Managing anger

alexjuice

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Luna,

I don't think I've heard of any supplements that sedate rage, some people find magnesium to be calming see:

Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker

Please would you start a topic for yourself in our  Introductions and updates   section so we can get to know you and your individual situation, then we may be able to offer better advice.

edit:  here is another thread which might be helpful

What tips have helped others with agitation and anger

Edited by Petunia
added another link

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

hi luna, ive experienced the rage and so far I think id recommend b vitamins and magnesium which has helped me immensely. as for a vitamin regimen, a naturopath had me on the b. and the mag. as well as d vitamins and fish oil. I am better able to deal with the rage now as a natural experience that is understandable by being traumatized by ill health. what also helps me is discussing it with my family. also It doesn't hurt to have a physical outlet (most likely one with not too intense exercise which can sometimes make things worse). I go ice skating fairly often which helps get aggression out. awhile back I would journal and sometimes throw my throwing knives at a tree, or punching a pillow :P also angry music can help get it out. I know its really hard to handle sometimes but it will get better. peace love and healing

When it happens, maybe try looking back carefully at what just proceeded it? Are there situations that are too much for you to be in right now? Sensations that trigger? For example, I have problems with sound sensitivity that wax and wane depending on what and when I last made a cut. When I get "zinged" by a noise (my family is SO noisy), it sort of disinhibits my emotional control. But with awareness, and especially by telling myself that this is a healing opportunity moment to retrain my brain, I can sometimes get through it without anyone even knowing I am struggling, Or not....

Somewhere GiaK wrote a great post about how we can't always change our response patterns/actions by just wanting to and trying hard, but the first step is awareness, realizing that it's happening, and we can build from there. Another book, actually on parenting, talked of reducing the fight or flight response/anxiety as soon as you feel it happening. He suggested slipping into the garage (or any place alone) and running in place till that energy is released.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

My most likely rage trigger is telephone customer service. During the bad years I was a madwoman, screaming at Bank of America about my loan mod application several times a month.

I know better than to call customer service about anything when I am "in a state."

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Thank you everyone for your responses! I am taking all those supplements and it is something I experience no matter how small the decrease and no matter what drug. I just wanted to see if there was anything I hadn't heard of.

MeiMei I am chisling away at the lithium... Each time there is 7 days where I am a wild card with intense anger. I get so sick though exercise is not always an option.

I found ACT mindfulness helps with SSri withdrawal generated anger.

(I just read a book I didn't go the classes)

Wiki has this on it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceptance_and_commitment_therapy

It doesn't get rid of the anger but it does make you less likely to act on it.

As an example when anger start talking over in you mind you say to yourself:

'I can see myself angry, I'm looking down on myself being angry.

I'm now looking down I myself reflecting that I am angry'.

It has a way of distancing yourself from the anger.

The other thing I found was if you are in an angry phase (I haven't been in one for a while fortunately) you need to constantly accept that you are not rational about your anger. Otherwise it damages those around you.

It also helps to think that the anger will pass.

Cheers

Damien

Off all SSRIs as at November 2016.

Been on SSRIs (mainly Lexapro) for around 15 years.

failed attempts to go cold turkey before I got proper info on it.

Over last 2 years I've slowly gone from 20 mg Lexapro to 2.5 mg Lexapro.

on 25th Jan 2015 I've now moved to home made liquid Lexapro.

Plan is to drop roughly 0.2 mg per month over the next 1-2 years.  

25th Jan 2015 2.5 mg Lexapro liquid.

24th Mar 2016 1.0 mg lexapro (crushed tablet mixed and refilled into capsules)

Planned to be at 0.0 mg lexapro by about October 2016. 

I also take 50-100 mg modafinil per day, no short term plans of stopping/tapering modafinil but will re-evaluate after I'm off lexapro. 

Thank you everyone for your responses! I am taking all those supplements and it is something I experience no matter how small the decrease and no matter what drug. I just wanted to see if there was anything I hadn't heard of.

MeiMei I am chisling away at the lithium... Each time there is 7 days where I am a wild card with intense anger. I get so sick though exercise is not always an option.

Ha, enough said. I am holding lithium right now. I dread going back to tapering it, I know exactly what you mean.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Molder, welcome in the club. How you feel, I feel already four months. I hope it will get better for you soon. I have still quite a long journey before me.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• 4 weeks later...

