SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Germanwings pilot Lubitz was on citalopram remeron and a sleeping tablet zopiclone

ang

http://behaviorismandmentalhealth.com/2016/04/05/the-germanwings-crash-flying-under-the-influence/

But there has been relatively little attention focused on what is, at least in my view, the most glaring and pertinent aspect of the matter:

That Mr. Lubitz was flying a commercial aircraft under the influence of powerful psychiatric drugs that have long been associated with murder/suicides.

(as adverse drug reactions)

Nevertheless, psychiatry, to its eternal shame, has made no attempt to study definitively the role that psychiatric drugs play in these matters.  Instead, there has been spin:  more “treatment” is needed for “mental illness”; these drugs are safe when “properly prescribed”; the benefits outweigh the risks; etc…

Even the horrific events of March 24, 2015, in the French Alps have been insufficient to jar psychiatry from its sordidly self-serving, guild-defensive silence into something resembling common decency.  It took ten minutes for the Airbus to descend from 38,000 feet to its crash site on a French mountain; ten minutes of indescribable terror for 149 innocent men, women, and children.  It is time – indeed it is long past time – for psychiatry to acknowledge the role that these pills are playing in these tragedies, to conduct a definitive study of this matter, and to publicize the problem honestly and prominently.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• btdt

• ang

• westcoast

• indigo

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Line, thanks for posting this.

I was curious about the drugs he was on so did some research and decided to include here for others if interested.

Zopiclone helps you get to sleep faster and sleep through the night. In general, when sleep medicines are used every night for a long time, they may lose their effectiveness. In most cases, sleep medicines should be used only for short periods of time, such as 1 or 2 days, and generally for no longer than 1 or 2 weeks.

From wiki:

Zopiclone is a nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic agent used in the treatment of insomnia. It is a cyclopyrrolone, which increases the normal transmission of the neurotransmitter GABA in the central nervous ...

From:  http://www.rxlist.com/remeron-side-effects-drug-center.htm

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Side Effects:

Get medical help right away if you have any very serious side effects, including: fast/irregular heartbeat, severe dizziness, fainting, eye pain/swelling/redness, vision changes (such as seeing rainbows around lights at night, blurred vision).

Dominal = Prothipendyl  From wiki:

Prothipendyl is an antipsychotic related to the phenothiazines, especially promazine.

From wiki:

Zolpidem is a prescription medication used for the treatment of insomnia and some brain disorders. It is a short-acting nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic of the imidazopyridine class that potentiates GABA ...

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major mirtazapine citalopram

Using mirtazapine together with citalopram can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. ...

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

As long as it remains basically a 'self-reporting' system, this will probably happen again.

How sad for all of those innocent people to be at the mercy of one tortured soul. How does one prevent tragedies such as this? You just can't.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 3 years later...

Topic title:  Could antidepressants have been responsible for killing 150 plane passengers?

Germanwings pilot Andreas Lubitz kept diary that shows his descent into depression... 

I just happened to find this article in the British TELEGRAPH and I am wondering if antidepressants are more deadly than we imagine.

I remember the air disaster in 2015 very well and blamed the pilot as most of the people in the world but now having read the article

and experiencing my adverse reaction and WD I am not so sure who should be blamed. What is your opinion ?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/germanwings-plane-crash/11880154/Germanwings-pilot-Andreas-Lubitz-kept-diary-that-shows-his-descent-into-depression.html

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Altostrata changed the title to Germanwings pilot Lubitz was on citalopram remeron and a sleeping tablet zopiclone

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy