Odwina: What if paxil reinstatement fails?

Odwina

Dear MamaP, dear JanCarol, dear Fresh, dear all,

't saw my GP in the afternoon, she didn't accept anything about withdrawal, it is all my previous condition worsened by my abrupt quitting of the drug after 20 years. I tried and tried to explain her, but realised everything was in vain. She told me to go back to 20 mg paxil immediately and I will get out of the terrible state where I am presently. But she was nice, called immediately the private clinic where I wanted to be hospitalised (in France this is largely supported by the insurance), just that they can receive me only on May 8th the earliest. She talked to the psychiatrist there, told her quickly my story, same advice, go back immediately to your initial dose. And the psychiatrist added Cyamezamine (tartrate) (Tercian), 25 mg, one half 3 times a day to calm me a bit and help me with the sleep. I tried to protest again saying that even 9 mg paxil make me very ill, how can I take 20 all of a sudden, but realising it was to no avail I asked her to refer me at least to the psychiatric emergency at the public hospital in Quimper. She was again nice, wrote a letter to them and I went straight there.

I had first a discussion with a psychiatric nurse, I think she made some kind of report, about one hour later I was called by the psychiatrist there, a very nice lady. From what I told her, she said that is clear that I became very sensitive to paxil, I have a paradoxical effect from it, so no matter how difficult it is without, better to stay away from it as it can't be worse than my current state. She said I should take the Tercian for my terrible anxiety and when I go to the clinic to ask them to replace deroxat with something else, in the meantime new drugs were created, maybe there is one that can replace paxil. So when I go to the clinic next week I will refuse to be put back on 20 mg of paxil.

I know you tell me to keep the dose and I understand the principle, but I think I developed in the meantime an understanding of the symptoms (as JanCarol says I am already stronger than when I came to SA...), yesterday when I was without paxil I could cope in the end and had an evening when I could solve a few things and today, again after taking the drug, extreme anxiety, feeling I was going to implode, terrible intrusive thoughts, I couldn't speak properly anymore, I was shaking, I tried to enter the supermarket I had a panic attack in only a few seconds (and it was almost empty there), it is no longer a coincidence, paxil makes me like this, my body just can't take it anymore. I was bad before reinstatement but now I am worse than ever. And another problem, after taking the paxil I feel like a loonie, like a really belong to a mental home! I will try to live this week till hospitalisation only with Tercian and see what it happens. Then I pray to GOD that they will be able (by trial and error) to find somehow a replacement to paxil to calm somehow this horrendous withdrawal. I lost 25 kilos in the last 6 months.

- on Paxil for more than 20 years, usual dosage 20 mg, in times of crises 40 or 60 mg (once even 80 for a few months!)

- 9 November 2015 - quit Paxil practically cold turkey (3 weeks tapering)

- 20 Feb 2016 - after 3.5 months on zero drug reinstated 14 mg paxil because of entering unbearable protracted wd

- reinstatement brought no relief, only worse, terrible akhatisia crises, sleep lost completely till I finally understood that my brain could no longer accept the slightest dose of paxil, so tapering after reinstatement became impossible

6 May - 1 October 2016 - in psychiatric clinic in France where I was given: Quitaxon (doxepine),  a tricyclic  - 50 mg - 6 weeks, no improvement, very bad side effects; doctor tried paxil again at only 5 mg and I became suicidal

- then Lexapro, 15 June - end August, very gradual increasing to 15 mg - zomboid only, released from clinic and had to be reatmitted after only a few days. remeron tried too, rejected violently by the body

- 1 sept 2015 - back in clinic changed directly  for Effexor over 4 weeks rising from 37.5 to 187.5 mgs at discharge on 2nd October; 12 October 2015 - decided tapering effexor as it only made me very sick, every 3 weeks dropped 37.5 mg

- 26 Dec - zero effexor, tried prozac and then clomipramine bridge, both rejected

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Odwina

• Fresh

• Ali4

• AliG

Top Posters In This Topic

So, it seems now that the title of my thread was quite prophetic, my reinstatement really failed and made things only worse. I made it only to avoid protracted withdrawal and I am in full protracted withdrawal. If I am to look back, nothing has improved after reinstatement. Insomnia started only after reinstatement, profuse sweating and tingling after, I could no longer drink any wine or a bit of spicy food after, complete lack of motivation after, total lack of joie de vivre after, so maybe my story will be able to help other SA members a bit. After more than 3 months break reinstatement is really like a lottery, no guarantee it will take you out of the protracted withdrawal, it can even make things worse. And anyway about these psychotic drugs the only sure thing is that nothing is sure. Our brains are so different, maybe in my case acupuncture also played a part, I don't know anything anymore, I am just curious to see what can be worse than everything that happened in the last 9 weeks after reinstatement. Sure, as paxil is a beast with countless heads and whenever one cuts a head, 10 more grow immediately afterwards, anything is possible and there are no limits whatsoever for the horrendous suffering after trying to give up this poson.

- on Paxil for more than 20 years, usual dosage 20 mg, in times of crises 40 or 60 mg (once even 80 for a few months!)

- 20 Feb 2016 - after 3.5 months on zero drug reinstated 14 mg paxil because of entering unbearable protracted wd

- reinstatement brought no relief, only worse, terrible akhatisia crises, sleep lost completely till I finally understood that my brain could no longer accept the slightest dose of paxil, so tapering after reinstatement became impossible

6 May - 1 October 2016 - in psychiatric clinic in France where I was given: Quitaxon (doxepine),  a tricyclic  - 50 mg - 6 weeks, no improvement, very bad side effects; doctor tried paxil again at only 5 mg and I became suicidal

- then Lexapro, 15 June - end August, very gradual increasing to 15 mg - zomboid only, released from clinic and had to be reatmitted after only a few days. remeron tried too, rejected violently by the body

- 1 sept 2015 - back in clinic changed directly  for Effexor over 4 weeks rising from 37.5 to 187.5 mgs at discharge on 2nd October; 12 October 2015 - decided tapering effexor as it only made me very sick, every 3 weeks dropped 37.5 mg

- 26 Dec - zero effexor, tried prozac and then clomipramine bridge, both rejected

Odwina,

So so sorry you are going through such a terrible time after reinstate Paxil .

I want to share my experience and belief about the harm from reinstate for people who deemed can't go back the drug.

My newly developed reaction to lexapro is a much lighter version of reinstate, as I never stopped the dose. It happened only after a super long hold at one dose during slow taper. It seems my body is used to and can only flow with a steady taper not long hold.

So after I realized the cause of my many new severe symptoms, I picked up my pace of reduction which helped every single time even just a tiny (1%) drop with the drug reaction. Since I'm at the same time dealing with WD, so I have to cut doses as fast as possible but not too fast to make the WD symptoms too unbearable.

One strategy worked for me dealing with the strong reaction is to split the daily dose to multiple over the period of 12 + hours. Yes, I have been taking the poison all the time when I'm not sleeping but it made the reaction bearable and allowed me reducing doses gradually instead cold turkey. I'm still in this battle but I felt I had to either cold turkey or switch meds which I know a even more terrifying hell.

I wonder if you want to try while waiting for a long term solution from your doctors.

Hugs to you for some comfort,

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Odwina,

So so sorry you are going through such a terrible time after reinstate Paxil .

I want to share my experience and belief about the harm from reinstate for people who deemed can't go back the drug.

My newly developed reaction to lexapro is a much lighter version of reinstate, as I never stopped the dose. It happened only after a super long hold at one dose during slow taper. It seems my body is used to and can only flow with a steady taper not long hold.

So after I realized the cause of my many new severe symptoms, I picked up my pace of reduction which helped every single time even just a tiny (1%) drop with the drug reaction. Since I'm at the same time dealing with WD, so I have to cut doses as fast as possible but not too fast to make the WD symptoms too unbearable.