I cant even stand my dogs licking themselves, i want to shove them outside untied and pray they run away. I hate chewing sounds, people breathing, and clocks. I cant even be bothered to pick something up if it drops  because Im too mad at it. This aside from how annoying actual real things are!!!

Oh Aberdeen,

i laughed so hard that i had tears streaming down my face when I read this....as did my  16 year old daughter who has had to sit on the other side of the table at times so i can't hear her chew as much!! lol .Thank you for the laugh as I really needed it at the moment. i can totally relate to the anger you are feeling. hang in there, it does get easier.

have been on and off antidepressants for 16 years since becoming pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter.
Was put on effexor several years ago and experienced horrible side effects(shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills) about a week into commencing them.
Stopped effexor cold turkey and commenced on cipramil which I stayed on a low dose for many years until I weaned myself off.
A few years ago I was advised to go back on antidepressants and put on Pristiq. Started on 50 mg but experienced insomnia and irritability so halved the dose to 25mg which I tolerated well but didn't do a lot to help with the "depression" so eventually increased dose to 50mg which I was on for about 3 years 
I felt I was ready  to come off the antidepressants so began to wean off them.The method I have used was to cut the tablets up.

At first I took a half in the morning then a quarter late in the afternoon. I would often end up with a big half and a little half when cutting the pills up so I would take the big halves for a about 2 months then swap to the little halves therefore giving me a smallish dose reduction. I held on each reduction for about 6 to eight weeks and sometimes longer depending on how I was feeling.
To try to simply summarise my dosing method……….
*Big half  in morning quarter in early evening (around 4pm) 
*Small half in morning and quarter in evening
*Small half in morning then 1/8 in evening
*big half in morning and evening dose dropped
*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*small quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning
* a nibble of the already tiny tablet :))
This method has proved to be successful for me thus far and as of June 2014 I am more than 2 months completely Pristiq free

How long does the anger tend to last for? It's been six months since I reduced from 2.4 mg to 2.2 mg of paroxetine. I've been suffering from really bad anger most of this time and it's showing no sign of going away.

Had been on paroxetine for 10 years when I started to experience 'poop out' in 2008. Began a slow taper in early 2009.

Got down to 3.2 mg in Jan 2012 and held for 21 months.

Oct 2013 - reduced to 2.8 mg 

April 2014 - reduced to 2.4 mg

Oct 2014 - reduced to 2.2 mg

Yeah I felt like people were agaisnt me all during w/d because it killed my self-esteem. I picked fights with lots of people who thought they were "tough". I would even insult them to their face, sometimes strangers. I never picked fights with someone who was mellow but if someone made me feel defensive, I would rage.

I'm learning how unhealthy this behavior is. I'm moving on with my life and I have learned from my experiences even the bad ones. You'll learn from it. You can't go around acting out of control like because you will make a lot of enemies. You need to fight you feelings and emotions. Talk yourself down and tell yourself, you're being irrational.

I'm not saying w/d isn't effecting you because it is. W/D can cause weird symptoms even aggitation or rage like in my case. You should probably be in therapy because you need to talk about it and address the issue in case there are deeper reasons to your feelings of anger.

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

• Administrator

merged similar topics

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...

You also touch upon a rather sensitive issue we don't discuss much here:we tend to attribute almost if not all negative emotions and bad things happening to us to withdrawal. It's rather convenient:for one thing it will go away, and for the other the blame is on the meds. But I also very often see that a lot of my 'withdrawal symptoms' are things that led me start taking ADs ;( As for me, irritability and anger were so out of character with me. I used to be (too) meek person. So allowing myself to be angry was a big milestone in my growth. Learning how to channel this anger and use it in a constructive way in line with its purpose is an altogether different thing.

Bubble: Just found this post from a while back. It is SO helpful for me today. Am struggling with almost no good feelings and very intense bad ones: anger and irritability. Rage. Ugh. So hard, as I'm perimenopausal and don't know what part of what's happening is attributable to hormone shifts. Was also recently diagnosed with Complex Post Traumatic Stress disorder.

I have a fantastic, patient husband who ends up at other end of my moods, though I try mightily to control this. I also work part time in a place with children around a lot, and I feel so irritated by everything they say and do. I rant at other drivers on the road. I have nasty, mean thoughts about almost everyone. Is this really ME?

