How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Rhiannon

Bruci,

I agree with you whole-heartedly.  This post by Rhiannon in 2012 (or about that time) changed everything for me and I believe is one of the most powerful posts ever written here.  Perhaps many would think it changed things in a bad way for me because I go so slow, but I finally understood why I couldn't make teeny-tiny changes w/o feeling complete withdrawal almost immediately.  One change affects everything else you take (including food and supplements)  Since I have been taking 3 psychotropic drugs for 20 years and been on an AD for nearly 40, my brain changed.  I am still plugging away one speck at a time but I have only "up-rooted" about 1/2 (or maybe less)  of the plant on my trellis over 10 years. That is all my brain will allow me to do.  I was not stable at the outset of my taper and have not been willing to updose enough in order to get stable so I just plug away one speck at a time, trying to feel okay about the fact that I won't be off these drugs before I die, but I am putting less toxins in than I was a decade ago.  Had I not done what I did then, I am sure I would not be here now.  I have a ton of iatrogenic illness due to poly-pharmacy so it is quite a juggling act.  The biggest take-home point here is that reducing one drug affects everything else you ingest...and the vine will collapse if you mess with too much of it.  Though I have not collapsed, I live on the edge of collapsing but am determined to continue going forward one speck at a time.  I do not compare my progress to anyone else's because they are not me!  So don't prune that vine too aggressively but keeping pruning.  Good luck.

Grace

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  • currently 2024 still on 96 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

I've always used the anolgy, if that's the right word.  That people who don't take the drugs, their brains go through life flawlessly, like when we were all children. The worst ones on anti depressants, our brains have missed out on what naturally should have happened, including living with any anxiety/depression etc. That's how I kinda see it, and have said that before joining the site. My brain has had to work it out. 

I use the word flawlessly as for me personally on the drugs, everything got interupted. I don't think there's no shame in saying that I want to feel like I did prior drugs. If I have my old symptoms/worries back, will have to address them in another way

Social Anxiety diagnosis at root.

Born. 1983.

2001 - 2003  olanzapine and risperidone. 

2003 - 2007 Seroxat and prophanol. Cold turkey. Went on venlafaxine straight after.

2008- 2014. Venlafaxine. 6 month taper, crushing tablets powder form.

end 2014 - present. No meds.

• 4 months later...

Awesome read. Now I can explain this to my family members that view these brain altering drugs like Aspirin. 

2010–2022 paroxetine dosage has fluctuated between 40mg highest to 20mg lowest. Currently on 20mg once daily.

I stopped taking drug in Sep, 2020 to beginning of April 2021 & had to get back on within the same month.

No other drugs/medications being taken at this time.   

Prior drugs were Prozac for about a month while trying to come off of Paroxetine which didn't work. I don't remember exact date maybe 2019. 

"Stay hopeful, better days are coming".

Hello everybody! I read this entire thread and was concerned about some statements. I had a very sudden withdrawal of medication according to medical advice, could this indicate that my brain will never go back to what it was? Will I always have sequelae from the drugs? How much does the dose interfere with withdrawal? If I used high doses for a short time or medium doses for long periods, how does that affect withdrawal? Which situation is worse? Do I run the risk of the brain having an imbalance in the future for having already used these drugs one day? Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions!

2021 Feb 25 - 15mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 March - 30mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 April - 30mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripirazole

2021 May - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 June - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 July - 30mg Mirtazapine and 0mg Aripiprazole

2021 July 20 - 15mg Mirtazapine  

2021 August - 0mg Mirtazapine

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

Gosh, Warrior. If only anyone knew the answers to these reasonable, yet unanswerable questions! We are all so different. I have been participating  in SA for years and I learned long ago that we are all so different. What causes a setback for one person, has no effect on another. Doses, time on drugs, multiple changes in drugs, genetics, epigenetics, diet, exercise and lifestyle, etc are remarkably different in each unique individual. I know someone on this forum who took an A/D for just a few weeks and was irreparably harmed. Others have taken huge doses of various drugs over decades, and managed to get off everything. Others, like me, have been tapering at a record snail’s pace and will likely never get completely off. I have had a lot of acceptance to do along the way and have learned not to compare my journey to anyone else. I have followed the general advice given here to the max, but health issues from a lifetime of chronic problems have made me choose the least bad path…which is terrible…but the least bad. I used Rhiannon’s analogy about clipping off too much of the vine at once to help me accept that 10% cuts at a set rate would not  get me off. Now I do what my brain and body allow. 