One strategy worked for me dealing with the strong reaction is to split the daily dose to multiple over the period of 12 + hours. Yes, I have been taking the poison all the time when I'm not sleeping but it made the reaction bearable and allowed me reducing doses gradually instead cold turkey. I'm still in this battle but I felt I had to either cold turkey or switch meds which I know a even more terrifying hell.

I wonder if you want to try while waiting for a long term solution from your doctors.

Hugs to you for some comfort,

Lex

Dear Lex,

I do not know who really understand these psychotic drugs, I bet not even the producers, well, not that they really bother about this.

In my case it proved to be a mistake to give up paxil, as poison as it was it helped me to get through life (many of the people here were given these drugs for trifles such as some slight depression or some pains, so they are right to do every effort possible to get rid of them), I have some problems. But now my body wouldn't accept it anymore. Paxil can't be split in so many doses and tapering would last years. Even on 9 mg I become suicidal, I shake, I have terrible akhatisia, this has been 2 months already, I just can't go on like this. Even the complete loss of sleep was produced by the reinstatement.

I just wonder if doctors cannot replace the old drug with another one and in this way stop this protracted withdrawal. I just cant continue like this anymore. In one week I go to hospital.

• Administrator

Dear MamaP, dear AliG, dear JanCarol, dear Fresh, dear all,

On the day of the journey I didn't take any paxil fearing it would knock me down. ...

Odwina, we have repeatedly urged you to keep your dosing consistent and be patient. This is something you have not done throughout your reinstatement. You have made the title of your Intro topic come true.

Because of your inconsistency, it's impossible to tell if you are having adverse reactions to Paxil, continuing withdrawal symptoms, or reactions to irregular dosing. You may have added to or created some of your symptoms.

One thing is clear: You do not want to take Paxil.

If you do not wish to continue with your reinstatement of Paxil, you will have to deal with withdrawal syndrome.

We cannot tell you of another drug or drug combination to repair your withdrawal syndrome, we don't know what that would be. All we can say is be very careful taking another drug, as your nervous system is probably very sensitive to any psychiatric drug.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Dear MamaP, dear AliG, dear JanCarol, dear Fresh, dear all,

On the day of the journey I didn't take any paxil fearing it would knock me down. ...

Odwina, we have repeatedly urged you to keep your dosing consistent and be patient. This is something you have not done throughout your reinstatement. You have made the title of your Intro topic come true.

Because of your inconsistency, it's impossible to tell if you are having adverse reactions to Paxil, continuing withdrawal symptoms, or reactions to irregular dosing. You may have added to or created some of your symptoms.

One thing is clear: You do not want to take Paxil.

If you do not wish to continue with your reinstatement of Paxil, you will have to deal with withdrawal syndrome.

We cannot tell you of another drug or drug combination to repair your withdrawal syndrome, we don't know what that would be. All we can say is be very careful taking another drug, as your nervous system is probably very sensitive to any psychiatric drug.

Dear Alto, it is not that I do not want to take paxil anymore, I would gladly take it if it helped me. I just did that rapid tapering even you suggested when one month after reinstatement things were only worse. Afterwards there were only 2 mg fluctuations, from 8 to 10 then 9. It is just too much of a coincidence to behave like sb who really belongs to a mental home one hour after taking the dose. I would have never made it to France if I had taken paxil that day.

There are people who just develop these paradoxical effects from the old drug. Everything is possible with these psychotic drugs and our brains are unique. How could I have still continued to take the drug when having such horrible symptoms? How could I have tapered? How many years? There is a limit still for human suffering.

Even the psychiatrist in Quimper confirmed when I told her my symptoms that my body wouldn't accept paxil anymore and that it should be replaced.

I still need a drug, this is sure, I just pray the doctors, as I will be in hospital, will be able to find something by monitoring me.

• Administrator

Sorry, Odwina. You have been varying your dosage in a way that we cannot tell where your symptoms are coming from.

If you believe you need treatment by a doctor or hospital, please seek it.

You will need to make your choices, we can't make them for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Odwina - 

Your reinstatement didn't fail - it didn't have a chance with (as Alto said) changing doses and skipping doses.  You were in full blown protracted withdrawal when we tried the reinstatement, so we don't know if it would have helped or not.  But your symptoms were not worse than some which have been reduced by reinstatement.

This is water under the bridge; time to move forward now.

Are you in hospital now?

It will be difficult to be in charge when you are in hospital, you will have to take drugs as prescribed.

It is possible - and a new (but still rare) trend with the sedative drug* to use it for just a short while, to calm down, to rest.  Under 10 days, and you may be able to quick-taper to get off of it.  Be aware that doctors are trained to say, "you will need this the rest of your life."  There are studies which show otherwise - that people do better the less time they spend on these neuroleptic drugs.  So keep that in mind going forward.  I don't know much about that particular drug, but 3x a day seems like a lot, even on a 1/2 tablet.

*also called "major tranquilizer" or "neuroleptic" or "anti-psychotic" - though it is not anti anything, really, except anti-brain

Please let us know what your new antidepressant is, too. (the "modern" ones are barely different to the older ones, they just usually cost more money.)   If you get one that you don't react to, plan on staying on it for months, to restabilize.  Keep asking for the "lowest possible dose" because what happened with Paxil scared you so much.

"Can I try this on the lowest possible dose?  Just to make sure it won't hurt me?"

The important thing is - you are alive.  You have survived this ordeal, and live to fight again another day.

If, when you are feeling better, you want to try again, and are ready for a slow, careful taper, you know where we are!

I hope you are feeling better soon.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Dear JanCarol,

Thank you very much for your nice words, of course that I know where you are and I remain yours...

I guess the only rule about these psychotic drugs is that there is no rule, this is the very sad truth. My faith is in GOD that He will help me somehow. I am for sure not at all well, but the terrible crises I had in the last weeks stopped.  I was living by the minute, it was unbearable. Now somehow I can function, I can drive the car short distances, I can go to the supermarket. The last day I took paxil I entered the supermarket for only one minute and the panic invaded me, I had to run away. I looked like a mad person, now I am not well, but I can talk normally at least.

I try to reduce that drug as much as possible, this morning I only took one quarter because it made me feel quite drugged yesterday. When I go to the clinic, I will refuse to be put back on 20 mg paxil because I know this would be the wrong approach. And for trying new drugs, I will ask them to try first with small quantities, of course. And if they manage to find one suiting me of course I will stay there a long time (my intention was the same with paxil, just that it didn't work out)

Lots of thanks as usual

O

Odwina,

I want to share my recent experience with you in hopes that it may help ease your distress, two weeks ago I was admitted into the hospital after the suicidal thoughts consumed me, I was afraid and couldn't cope anymore, after 3 months of a reinstatement, in the two weeks I have been here, my life has turned around for the better and I'm back too me, the doctors listened to me and understood what was happening to me, I went back on my full dose of celexa and was immediately feeling better, they did not push more drugs on me, they are making sure I stabilize nicely and then my phyciatrist will work with me on a nice slow taper. All the decisions have been MINE not there's, they are working with me not against me. I wish you luck in the hospital and they treat you the way I have been treated. Praying for you Ali

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

Odwina,

I want to share my recent experience with you in hopes that it may help ease your distress, two weeks ago I was admitted into the hospital after the suicidal thoughts consumed me, I was afraid and couldn't cope anymore, after 3 months of a reinstatement, in the two weeks I have been here, my life has turned around for the better and I'm back too me, the doctors listened to me and understood what was happening to me, I went back on my full dose of celexa and was immediately feeling better, they did not push more drugs on me, they are making sure I stabilize nicely and then my phyciatrist will work with me on a nice slow taper. All the decisions have been MINE not there's, they are working with me not against me. I wish you luck in the hospital and they treat you the way I have been treated. Praying for you Ali

Dearest Ali,

Thank you so much for your encouragements and sharing a good experience with me! I really needed it! Thank you for your prayers, you are also in my prayers! I am so glad you are doing much-much better than before and that the hospital proved to be a helping place (just as it should be) and not a scary one.

