BustOfPallas: SRPE - A male form of PGAD?

BustOfPallas

Hello all,

I'm new here.  I had been searching the web for PGAD and found this forum.  I did take ADs when I was younger and lost a good chunk of my life to them.  I don't metabolize them well, this is genetic, and they made me sicker.  This was pre-internet so it caused me a lot of developmental issues and huge self esteem issues because they just wreck your ability to orgasm and as a young man that will mess you up bad.

Anyway I got off them, got a job, a relationship, sex got great, life got great.  Here I am 20 years later and I have a wife and three awesome children from 8 to 16.

Why am I here?

Some time after quitting prozac and getting a life I developed a condition known as SRPE, Sleep Related Painful Erections.  For the ladies with PGAD imagine waking at night with uncomfortable arousal that hurts more than anything and wakes your from REM sleep every night.  It's horrible.   I never knew what it was then through the internet I found there are research papers on this phenomenon and also a lot of guys that have it.   Not enough that anything is being done about it but enough for me to know that I am not alone.

I have a theory that this is drug induced.  I am hoping by putting this here I will find a sympathetic community and possibly link some men like me so we can talk about it.

I am able to control it somewhat with the drug Baclofen.  Doctors I saw about this were not helpful, I found this therapy through research papers thank god.  I can sleep only if I take Baclofen every day which sucks because I don't like needing drugs and Baclofen has issues itself.

Ladies out there with PGAD, you have my deepest sympthies.  There is nothing worse than unwanted, painful sexual arousal.  People don't understand how horrible this is and the shame stigma is a big impediment to getting the support you need.

Thanks for listening.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome BustOfPallas,

Thank you for joining and sharing your story, I'm sorry about what you've been through. How long after you quit Prozac did this condition start? How did you go off Prozac?

Its unfortunate that you now have to take a drug to control it, but great that you found something which helps. Perhaps you would like to add to our PGAD discussion topic:  Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder (PGAD) - Symptoms and ...

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Welcome BustOfPallas,

Thank you for joining and sharing your story, I'm sorry about what you've been through. How long after you quit Prozac did this condition start? How did you go off Prozac?

Its unfortunate that you now have to take a drug to control it, but great that you found something which helps. Perhaps you would like to add to our PGAD discussion topic: Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder (PGAD) - Symptoms and ...

Petunia.

Thanks Petunia.

I will do that.

• 2 years later...

Hallo, 
Thanks for your post. I'm struggling with the same issue now for 8 years. Have you find a lasting breakthrough in the meantime?? 

If not, I'm planning to do active research on this in the hope to find answers/solutions. I'm busy creating a group of men from all over the word who struggles with Sleep Related Painful Erections (SRPE). I will also be sending out a questionnaire to partake in; in the hope to "connect the dots". There has to be one reason and a sollution! Do you want to partake in this? You are welcome to use a different name (if confidentiality is important to you). Mail me: help.srpe AT gmail.com. Thanks. Mr Researcher

• Administrator

Hello, Srpe. Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.