Abbreviations and terminology, brand and generic drug names, brand names in different countries

ang

• Mentor

For brand and generic drug names see:

wiki

drugs.com

rxlist

https://pillintrip.com/   Find the name of your pills in any country

or use a search engine, eg google

==============================================

Abbreviations and terminology list in alphabetical order:

AAF Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  

A strategy for handling a myriad of psychological symptoms.  Acknowledge that the symptoms are real, Accept that they can't harm you and that there is nothing you can do about them, let them Float off as you go on about your business

AD antidepressant

ADD attention deficit disorder

ADHD attention deficit hyperactive disorder

ADR adverse drug reaction

AP antipsychotic

BC birth control

benzo is a contraction of benzodiazepine, the class of Valium-type sedative drugs.

CBT Cognitive Behavioral Therapy,

a strategy for changing the way you view your thoughts to help control anxiety and panic among other thing.

CFS chronic fatigue syndrome

CNS central nervous system

CT Cold Turkey or the abrupt quitting of the drug in question.  

BP bipolar

DC decrease/d

DH Dear Husband

DP depersonalization

DR derealization

DW Dear Wife (not dish washer)

Dx diagnosis

ECT electroconvulsive shock therapy (sometimes also called EST I think)

EPS extrapyramidal symptoms

FIL Father in Law

GAD generalized anxiety disorder

GAPS diet stands for Gut and Psychology Syndrome

HI homicidal ideation

ID WD interdose withdrawal

MAOI monoamine oxidase inhibitor (older class of antidepressants)

MDD major depressive disorder

mgai milligrams of active ingredient (acronym used in weighing doses with a digital scale)

mgpw milligrams pill weight (acronym used in weighing doses with a digital scale)

MIL Mother in Law

OP other person

OTC over the counter

PGAD persistent genital arousal disorder

PRN latin "pro re nata" = as required

PSSD post-SSRI sexual dysfunction

PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

RI reinstatement

RLS Restless Leg Syndrome

Rx prescription

SI suicidal ideation

SNRI serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (certain antidepressants, such as Effexor)

SO Significant Other

SRI serotonin reuptake inhibitor

SSRI selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (antidepressants like Prozac for example)

SS serotonin syndrome

ST serotonin toxicity (same as SS, more appropriate name for such)

Sx symptom

TCA tricyclic antidepressants

TD tardive dyskinesia (involuntary movement, movement disorder, often involving the tongue or lips )

Tx treatment

WD is a contraction for Withdrawal

and is referring to the various symptoms that are associated with tapering off of one of these drugs. There is a big controversy over the use of the term "withdrawal" because the medical community has a very specific definition for the word which they think doesn't fit what we are experiencing.  To counter this they came up with the phrase "Discontinuation Syndrome".

WDnormal is withdrawal normal

short hand for "all the symptoms I have been feeling lately but am to lazy to list them over and over again".  It is a variable term that changes with the set of symptoms a person is feeling.

YMMV is your mileage may vary

============================================

I just wanted to start a new topi, as I am feeling poorly.

Anyhow, so many acronyms on this site, what do they all mean?

WD is Withdrawal syndrome

CT  is that convulsive therapy?  

Sorry  I think we need a list somewhere, what all these mean.

Sorry a newbie, the site is fantastic.

I no longer feel all alone in this world.

Edited by ChessieCat
Updated

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Hi ang,

I think CT refers to cold turkey.

I feel your frustration with acronyms.   There are posters on sleep apnea board I hang out at who do this constantly.  I always have to do a google search for the translation:)

Glad you don't feel alone and hope you feel better.

CS

Edited by ChessieCat

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 3 years later...

Interesting, guys! Hang on with your research.

Valium 30, 40 to 50 mg from 1970 to 2014. Decreasing valium and mirtaz 25 in 2014 to 2015 March. Shifted to etizolam 1 mg and 2 other tranquilizers (names out of memory) in April 2015. Following change of place and psychiatrist, shifted to etizolam 2 mg. Tapering began Sept 2018. Light depression and acute insomnia continue.

• Altostrata changed the title to Ask about abbreviations and terminology
  • Administrator
20 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I'd also like to suggest that the full list of acronyms be added to the very first post of this topic.

Good idea. This will take some editing and updating, do you want to take it on?

The drug name topic hadn't been updated for years, so I combined it with this one. We cannot hope to keep up with them. Dr. Google is the best source for drug names and alternatives.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Abbreviations and terminology, brand and generic drug names
  • Moderator Emeritus

Okay.  What I've done.

I've added all the abbreviations to the first post

I've retitled the topic to include drug names

I've hidden all the unnecessary posts (for later deletion?)

Added this to the top of the first post:

wiki

drugs.com

rxlist

Are there any other links which might be helpful?  For example drug interaction checker links?  medscape and drugs.com

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
On 1/27/2019 at 1:52 PM, ChessieCat said:

For example drug interaction checker links?  medscape and drugs.com

Drugs.com Interactions Checker  https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

Medscape requires a free registration.

Pubmed -- US government's international database of medical journal articles https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 1/27/2019 at 4:52 PM, ChessieCat said:

Are there any other links which might be helpful?  For example drug interaction checker links?  medscape and drugs.com

I recently came across an easy way to calculate the half life - Drug Half-Life Calculator 

• 5 months later...

I thought that (from Baylissa's website) that "protracted withdrawal" meant beyond 18 months, but I feel like I've seen people identify themselves as such only 4 months in.

What would be the definition of PW? I also thought acute withdrawal meant the first 3 months of withdrawal. Is it more a descriptor of the symptoms rather than the timeframe?

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/14/2019 at 4:55 PM, Armorall said:

I thought that (from Baylissa's website) that "protracted withdrawal" meant beyond 18 months, but I feel like I've seen people identify themselves as such only 4 months in.

The concept of PAWS originated from the research of long-term damage from addictive substances, such as alcohol and methamphetamines. Keep in mind Dr. Ashton, who first pioneered a slow withdrawal protocol from benzos, originally worked with opioid addiction, so she came from that perspective and background. I'm not exactly sure where the 18-month criteria originally came from, but it's been floating around the benzo forums for years (Baylissa is a benzo survivor who may have gotten it from the benzo forums). The Protracted Section of Benzo Buddies is open only to those who've been off benzos for at least 18 months (at least it was when I was active there a few years ago). A large part of the reason for this is because the posts in that section scare new members who are just starting their taper. So using the 18-month time frame is more of a way of separating the battle weary survivors who still haven't healed from the impressionable newbies. 

The benzo forums focus solely on benzos. However, the majority of people coming into SA are dealing with polypharmacy issues, so it's much harder to pin a timeframe on any of this. You may want to check out the discussion on what PAWS means here: 

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS (post-acute withdrawal syndrome) how long does it last?

And a discussion of the time frame for withdrawal is here: 

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

Wow, that was not a thread I should have read. But, I asked for it. 

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

• 5 months later...

What does HA stand for?  I've seen people ask "how's your HA?"  Or one person said she got wd symptoms but attributed it to her HA.

(my daughter: 23yrs old)  

1.  Sertraline: 2010 - 2019: varying doses from 50-150mg.  2019: July 1 - Aug 10 6-week taper from 50 to 0mg, Nov 6: begin severe PAWS, Nov 10: Reinstate 1mg. Held for 1.5 yrs.  2021: Mar 5 Began slow taper 1% per month. 3/31/24: .664mg

2.  Baclofen 20mg: Begin May 2017

3. Amitriptyline 25mg: Begin May 2017

2020: Apr 20: started 2%/month taper. 4/30/23: 10mg. Will hold at 10mg until complete other tapers.

4.  Noscapine 200mg: Begin Oct 2018   2020 Apr 20: reduce to 150mg, had withdrawal symptoms. Aug 2 began 3.5%/month taper. 3/31/24: 20mg

• Administrator

I have not seen HA before. Could it refer to health anxiety?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I've seen health anxiety abbreviated as HA by folks who are experiencing this withdrawal symptom. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Abbreviations and terminology, brand and generic drug names, names in different countries
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Abbreviations and terminology, brand and generic drug names, brand names in different countries
  • 1 year later...
On 12/20/2014 at 1:42 PM, ang said:

wiki

drugs.com

rxlist

https://pillintrip.com/   Find the name of your pills in any country

or use a search engine, eg google

==============================================

Abbreviations and terminology list in alphabetical order:

AAF Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  

A strategy for handling a myriad of psychological symptoms.  Acknowledge that the symptoms are real, Accept that they can't harm you and that there is nothing you can do about them, let them Float off as you go on about your business

AD antidepressant

ADD attention deficit disorder

ADHD attention deficit hyperactive disorder

ADR adverse drug reaction

AP antipsychotic

BC birth control

benzo is a contraction of benzodiazepine, the class of Valium-type sedative drugs.

CBT Cognitive Behavioral Therapy,

a strategy for changing the way you view your thoughts to help control anxiety and panic among other thing.

CFS chronic fatigue syndrome

CNS central nervous system

CT Cold Turkey or the abrupt quitting of the drug in question.  

BP bipolar

DC decrease/d

DH Dear Husband

DP depersonalization

DR derealization

DW Dear Wife (not dish washer)

Dx diagnosis

ECT electroconvulsive shock therapy (sometimes also called EST I think)

EPS extrapyramidal symptoms

FIL Father in Law

GAD generalized anxiety disorder

GAPS diet stands for Gut and Psychology Syndrome

HI homicidal ideation

ID WD interdose withdrawal

MAOI monoamine oxidase inhibitor (older class of antidepressants)

MDD major depressive disorder

mgai milligrams of active ingredient (acronym used in weighing doses with a digital scale)

mgpw milligrams pill weight (acronym used in weighing doses with a digital scale)

MIL Mother in Law

OP other person

OTC over the counter

PGAD persistent genital arousal disorder

PRN latin "pro re nata" = as required

PSSD post-SSRI sexual dysfunction

PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

RI reinstatement

RLS Restless Leg Syndrome

Rx prescription

SI suicidal ideation

SNRI serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (certain antidepressants, such as Effexor)

SO Significant Other

SRI serotonin reuptake inhibitor

SSRI selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (antidepressants like Prozac for example)

SS serotonin syndrome

ST serotonin toxicity (same as SS, more appropriate name for such)

Sx symptom

TCA tricyclic antidepressants

TD tardive dyskinesia (involuntary movement, movement disorder, often involving the tongue or lips )

Tx treatment

WD is a contraction for Withdrawal

and is referring to the various symptoms that are associated with tapering off of one of these drugs. There is a big controversy over the use of the term "withdrawal" because the medical community has a very specific definition for the word which they think doesn't fit what we are experiencing.  To counter this they came up with the phrase "Discontinuation Syndrome".

WDnormal is withdrawal normal

short hand for "all the symptoms I have been feeling lately but am to lazy to list them over and over again".  It is a variable term that changes with the set of symptoms a person is feeling.

YMMV is your mileage may vary

============================================

I just wanted to start a new topi, as I am feeling poorly.

Anyhow, so many acronyms on this site, what do they all mean?

WD is Withdrawal syndrome

CT  is that convulsive therapy?  

Sorry  I think we need a list somewhere, what all these mean.

Sorry a newbie, the site is fantastic.

I no longer feel all alone in this world.

Additional Terms:

ADS
- Antidepressant Discontinuation Syndrome

AWS - Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome

It says "something" that WD has not been given a standard name since the 1950s (Related link) / 1960s (Related link), when it was already a known "thing".

When I Googled in 2023 most of the results mentioned WD as "AWS". Now, in 2024, most results are "ADS".

(Signature last updated 20 Feb 2024.)

1996–2016 “Everything else”, including Fluoxetine, Enalapril 10mg.
2009 Paused meds for 2 months.
2016 Venlafaxine 150mg, Lithium 400mg, Bupropion (?mg), Olanzapine 5mg, Enalapril 10mg.
2019 Venlafaxine 150mg, Lithium 1,000mg, Bupropion (?mg), Olanzapine 5mg, Enalapril 10mg. Quetiapine 200mg (sporadic).
2023 Venlafaxine 6 week taper at 75mg from Jun 1. Untapered: Bupropion (?mg), Olanzapine 5mg, Enalapril 10mg. Quetiapine 200mg (sporadic).
2023 Enalapril 10mg from Jul 13. Quetiapine 200mg (sporadic).
2023 Benzodiazepine 30mg from Nov 20 to Dec 31 (5 sporadic doses). Enalapril 10mg. Quetiapine 200mg (sporadic).
2024 Benzodiazepine 30mg from Jan 1 to Feb 9 (5 sporadic doses). Enalapril 10mg. Quetiapine 200mg (sporadic).
2024 0.00mg AD. (9 Feb 2024)
Non-AD Meds: Enalapril 10mg (Ongoing, for blood pressure), Quetiapine 200mg (Stopped Feb 10).

Supplements detailed snapshot can be found here (as at 14 Feb 2024)