SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Bridgetini: tapered mirtazapine, now venlafaxine

Bridgetini

Hi, I just came across this peer support group and am delighted as I am really nervous about how I will cope with the withdrawal symptoms. Not looking forward to getting more depressive feelings, suicidal thoughts, crying jags, mood swings, energy slumps. 

At least with support I can hopefully surf the waves. 

I still get PMS (32 years and counting!) every 3 weeks and feel like the world is too horrible a place to keep going on - and then my period arrives and I go "Aha! So THAT's what it was!"

Jan 2023: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms

Dec 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg. HRT stopped for hysterectomy surgery 5 Dec 22 (potential clotting risk)

September 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms, Progesterone 100 mg.

Apologies but I can't remember or find details at the moment, but I slowly reduced Venlafaxine and Lorazepam through 2020-2021-2022.

Jan 2022: HRT increased by GP for unknown reason to oestradiol patch 100 microg, progresterone 100 mg

June 2021: started HRT (oestradiol patch 50 microg, progresterone 100 mg). 

August 2020:  Made a 16% reduction in Lorazepam at psychiatrist's recommendation (1.25 mg) while holding Venlafaxine at 150 mg.

March 2019 - March 2020: Venlafaxine  XR tapered from  337.5 mg  to 150 mg (60% reduction), while continuing 1.5 mg Lorazepam.

March 2016 - January 2019: Mirtazapine taptered to 0, while continuing on 1.5 mg Lorazepam and 375 mg Venlafaxine XR.

Feb. 2015: 7.5 mg Mirtazapine + 1.5 mg Lorazepam + 375 mg Venlafaxine.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bridgetini

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• scallywag

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bridgetini and welcome to SA.

Firstly let me wish you Happy St Patrick's Day!!!  It's already 17th March here in Australia.

The idea of doing a slow 10% taper of the previous dose and holding at that dose for 4-6 weeks is to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.  This allows the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  Check out these as they might help you to understand what is happening:

Brain Remodelling

Video: Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery

Thank you for completing your signature.  The information provided is good but we need to know additional details.  I'd like to suggest that you copy and paste your current signature and paste it as a post.  Then re-do the information in a simpler format.  Five years is probably far enough back, and if you list ALL your drugs, dates, doses and how you decreased/increased.  So that the volunteer staff can offer their best advice, they need to know all the details of your drug history.  Thank you.

It would also be helpful if you could post (not in the signature) any symptoms you are getting at the moment.

This a really good website, with supportive and helpful members and staff.  Please use your Intro/Update topic to ask any questions you have and to journal your progress.

Please don't be alarmed, but I am including a drugs interaction below to assist the staff:

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major venlafaxine mirtazapine

Applies to: venlafaxine, mirtazapine

Using venlafaxine together with mirtazapine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate lorazepam venlafaxine

Applies to: lorazepam, venlafaxine

Using LORazepam together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate lorazepam mirtazapine

Applies to: lorazepam, mirtazapine

Using LORazepam together with mirtazapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Bridgetini-- welcome to the group. I love it when people come here with a good plan.  I won't tell you that WD symptoms will be a nonevent if you do a good slow taper but they will be quite manageable.  If you've been reading other threads here and getting upset by what others are going through, then keep in mind that they are not you.  The people who are having the trouble are the ones who have fast tapered or CTed and have switched drugs multiple times.  Even though you're on three different drugs you sound like you're in a stable condition and that's the best place to start.  Attitude is a key factor in doing a successful taper, and being afraid of what MAY happen can cause things to go badly.  Have a look at these links, they have a ton of good information:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Have a read through those and the ones CC listed and then ask us a lot of questions.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks ChessieCat and Brass Monkey.

Stuck for time tonight so I won't redo my signature today.

I used the basic instructions for a homemade suspension of mirtazapine I found on http://patient.info/forums/discuss/how-to-make-a-home-made-liquid-to-taper-off-mirtazapine-502540. 

I made up a 1mg/mL solution of mirtazapine in 1:1 water:maple syrup (4 x 15 mg tablets crushed and shaken up with 30 mL water +30 mL maple syrup to help dissolve it and give it a better flavour).  am keeping it in the fridge. 

I have taken my normal dose of 7.5 mg (7.5 mL of solution using an OTC plastic 2mL syringe) three nights now with no problem - just a bit of tingling on my tongue, probably from Mirap kind of numbing it as it is absorbed in my mouth. I did have a night sweat last night but this may be from an extra blanket.

My spouse is away at the moment so I will hold off beginning tapering until his return in case I do get any alarming WD symptoms.