To me, this feels like all the anger I naturally had earlier in life is emerging after having been tamped down for so long. Coming from a troubled family, I learned almost no skills for self awareness and emotional self-soothing and management. So what you said above hits home for me: altogether different thing to learn to manage some of the feelings and conditions that prompted us toward the meds in first place.

Thank you SO much for the good insight and sharingg...I feel less alone today and more able to cope.

Current:

*Abt 1995, started fluoxetine 20 mg/day, later raised to 40 mg; *Abt 1997, started Klonopin ? mg/day

*Abt [??] started first, very slow Klon taper

*Sept 2016, Klon updosed; swapped fluox for duloxetine/lamotrigine/Seroquel (very small dose of last, for sleep) cocktail

*Early 2018, stopped Seroquel; *2020, started second Klon taper

*Abt July 2022, accidental 33% Klon cut, w/no updose; have been holding for 15 mos

*Mar 2023, abrupt lamotrigine cut from 75- to 50 mg/day; *May-June 2023, abrupt dulox cut from 90 mg- to 60 mg/day

*As of June 2023, taking lamotrigine 50 mg/day, duloxetine 60 mg/day, Klonopin .25 mg/day, metoprolol 50 mg/day, Eliquis 5 mg/day, levothyroxine 75 mcg/day

"Forget to remember; remember to forget."

• 3 months later...

Thank you all so much. I cannot tell you how much if a difference this site has made in just half an hour.

I was really beginning to feel like a monster and worrying that this is just what I am like as a person. The anger in particular has been hardest to deal with, I get angry over nothing and then want to hurt myself for feeling that way. Things that a few months ago would have made me mildly irritated now make me literally scream with rage. I keep feeling that everyone I know would be better off if I just left and became a hermit.

In so many ways I do feel better but this anger/desire to hurt myself are unbearable. I'm going to keep reading through the entries for advice but even just not feeling like I'm losing it has helped so much. I'm actually sobbing as I write because I feel so relieved!

BaronessG, 33 years old.

prozac 8yrs, 20mg up to 80mg then back to 20mg in 20mg reductions at two points.

Tapered off over two months - 2.5 months AD free (Oct 2015)

On another thread someone else suggested Byron Katie s 4 questions . I ve been using this when I feel really angry or everything H does "irritates" me. I m having some success with this. Its amazing how much nicer he s become in my eyes lol . Given how long my WD is turning out to be there's only so much people can be expected to put up with I guess. Its a bit like being possessed by a demon surely someone would have exorcised me a couple of centuries ago

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you all so much. I cannot tell you how much if a difference this site has made in just half an hour.

I was really beginning to feel like a monster and worrying that this is just what I am like as a person. The anger in particular has been hardest to deal with, I get angry over nothing and then want to hurt myself for feeling that way. Things that a few months ago would have made me mildly irritated now make me literally scream with rage. I keep feeling that everyone I know would be better off if I just left and became a hermit.

In so many ways I do feel better but this anger/desire to hurt myself are unbearable. I'm going to keep reading through the entries for advice but even just not feeling like I'm losing it has helped so much. I'm actually sobbing as I write because I feel so relieved!

Welcome BaronessG.

I'm so glad you have found some relief from knowing you are not alone. Are you tapering a medication? Are you in withdrawal? Please start a topic for yourself in our Introductions and updates  section so that we can get to know you and offer some support.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, I'm 10 months out from no karate.  I haven't actually exploded and damaged my relationships, but I am more volatile and irritable without this outlet in my life.  

I tried to go back in May, but found that it made my hand worse again.  Like withdrawal, I just have to wait until the hand is well enough to do something with it.

I've tried finding other, "softer" martial arts, but am daunted by the "starting over again" aspect of them.  Yoga, toning tables - these help - but - if I'm in a boiling rage - nothing makes it better like a good session of karate.  Two sessions a week is enough to keep me balanced, and I really, really, really miss it (and I'll bet hubby does, too!).

When I ask my husband for feedback, he says I'm a little louder and more excitable than usual, but that the tradeoff (in decreasing my psych drugs) is that I am more accessible.  I'm still completely clueless and unaware when I say something hurtful - I still need feedback to help me learn.  Because to me, my "tone of voice" may sound angry or frustrated, but I'm just trying to be heard by a man who is deaf and has attention issues (and I get so tired of repeating myself).  He's learning that my snippy clippy voice has crisp clear consonants so that he can hear me, and that the perceived emotional content is not directed at him (all the time, anyway!).  

When we first started together, it was before his stroke, and he took all of my impatiences (this was pre-lithium) as personal attacks on him.  He had lived alone most of his life, and wasn't used to having a loud, cranky-Yank in his house.  He has since learned to "let it go to the keeper" ("don't swing at every pitch" is the baseball term for this), but it is still something we work in.

In my case, this is about personality flaws, my unawareness of the effect I have on others, as much as it is about "cranky in withdrawal."  But managing mood is vitally important when going off the drugs - because remember - SOMETHING about you drove you to the drugs to begin with.  I recognize that my "cranky pants" irritability is a pre-drug state, and is likely to be a fairly strong (if more mature) post-drug condition, as well.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Well, I'm 10 months out from no karate. I haven't actually exploded and damaged my relationships, but I am more volatile and irritable without this outlet in my life.

I tried to go back in May, but found that it made my hand worse again. Like withdrawal, I just have to wait until the hand is well enough to do something with it.

I've tried finding other, "softer" martial arts, but am daunted by the "starting over again" aspect of them. Yoga, toning tables - these help - but - if I'm in a boiling rage - nothing makes it better like a good session of karate. Two sessions a week is enough to keep me balanced, and I really, really, really miss it (and I'll bet hubby does, too!).

When I ask my husband for feedback, he says I'm a little louder and more excitable than usual, but that the tradeoff (in decreasing my psych drugs) is that I am more accessible. I'm still completely clueless and unaware when I say something hurtful - I still need feedback to help me learn. Because to me, my "tone of voice" may sound angry or frustrated, but I'm just trying to be heard by a man who is deaf and has attention issues (and I get so tired of repeating myself). He's learning that my snippy clippy voice has crisp clear consonants so that he can hear me, and that the perceived emotional content is not directed at him (all the time, anyway!).

When we first started together, it was before his stroke, and he took all of my impatiences (this was pre-lithium) as personal attacks on him. He had lived alone most of his life, and wasn't used to having a loud, cranky-Yank in his house. He has since learned to "let it go to the keeper" ("don't swing at every pitch" is the baseball term for this), but it is still something we work in.

In my case, this is about personality flaws, my unawareness of the effect I have on others, as much as it is about "cranky in withdrawal." But managing mood is vitally important when going off the drugs - because remember - SOMETHING about you drove you to the drugs to begin with. I recognize that my "cranky pants" irritability is a pre-drug state, and is likely to be a fairly strong (if more mature) post-drug condition, as well.

I love that expression "you don't have to swing at every pitch " . My H is the exploder . But my WD has intensified what are probably basic personality traits. I can't let anything go. I will react and take things personally and be full of rage. My WD is not helped by having a partner who is not easy going by nature. But I will work on not swinging at every pitch, and learning to drop the ball occasionally, I find it much harder than before to shrug things off/let things go. Doesn't help when you aren't feeling great either

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

JC,

That's really too bad about your hand and karate. I can imagine how satisfying it would be and how it could help with anger.

Not sure how you feel about video games, but they more or less saved my bacon during wd. Boxing was best, but even baseball, volleyball, and tennis were helpful. It was deeply rewarding having all those knock-outs...but beating the top tennis stars was good too. I still suffered the occasional "wii injury" from overdoing...but mostly, it was a safe way to get out my frustrations. I actually notice changes in my mood if I don't play at some point every week...not only is it good for releasing frustration..it also makes me laugh a lot. And it gives me energy, if I'm feeling tired.

I've suffered from underlying irritability a lot in my life. Some of it is just bad mental habits (ie. thinking it "shouldn't be like this")..but a lot of it stems from that more sensitive nervous system, where I feel things so much, that it's overwhelming at times. Through WD, I've become so much better at listening when that begins to happen..so I can do things to take care of myself, so it doesn't escalate into me giving other drivers the finger, for example. I don't know that I could have gone through WD and still been married...pretty certain I'd have had to find a mountain cabin alone for that time.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Hello all, I hope today is going as well as it can be for you. Whenever any of you fine folk have a second to advise me on something that would be excellent.

As with my lexapro withdrawals/taper in the past. I'm getting that extreme agitation and anger thing again on my Zoloft taper. I am still holding at 87.5mg. Not as extreme but it is surely creeping in. Does anyone have any experience with this and what if anything helped with it. Also, is this hyper/hypo tension?

Thank you

I was on lexapro from age 21-27. Tapered without guidance, relapsed, dealt with the most intrusive thought and guilt and OCD I have ever experienced. Thoughts and urges to hurt my own son. It was ******* insane. I couldn't hold a knife in my hand or look at the knife set without having insane thoughts. Literally. I was scared for my life. Doc put me on Zoloft and clonazapam. She cranked my Zoloft dosage up to 200mg over 4 month period. I had bouts of anger I would have to go in the bathroom at work and literally punch the air and freak out in silence I didn't.know what was wrong with me. I would speak things that didn't make sense. I was so scared. It was hell and torture I wouldn't wish on my biggest enemy. I am free from clonazapam. But I take lorazepam daily .5mg or less. Zoloft at 200 mg messed with my blood pressure my blood sugar my weight (lost 20lbs) and anxiety ridden mind daily. Blurred vision etc etc. I am now on 100mg and it's been about a month (200-150-100) albeit this was a quick taper I plan on spending a good while at 100. If I go back up to 150 I start getting the physical side effects that I did so it's a lose lose. So as long as I am not perm. Damaging anything (which I'm unsure of) I want to fight to not go back up again.

Experiencing both of these to the degree that I did was distressing. I found focusing my energy (of anger and agitation) into healthy activities was helpful. I used exercise and writing to channel them. Also talking to people who got why I was angry helped when safe and possible.   

After being on (over 25) psychiatric meds continuously during a 16 year period, I began in July 2014 to taper off 1mg Klonopin. In September 2014, I came off Brintellix, Trazadone, Zoloft, Proprityline & Hydroxyzine in 2 weeks on my own without knowledge on how to taper properly. I've been off all psych "meds" since 10/2014 and am currently experiencing protracted withdrawal.

Medication history: Vibryd, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Prozac, Xanax, Celexa, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Zoloft, Trazadone, Citalopram, Effexor, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil, Brintellix, Protriptyline, Lexapro, Pristiq, Buspar, Clonidine, Lorazepam, Notriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Serzone.

Introduction: http://bit.ly/1SIxWwl.

Hello all, I hope today is going as well as it can be for you. Whenever any of you fine folk have a second to advise me on something that would be excellent.

As with my lexapro withdrawals/taper in the past. I'm getting that extreme agitation and anger thing again on my Zoloft taper. I am still holding at 87.5mg. Not as extreme but it is surely creeping in. Does anyone have any experience with this and what if anything helped with it. Also, is this hyper/hypo tension?

Thank you

I have not been on a SSRI for many years, but I find inositol helps me some with WD irritability in general. I think the usual starting dose is 600 to 700 mg at a time, starting less than that for those of us who are sensitized. I take about 2100 mg at a time (1 tsp. of NOW brand). Most of us take magnesium at some dose. Many take an omega-3 supplement. Exercise. But I am still really edgy when I go through that low point of each drop. But those things might help with the less severe parts.

56 years old

• 5 weeks later...

What does that mean, topics merge?  I woke up at 4am because my son sent me a text and have been in a rage sense.  I dont like that feeling of extreme anger over something so little.  I just couldnt get back to sleep and since sleep is a big problem for me it sent me into a rage.  Isnt there really something that will help this?  Im finding that Im questioning my decision to get of meds because Im not someone I like a lot of the time.  Ive been off paxil for about 7mths now and feel I should be handling things better.  

Started on ad's in the mid 90's.  

Amitriptyline , prozac , Wellbutrin, 'zoloft, effexor, trazodone,   remeron, Paxil, cymbalta 

xanax, buspar, lyrica, gabapentin, sam e, 5htp, L tryptophan, There were other ad's but I cant remember them all. 

Ambien, lunesta, cyclobenzaprine,

levothyroxine

Last ad was  Paxil, 60 mg.  I did a 6mt tapor, 

Only meds at this time is the levothyroxine, fish oil, folic acid, and unisom 

I've been off paxil for 18 mos. and still have lots of symptoms including rage...this can take a very long time to resolve and like me you've taken the drugs for many years.

I also take levothyroxine,have you had labs done lately?

this is such a horrible thing to go through,but it will get better...hang in there.

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

I have labs done every 3 mths. 

Started on ad's in the mid 90's.  

Amitriptyline , prozac , Wellbutrin, 'zoloft, effexor, trazodone,   remeron, Paxil, cymbalta 

xanax, buspar, lyrica, gabapentin, sam e, 5htp, L tryptophan, There were other ad's but I cant remember them all. 

Ambien, lunesta, cyclobenzaprine,

levothyroxine

Last ad was  Paxil, 60 mg.  I did a 6mt tapor, 

Only meds at this time is the levothyroxine, fish oil, folic acid, and unisom 

• 5 weeks later...

Hello people. 

This summer I had very bad anger and irritability along with my apathy, from June to September, I used to punch the walls, smash books to the floor, break things,.. because I was feeling very activated and at the same time completely apathetic, and the only thing that I could feel was anger. It was horrible.

Since September this anger and irritability started to lessen, and now I don't have it anymore. Now my only symptom is apathy, but when the apathy lifts a bit, I find myself thinking about how horrible I behaved this summer and I feel guilty.

I was so peaceful before I ever touched any ssri, and this summer I was  a full of rage, irritable and apathetic monster. Luckily now the only symptom remaining is apathy.... but now my neighbours probably think I am crazy because they heard me this summer screaming or punching walls.... and if they learned that that was caused by an antidepressant, they would probably think "how can a prescription drug do such a thing? that's not possible"

About me ------------------------ College student with a history of anxiety, excessive worrying and health anxiety.

April 2014 - May 2015----------    Prozac 20mg On and Off.  Second time on it I developed apathy, changes in personality, asexuality.

May 2015  -   July 2015-----------------  Tappering off prozac. Still no feelings,anhedonia, apathy, no libido, asexuality.

Current symptoms--------  pssd (asexuality in my case). Anxiety and depression developed some months afer stopping prozac, could have been caused by obsessing and beating myself up too much when I found myself unable to like girls again. The best thing to do with pssd (which in my case is asexuality) is accept it and move on.

• 5 months later...

Looking for some insight and encouragement. I don't post here very often, as my situation is less complicated than circumstances of many, and I feel self-conscious. Nearing the end of a very long, slow taper from 20mg of fluoxetine, I am really struggling with mood.

I feel angry, bitter, resentful, and so irritable, as if others don't have a right to even cross my path. Help! What is this about? Am getting so afraid that this is the "real me" emerging or re-emerging. Have read about neuro-emotions, and that material makes great sense. It is just SO discouraging to be going through it and trying to keep it in perspective. Also, I am adjusting to an estrogen-blocking medication for early-stage, fully treated breast cancer. Could hormones have something to do with this?

Anyone else struggle with this? Any insight appreciated.

Edited by KarenB
merged topics

Current:

*Abt 1995, started fluoxetine 20 mg/day, later raised to 40 mg; *Abt 1997, started Klonopin ? mg/day

*Sept 2016, Klon updosed; swapped fluox for duloxetine/lamotrigine/Seroquel (very small dose of last, for sleep) cocktail

*Abt July 2022, accidental 33% Klon cut, w/no updose; have been holding for 15 mos

*Mar 2023, abrupt lamotrigine cut from 75- to 50 mg/day; *May-June 2023, abrupt dulox cut from 90 mg- to 60 mg/day

*As of June 2023, taking lamotrigine 50 mg/day, duloxetine 60 mg/day, Klonopin .25 mg/day, metoprolol 50 mg/day, Eliquis 5 mg/day, levothyroxine 75 mcg/day

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello MissSerine,

I'm sure you will get many people chiming in that anger/irritability are definitely withdrawal symptoms.  I have had those, myself, and it seems there are many posting about such lately.

I was tempted to move this post into your Intro thread since it is also an update about your situation, but thought you might get more responses from others who commiserate with you on these symptoms.

Is your signature current?  Have you done any tapering since February?  If so, could you please update your signature?  

Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature

I calculated that as of February you should have been at 0.85 ml, so you were ahead of schedule.  At 4 mg/ml that means you were at 2.8 mg.  If you look at the paper in this link Why taper?, you will see on page 4 the graphs for fluoxetine.  You will see that at 2.8 mg the blockage of your receptors is getting quite low, around 25%, but at 6.4 mg where you were at in August, it was at way up near 70% - WOW, that is a BIG change in occupancy you have travelled in nine months!  So, you may want to slow the taper down even more at this point, perhaps 5% per month, since every change will lead to relatively large numbers of receptors freeing up which means symptoms.  You may want to hold an additional month at this point to really let your nervous system get settled with your current dosage. Those emotional symptoms should subside as this happens.

Don't forget to employ lots of self-care during this time.  Keep stress to a minimum.  Are you taking fish oil and magnesium?  Meditation/mindfulness can be helpfull, too.   Might be a good time to re-read 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

I hope this helps.  How exciting that you've come so far in your taper!  

As for the estrogen-blocking drugs, I'll have to look into that further, or maybe someone else can chime in on that.

SG

As your liquid Prozac gets more difficult to measure, you may wish to make a dilution with water.

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Forgot to ask which estrogen-blocking drug you are taking; please add that to your signature, too, along with any other medications you are on. 

Thanks!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

MissSerene

Hello! I am happy that I came across your post and it resonates with me....I too am doing a long taper off of fluoxetine and I am feeling the same emotions that you are and I never related them to withdrawal I thought that maybe it was hormonal for me as I could be perimenopausal ? Perhaps it is our bodies adjusting to the changes of the amount of medicine? So SG was correct-here I am chiming in

I find myself in a battle at times of whether to give in and continue the medicine just so I don't have to experience these emotions and so it can be very discouraging. In your situation I could definetly see how the estrogen coupled with decreasing the fluoxetine could cause this upheaval of emotions ...I may not have been of much help but at least want you to know that you are not alone :)

08/2014 10 mg 8/28/14 switched to liquid 2.5 timeline-9/6/14 2.30=9.2 ...10/03/14 2.07=8.28 ...11/1/14 1.9=7.611/3014 1.72=6.88 ... 12/26 1.54=6.16... 2/16 1.46=5.84 switch to 5% per 3 wks3/14/15 1.38=5.52 ... 4/4/15 1.30=5.2 ...4/25/15 1.24=4.965/16/15 1.18=4.72 ... 6/6/15 1.12=4.48...6/26/15 1.06=4.24 switch to 5%ish per two weeks7/15/15 1.0=4. 7/30/15 .96=3.84 8/13/15 .91=3.64 or .90=3.60 8/29/15 .86=3.44 9/12/15 .82= 3.28 9/26/15 .78=3.12 10/11/15 .74=2.96 10/25/15 .70=2.8 hit a wall been holding since12/26/15 2.5% decrease .68=2.72 1/9/16 .66=2.64 2/6/16 .63=2.52 3/3/16 ,60=2.4 3/26/16 57=2.28 4/30/16 .54=2.16mg 6/4/16 .52=2.08 8/5/16 updose .75=3.0. 9/6/16 1.00=4.0 5mg 2/10/17 6mg 2/17/17 8 mg 3/17/17 7mg ? 3/18/17 6mg 4/1/17 5mg @4/17 4.5mg=1.12 5/19/17 4 mg=1.00ml 7/15/17 .98=3.96

I should have added in addition to these emotions do you feel fleeting sense of uneasiness and sometimes almost a woozy like feeling? I have felt that this afternoon and it produces a sense of angst and anxiousness and sets off like a spiral of not so happy emotions.

Does anyone experience this lightheadedness and uneasiness ?

08/2014 10 mg 8/28/14 switched to liquid 2.5 timeline-9/6/14 2.30=9.2 ...10/03/14 2.07=8.28 ...11/1/14 1.9=7.611/3014 1.72=6.88 ... 12/26 1.54=6.16... 2/16 1.46=5.84 switch to 5% per 3 wks3/14/15 1.38=5.52 ... 4/4/15 1.30=5.2 ...4/25/15 1.24=4.965/16/15 1.18=4.72 ... 6/6/15 1.12=4.48...6/26/15 1.06=4.24 switch to 5%ish per two weeks7/15/15 1.0=4. 7/30/15 .96=3.84 8/13/15 .91=3.64 or .90=3.60 8/29/15 .86=3.44 9/12/15 .82= 3.28 9/26/15 .78=3.12 10/11/15 .74=2.96 10/25/15 .70=2.8 hit a wall been holding since12/26/15 2.5% decrease .68=2.72 1/9/16 .66=2.64 2/6/16 .63=2.52 3/3/16 ,60=2.4 3/26/16 57=2.28 4/30/16 .54=2.16mg 6/4/16 .52=2.08 8/5/16 updose .75=3.0. 9/6/16 1.00=4.0 5mg 2/10/17 6mg 2/17/17 8 mg 3/17/17 7mg ? 3/18/17 6mg 4/1/17 5mg @4/17 4.5mg=1.12 5/19/17 4 mg=1.00ml 7/15/17 .98=3.96

Squirrelly and Ican: Thank you for responding...you made my day/week/month. Running to bed before early doc appointment in morning, but will update signature and respond fully tomorrow. Thank you again....none of us is losing our mind alone!

Current:

• Moderator Emeritus

My post was a bit disjointed...I had written that lasts comment about dilution before completing the rest of it, forgot it was there.  But yes, you can do a 1:1 dilution of your liquid prozac to make measuring small amounts easier.  In a suitable container such as a tablespoon for baking/cooking, mix 0.5 ml of Prozac liquid with 0.5 ml water.  Mix by drawing the solution up into a syringe, dispensing it back into the tablespoon, sucking it back up again, dispensing it, repeat 3-4 times and it should be well mixed.  Now you have 2 mg/ml instead of 4 mg/ml. 

SG

Thanks again to responders. SG, really appreciate great suggestion for diluting small amounts of fluoxetine.

Ican, I don't generally feel lightheaded or woozy, thank goodness. Sorry you are having that problem. I had it when withdrawing from Klonopin several years ago, though.

Flu-like symptoms were the worst part of benzo w/d for me, but the mood shifts/anger/sadness I'm having now feel much more problematic for me. At a time when I really need social contact and support, I tend to shy away from these because I don't want to inflict my mood on others. Don't want to be snappy, critical, judgmental, complaining, and generally negative.

Ican, I have wondered so many times how the hormone shifts of perimenopause, and menopause itself (and now drug-induced estrogen "starvation" for me, after breast cancer) figure into the whole w/d scenario. At times, I try to imagine a point when this is completely over, and I feel so much better. Other times, I'm afraid to even hope for that, and just try to stay in today. I don't want to be disappointed!

Current:

Hello,

It is comforting to know that others can relate to these odd puzzling things that occur while trying to taper...I am always wondering if what fleeting things that occur (or not so fleeting) emotional and physical things are hormonally related or brought on from reducing the medication...I find that when I get into the angry,etc. mode I tend to try to keep to myself rather than lash out...

I wonder as well if things will one day settle and feel even....I hope but am cautious about feeling let down..

I try to live in the moment but thoughts get in the way :)

• Moderator Emeritus

I can only comment from my own experience.  When I went off Effexor, I had been on the BCP my whole reproductive life and realized that, due to my mom and sister going into menopause before or at the age I was at, I must be in menopause.  So, I also went off the pill!  Imagine the chaos my body was in!  

My body has never been one to exhibit extreme reactions to things.   I did NOT have bad withdrawal after stopping Effexor, felt fine, no brain zaps.  I also didn't notice anything when I stopped the pill.  No periods, but no obvious symptoms.  

As time went by, I began to have serious cog fog, and if I recall, there was irritability too.  I thought I had adult-onset ADD and actually pursued testing for that!  I began having heavy sweating, and chalked it up to menopause.  As the months went on, the depression and anxiety hit.  I started BIHR in hopes that it would stop the sweats and make me feel better, but nope.  My mom recalled going on Premarin when she was in menopause because everyone was doing estrogen and feeling great, but she found it to cause apathy, so she quit.  She was worried that my hormone replacement was actually CAUSING the mood problem, but I argued that I had the problem before the hormones and was hoping they would fix it.

When I finally reinstated, everything cleared up, the mood issues, the sweating, the increased pulse and higher BP, all calmed.  So, despite being hormonally challenged, it really was about withdrawal for me.  I finally realized it was all protracted withdrawal AFTER I reinstated.

I don't know if that helps you, MissSerene and Icandothis.  I'm still on the HRT and it's been over a year now, so I guess I need to think about tapering off, but am nervous about doing it in the midst of AD tapering.

SG

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy