Melody is trying to get off Zoloft right

melody

I was not aware of the 10% reduction rule. I tapered my Zoloft, which isn't helping my severe depression, at a pace I felt was comfortable. My doctor had suggested dropping to 50 mg for two days and getting off. That sounded like "cold turkey" so I didn't do it. The pharmacist said drop to 50 mg. for a week than 25 mg. every other day. I didn't do that either. 

I reduced by 25 mg every week. I haven't felt any withdrawal symptoms that I'm aware of. My sleep was affected two days but it's not great right now anyway. I was planning to go down to 12.5 for a week and go off when I randomly read about someone who tapered in 4 weeks after being on the medication 5 weeks and was sick for a long time. 

I have pretty severe depression. It came on after my pdoc increased my Klonopin (after my sister's overdose death). I haven't found a medication that works yet but I need/desire to get off this Zoloft without suffering long-term withdrawal or later experiencing withdrawal. I didn't even know that a delayed withdrawal was possible. I was just going by my symptoms. 

I took 25 mg today. Quite honestly I don't know if that was updosing or not. It is possible that yesterday I dropped down to 12.5 mg. We had issues going on and I was haphazard with my medication. That's on me. 

I don't know if I will be okay doing a slower taper from 25 mg since the only symptoms I have right now is some mild gastric sensations. Is it really necessary for me to do 10% reductions when I was only on this medication for 7 weeks? Do I trust my symptoms OR follow a slower reduction schedule (I have a scale) to avoid long term issues. 

And have I already created a problem for myself by going so fast to begin with?  I haven't felt symptomatic. But then again I already am depressed, etc. 

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm not used to these forums. 

Edited by scallywag
tags added

Klonopin 2.0 mg 1994-2015
Klonopin increased to 3.25 Sept. 2015 (no longer controlling anxiety and caused depression) Significant life event: lost sister to overdose
Seroquel Nov. 2015-present 150 mg. (does nothing for depression but sometimes lets me sleep--I want to taper off) 
Zoloft 100 Dec. 2015-mid Jan. 2016 (unhelpful for depression so began to wean off) 
Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 
Zoloft 25 mg (1 week) holding

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2136-1391,2136-6566,703-357,1979-1274,2057-1348

Hi Melody-- welcome to the group. I'm so glad you found us, I think we will have some good help for you.  This is the right place to post this sort of question.  Don't worry about the other post I can take care of that. This thread will be your journal for keeping track of your progress, for asking questions, connecting with others, ranting, raving and complaining.

These drugs are very powerful and very sneaky so they have to be handled carefully to get off of with a minimum of discomfort.  One bad thing they have in common is delayed onset of symptoms.  Many people who CT report that they feel fantastic for a month or so after they get off.  Then one day wham, they get blindsided with symptoms.  This can also happen with a taper that is too fast.  Please be careful about reading what other people are going through.  Each person is very individual in how they react to a taper.  You are in a very good position to come off the Zoloft because you've only really been on the two drugs as compared to the cocktails for five or six that a lot of our members are on.

What we need is a more detailed breakdown of your drug use.  Starting dosage and date and more details on how you've tapered so far.  If you would fill in a signature block it would be really helpful.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I  will update my signature because I am on three drugs. I wish I'd never gone on any of them but I guess it's too late for that. Let me figure out how to update my signature and thanks for deleting my misplaced post. 

Klonopin increased to 3.25 Sept. 2015 (no longer controlling anxiety and caused depression) Significant life event: lost sister to overdose
Seroquel Nov. 2015-present 150 mg. (does nothing for depression but sometimes lets me sleep--I want to taper off) 
Zoloft 100 Dec. 2015-mid Jan. 2016 (unhelpful for depression so began to wean off) 
Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2136-1391,2136-6566,703-357,1979-1274,2057-1348

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Melody , welcome.

Instructions for filling out your signature are here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

" Is it really necessary for me to do 10% reductions when I was only on this medication for 7 weeks? "

You're right , after a short time you should be able to taper quicker.

Perhaps plan to stay on 25mg daily for the moment.

We can be more specific once details are clearer.

It's a good move to get off now. If your depression is situational due to your sister's death ,

ad's are unlikely to help. Grief is grief , and needs to be respected and allowed to heal naturally.

Best wishes , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Please forgive the bluntness of my first post. I didn't realize it was my introduction. I wanted to say, although it's not related to my current Zoloft taper dilemma that I had an episode of depression in 1994 after a series of deaths and major move. That is when I was first started on Klonopin (I knew nothing about the drug) and Pamelor. I don't recall when I got off Pamelor but I didn't taper. That wasn't on purpose. It was out of ignorance. 

On two occasions my Klonopin was briefly increased PRN. By this time I'd learned of its addictive nature so I didn't take it regularly. On Sept. 1 after my mother had a medical emergency I had what might be called a "breakdown." My anxiety went sky-high and I couldn't sleep more than a few hours. I turned to my long-time pdoc (who I had only seen on a rare occasion) and he suggested increasing the Klonopin dose. I agreed but it did nothing to help. Since this is a forum about antidepressants, I'll move on to that. Let's just say I've made a number of decisions I wish I could take back. I found Claire Weekes' books after increasing the meds. It helped me understand what was happening physically. I think my sister's death was the catalyst but I was in shock for a bit. 

Anyway, I've tried three of four meds but haven't been able to tolerate them. I'd never been able to tolerate an SSRI in my life. They all made me extremely nervous. I felt desperate so I agreed to try Zoloft. I started at 12.5 mg and worked my way up. I was surprised to not feel any side effects with the increases. But I didn't receive any help for my depression. So at 100 mg I called my doc and he said to take it for two days and go off. That is where this story should have started. I knew that was not right but had no idea there was a discontinuation syndrome associated with Zoloft. 

I already know I'm in a mess with Klonopin and Seroquel. I want off Seroquel or at least want to taper down because I'm very afraid of the side effect profile. But I think I need to get rid of the Zoloft first since it is doing nothing. I do want to do it safely. But I don't want to prolong it unnecessarily either. I was on it for a total of 7 weeks. I was titrating up for five of them. It is possible that I've been tapering down for four weeks and have lost track. I'm sorry for being careless with keeping track. I will obviously do better in the future. Depression is kicking my butt and clouding my mind but at this time I am not going to try any more medication until I get off of the Zoloft and possibly decrease the Seroquel. 

That's my story. Without so many details. This has been the most stressful year of my/our lives. I'm now stressing over getting off this Zoloft which isn't going to help anything. I find it frustrating that doctors and pharmacists can't be trusted to give safe taper schedules. But they can't. That's why I am here.

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

Oh no. I think I was taking about 17 mg of Zoloft for a week and today in a panic I took 25 mg. So I have screwed up further by updosing and I wasn't even having symptoms. I just got terrified of protracted withdrawal after reading another story on this forum. 

I'm a mess tonight. My anxiety has been better (not great but haven't felt any changed from Zoloft) but it is going through the roof now. I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I am trying to take care of my Mom and my husband who has vertigo and wasn't paying attention to my own medication. 

Should I stay at 25 mg of Zoloft now because I don't want to keep going up and down as it is only going to cause me trouble. I sound like such an air-head. I'm really not. We'll make a chart for the future. I guess my original question still stands. After only 7 weeks on this medication do I really need to reduce at 10% a month when I currently have no side effects in my taper. Would it be possible to make several reductions a month. Or am I playing with fire? 

I didn't know that you could get protracted withdrawal on antidepressants until late last night. These days I've been so consumed with the other medications that I need to taper off and how hard that is going to be that the only thing I'd been doing was searching for tapering situations that worked. Then I stumbled on a situation where someone had been taking the same dose as me for 5 weeks. They tapered for 4 and were sick for over two years. It freaked me out.

I am now worried that I've possibly set myself up for a problem with the taper I've been doing. And I thought I was doing it smart. I guess I better calm down. I hope for some input because all of you know much more than I do. 

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

• Moderator Emeritus

It's going to be okay Melody , take a deep breath. You haven't done any irreversible damage by

losing track and taking one dose of 25mg.

I agree that you should get off the zoloft first. I've asked the more experienced moderators to advise.

Petunia often says the taper ideally shouldn't take longer than the amount of time you were on the drug

(in situations like yours), and Alto has suggested fast-tapering in much the way you've done.

So please try and relax a tad.

How were you measuring 17mg?

You're going to need to keep a good record of your taper. It's alot more simple than trying to remember.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you for your patient reply. I just took a deep breath. 

I'm using a Gemini-20 scale to weigh the pills and dry cut. My husband helped with the math. I am not sure if I was taking 17 mg for a week or not. I think I was but I can't be sure.  I only had a small amount of pills left and I was trying to finish with them. I've gone ahead and refilled the script. From here on out, I'll be writing down every time I decrease the dose. Things have been a little crazy and I was experiencing migraines last week (unrelated to medication) so that didn't help. 

Should I take 25 mg today and start working my way down from there? My hope was to be off the drug in the amount of time I took it. That was 7 weeks total. I began it on Dec. 10th. As I already stated I titrated up from 12.5 a week at a time (didn't have a scale then so it was all guessing). I finally reached 100 mg around Jan. 14th. Stayed a week. It wasn't helping so I started down. 

I can't say for sure but I think that I started down about Jan. 21 or right around there. I have been reducing 25 mg. at a time. When I look at the calendar my tapering history doesn't add up so I think it is possible that I stayed at 75 mg for two weeks. I WILL keep notes from this point on. I've learned my lesson.

Thank you again for your help and calm reassurance. I haven't taken a dose today but have no problem taking 25 mg and going from there if that is what would be advised. 

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

• Administrator

Welcome, melody.

"Depression" is a well-known adverse effect from chronic benzo use. You are trying to fix an adverse drug reaction with other drugs.

If you have gotten down to 17mg Zoloft without any withdrawal symptoms so far, if I were you, I would hold at 17mg Zoloft for a month, let your nervous system accommodate before reducing further. Let us know how you're doing.

If SSRIs make you nervous, it could very well be Zoloft is the cause of your sleep problems. Please keep daily notes on paper about when you take your drugs, their dosage, and your symptom pattern, including your sleep.

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Please don't alternate dosages.  You have tapered too suddenly. Don't make it worse . Take your time.  Taper slowly.  

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I will not alternate doses. I am going to hold at 25 mg because I took that again today. I just wasn't sure enough of the 17 mg to chance making another drop. I'll be keeping track now. 

As far as the depression goes, I do wonder quite strongly if it is coming from the increased dose of Klonopin. I did not have it prior to that although I did have an upswing of anxiety. It's a long sorted tale as most are. My body freaked out after a series of very stressful things including 8 deaths and several medical emergencies. In hindsight, I should have just walked through the anxiety but instead I panicked and now here I am. When the increased Klonopin didn't calm my anxiety I begged to stop but my pdoc felt I was fearing it only because it was one of the meds my sister overdosed on. 

It is hard in the middle of grief and stress to think straight. I guess I have to give grace to myself and believe that God has a plan in all of this and work on getting off the Zoloft, Seroquel, and Klonopin. Going to be years of tapering. 

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

In addition to what is listed in my signature I take: 

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

I only use Imitrex in an emergency right now due to Serotonin Syndrome warnings. My pdoc says not to worry but I do. It is one of the reasons I really need to get off the Zoloft. I have monthly migraines that have not responded to anything but Imitrex. I've been hospitalized too many times for them. 

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

I noticed Fresh said that you, Alto, might be on board to continue this faster taper. Did I misunderstand something? I was only on the drug for seven weeks total including titrating up. Just one week at 100 mg. Perhaps I'm just impatient. Forgive me if I am. I realize that I came here for advice. Will I be able to maybe cut 10 % every few weeks if I continue to feel fine on this dose? 

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

I'm trying to be cautious. I had no idea I was coming down too fast. I've suffered so many migraines since starting on these drugs. I fear I'll end up hospitalized and if I do it'll be a mess. More medications that interact with each other and they'll pull the Zoloft because of the serotonin syndrome risk. 

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

• Administrator

melody, anyone who has taken the drug for more than a month is at risk for withdrawal syndrome.

You've gone from 100mg to 17mg in 3 weeks, good to hear it hasn't caused you any problems so far. How about holding at least a couple of weeks and see how you feel?

If all goes well, I'd reduce by 25% every week or 10 days based on the last dosage. For example, reducing 25% from 17mg would be 13mg, reducing 25% from 13mg would be 11mg, etc. This gives you a smoother ramp off.

Your Interactions list is blank.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Actually, I'm back at 25 mg due to my negligence. I decided not to risk it since I wasn't sure if I'd been taking 17 mg or not this week. It didn't seem worth the risk. So, I will hold at 25 mg for several weeks and see how I feel. If things are still well, that sounds like a reasonable plan. I've done some reading here since posting. It's painful and adds to my own grief regarding doctors. 

I'm thinking you mean my interactions list is blank on my drug list? I'll go correct that. I did not include two PRN pain medications because I only take them about once a year and right now I can't take them at all with these medications. I do take an Imitrex shot, with my pdoc's blessing, when my migraines are to severe to sleep. But, mostly I just suffer with them lately. It has to be really bad because even though he swears it would never happen I'm not willing to risk serotonin syndrome. 

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

Hopefully this is complete and working: 

Thank you all so much for the help. For those who are the praying sort, my prayers are for you/us. For those who prefer warm thoughts you have them. 

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Melody,

I've checked your drug interaction link and it is showing these: Imitrex (sumatriptan) Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan)

There is no mention of them in your drug history or posting.  You did state that you are taking 3 drugs so maybe you clicked on them without realising.    If you are taking Imitrex could you please include it in your signature (including dose/s and date/s).

It is best to copy and paste your drug interaction in full here.  You need to select it with a left click of your mouse (I find it works better starting from the bottom of the text and working upwards) and then Right Click Copy.  Then Left Click in the Reply to this topic box Right Click, Paste.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I hope I correctly did what you were asking for ChessieCat. I have many drug allergies and react paradoxically more often than not. That goes for every medication not just psych drugs.

I checked my medications and know there is a "major" reaction between Imitrex and Zoloft. I've spoken with my pdoc about it and he told me not to worry. But, I still do. As such, I've only used two doses since December. It was that or go to the ER which would have possibly been more dangerous than helpful right now.

Imitrex is the only medication that has worked for me. I've tried all the preventatives to no avail. In past years I've had migraines so severe that I've been hospitalized for weeks. No fun. I also have two pain medications that I did not list at all because I do not take them and WILL NOT take them as long as an SSRI is present in my body. I don't think I can take them with Seroquel either. I hate medications--period. I was diagnosed with MS about 12 years ago. It can be a challenge at times but so far I don't take medication unless I end up in the hospital. 

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

Zoloft (sertraline) 25 mg (currently holding) 

Seroquel 150 mg 

Klonopin 3. 25 mg .75 mg a.m. .50 late afternoon 2 mg p.m. 

Imitrex Stat Dose (injections) PRN for migraines

Imitrex pills 100 mg (not currently taking might after I taper off Zoloft although I have concerns about Seroquel interactions too)

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Melody,

Thanks for the clarification.  I can understand your reluctance to take it.  The mods here do need to know all the drugs people are taking to enable them to offer the best suggestions.  It would be a good idea to include in your sig because every time you post people can see it at a glance without having to go through your posts.

I've pasted your Drugs Interaction here just in case it disappears into the ether, which the web has a habit of doing.

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major sertraline sumatriptan

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan), Imitrex (sumatriptan)

Using sertraline together with SUMAtriptan can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate clonazepam sertraline

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), Zoloft (sertraline)

Using clonazePAM together with sertraline may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate clonazepam quetiapine

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using clonazePAM together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate sertraline quetiapine

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using QUEtiapine together with sertraline can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

All the best - CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Please consider that side effects from these drugs can mimic MS, and be misdiagnosed.

I even remember reading a case of MS where the person was drinking nutra-sweet beverages, and the symptoms cleared when the nutra-sweet went away.

Did your migraines pre-date your use of Klonopin?

You may find, that as your drug load decreases, that symptoms like insomnia, headaches, and even your MS - improve greatly.  

There is much to hope for.  The slower methods are the least risky, but if you find that you are going smoothly, a little faster is fine.  Listen to your body.  As our Rhi says, Rhis's Start Small Listen to Body Taper Plan

Welcome to SA!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thank you for the welcome, JanCarol.

I can't recall when my migraines began but I think it was after starting Klonopin. I'm not certain that the two are related since two of my family members also suffer from them. But I do know that since I have gone on Seroquel and Zoloft I have had more of them. In fact I have one again today.

Up until now they had a pattern and seemed hormonally related. Fun times as I'm in the middle of "the change" which my doctors both said could be contributing to all of my symptoms. My primary doctor did bloodwork when my anxiety spiked and although I didn't see the results his nurse said my hormones were "fine." My body says otherwise and I realize hormones are hard to measure. I don't jump on the HRT bandwagon because I had a DVT in my 30s and also my Mom had a major stroke in 1999. So I am trying to just tough it out. I would love it if my anxiety and depession would lift because I don't find these medications to be helpful and I am tired. I don't want to try any more right now. I just want to get off these that don't work. 

It was suspected that I had MS for 11 years before the diagnosis. My MRI showed diffused lesions throughout my spine, some on the brain, and optical nerve. I've had IV steroid treatment on several occasions but thankfully have avoided it for about 9 years. I have a pretty extensive medical history. Most of it is a nightmare and not something I care to burden people with. Doctors are not my friends although I know they are necessary. The neurologist who diagnosed me is a smart man but he stopped taking insurance and I have felt unready to pursue further treatment. 

I'm really worried about Seroquel. I had difficulty swallowing when I took the first pill and so wish I had stopped there. Normally I would have but I was trying to be a "good patient." Now I'm on 150 mg and aside from maybe a couple extra hours of sleep (not even sure because I have yet to sleep through the night since Sept. in part because our elderly dog has dementia) it does nothing at all for me. In fact, I think it just makes me more tired. Not sleepy but tired. And I think it is increasing my migraines. 

Has anyone ever tapered off two drugs at the same time? I'm wondering if I could taper off Zoloft and Seroquel both. I"m so terrified of getting permanent damage from these drugs. Especially the Seroquel. It didn't help with my anxiety or my depression. I feel very foolish for even agreeing to try that drug. I didn't ask enough questions. Again, this is what happens when you are in deep grief and overly stressed. You stop thinking straight. 

If in the end I must go on an antidepressant I guess I'll have to reconsider it. I have no idea what I would try since I have not had good fortune with any of the ones that I've tried. They are all activating to my system and I just want to get off these drugs and see where I am at that point. I have read over and over again that clinical depression MUST be treated with drugs. But right now, I'm doing on online course from the UK for depression. I'm learning a lot. I hope to learn new techniques and heal. They don't believe that depression is permanent or even caused by an imbalance. My pdoc would scream if he knew I was taking this course but OH WELL! 

I'd already been doing meditation, mindfulness, prayer, etc. But I guess my nervous system just went bonkers. I have read Claire Weekes' book and only wish I'd gotten my hands on it before I started taking the additional Klonopin and other drugs and even more so before I ever went on K to begin with. 

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

We're having some early spring and my allergies are going wild. Is it going to be dangerous to add Zyrtec to my medicines. I was taking it before but stopped during the winter. Looks like there's a moderate interaction mostly related to dizziness or drowsiness. I'm not currently driving but want to make sure it is okay.

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week) 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Melody - I'm so sorry it has taken this long to get back to you.  I hope this finds you thriving after your last drop in January.

You wrote:

Has anyone ever tapered off two drugs at the same time? I'm wondering if I could taper off Zoloft and Seroquel both. I"m so terrified of getting permanent damage from these drugs. Especially the Seroquel. It didn't help with my anxiety or my depression. I feel very foolish for even agreeing to try that drug. I didn't ask enough questions. Again, this is what happens when you are in deep grief and overly stressed. You stop thinking straight. 

Many of us have had multiple drugs to taper from.

It is not wise to do 2 at once, for a number of reasons.  1.  You don't know what the symptoms are coming from, so you cannot make the right adjustments.  Was it the Zoloft?  Or the Seroquel?  It's not always easy to feel the difference and know which one to adjust.  2.  Double whammy - a double taper hits you twice as hard, and 3.  Sometimes one (like the Seroquel) will cushion you from the worst of the withdrawal of the other (like the Zoloft).  

BUT - that said - you've been holding at 25 mg of Zoloft for awhile now.  That is a greatly reduced dose from where you were.  How is that going?  Are you adjusting to this dose?

If so - it would be fine and easy to alternate tapers.  When you get one dose down to a convenient size (like a tablet or half tablet) then  you can work on the other one.  Also - because Seroquel is a brake, and Zoloft is an accelerator (though some people feel sedated on it) - you may be finding that you are sluggish and drowsy.  That's a good indicator that reducing the Seroquel would be helpful.

Tips for Tapering off Seroquel - quetiapine

Please remember the 10% rule - so your first taper would be to 135 mg - but not until your symptoms have been settled, then wait a month for your Seroquel taper (and plan on holding the Zoloft for awhile).

You can do this!  

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 months later...

JanCarol: 

I haven't been on this site for awhile. Thank you for your advice. I was able to taper off Zoloft without any problems. I have also gone down to 100 mg of Seroquel and made several cuts of Klonopin. I'm down to 2.75 mg and hope to make another .25 drop in a few weeks. 

Unfortunately, I still have debilitating depression. I am in the middle of perimenopause and the other time that I suffered depression was post-partum. I didn't take anything during post-partum but it only lasted 8 months. I don't know how long these hormonal fluctuations are going to last. Of course the "treatment recommendation" is antidepressants. So far I haven't been able to tolerate any of them. 

I just take it one day at a time. It seems that no one I know had issues like this which does make me doubt my sanity. 

Congrats on being drug free. I pray things continue to go well for you. 

Melody

Zoloft 75 mg (2 weeks) 
Zoloft 50 mg (1 week)