Hope everyone out there is doing ok.

x

Dec 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg. HRT stopped for hysterectomy surgery 5 Dec 22 (potential clotting risk)

September 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms, Progesterone 100 mg.

Apologies but I can't remember or find details at the moment, but I slowly reduced Venlafaxine and Lorazepam through 2020-2021-2022.

Jan 2022: HRT increased by GP for unknown reason to oestradiol patch 100 microg, progresterone 100 mg

August 2020:  Made a 16% reduction in Lorazepam at psychiatrist's recommendation (1.25 mg) while holding Venlafaxine at 150 mg.

March 2019 - March 2020: Venlafaxine  XR tapered from  337.5 mg  to 150 mg (60% reduction), while continuing 1.5 mg Lorazepam.

March 2016 - January 2019: Mirtazapine taptered to 0, while continuing on 1.5 mg Lorazepam and 375 mg Venlafaxine XR.

Ok, redid my signature anywho.

For the record:

Long-time depressive with Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Depression and probable Autism Spectrum Disorder (diagnosed at age 42).

Nervous breakdown (no. 3) in November 2014, hospitalised for a week. Currently self-employed on a casual basis.

On max. dosage of Venlafaxine (375 mg/day); Lorazepam (1.5 mg/day) and Mirtazapine (7.5 mg/day). 

I am going to try tapering off Mirtazapine as the constipation and weight gain are messing with my quality of life. 

Going to try it at 10% reduction per month as advised, or maybe 5% per month, using a homemade 1mg/mL solution.

NOT looking forward to afternoons crying on the couch... Peer support here would be great. xxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Bridgetini,

You're in a really good situation actually - getting info before you start tapering puts you way ahead of the game.  Waiting till your husband is back is also a good idea.  Other things you can do to prepare to taper include taking Fish oil and Magnesium.   

You might also like to look at Non-Drug Techniques to cope with emotional symptoms and build up some good self-care practises.  That's been my favourite page on s/a.  And you may not get afternoons crying on the couch.  Change is always possible, and emotions continue to move through.  I suspect you actually have a lot of strength, which the doctors won't have noticed or even looked for.  But it is there, always, inside you.   

It's funny they gave you another drug for 'drug-resistant' depression. 

I've had big struggles with depression too, it sure isn't any fun.  But these days, now I've got the medical-model stuff out of my thinking, I cope with it better.  I've built up some helpful tools and supports, and things have improved.  Reducing the amount of Effexor in my system has also helped.  I am slowly tapering Effexor, so will be here to support you as you go.  I see you'll probably start with Mirt - makes sense.

Anyway, welcome to s/a,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I have successfully done 3 tapers of Mirtazapine (a.k.a. Remeron / Mirap) over the last 9 weeks and planned to stay at this level for a couple more weeks as I am going on two weeks' vacation and could do without more withdrawal symptoms during my trip.

BUT I attended my psychiatrist today - whom I see every 3-4 months as an outpatient at a day hospital. I told him about the tapering of Mirap (his assistance saw me during my March session and suggested coming off EITHER Mirap or Lorazepam (Ativan) to alleviate my dreadful constipation problem. He asked why I didn't just cut it out alltogether instead of tapering - I said that I was reluctant to do that as the withdrawal symptoms would make me feel like death. He said that dosages less than the minimum 7.5 mg/day dosage were not recommended as they had terrible sideeffects, hence stopping cold turkey would be better.

So he then recommended that I reduce my daily 1.5 mg Ativan by cutting out the 0.5mg I take at night, and then in a month cut the morning 1.0 mg dose to 0.5 mg.

He wrote my prescription for this reduced daily dose (1.5 mg/day down to 1.0 mg/day) and said "See you in 3 months".

AAARGGHH!!

I'm not a psychiatrist, but everything I read tells me NOT to a) suddenly change tapering from one drug to another and B) cut a benzo by 30%. Especially when I am going on vacation, and when I am still trying to cope with a 30% reduction in an SSRI (Mirap).

I think I will have to stick on my 1.5 mg/day dose of Ativan, but I will need a new prescription. The day hospital staff is less than friendly, and I am seriously questioning my psychiatrist's ability to look after my welfare. 

Why am I scared of contradicting my psychiatrist? Or of having to deal with his horribly unempathetic staff?

He is the one who prescribed the lovely cocktail of SSRIs and benzo and left me on it for over a year...

I know that I have to own my own recovery. 

Any advice??

Edited by scallywag
moved from standalone topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Bridget, I've moved your post to your introduction topic.

Your body and your symptoms are the best guide.  How have you been feeling as you've cut the mirtazapine dose? 

This is probably what your pDoc is talking about -- quoted from the thread on Remeron/mirtazapine in the Tapering forum:

Mirtazapine has a high affinity for histamine receptors and is therefore sedating at low doses. This is countered to some extent by its enhancement of noradrenergic neurotransmission at higher doses, making mirtazapine less sedative as its dosage is increased

You might want to re-read Alto's first post in that Remeron/mirtazapine thread.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Administrator

Bridget, do you need more lorazepam tablets at your usual dosage? If so, iif I were you, I would say politely and firmly to this doctor that you do not want to taper lorazepam until you are finished going off mirtazapine, it seems risky to change two drugs at once.

No, you do not need to do what he tells you to do, but if you do not, you may need to find another prescriber.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks, Scallywag and Altostrata for the replies.

Yes, I need to call the day hospital today to ask my psychiatrist for a prescription for more lorazepam tablets to stay on my current dosage until I am ready to start tapering it.

I am having headaches, skin and slight muscle twitchiness due to the Mirap taper, but nothing too difficult to manage or too alarming.

I don't know how difficult it would be to get to see an alternative psychiatrist in the mental health system here in Ireland.

I am going to an aquaaerobics class this morning, which should help with symptoms and relax/invigorate me a bit.

x

Update: I felt pretty rotten all day today, like a bad hangover - terrible headache, nausea, very tired. So I had a lie down on the couch at home for an hour - I was lucky to be able to. I also have taken 2 g of paracetamol to take the edge off the headache. But I did go to my aquaaerobics class!

I guess my body is still catching up with my Mirap taper.

I called the day hospital and spoke with the nurse - she called back to say that I can pick up the new prescription for the full dose of Ativan in the morning. So I am back to my original plan of tapering off Mirap first, then eventually tapering off Ativan.

I am not scheduled to see the psychiatrist again until the end of September.

• Administrator

Well done, Bridget. Reducing a benzo can be very difficult.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...

Update: I decided that, contrary to my psychiatrist's glib recommendation that I cut my Ativan dose by 33% immediately. Instead I have made a further two reductions of 10% in my Mirtazapine dosage. I had a lot of stressful things to deal with over the summer, so I am glad that I have taken my tapering slowly. I had a virus two weeks ago and a tooth extracted last week, so only this week am I feeling a bit more normal and able to face into another taper. Going down another 10% from today on Mirt - from the last tapers, I expect in about 7 days to have loose bowels movements, some super exhaustion for a couple of days, and then have vivid dreams and tingly allover skin.

In other, related, news - for years I have gotten really bloated and constipated when I eat pasta, so I cut out gluten for the last month and feel somewhat lighter (3Kg on the scale!) and less bloated, less constipated, and slightly more energetic. Perhaps my digestive system has been malfunctioning for all these decades - I remember as a very small child that my Dad would have to scissor my legs up and down to release trapped gas - all part of the same thing?!

So, gluten free it is - I may try introducing oats first in a couple weeks to see if they have any negative effects, once this taper has settled.

Big hugs to everyone out there this evening.  :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on your progress decreasing mirtazapine!

A bit of information for your reintroduction of oats: Oats' main protein, gliadin, is similar enough to gluten that some people have difficulty with both. Glad to read that you're finding answers/solutions to troublesome issues.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• 5 months later...

I am ostensibly doing well, or I was..

On top of career and major life decisions now I discover that I have a big old uterine fibroid. So I have to see a gynae and get a plan to monitor or treat it.

I am nearing menopause, so maybe it will be left in situ. This explains some of my lower back pain and terrible constipation, as the baseball sized lump is pressing on my internal organs.

What next??!

In other news, my marriage is breaking down.

• 1 month later...

Update: I started my new job and it is going okay. I am working 40 hours a week, staying in a house alone, away from my family Mon-Fri. I am keeping it together so far.

I am still tapering Mirt, down from original dose of 7.5 mg/day to 2.5mg/day. I have put decreases in my diary for every three weeks. Once I am off Mirt I will start tapering off my benzo.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for posting and letting us know that you're doing okay. :)

scallywag's Introduction

• 4 weeks later...

I have been steadily tapering Mirt by 10% every 3 weeks for a couple of months, and coping ok.

But I have a major gynarcological issue that is taking a while to be fully investigated. I decided to have my Mirena coil removed as I felt that the hormones could be contributing to my depression.

Whoa mama! Within 2 days a started bleeding heavily, have been for a week now. And I am feeling weepy and like eating tortilla chips all day. I knew that it will take several weeks for my natural female hormones to rebalance. But I had forgotten how labile they can make emotions. I have a lot of uncertainty in my life at presrnt, so I am posting here to remind myself that it is my hormones + neurotransmitters rebalancing themsrlvrs, NOT my innate ability to cope with adulting.

Peace be with everybody out there ✌️

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Bridgetini.

I've been reading through your thread and want to congratulated on keeping things slow and steady.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with marriage and hormones but you are dealing with all of that so well. I found the concept of neuroemotions very helpful in understanding difficult emotions and coping with them better.

I hope things improve for you soon!

(Somebody started a thread asking if we know of people who taper slowly and can continue with their lives. So I'm going to copy a link to your thread).

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• 1 month later...

Just checking in here..

I am down to 1.6mg Mirtazapine per day, stillon my original dosages of 375mg Venlafaxine and 1.5mg Ativan. I am jumping in 0.2 mg reductions of Mirt every 3 weeks and have it scheduled in my phone's calendar to remind me.

Lots of changes in my life as usual. Quit my job: I finish in 2 days. 

My Dad has inoperable stomach cancer so that is a bummer. 

I finally had surgery to embolise a very large uterine fibroid, so I have been revovering from that.

All in all, my mood ain't too bad considering all the emotional and physical upsets.

Big hugs to everyone out there.

Xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Bridgetini, you may want to consider making smaller reductions from here on out. That straight steady reduction of 0.2 mg will be an increasingly larger proportion of your dose which risks triggering withdrawal symptoms.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope that the medical people are able to help him with any pain that's occurring.

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks, Scallywag.  My Dad met his oncologist today and they will start chemo in 2 weeks. He seems relatively upbeat.

About my Mirt taper: going at smaller and smaller increments is so frustrating as there seems to be no end! 

I have been reading up about Mirt used as a sleep aid. Maybe I should stabilise at where I am and then start reducing one of my other meds? 

• Moderator Emeritus

You could stabilize at a dose of mirtazapine and then start to taper another medication.  If you do that, I'd look at the venlafaxine, aiming to get below 150 mg with 10% dose reductions.  Below that level, venlafaxine is an SSRI, above that it also interacts with norepinephrine and n-e receptors.

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks, Scallywag. I appreciate that advice.

I had a bit of a tearful episode earlier: I am between doctors at the moment and will soon need a new prescription. Trying to find a sympathetic ear/ shoulder. I will contact the local peer support group as at least they will be safe to talk to.

Edited by Bridgetini
To thank moderator

Very tearful this evening, much more than I have been in years. I think it is probably because I had my Mirena IUD removed 2 months ago and this is probably PMS. Now I remember why I use contraceptive hormones!  PMS is miserable. I don't need it on top of everything else. Going to wrap up warm in a nice soft blanket and let it all out. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hot water bottles are also comforting during PMS. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks, KarenB.  I had a nice hot bath.  

Feeling very weepy and emotional today. I have two teenage kids who have been super unhelpful although we are supposed to have visitors later. I cancelled the visitors because I can't deal with it all.

For those who have read my tale so far, I started a job in another city (our home from 2000 - 2013) in March and stuck it out until the end of July. It meant staying away from my family Monday-Friday and coming home at weekends. I was pretty wiped each day after work. 

The plan was that my kids would move down over the summer holiday period and my spouse would stay where he was as he was committed to his job, and he would do the weekend trip to us. The kids were registered in new secondary schools and extracurricular classes and we own our own house there which was only occupied by me. I had registered with a new doctor and asked the psychiatric services to refer me to the services in the new city. My assessment date by the new psych services was for 3rd August 2017 (tomorrow).

BUT in June they all three said that they really wanted to stay where they were. So they were not going to move.

So I quit my job, cancelled the schools and classes, cancelled the Psych assessment and asked them to refer me back to the service in my old city. And I moved home last Friday and by Tuesday my spouse had arranged to rent to house to a friend of a friend. 

So I contacted the psych services here to see if they had my records and could give me an appointment but NO WAY. They say that since they discharged me to the service in March they archived my file and I am no longer on their system - I need a letter of referral from a GP or else have to see the Crisis Team in the A+E dept of my local hospital.

I have left my old GP as he spectacularly failed to diagnose a visible, very large, uterine tumour, despite me complaining of classic symptoms and being in the optimal demographic. When another doctor noticed it and I then told my GP, he was embarrassed but not apologetic, and said that he would write a letter to the top gynae that day. But he didn't, and it took a few weeks of stress and me chasing gynaes in both cities, and the GPs secretary ,, and three registered letters, before I got a gynae appointment. 

So: I am almost out of meds - hopefully there is one month left on my script in the pharmacy.

I have to find a new, sympathetic G.P.

I am out of work and have to complete all the forms for jobseeker's benefit.

I need a referral to a psych professional who will support tapering off meds. I don't want to go to the Day Hospital here as the gatekeepers on the phone are so RUDE, which is doubly appalling as they have no human empathy for the people in crisis that they are dealing with. The head psychiatrist has retired and his replacement is one of the original champions of the Venlafaxine - Mirtazapine combination that I am trying to kick.

I had major internal surgery to treat the tumour, and have lost a lot of blood over the last two months. My hormones are fluctuating a lot. I am also tapering Mirt.

I have so much to do to get back on an even keel since March - and I am exhausted. I just want to lie down for a month or so and cry and eat chocolate.

If I am up to it, I will see about calling in person to the Samaritans office in town - I am lucky that there is one there. The local mental health peer support service is closed this week for annual holidays so I can't pop in there for a cuppa.

I am feeling confused, alone, unloved, like an idiot, overwrought, paranoid...

Not weepy today, but woke up with a stonking headache, it took 1.5 g of paracetamol to shift it.

Sooo tired.... Went back to bed for a rest from 3:30 - 6 p.m. I am lucky that I have a family to feed me and that I am off work at the moment.

Brain not functioning right - I cannot find some important documents that I need, but my concentration peters off in the afternoons. Ho hum.

A little more energy this morning, but brain foggy so I can't really concentrate much. I try to do Sudoku puzzles to focus my mind on something unimportant.

I did get up, eat a healthy breakfast, do the dishes,  feed the pets, clean the kitchen, hang out laundry,  have a shower, clean up dog mess from the lawn, eat a healthy lunch, do more dishes,  look again for missing documents. By 13:30 I was exhausted and not able to concentrate on anything and just wanted to lie down. So I am in bed. Thankfully my spouse took a day off today and the family has gone swimming with the picnic I made. I just can't face several hours at the lake with kids, parents,  yelling, jumping, speedboats, jetskis, swans, dogs and all the rest. Time to be selfish.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hope your quiet day at home gave you (some of) the rest you need. (((((((hugs)))))))

scallywag's Introduction

Feeling much better today, thanks Scallywag for the good vibes.

I have either passed through a wave, or possibly had a virus that has passed. Much more able to cope and had the energy for a moderately active day today. If I can get a chance I will update the symptoms chart that I have been keeping (Dr. Glenmullin's format). I haven't updated it for a few months as the tapers hadn't been affecting me much,  but this one and some life changes = WHOOMPH!

• 2 weeks later...

Very achey and headachey - still having to pop paracetamol. Brain foggy, but I am trying to process a lot of documents and letters that I have to submit to government agencies - very difficult. I am trying to make lists and go through them and be methodical and tell myself that it does not matter if it takes a few more days than I thought to get the paperwork sorted.

SOOO tired, although I am sleeping 9 hours a night.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a week long vacation and then a few hectic days getting school books and materials for my kids for the new academic year. I am feeling not too bad, although I expect some existential angst when they are back in school and I am at home alone. I am going to cut my Mirap again, from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, which is about a 6-7% cut. I may stabilise there and try to start cutting my Lorazepam next: will read the benzo tapering advice first. 

Peace be with you all. X

• 5 weeks later...

Checking in: 

My father died last week: he had cancer and deteriorated rapidly over a couple of weeks. I was privileged to be able to spend time with him,  but he was in so much pain that his death was a relief to everyone. My mother needs a lot of support now. I have been trying to make sure that I keep myself healthy: getting rest, taking meds, eating properly as much as possible. (I did have a couple of gins one day, and ate a whole Swiss roll cake over 2 sittings. And if I see another ham sandwich..!!)

I have kept my meds at the same taper for several weeks now. I don't think that this is a good time for another taper.

My family and I made the long trip to my father's homeplace and buried him yesterday. We met some of his cousins that we rarely see, and we all promised to stay in touch. 

I am back home now, exhausted, angry. Angry at how my dad is suddenly gone,  but the world is continuing like nothing happened.  Angry at my teenage kids for being rude, selfish, and unhelpful. Angry at my self for raising such lazy, snotty kids. Angry at my husband for being also selfish and messy. I am tired of cleaning up all their messes. I need some time to heal and deal and try to enjoy myself again. 

No changes to meds, but I did have 3 gins last night, which probably doesn't help my mood today.