut and/or make Remeron into a liquid as I have heard that some meds are altered if crushed/cut?

Thank you in advance! 

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

-Laughing-

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Laughing and welcome back to SA,

I have moved the new Intro topic to your original Intro topic, which is the place to ask questions specific to your situation and where you can also journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you don't need to repeat your story.  Only ONE Introduction topic per member.

Please note that I have also moved another topic which your created and put it with your Introduction topic, for the same reason, to keep your history in one place.

Please update your drug signature to show all the changes since 2020.  Thank you.  This link will go straight to your own drug signature and remember to Save

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Post #1 of this topic explains ways to get non standard doses:

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you Chessie! Just what I needed. God bless you! 

-Laughing-

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here could answer my concerns.

I am having some symptoms that are greatly bothering me and I was wondering if its just the meds causing them or because I am tapering? I am at such a low dose (7.5 mg of Remeron) that I was hoping I would see improvement,  I have had this off and on for a long time. Its just starting to bother me greatly again.

Its kind of hard to explain, 
Its kind of like a feeling of apathy or lethargy. 
I have to push myself to do things and keep busy and sometimes this helps, but this feeling is always in the back ground.  Sometimes the feeling is so great it causes me to be restless and agitated.
I am becoming very discouraged. 

Edited by ChessieCat
Resized font

-Laughing-

• Moderator Emeritus

At lower doses Remeron is more sedating.

Other members have had the same thing happen to them as their dose got lower.

Please update your drug signature.  There is no mention of Remeron 7.5mg.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

MIrtazapine is more sedating at lower the doses.  There is mentioned of it in Post #1 in this topic:

tips-for-tapering-off-mirtazapine-remeron

Unfortunately the link where the quote was taken from is broken.  The staff are trying to find it.

However, this provides the same information from:

https://www.psychdb.com/meds/antidepressants/nassa/mirtazapine

Why Do Lower Doses of Mirtazapine Cause More Sedation?

Mirtazapine acts mainly on 3 receptors: histaminergic, noradrenergic, and serotonergic receptors. However, at low doses (e.g. - 7.5 mg), mirtazapine has a higher affinity to (and thus preferentially blocks) the histamine-1 receptor, compared to the other 2 receptors.[2][3] At higher doses, this antihistamine activity is offset by increased noradrenergic transmission, which reduces its sedating effects.[4][5] Although sedation is expected at low doses, it is usually most noticeable in the first few weeks of therapy and diminishes with continued treatment.[6]

Thank you ChessieCat! I updated my signature. God bless.

-Laughing-

• Moderator Emeritus

Please don't try and taper off it fast otherwise you might make things worse if you get withdrawal symptoms

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,
    I am getting discouraged. I hope ya all dont mind me talking about it and trying to figure all this out.  I guess I am just feeling awful...and dont know if its just a med brain and I need to keep tapering or is it because of tapering and I need to hold?  It is hard to even describe what I am feeling as its not any drastic withdrawal symptoms.  I just feel awful.  I know thats vague....I will try to explain more....I just feel something is terribly wrong.    .....sometimes it just feels like my brain doesn't work or I just feel yucky.

I also have the insulated feeling....of not being able to connect with others...the zombie type of feeling...which is the meds...but this other feeling is just.... maybe depression? 
      If these meds goof up your brain chemistry how will it ever go back to normal? I just dont see how I can possibly heal after years of meds......
I am scared and feel stuck. 
I made a cut in my meds last night ...after waiting over a month since my last cut...
I hope I made the right decision. 
I just want to be able to connect with others again....I am tired of feeling like I am living in a fish bowl, behind glass, cut off from everyone else.
Thanks for listening. 

-Laughing-