Good luck. SA is a guideline. There is no one set absolute for any of this. If only I had known all if this 40 years ago. By the time I knew what had already happened to me, serious damage had been done. 

please listen to what your brain and body can handle and just keep going…one “crumb” at a time…if necessary. 

Grace

• 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

@savinggraceHi! Thank you very much for replying! It's sad to know that. So many lives damaged by this and unfortunately, we have no other way out than to face this process. I'm worried, because I was forced to use these drugs and I had to fight everyone to start the withdrawal, it was very difficult. I'm young and I was just going through a phase of stress, but because of these meds, I've already wasted more than a year of my life just suffering, stuck at home without being able to do the things I'd like to do. I've been on 0mg for 9 months now and I still have strong symptoms. Clearly we are in different stages of life and withdrawal too, you are probably a mature person and you have already faced a lot, you must know how to deal with it all much better than I do.
I'm trying to get through this as best I can, there are days that are very difficult and I think about giving up, but deep down, I have to believe that it's just a phase. Facing it all is only more distressing, no one really understands until they go through it. My body suffers a lot from all these symptoms and I end up destabilizing myself too, getting emotionally shaken.
I hope one day we will be here reporting different moments of joy and well-being, supporting other people who also need help.
I just have to thank you and everyone here at SA! Thank you very much!

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

There is so much hope for you Warrior, so please don’t compare yourself to me. My psych drug journey began post-partum  with my first child. I suffered for a year before I was diagnosed. (1980) Meanwhile I was given sleeping pills. I was young, trusted the doctor and felt so much better once put on amitriptyline…for years. Then it stopped working. In the meantime I suffered from poly/pharmacy for constant sinus infections and various other maladies which contributed to destroying my gut. It wasn’t until about 15 years ago that I realized what the drugs were doing to me. I had to retire from a teaching job I adored at age 48. 

I have barely been getting by since. I tapered all 3 drugs, one at a time, until life became unbearable. I chose to hang on to the “shreds” of life that were left. Long-term hospitalization would have been the psychiatric path off and I knew, from my incredibly sensitized system, that I would just survive that only to be put on different drugs. 

So I live a very very small life. I do get out of bed and have managed to maintain relationships with important people, just barely. I am 67. I still taper crumbs every few months and have never up-dosed once I made this choice. 

I am getting sicker and don’t expect to live much longer. I will not go into the hospital as I know it will just bring changes my brain/body can’t, and won’t handle. I take it one day at a time. My frail body is hanging on barely but my mental ability remains intact. For that I am grateful. 

You have accomplished so much that I never will. I hope you continue to make the choice not to turn back to the drugs. You have decades ahead for your brain to heal. 

Meanwhile be kind to yourself and do not engage with people who push you in the wrong direction. Live a clean lifestyle and wait and hope for the day your brain shows signs of healing. I am sure it will!

My best to you, Warrior. Keep on fighting. 

Grace

Hi Warrior,

one more comment after more closely studying your drug history…

you were on high doses of powerful drugs. In my opinion, and in the protocol recommended here, you did an awfully rapid taper off both drugs. 

Many people have made the same mistake and they do eventually recover, but as in Rhiannon’s analogy, you likely tore off too much of the vine at once, causing your brain to need to work much harder (and possibly longer) to achieve homeostasis. 

It can, and it will. It is just going to take more time. You can do it. Every day free of drugs gets you one day closer to being your old self again!

Grace

3 hours ago, savinggrace said:

There is so much hope for you Warrior, so please don’t compare yourself to me. My psych drug journey began post-partum  with my first child. I suffered for a year before I was diagnosed. (1980) Meanwhile I was given sleeping pills. I was young, trusted the doctor and felt so much better once put on amitriptyline…for years. Then it stopped working. In the meantime I suffered from poly/pharmacy for constant sinus infections and various other maladies which contributed to destroying my gut. It wasn’t until about 15 years ago that I realized what the drugs were doing to me. I had to retire from a teaching job I adored at age 48. 