Love

O

You will get through this ☺ stay strong odwina xo Ali

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Hope your doing well odwina (((( hugs))))) Ali

Hope your doing well odwina (((( hugs))))) Ali

Oh, dearest Ali, not well at all. Overlapping to withdrawal it is also a major life crisis which would require big effort to get out of (how? when on withdrawal?). I can't expect to find any specialist in withdrawal in this place. Friday is the day to be admitted in hospital. I am down, very down, although I wish so much to be different.

You will get there Odwina, my wis he's for you is that the hospital will help and take care of you, hang on only a few more days. Lots of prayers Ali

You will get there Odwina, my wis he's for you is that the hospital will help and take care of you, hang on only a few more days. Lots of prayers Ali

Scared to death, Ali, I wont be able to find sb understanding withdrawal as you did. In my case reinstatement to full initial (the ideal. as it was for you) dose seems impossible as I had terrible adverse reactions to much smaller quantities of drug. I am so desperate.

Hang in there, hope your well Ali

Odwina I am curious about the acupuncture has it ever caused you pain?  

Hello btdt, I think it is very important to find a good acupuncturist, I read the acupuncture thread here and there were people saying they were worse after acupuncture. If the acupuncturist works in soothing the nervous system it can only help. Most of the time I had a crisis here in Romania, the acupuncturist dr was able to get me out of it. So the answer is that it has never caused me pain, just on the contrary, I got relaxed and even slept on the bed there.

I was ok for the first few treatments walked a bit slower when I left thought process was slower is all I noticed then the last treatment my back hurt a bit she pulled one needle out and then my leg went tingly then heavy then completely numb and my foot and calf on my other leg went numb .... 

I think I am done with this... all she said is she would not charge me for that treatment and maybe I reacted because I had a food reaction a wk or so before....

I don't know if I believe her... but I am off acupuncture 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

I replied to the post above an old one admittedly before checking your recent history... tho I read it I am not sure what is up with you just now are you in hosp... home ok not ok... 

please update when your able.. 

I wish you peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 4 months later...

Odwina are you able to give an update?...proof of life? anything?....

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 4 months later...

I am.about to reinstate at a low level with effexor after rapid taper from 297.5mgs over 4 months

Have tried 10 mgs today and this calmed the situation quickly can o go. Any lower tomorriw ad I don't want long taper afterwarfs

Perhaps you might like to update your drug sig...

Are you saying you got off the 10mg paxil back in april last yr then got put on 300 mg or so of effexor and then tapered off that over 4 months and now suffering withdrawal symptoms? and now reinstating effexor ?

Oh yeah its just one intro thread per person.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Was in clinic for 5 months with various drug cocktails and ended up discharged with effexor at 387.5 mgs was so drowsy and nauseous that doctor suggested rapid taper 5 weeks after starting effexor

Withdrawal symptoms and anxiety followed 3 weeks after last cut from 37.5 to zero

Tried a 10 mgs dose today and it has dramatically improved everything but wonder if say 2 or even 5 mgs would be enough

That should be 187.6 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Odwina,

The information that you have given about doses and dates you have taken Effexor is a bit confusing.  It will be helpful if you could post again in a simple list starting from September 2016 what drugs, doses (with approx dates) you have been taking.

Having accurate information will help the mods be able to offer suggestions.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

was in clinic from may 3rd 2016

Given Quitaxon a tri cyclic - cant remember dose but 2 tablets -  for 2 months ( with Deroxat at 4 mgs am and pm)  mertazipine and defanyl  -then switched to Lexapro at 20  mgs for 2 months rising to 40 mgs at discharge but suddenly reduced to 20 and no mertazipin at discharge  and this was rejected one week later by body

back in clinic changed directly  for Effexor over 5 weeks starting end august rising from 37.5 to 187.5 mgs at discharge on 2nd October

GP decided this too was rejected and did rapid  taper starting 12 October after 6 weeks of drug reducing by 37.5 mgs every 2 weeks and stopped on 26th Dec when she replaced with Prozac 20 mg but only took 11 tablets because it was clearly being rejected

so free of all drugs till now except she tried seresta for three days as anxiety control  23 Jan to 25 jan and this was rejected too

in clinic daily use of lexomil at 4.5 mgs and occasional tercian 12.5 mgs

body now rejects all benzo products

took 10 mgs of Effexor this morning and  felt light headed but day has been excellent

thinking of 5 ms Effexor tomorrow

so summary

May 2nd  to june 15th   quitaxon I think at 500 mgs ( combined with 4 days deroxat at 4 mgs am  and pm (rejected) )  and 3 mgs lexomil am and 1,5 lexomil pm  with 12.5 tercian night and defanyl booster for quitaxon

june 16 th till  august 30th Lexapro 20 mg rising to 40 mgs with mertazipine from 1st august  and reduced 28th august to 20 mg  lexapro and mertazipine ( full tablet )stopped.also 28th august  but with   with benzo 4.5 and terciam 12.5 daily throughout clinic period

lexapro stopped august 30th and replaced with Effexor  five  days  75mgs   then 3 weeks  150 mgs  and 0ne week 187,5.

discharged 2nd oct  started taper Effexor  12th October at 37.5 mgs each 14 days aprox  with final Effexor on 26th DEc

11 days of Prozac  and intermittent lexomil 1.5mgs  and tercian 12.5 mgs from 26th dec to 4th jan

3 days Seresta  23rd to 25th Jan 50 mgs night  and 10 mgs am  and pm

Clear that my body does not want anything and withdrawal of Effexor was  very hard but much  better after 10 mgs reinstatement today

a real cocktail  but I  am confident that I can get off Effexor with a little reinstatement

It appears to me that you have not read or listened to or had any interest whatsoever in following any  advice from Alto or moderators.

Could you confirm if you are enquiring on behalf of a family member or third party?

Recovering paxil addict

It is for myself for nobody else. I am alone and live by myself. Why do you ask. I have been in the hands of French doctors who do not believe in rejection at all nor of withdrawl beyond the manufacturers claims

Okay thanks for clarifying, i apologise for my questioning of your membership status.

Did you know that deroxat is the same as paxil?

I feel so angry on your behalf that the med profession have done this to you.

How do you feel about updating your drug signature.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

I sent a long reply last night to allow moderator to understand what was happening. Is this not enough?

• Moderator Emeritus

Odwina,

Moderators and members who like to answer questions are not going to read all of your posts; you now have over 240 in this topic. Putting your most recent changes in your signature means that we can see your ENTIRE  history below every post you make.

There are always many people on the site who have questions they want answered. If you make it easy for us to get the complete story, you'll get better answers and you'll get them sooner.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

updated signature as requested

Did rapid taper from 187.5 to zero from Oct 12 to dec 26th

Worried that i may have stored up future hard times with this taper

wonder if i shoul try a small reinsttement at say 10 mgs or even 7 and then taper that off

tried 10 mgs over weekend but it induced light fuzzy head need ing bed for two hours

But   had three better days after introducing the 10 mgs.

Use lexomil fot the panic attacks that i now suffer as never before in lifetime after zero effexor

have ordered Inositol to try and stabilise anxiety in absence of ssri or snri

Do you have feeling on so short a period of effexor and rapid withdrawal and any need to reinstate and taper

dont want to live with uncertain days ahead

• Moderator Emeritus

Odwina,

Are you taking Effexor or Effexor XR (extended release)?

Your last dose of Effexor (venlafaxine) was 37.5 mg on Dec. 26 2016, 5 weeks ago. If you experienced some relief after taking 10 mg, I think you may have found a workable reinstatement dose for yourself. If you'd rather try 7 mg, try that.

Many people have start-up effects, such as nausea or feeling "fuzzy-headedness," that go away after a few days.

Reinstatement works for some people and not for others. The decision is always yours to make. Please read or re-read the posts in this topic:
About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

If you choose to reinstate, you would be wise to give it at least 2 weeks. If you have a moderate or severe negative reaction to the medication, stop taking Effexor.

After reinstating It may take some time for your symptoms to settle or to disappear completely.  Please read or re-read the posts in this topic:
How long to stabilize after reinstating or updosing.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Odwina,

Thank you for updating your signature.  I think you might have put 2015 instead of 2016.  Could you please check this and correct if necessary?  Thanks.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

i am still considering reinstating

as i was on Effexir for just under 4 months is it likely that i will escape protracted withdrawal if I do not reinstate. The taper was very fast as I was asleep all the time on Effexor

Effexor was a direct replacement/switch  for Lexapro that I took for 8 weeks previously  so will this have an effect on the possibility of protracted withdrawal

Thank you Scallywag for your informative reply sorry for the delay in replying I have been quite ill for a few days after a few good days at weekend . I stopped a potential reinstatement after 2 days Sat and Sunday  and Monday evening was a perfect evening but then things deteriorated.  Was this likely to be because of stopping after two small reinstatement doses of 10 mgs Saturday and 7 mgs  Sunday

I am in a state of confusion and indecision over my withdrawal from Effexor and whether or not I need to reinstate or if I am progressing  in a good direction towards recovery

I was on the drug for just 4 months  but started the rapid taper after 7 weeks because of unbearable side effects . I reduced from 187.5 to zero in the period 12th October to 26th Dec 2016  and have been on a bit of an up down period since with lots of tiredness and I did have insomnia till recently. Before this drug I was on Lexapro 20 mgs for 8 weeks in  clinic  and Effexor was a direct switch for the Lexapro with no tapering off the Lexapro. So I m wondering if this period of 8 weeks Lexapro will in effect extend the period  "on drugs"  to include Lexapro period

I am worried that I am not progressing and started a reinstatement with Effexor on Sat last and sunday with just 10 mgs Saturday and 7 mgs Sunday and then stopped because of reaction of extreme light head  but I did note a better afternoon both days and a perfectly normal afternoon and evening Monday that was just like my old self with no drug effects or untoward feelings.

Since then I have been back to the up down of feeling lethargic, not able to concentrate, not interested in showering brushing teeth or any routine jobs and had yesterday in bed all day with nausea and extreme fatigue. I have started heavy night sweating with hot needles or ants feeling especially mornings and have no real appetite and want to rest all the time and feel I want to be in bed most of the while . I struggle to go out and shop and did have agoraphobia and panic attacks for several days last week and over the weekend but these have stopped.  My GP gave me Lexomil benzo (bromazepam) 1.5 mgs to take am. and pm.  but I have stopped these because I felt they were aggravating the tiredness and lethargy

Currently I sleep reasonably after a long period of insomnia and  get about 6 hrs a night and can get back to sleep if I wake. I just dont feel alive at all and wonder if I will emerge from this state slowly of if it is a protracted withdrawl setting in which needs a reinstatement and then taper off

I really do not want to reinstate if at all possible to avoid it as the side effects of Effexor on me are horrendous and cause me complete sleepy drowsy all the day  nausea and  headaches plus a worse state of lethargy with life than presently. But I wonder if I will get out of his just by waiting and living through it one day at a time.

I have lost completely any joy in life and drag myself through each day and actually look forward to bed as a respite from the sheer boredom of the days I am living.

Has anyone had experience with Effexor withdrawal and the signs to look for requiring a reinstatement or of a passage to recovery.  I m now completely lost in the management of my condition and need some outside input to give me an idea what I should  do. My life is at a standstill

Today  after a terrible day in bed yesterday I am a bit mor alive but still lethargic with life and routines of lf and find it hard to motivate myself even to eat

I have just started Inositol  powder at 2 time 2 gms a day  with the intention to build intake to 18 gms over the next few weeks to give a control over anxiety if this product works for me. So far  no reactions to this.

I would appreciate any inputs on where I seem to be from others experiences and any idea if I am heading for protracted withdrawal  as I stopped Effexor on 26th dec 2016