Wowzers: Tics tics and more tics

Wowzers

Twenty five days,cold turkey off of topirimax and latuda and facial tics are unbearable. I've heard agaricus 30c may treat. Does anyone have a remedy?

Depakote on and off 2012-2014

Topirimax 2015-2016 Quit cold turkey in the middle of Febuary 2016

Tramadol for three months due to stomach ailments which have now healed Jan 2015-March 2015

Latuda December 2015 Quit cold turkey in the middle of Febuary 2016

"Diagnosis" Bipolar 2....................Since 2004

Takes a long time to get responses (if any), huh, Wowzers?!?!?

Cold turkey is rough, especially with an anti-psychotic and anti-convulsant.

Did you have tics before these meds? If not, they could arise from abrupt cessation.

As for agaricus: homeopathic remedies aren't always safer and can carry the same risks as prescription medications.

First, you need to talk with your health care provider and let them know you stopped cold turkey; he or she may have you reinstate and slowly taper off.

Vaulted on to 20mg Lexapro in 2004.

Consistently on until 2009, roughly.

Stopped, cold turkey. <----naïve, didn't know any better. :(

Experienced irritability, dysphoria, and - you guessed it - depression.

Went off and on, on and off for a while.

Experimented with Wellbutrin and Zoloft.

On 10mg fluoxetine hcl for the last 2 years.

I believe my erratic medication behavior has compounded my

depression 10 fold, and has made it very hard to live without

AD's. Have gone 2 years without them before, and had to

return. It's that bad.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Wowzers,

I've moved your post here where more people will see it, and give their ideas.  Would you like to add a signature – drugs/dates/dosages etc - so we can see your situation easily whenever you post, and help you more accurately?  Thanks.

Many people find Fish oil and Magnesium useful during withdrawal.  You could start these and see if it helps any. 

Stopping so suddenly has probably brought on the symptoms you are having.  We recommend a gentle taper, reducing by no more than 10% of your current dose each month.  This allows your brain time to adjust as you go, and lessens any withdrawal.  Was there a reason for choosing to cold-turkey?  It may be best to reinstate and then taper in a gentler way.

Tips for Tapering Latuda

Have a read of those and then you can come back to this thread if you have more questions.  This can be your journal to record your progress.

Best wishes,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel a little isolated. It's been a little over a month since i quit cold turkey. Had i had known any better i would've tapered. Looking for a little relation and glimmer of hope. The doctor put me on this s### for weight lose over a year ago. He's dead now so it's impossible to relay my anger and dispair.

Tramadol for three months due to stomach ailments which have now healed Jan 2015-March 2015

Holy crap I avoided this drug aswell. I really hope it clears up soon for you!

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Thanks. Seems to be getting better.

Glad to hear. I think all these meds have WD.Once you get started they have you hooked

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Pretty much.......

I am sure people have quit cold turkey either out of ignorance possibly not knowing the ramifications of doing such a thing, but i must keep going. Encouragement please or sheer honesty. Either or..............

It wasn't easy but i did the master cleanser for 14 days. Thought i was going to die at first but i have done this type of fast before in my youth. I wouldn't recommend doing this type of fast during withdrawal but it did curtail some issues i was having. Had i had to do it all over again i may have done the Daniel fast. My mission was for spiritual reason's as well as health..............

Lots of CT success stores and people who have been on the meds for 15 yrs or more and sometimes multiple meds.  Weaning off slow gives you a much better chance to reduce symptoms . but by no means does it guarantee you a smooth taper . Some people suffer just as much or more with a  slow taper . this stuff has never been studied properly.  

Lots of CT success stores and people who have been on the meds for 15 yrs or more and sometimes multiple meds.  Weaning off slow gives you a much better chance to reduce symptoms . but by no means does it guarantee you a smooth taper . Some people suffer just as much or more with a  slow taper . this stuff has never been studied properly.  

Okay thanks for the insight. More optimistic and less worried right now.

no problem. It gets way better the only problem is it can take such a long time. Thats what I struggle with, is the patience it takes to get to "good days" .

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wowser, welcome to SA.  I developed facial tics when I quit effexor after tapering too fast. I reinstated a very tiny dose and then tapered off over a 2 year period. 

Unfortunately fasting when withdrawing doesn't help the process like it does for other types of drug. The psychiatric drugs make changes in the way  brain and nervous system work. Take away the drugs and it struggles to find the right balance, everything is out of sync and for some  it can take years to level out again. Others can be over it in a few weeks or months, but the more drugs that have been taken, the harder it is for the brain to adapt again.  The only way to stop the withdrawal is reinstating the drug and tapering slowly to give your brain a chance to catch up and adjust to the drops.   People do recover from c/t, but everyone is different so there is no way of knowing how long it will take. You can lessen the symptoms by taking good care of yourself, eating well, avoid alcohol and caffeine and gentle exercise. Some rush out and go for long work outs or running, and crash after it, so it's best to go easy at first and build to a level that isn't stressing the nervous system too much. 

Karen has given you some links to read, I hope you manage to read them as they are really informative. Knowing what is happening makes a big difference. Whatever you do this will pass and you will get better and have your life back. :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Wowser, welcome to SA.  I developed facial tics when I quit effexor after tapering too fast. I reinstated a very tiny dose and then tapered off over a 2 year period. 

Unfortunately fasting when withdrawing doesn't help the process like it does for other types of drug. The psychiatric drugs make changes in the way  brain and nervous system work. Take away the drugs and it struggles to find the right balance, everything is out of sync and for some  it can take years to level out again. Others can be over it in a few weeks or months, but the more drugs that have been taken, the harder it is for the brain to adapt again.  The only way to stop the withdrawal is reinstating the drug and tapering slowly to give your brain a chance to catch up and adjust to the drops.   People do recover from c/t, but everyone is different so there is no way of knowing how long it will take. You can lessen the symptoms by taking good care of yourself, eating well, avoid alcohol and caffeine and gentle exercise. Some rush out and go for long work outs or running, and crash after it, so it's best to go easy at first and build to a level that isn't stressing the nervous system too much. 

Karen has given you some links to read, I hope you manage to read them as they are really informative. Knowing what is happening makes a big difference. Whatever you do this will pass and you will get better and have your life back. :)

Very detailed and informative. Thanks alot..............

Yeah, i have heard this before. Wasn't sure how accurate but skimming through some of the stories i am finding that your statement rings true. Thanks for the enlightenment.

The Doctor attempted to reinstate me at one point and time and when i attempted to do so i had a bad reaction. I mean really bad so that's off of the table for me lol!!!!!!!

Has anyone had this experience? I hope i am posting in the right forum.

Hi Wowzers--  Actually questions like this should be posted in your introduction thread, you'll get a lot more traffic there.

The muscles in your temples are directly connected to the ones in your jaw along with a lot of nerves, so a lot of things that happen in your mouth can have a direct effect on your temples.  Mine get all sorts of strange sensations that way.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Wowzers--  Actually questions like this should be posted in your introduction thread, you'll get a lot more traffic there.

The muscles in your temples are directly connected to the ones in your jaw along with a lot of nerves, so a lot of things that happen in your mouth can have a direct effect on your temples.  Mine get all sorts of strange sensations that way.

Okay thanks for the heads up as well as for your personal experience.

How can i find the introduction thread as well?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Wowsers. I'm an antipsychotic surviver after many decades of use, both high dosage and low dosage. And I started on all of these drugs young, and I'm healing. The insomnia and dp/dr are the worst symptoms for me.

What brassmonkey said here is spot on, and a lot of us have a ton of jaw issues during and after coming off psychiatric drugs.

Are you grinding your teeth at night? I wear a nightguard because it helps with a lot of face, dental, and jaw issues. 

Also, the fact that you were fasting may be problematic. I found there are a lot of connections because nutrition and antipsychotic withdrawal symptoms. 

You write very well, so you don't have a lot of the cognitive decline problems that some antipsychotic survivors have, and since you're only a few weeks off your medication, I'm sure you're going to be fine once your mind / body has time to recover. 

Hi, Wowsers. I'm an antipsychotic surviver after many decades of use, both high dosage and low dosage. And I started on all of these drugs young, and I'm healing. The insomnia and dp/dr are the worst symptoms for me.

What brassmonkey said here is spot on, and a lot of us have a ton of jaw issues during and after coming off psychiatric drugs.

Are you grinding your teeth at night? I wear a nightguard because it helps with a lot of face, dental, and jaw issues. 

Also, the fact that you were fasting may be problematic. I found there are a lot of connections because nutrition and antipsychotic withdrawal symptoms. 

You write very well, so you don't have a lot of the cognitive decline problems that some antipsychotic survivors have, and since you're only a few weeks off your medication, I'm sure you're going to be fine once your mind / body has time to recover. 

Wow thanks for support and congrats on your journey to recovery as well......................

If i am grinding my teeth I'm not really conscious of doing it. I'll probably be paying attention to that.