I have barely been getting by since. I tapered all 3 drugs, one at a time, until life became unbearable. I chose to hang on to the “shreds” of life that were left. Long-term hospitalization would have been the psychiatric path off and I knew, from my incredibly sensitized system, that I would just survive that only to be put on different drugs. 

So I live a very very small life. I do get out of bed and have managed to maintain relationships with important people, just barely. I am 67. I still taper crumbs every few months and have never up-dosed once I made this choice. 

I am getting sicker and don’t expect to live much longer. I will not go into the hospital as I know it will just bring changes my brain/body can’t, and won’t handle. I take it one day at a time. My frail body is hanging on barely but my mental ability remains intact. For that I am grateful. 

You have accomplished so much that I never will. I hope you continue to make the choice not to turn back to the drugs. You have decades ahead for your brain to heal. 

Meanwhile be kind to yourself and do not engage with people who push you in the wrong direction. Live a clean lifestyle and wait and hope for the day your brain shows signs of healing. I am sure it will!

My best to you, Warrior. Keep on fighting. 

Grace

Hello, Grace! I'm impressed with your life story. I can't imagine what you've been through, it was certainly very difficult. I would like to be able to do something for you, help you in some way. I am sad to hear of your current situation, without a perspective. I imagine it is not easy and simple. Still, I wish you the best, Grace! May you stay strong too, just like you're asking me to be! The strength you are giving me is incredible.
I had no choice to get into these drugs, I was forced to use them, against my will, unfortunately. At the time I knew I was going through a difficult phase and I felt confident to overcome it and continue living.
I will follow your advice and help! I have to keep fighting this.

3 hours ago, savinggrace said:

Hi Warrior,

one more comment after more closely studying your drug history…

you were on high doses of powerful drugs. In my opinion, and in the protocol recommended here, you did an awfully rapid taper off both drugs. 

Many people have made the same mistake and they do eventually recover, but as in Rhiannon’s analogy, you likely tore off too much of the vine at once, causing your brain to need to work much harder (and possibly longer) to achieve homeostasis. 

It can, and it will. It is just going to take more time. You can do it. Every day free of drugs gets you one day closer to being your old self again!

Grace

True, Grace! The vine analogy is a very good one. In fact, with everything I've been going through, I feel like my brain is ripped apart, somehow incomplete, weakened, in shock at the new reality that has been presented to it. If that's the way, I just have to walk it, as you said. 

Thank you so much again! I thank you 1 million times if necessary and the entire SA. I don't know how I would have spent this time without this community and these diverse reports.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been on zyprexa for probably nearly 15 years at 10mg everyday for that amount of time including a daily AD for even longer, now i can understand a AD affecting your neuro transmitters and your brain learning over time to adapt again without the drug and so becomes a new brain, however zyprexa actually shrinks the brain! how does your brain grow back to its original size? is that possible? at present i am not capable of thinking about anything that involves anything creative or thought provoking...just the basics eg what am i eating for dinner, do some shopping and cleaning..nothing that makes me anything more than just a monkey and works on auto pilot! any thoughts on this anyone?

Cipramil  40mg  1996 to Oct 2017 stopped cold turkey

Only on Zyprexa from now on :   10mg solid form 1998 to Oct 2017

7.5mg solid form  Oct 2017 to Oct 2019 5mg solid form  Oct 2019 to Apr 2020

3.75mg solid form Apr 2020 to May 2020 2.5mg solid form  May 2020 to Feb 2021 2.5mg solid 3/4 and 1/4 liquid w/ 5mls water 6th Feb 2021 to 2nd Apr 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid and 1/2 liquid w/10mls water 3rd Apr to 26th Jun 2021

2.5mg dissolved in 25mls of water from 27th Jun 2021 to 22nd Oct 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid, 1/2 dissolved in 10mls of water from 23rd Oct 21 to 7th Feb 2022 water titrating from 7th Feb 2022 to 13 Aug 2022:  2.2425mg

3 hours ago, morgana said:

i have been on zyprexa for probably nearly 15 years at 10mg everyday for that amount of time including a daily AD for even longer, now i can understand a AD affecting your neuro transmitters and your brain learning over time to adapt again without the drug and so becomes a new brain, however zyprexa actually shrinks the brain! how does your brain grow back to its original size? is that possible? at present i am not capable of thinking about anything that involves anything creative or thought provoking...just the basics eg what am i eating for dinner, do some shopping and cleaning..nothing that makes me anything more than just a monkey and works on auto pilot! any thoughts on this anyone?

Hello @morgana! I don't know about brain shrinkage caused by these medications, but I don't doubt it can happen as they change everything in our body. And even more so because you say yes. I also feel like you described, like I'm on autopilot, I can't visualize my actions, thoughts. It's like I know what I'm doing, but I can't rationalize it. I answered a thread about this and it feels like the frontal lobe is turned off or blocked. It also happens with ideas, abstractions, as well as anesthetized emotions.
I believe these symptoms will pass, but I don't know how long it will take.

• 1 month later...

Hi - reading this topic has been so interesting, I've been on citalopram for years and never really understood how it worked biologically. I've been on SSRI's since I was 14, and at that stage I was still not developed, so I've been on this type of drug since before my brain and body fully developed and matured. A decade later I've tried to reduce citalopram and its been awful, and I'm worried that because of how long I've been on SSRI's and the fact that I was on them from a young age has meant that it'll take my brain years to 'repair' or just get used to being on a lower dose. I tapered way too fast (trusted the doctors advice to just taper in a few weeks..) and even though I'm stopping all adjustments now (to let my brain heal) my brain feels zapped every day. It's so awful being in your early 20s and feeling like your brain just isn't okay, while everyone around you seems to be getting on with their lives. 

2012 - Fluoxetine 10mg. 10mg --> 20mg soon after 

2017 - direct switch from Fluoxetine 20mg --> Citalopram 20mg. 20mg -->30mg soon after.

2017 - addition of Pregabalin 50mg daily, stopped a year later in 2018. 

December 2021 - citalopram 30mg --> 40mg, 4 week updose taper. 

18th Feb 2022 - citalopram 40mg --> 30mg (due to side effects) 

30th March 2022 - citalopram 30mg-->25mg (rec by doctor, in order to ultimately reduce citalopram and switch medications). 

24th April - 30mg-->20mg. Side effects. 30th May - 20mg-->15mg. Side effects. 9th June - 15mg->10mg. 11th June - 10mg->15mg.

15th June - Addition of 7.5mg Mirtazapine. 20th June - stopped mirtazapine (bad side effects). 

11th June to 5th August - citalopram 15mg hold. 6th August - 15mg --> 16.5mg (to try and alleviate acute WDsymptoms)

Currently - on 16.5 mg citalopram. 

Supplements - 250mg Vitamin C daily 

• 2 months later...

This is so very true.

When I had my Reglan reaction I felt just terrible for about 2 months, didn't know what was going on with my body. When I finally realized my symptoms spiked after taking it and told my doctor, it was dismissed because "the drug was out of my system". This led me to doubt my own body and what I was going through. If I had left it alone there I would probably be fine by now. I had a clear wave and window pattern going on and, despite the akathisia being crippling, there was occasional respite.

Well, trusting the doctors accepted that this was likely somatoform disorder and accepted a cascade of drugs. Eventually, after a crisis, I took one dose of quetiapine, it sent me running around my apartment in excruciating discomfort. I thought that was it, I would have to either be put in a psych ward or kill myself.

That acute crisis eventually passed and I got my akathisia diagnosis out of it. Following the advice I got here, I trimmed down my Rx and am only on Mirtazapine 15mg, Klonopin PRN for crises. I feel better than I felt at the beginning but I also have windows less often, they are also less "clean".

There is no other explanation for this but the absolute beating my CNS took the last 6 months, getting on and off drugs often, willy-nilly. The damage and chaos created will take now longer to heal than it would had I left it alone. The akathisia I am struggling to bear would have likely gone by now had I left it alone.

It is a long windy road of unbelievable suffering for me. And that road is tardive/chronic akathisia and a Mirtazapine taper.

I've made my peace with it but can't help feel mad at how I was handled by medical professionals. From my initial nausea to the emergence of akathisia.
I was never told or even imagined my nausea medicine was a psychotropic and no one bothered to tell me. Not the doctors, not the pharmacists.

This has destroyed my life, now I must heal, and then rebuild.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @PortugueseSea  You've gone through so much.  I send you healing wishes.

Arbor 💜

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

16 hours ago, arbor said:

You've gone through so much.  I send you healing wishes.

Dear Arbor, thank you. My path will be documented here and I will hopefully, one day, be able to pay forward the support I get.

My symptoms are at the point of becoming bearable, but not quite yet.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

• 6 months later...

Does this mean polypharmacy together with young age. I started at 18 years of age and with paroxetine and zoloft,  and got exposed to olanzapine on the way... now I am 22 and feel like I am getting worse... any advice?!?

2018 zoloft 

Paroxetine 2018-2021

Olanzapine and trazadone 2021 February to March then cted

2021 April - May Welbutrin & attivan.

2021 june - September zoloft 150mg

2022 March - May rTMS

Attivan from time to time 

2022 Octomber - December brittellix 20mg

2023 January till now brittellix 40mg 

Now at 30mg awaiting to start stabilizing before going down by 10%

Timetable till 0 probably 1 year

@Rhiannon do you believe that people which started meds at 18 (now 22) can recover? There were multiple CTes of the meds which took place as doctors instructions.. after that ..also aside from this I have also been exposed to olanzapine which my DNA can't handle.. what can I do?

2018 zoloft 

Paroxetine 2018-2021

Olanzapine and trazadone 2021 February to March then cted

2021 April - May Welbutrin & attivan.

2021 june - September zoloft 150mg

2022 March - May rTMS

Attivan from time to time 

2022 Octomber - December brittellix 20mg

2023 January till now brittellix 40mg 

Now at 30mg awaiting to start stabilizing before going down by 10%

Timetable till 0 probably 1 year

• 4 weeks later...

I have found this explanation of what happens to serotonin receptors in SSRI withdrawal, I find it very logical, it makes me easier to understand what happend with serotonine receptors:

Neurons in the brain use both electrical and chemical signals to work.  When a neuron is stimulated, it fires electrically.  This stimulates the release of neurotransmitters at the end of the neuron.  These chemicals flow in the gap between neurons until they bind to receptors on another neuron.  Once enough neurotransmitters have attached to the next neuron, it stimulates that neuron to fire electrically, and the process continues.  SSRI affect the chemical part of this process.  Chemically, SSRI mimic the neurotransmitter Serotonin on one side of the molecule, but are different, otherwise.  When it binds to a receptor, instead of activating that receptor, it blocks it.  These receptors absorb excess Serotonin and store it in the neuron.  By blocking the absorption of Serotonin, more of this neurotransmitter stays in the gap between neurons.  The theory is that having more Serotonin available to stimulate new neurons improves mood.

As receptors that are stimulated by Serotonin are blocked, less of the neurotransmitter is absorbed back into neurons.  The brain responds to this lack of stored Serotonin by creating new networks of neurons in an attempt to reestablish the old state of function.  These new receptors are in turn blocked by the SSRI.  As the process continues, the dosage of an SSRI prescription may be increased to counteract the brain’s attempts to restore the old functional state.  Patients refer to this as “poop out”.  It’s similar to the tolerance that other drug users experience.  The difference is that most illegal drugs act on a wide range of neurotransmitters, whereas SSRI target Serotonin specifically.

In withdrawal, the blocking action of the SSRI is removed, and the excess networks of neurons are able to absorb Serotonin again.  Since the brain has been trying to balance against reduced absorption capacity, the result is over absorption.  Serotonin is closely linked to emotions and mood.  The over absorption of Serotonin can lead to extreme fluctuations in mood and even create symptoms in the patient that mimic serious mental illnesses.  Psychosis, anxiety, fear, and even suicidal thoughts are not uncommon.  It takes a long time for the brain to re balance to the new amount of Serotonin.  The brain once again rewires itself and reduces its capacity to absorb Serotonin.  During this rewiring, moods and emotions can fluctuate.  Many patients withdrawaling from an SSRI report that their mood can be different from day to day.  This most likely reflects the fluctuations in available Serotonin.

The rest is here:

How SSRI work in withdrawal | James Heaney (wordpress.com)

2019  march to september fluvoxamin, stopped during 4 weeks
2020 march to june 3 different antidepressants, every month one of them

2020 july to september clozapin, stopped during 4 weeks

2021 may trintellix (whole box at once)

2021 may to september lorazepam and may to december venlafaxin xl, both stopped during 4 weeks

2022 june to december aripripazol, escitalopram, lorazepam (and 2 more in june, one of them mood stabilizer), aripripazol stopped cold turkey

2023 during january sulpirid, stopped cold turkey

2023 january to april continued with 20 mg escitalopram and 5 mg lorazepam

escitalopram 3 April 10 mg

lorazepam 10 April 3.75 mg

• 4 weeks later...

With multiple drugs and a history of drug changes and cold turkeys, all of this becomes even more complicated. And if a person is started on these kinds of drugs at an early age before the brain has ever completely established normal mature functioning--well, it can't be good. (All of which is why I recommend an extremely slow taper particularly to anyone with a multiple drug history, a history of many years on meds, a history of past cold turkeys or frequent med changes, and a history of being put on drugs at a young age.)

Does this mean someone who was medicated at age 7 is better off just staying on the drug, or is healing still going to happen? I've been tapering for two years, minor improvements. I am now 29 years old.

Medicated at age 7. Many med changes (over 20). Tapered off Xanax in 2018. 

PAXIL TAPER:  
2021: Feb. dropped from 20mg to 15mg Paxil. Terrible. Bedridden for 8 months.  Oct. - 14.6mg  Oct. 27 - 14.2 mg Nov. 14 - 14mg  Feb. 28 - 13.6mg March. 28 - 13.4mg April 5 - 13.4mg but introducing liquid (bad reaction)  2022:  November 14 - 13.2mg  2023:  January 4 - 13mg March 7 - 12.7mg April 20 - 12.4mg May 16 - 12.1mg Aug. 30 - 12mg Oct. 19 - switched from tablet to liquid from compounding pharmacy Nov. 12. 11.65mg Nov. 30 - 11.3mg Dec. 18 - 10.95 2024 Jan. 4 - 10.75  Feb. 10 - 10.4 Feb28 - 10MG!!!!!! April 9 - 9.95

With multiple drugs and a history of drug changes and cold turkeys, all of this becomes even more complicated. And if a person is started on these kinds of drugs at an early age before the brain has ever completely established normal mature functioning--well, it can't be good. (All of which is why I recommend an extremely slow taper particularly to anyone with a multiple drug history, a history of many years on meds, a history of past cold turkeys or frequent med changes, and a history of being put on drugs at a young age.)

Does this mean someone like me, who was medicated at age 7/8 and is now 29, is better off just taking the drugs at this point? Today I am back in the depths of withdrawal, even with tapering 2% and waiting a month or more between drops. I just don't know what to do. I would do anything for my life back -- has someone like me gotten off the drugs and recovered? 

PAXIL TAPER:  
2021: Feb. dropped from 20mg to 15mg Paxil. Terrible. Bedridden for 8 months.  Oct. - 14.6mg  Oct. 27 - 14.2 mg Nov. 14 - 14mg  Feb. 28 - 13.6mg March. 28 - 13.4mg April 5 - 13.4mg but introducing liquid (bad reaction)  2022:  November 14 - 13.2mg  2023:  January 4 - 13mg March 7 - 12.7mg April 20 - 12.4mg May 16 - 12.1mg Aug. 30 - 12mg Oct. 19 - switched from tablet to liquid from compounding pharmacy Nov. 12. 11.65mg Nov. 30 - 11.3mg Dec. 18 - 10.95 2024 Jan. 4 - 10.75  Feb. 10 - 10.4 Feb28 - 10MG!!!!!! April 9 - 9.95

I wonder what happened to the brains of the immediate adverse reaction folks like me, who took only one pill (or very few) before coming down with withdrawal like effects for many months, if not years. Did that one pill (or three) make holes in our brains and cause us so many problems?

Jan 29, 2023 - Took my one and only dose of Mirtazapine (15 mg). Developed an immediate adverse reaction with list of withdrawal-like symptoms.

• 3 months later...
On 4/26/2023 at 12:45 AM, Arian said:

I have found this explanation of what happens to serotonin receptors in SSRI withdrawal, I find it very logical, it makes me easier to understand what happend with serotonine receptors:

Neurons in the brain use both electrical and chemical signals to work.  When a neuron is stimulated, it fires electrically.  This stimulates the release of neurotransmitters at the end of the neuron.  These chemicals flow in the gap between neurons until they bind to receptors on another neuron.  Once enough neurotransmitters have attached to the next neuron, it stimulates that neuron to fire electrically, and the process continues.  SSRI affect the chemical part of this process.  Chemically, SSRI mimic the neurotransmitter Serotonin on one side of the molecule, but are different, otherwise.  When it binds to a receptor, instead of activating that receptor, it blocks it.  These receptors absorb excess Serotonin and store it in the neuron.  By blocking the absorption of Serotonin, more of this neurotransmitter stays in the gap between neurons.  The theory is that having more Serotonin available to stimulate new neurons improves mood.

As receptors that are stimulated by Serotonin are blocked, less of the neurotransmitter is absorbed back into neurons.  The brain responds to this lack of stored Serotonin by creating new networks of neurons in an attempt to reestablish the old state of function.  These new receptors are in turn blocked by the SSRI.  As the process continues, the dosage of an SSRI prescription may be increased to counteract the brain’s attempts to restore the old functional state.  Patients refer to this as “poop out”.  It’s similar to the tolerance that other drug users experience.  The difference is that most illegal drugs act on a wide range of neurotransmitters, whereas SSRI target Serotonin specifically.

In withdrawal, the blocking action of the SSRI is removed, and the excess networks of neurons are able to absorb Serotonin again.  Since the brain has been trying to balance against reduced absorption capacity, the result is over absorption.  Serotonin is closely linked to emotions and mood.  The over absorption of Serotonin can lead to extreme fluctuations in mood and even create symptoms in the patient that mimic serious mental illnesses.  Psychosis, anxiety, fear, and even suicidal thoughts are not uncommon.  It takes a long time for the brain to re balance to the new amount of Serotonin.  The brain once again rewires itself and reduces its capacity to absorb Serotonin.  During this rewiring, moods and emotions can fluctuate.  Many patients withdrawaling from an SSRI report that their mood can be different from day to day.  This most likely reflects the fluctuations in available Serotonin.

The rest is here:

How SSRI work in withdrawal | James Heaney (wordpress.com)

There are no receptors that absorb serotonin. There are receptors on the post-synaptic neuron, to which serotonin binds, and there are autoreceptors that regulate how much serotonin is synthesized and released, on the pre-synaptic neuron. It is the serotonin transporter which absorbs serotonin that after prolonged inhibition from SSRIs, might become more sensitive, which is one possible explanation for withdrawal syndrome. When the drug is suddenly removed, you might experience the exactly opposite effect of the initial one - now you have excessive reuptake of serotonin which SSRIs were inhibiting. 

The topic is interesting because there are different hypothesises for SSRI withdrawal syndrome etiology, we don't have clear research what long-term changes these drugs can cause in the brain system.

Venlafaxine 75mg, 150mg, 225mg December 2020 - March 2021

Sertraline 50mg, 100mg March 2021 - April 2021

Escitalopram 10mg, 20 mg April 2021 - May 2021

On 7/2/2022 at 6:27 AM, Erin9 said:

Hi - reading this topic has been so interesting, I've been on citalopram for years and never really understood how it worked biologically. I've been on SSRI's since I was 14, and at that stage I was still not developed, so I've been on this type of drug since before my brain and body fully developed and matured. A decade later I've tried to reduce citalopram and its been awful, and I'm worried that because of how long I've been on SSRI's and the fact that I was on them from a young age has meant that it'll take my brain years to 'repair' or just get used to being on a lower dose. I tapered way too fast (trusted the doctors advice to just taper in a few weeks..) and even though I'm stopping all adjustments now (to let my brain heal) my brain feels zapped every day. It's so awful being in your early 20s and feeling like your brain just isn't okay, while everyone around you seems to be getting on with their lives. 

On 5/22/2023 at 2:26 PM, Sunflower414 said:

Does this mean someone like me, who was medicated at age 7/8 and is now 29, is better off just taking the drugs at this point? Today I am back in the depths of withdrawal, even with tapering 2% and waiting a month or more between drops. I just don't know what to do. I would do anything for my life back -- has someone like me gotten off the drugs and recovered? 

Hi I have been on AD since age 14 and I’m 32 now. After a cold Turkey I reinstated and am kindled and screwed. Meds aren’t working yet I can’t come off of them and stuck in protracted withdrawal. How are you both. 

5/10-viibryd 15 to 10 start 10 prozac

5/17-adrenaline surges, panic, viibryd to 7.5

5/20-stopped viibryd ?serotonin syndrome

5/23-stopped Prozac as symptoms continued 

6/2-reinstated viibryd 5mg

6/7-10 mg-better x 1 week only

6/13-15 mg-same thing

6/22-20 mg-same thing but akathesia went away

7/7-viibryd 25 mg split 15 am 10 pm
7/7-started Lunesta to sleep, 0.25 Ativan prn.

7/27-started propanolol 10 mg BID
8/1-viibryd reduced to 10 mg am 10 pm

Hi @Ma205 I'm still struggling. Not as badly, and I've had great windows. But still trying to find a good way to taper while maintaining some kind of quality of life. I hope you are well. Hang on. Xoxo

PAXIL TAPER:  

2 minutes ago, Sunflower414 said:

Hi @Ma205 I'm still struggling. Not as badly, and I've had great windows. But still trying to find a good way to taper while maintaining some kind of quality of life. I hope you are well. Hang on. Xoxo

how fast are you tapering and have you ever stabilized in between tapers? I’ve been holding almost 3 months and I’m just getting worse. Pretty much went from full time NP, wife, daughter to disabled 

6/13-15 mg-same thing

@Ma205 I understand. It is very hard. I'm very sorry you are experiencing this. When I finally decided to hold, I started having some relief and windows after holding for 8 months. But of course everyone is different. 

PAXIL TAPER:  

8 minutes ago, Sunflower414 said:

@Ma205 I understand. It is very hard. I'm very sorry you are experiencing this. When I finally decided to hold, I started having some relief and windows after holding for 8 months. But of course everyone is different. 

omg 8 months…are your symptoms worsening with your menstrual cycle? And what are you symptoms?? I’m having severe morning adrenaline, cortisol rushes, akathisia, tremors, gut issues, vision issues, dizziness, temperature issues, severe depression and panic. 

6/13-15 mg-same thing

@Ma205 Yes it's crazy how much these drugs make us feel, but it is temporary. Unfortunately no one knows how long it will last. Everyone is different. Yes during my period it is always an uptick in symptoms. Do you have a doctor who knows about tapering? Do you have any emotional support? Those things are very important. I haven't looked at your thread, but I would ask the mods what they think you should do. My recommendation would be to hold where you are for as long as it takes to feel stable again. 

PAXIL TAPER:  

3 minutes ago, Sunflower414 said:

@Ma205 Yes it's crazy how much these drugs make us feel, but it is temporary. Unfortunately no one knows how long it will last. Everyone is different. Yes during my period it is always an uptick in symptoms. Do you have a doctor who knows about tapering? Do you have any emotional support? Those things are very important. I haven't looked at your thread, but I would ask the mods what they think you should do. My recommendation would be to hold where you are for as long as it takes to feel stable again. 

okay that’s good to hear that you experience the same during your menses. Well I guess I need to hold for much longer. Yes the mods are helping. Did you have some of my symptoms? 

6/13-15 mg-same thing

@Ma205 Yes I would say I had almost all of those plus more. It will get better, unfortunately the only thing that helps is time. Also when you begin tapering again (if you decide to) go slower than slow. ❤️ 

PAXIL TAPER:  

2 minutes ago, Sunflower414 said:

@Ma205 Yes I would say I had almost all of those plus more. It will get better, unfortunately the only thing that helps is time. Also when you begin tapering again (if you decide to) go slower than slow. ❤️ 

Yeah I plan to take years, only problem is since Iv reinstated I’m having severe side effects to the ssri that keep getting worse every month so I’m not sure if I have a choice to keep holding but we’ll see. Thank you for responding, you have given me hope. 

6/13-15 mg-same thing

@Ma205 You are welcome. You will be okay. It's hard to know what to do. I know some people taper very very slowly and end up feeling better because their system can keep up with the changes, and they know they are moving closer to being drug free. You will be okay. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. Give yourself grace & patience. ❤️ 

PAXIL TAPER:  

On 9/25/2023 at 8:50 PM, Sunflower414 said:

@Ma205 You are welcome. You will be okay. It's hard to know what to do. I know some people taper very very slowly and end up feeling better because their system can keep up with the changes, and they know they are moving closer to being drug free. You will be okay. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. Give yourself grace & patience. ❤️ 

May I private message you??

6/13-15 mg-same thing

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy