DCnemsie

DCnemsie

I just wanted to say I think your avatar is great and I'm so impressed by how hard you are working to get drug free! Also, I made a liquid for my gabapentin. I thought it would be really hard but once I go the hang of it, it was pretty easy. You can do it!

MN

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DCnemsie

• Fresh

• SquirrellyGirl

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

25mg tab - 25 ml water - (Let it sit until disolved) Throw 5ml away.

LAMICTAL: Prescribed 7 years ago; 825mg - Decreasing 10% monthly. Currently taking 600mg. Ugly withdrawals! Migraines, nausea, chills, sweats, sound & light sensitive, anxiety, depression, extreme exhaustion, dizzy ZOLOFT: Prescribed 2/22/16 25mg-am ** 25mg tab-pmCLONAZEPAM: Prescribed 18 years ago. Started at 1mg. - Upped to 4mg. (2mg-am & 2mg-pm) With doctors help, I decreased it to 2mg. - no problems.Extremely forgetful! Discouraged! Stressed! I'm determined to do this, SAFELY <p> Hydroclorathiazide 25mg, edema - Potassium 8meq - Estradiol 1mg on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (hysterectomy at age 30) -Levothyroxine 75mcg (right lobe of thyroid removed in 2001, non-cancerous tumor - B1 (sister and I diagnosed with Beri-Beri - B12 - D3 - Magnesium - C - Omega3 krill oil - Biotin, hair thinningApril 4, 2016 - LAMICTAL 625mg * CLONAZEPAM 2mg * ZOLOFT 50mg * Hydroclorathiazide 25mg * Potassium 8meq * Estradiol 1m, M-W-F * Levothyroxine 75mcg * Premarine * Clobetasol * B1 * B12 * D3 * Magnesium * C * Omega3 * Biotin * Symptoms: Tingling, Clenched Jaw, mild headache, slight nausea 4/11/16* 625mg Lamictal *** was taking 600mg & increased to 625mg *** 2mg Clonazepam (not tapering) * Zoloft- started 25mg on 2/22/16, increased two weeks later to 50mg. I stopped tapering the Lamictal when it was suggested that I taper the Zoloft first. I started my first taper at 45mg. I thought the itching,tingling,nausea,anxiety,jaw clenching,sound sensivity, muscles jumping & spasms were a reaction TO TAKING the Zoloft. I dropped to 1 & 1/2 tab today. I'm tired of thinking:(
  • Moderator Emeritus

Thanks DC, that makes our job much easier.

How about this - I know you've only been on it just over a month - but that's long enough for it to get its hooks in.

Try your first 10% taper for a month.  If that goes smoothly, try your next taper in 3 weeks - timing it to be a "good time" like a long weekend, if possible.

If 3 weeks works fine, do a couple of those and if they are still fine, you can shorten it to 2.  It's better to err on the side of caution, than to go too quickly and regret it.

Just a reminder:  the 10% is 10% of your LAST DOSE, not of your starting dose.  So 10% of 50 mg is 5 mg.  The next taper will be 10% of 45 mg, or 4.5 mg, and the taper after that will be 10% of 40.5 mg, or 4 mg.  This is important, because withdrawal is not linear!

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

:)
LAMICTAL: Prescribed 7 years ago; 825mg - Decreasing 10% monthly. Currently taking 600mg. Ugly withdrawals! Migraines, nausea, chills, sweats, sound & light sensitive, anxiety, depression, extreme exhaustion, dizzy ZOLOFT: Prescribed 2/22/16 25mg-am ** 25mg tab-pmCLONAZEPAM: Prescribed 18 years ago. Started at 1mg. - Upped to 4mg. (2mg-am & 2mg-pm) With doctors help, I decreased it to 2mg. - no problems.Extremely forgetful! Discouraged! Stressed! I'm determined to do this, SAFELY <p> Hydroclorathiazide 25mg, edema - Potassium 8meq - Estradiol 1mg on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (hysterectomy at age 30) -Levothyroxine 75mcg (right lobe of thyroid removed in 2001, non-cancerous tumor - B1 (sister and I diagnosed with Beri-Beri - B12 - D3 - Magnesium - C - Omega3 krill oil - Biotin, hair thinningApril 4, 2016 - LAMICTAL 625mg * CLONAZEPAM 2mg * ZOLOFT 50mg * Hydroclorathiazide 25mg * Potassium 8meq * Estradiol 1m, M-W-F * Levothyroxine 75mcg * Premarine * Clobetasol * B1 * B12 * D3 * Magnesium * C * Omega3 * Biotin * Symptoms: Tingling, Clenched Jaw, mild headache, slight nausea 4/11/16* 625mg Lamictal *** was taking 600mg & increased to 625mg *** 2mg Clonazepam (not tapering) * Zoloft- started 25mg on 2/22/16, increased two weeks later to 50mg. I stopped tapering the Lamictal when it was suggested that I taper the Zoloft first. I started my first taper at 45mg. I thought the itching,tingling,nausea,anxiety,jaw clenching,sound sensivity, muscles jumping & spasms were a reaction TO TAKING the Zoloft. I dropped to 1 & 1/2 tab today. I'm tired of thinking:(

You can do this !  :)  

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

25mg tab, 25ml water, let tab dissolve, throw away 5ml, take this dose for 4wks, is this correct?

• Moderator Emeritus

"25mg tab - 25 ml water - (Let it sit until disolved) Throw 5ml away. "

When you have dissolved the tablet in 50mls water , you will take 2 doses of 22.5mls each (a.m. /p.m.)

Then throw away the remainder.

Your doses need to be equal to keep everything even. Try to take them 12 hours apart.

You've got this.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

:) Here I go

Just checking in. I'm doing pretty good. :) Have to make sure hubby doesn't pour my medication down the drain. Poor guy was upset. The articles I've shared with my family has really helped them understand what my body is going through.

Hi, Update * Still taking 625mg Lamictal * 2mg Clonazepam * Weaned to 45mg of Zoloft. I have to get off of the Zoloft as quickly as possible. I feel confident I'm not having withdrawals from the 10% decrease. Looking back, my body never acclimated to the Zoloft. I started feeling bad immediately upon taking it & now I'm feeling worse. Exhausted! Almost impossible to type this morning because of my hands shaking. Noise sensitivity is getting worse. Muscle spasms & twitching is worse. Took a long nap yesterday, something I rarely do. My "thought" is: Take 1 25mg tab plus 1/2 25mg tab for 4 weeks *** 25mg for 4 weeks *** 1/2 25mg tab for 4 weeks *** DONE *** I'm stressed, Zoloft is horrible!!!!!!

I have a doctors appointment 1 week from tomorrow. I'm upset with myself for not stopping the Zoloft immediately. When I started taking it, I wondered if I was having an adverse reaction. Wellllll, I think so. How many times have I read on this site "listen to your body"? Wellllll, I should have paid more attention! Can you tell I'm upset? :)

Yes, I feel your pain. I did stop the Prozac after 4 days but not until I almost killed myself with it. It was the weekend and I waited for the doctor's office to open to stop it. Duh! Didn't know a thing back then. Just waiting for some "professional" to tell me what to do. Apparently I'm a slow learner because look what I let them do to me with the Valium. :wacko::P 

Well, we're all wiser now and we will get through this! Others have and we will, too! :excl::) 

Thank you MN :) ***** THESE CRAZY MEDS!!!!!!

This morning I cut my Zoloft to 35.5, I washed my hair twice yesterday because my head itches. Earrings I've worn for several years itch. No changes have been made with my 625mg Lamictal & 2mg of clonazepam. Has anyone else had itching while taking Zoloft? I don't want to go off cold turkey, I watched my Mom go through withdrawals.

I feel like this is the best place for advice. Since I'm having an adverse reaction to Zoloft, is tapering 12.5 each drop going to freak my body out? Probably? I feel like it's going to be sucky if I do and sucky if I don't. Today the itching is worse, it has spread to the back of my neck. The muscle twitching is worse. I've been putting campho-phenique on one area of my scalp which is more "sensitive" than other areas.* I'm really frustrated. I wish I'd recognized my symptoms were caused by Zoloft. :(

:(
  • Moderator Emeritus

Yikes, not sure what happened but you went from cutting your Zoloft to 45 mg on April 5 to cutting to 35.5 mg today, six days later!  Are you taking it twice a day, or once?  What happened to giving yourself 3-4 weeks to see how it affects you?  Itching is a withdrawal symptom.  These drugs affect the histamine receptors as well as the intended neurotransmitters, and freeing up some of those receptors can trigger itching and allergy-type symptoms.   The symptoms you listed yesterday as getting worse are not because of an adverse reaction to Zoloft since taking LESS wouldn't make you feel WORSE - that is withdrawal, most likely, on top of the Lamictal reductions.

Did I miss something about how you are doing your taper?

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dc , is it correct that you started taking zoloft on 22 Feb. at 25mg twice a day? So this is a fast taper

which ideally should not take longer than the length of time you took the zoloft for (5 weeks).

I had bad itching from lexapro. It's a symptom of toxicity , so even though you're decreasing the dose ,

you're still adding more stuff each day. It will resolve when your level gets low enough.

To avoid confusion , please could add a line to the bottom of your signature about zoloft - total time

taken and dates/dosages of decreases.

You might try splitting the zoloft dose to see if that minimizes the itchiness (less of an assault on your

system than one big hit). You could do this by moving half the dose forward a few hours each day until you

have doses 12 hours apart.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I updated my signature. On 2/22 I started on 25mg of Zoloft, 2 weeks later I increased it to 50mg. I've been bouncing around with the dose (is didn't know if I wanted to take it or not) I stayed on 50mg for a short time, approx 4 days ago I began a liquid taper of 45mg. When the itching started & got worse :( I dropped to 1/2 of a 25mg tab this - Tonight I took 25mg. Tomorrow I'll start 45mg again. I can't stand this itching & noise. Already showered and in bed. I'm frustrated with myself and weary. My biggest problem is.... I'm afraid my doctor is going to become impatient and take me off of the Lamictal. I know he's fine with the Zoloft. The doctor would be ok with 400mg of Lamictal (I think) it sucks having new doctors. I don't know if it's a possibility to get a liquid Zoloft from Kaiser. :(

For some reason, I feel more comfortable tapering the Lamictal first. Probably because I know how much it helps my Mom & Sister. I don't think I ever needed the Lamictal. I think too much. For some reason I feel the Lamictal needs to go fir8. :( I'm sure you're all getting frustrated with me. I'm frustrated with myself. :(

Oops, the Zoloft helps my Mom and Sister.

Today I feel focused. I ordered my scales. I need to be organized & make sure my tapers are accurate ♡

• Moderator Emeritus

That is wonderful, DC!  Overthinking is a withdrawal symptom, really.  Don't be hard on yourself.  I'm glad you feel confident and focused today and got your scale ordered.  I found it very empowering to take control with my scale and know that I was doing right by myself with the 10% taper.  Gotta weigh out some more doses for the next two weeks!

Get really comfortable with your scale and learn its idiosyncrasies.  If you got the Gemini20, it tends to drift between weighs, so what I have found works best is to calibrate the scale at the beginning of each weigh session and then put one of the 10G calibration scales on the weigh pan to be sure the scale is reading true between weighing doses.  If the weight drifts from 10.000g, take the weight off and tare the scale, then put the weight back on.  If it refuses to weigh 10.000G, recalibrate.

Good luck!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi Squirrelly ♡ Thank you so much! ♡ Instead of mixing the powder with water, would capsules work? When I dissolve my tabs in water, there's always residue at the bottom of my glass (I try to rub it off with my finger) - I can get the empty capsules on Amazon.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are able to get an accurate draw of the liquid before it settles, then powder in the bottom of the glass you are drinking from is not a big deal.  What I would recommend is to add water to the glass, swirl and drink. Add more water, swirl and drink.  Do this until there's no more residue.  Plus you'll be nice and hydrated :-)

If there is a problem with measuring your dose before some settles, then you might need to mix with a heavy syrup or get the Ora-Plus or similar suspension liquid.  I have gone to that method with my mirtazapine since it is not very soluble and will settle quickly.

Yes, you could get empty gel caps, but it is tricky to get the measured dose into the capsule without spilling it.  I think I saw reference to some kind of micro funnel for filling capsules but have no experience with it. If it were me, I'd stick with the liquid if you can solve any settling problem.

SG

After talking with my family, we've come to the conclusion that tapering the Lamictal first is my best course of action. My goal is reducing from 625mg (10% decreases) until I reach 400mg. I'm blessed to have this group and a family willing to ride this pony with me. Please be patient with me ♡ I have to go with my gut feeling. I'm still taking 2mg of clonazepam & will hold at 45mg of Zoloft. My scales were delivered today. Calibrated perfectly, then I don't know what happened to them :(

• Moderator Emeritus

My scales were delivered today. Calibrated perfectly, then I don't know what happened to them :(

LOL, did you pull one of my moves and put them in a perfectly logical place which dropped out of memory and is no longer perfectly logical?

When you say "scales" plural, why did you get more than one?

I'm so glad that you have such a supportive family, makes a huge difference!

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

Hahaha , SG you make me laugh. I don't think the scales disappeared , but that they stopped

weighing correctly or stopped being calibrated? What happened DC?

And is it correct to say scale or scales? I thought it was like underpants ... you never say

underpant right? Friday afternoon musings ;).

Some people find using a coin or paper clip or something small on the scales in addition to the

powder / fragments makes the weighing more accurate.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

They calibrated great, then... the numbers started "spinning" when I tried to weigh meds. :) Scales, because we stand on them with two feet ( plural) I'd rather stand on one foot, I'd be much happier, so would my doctor. I tell my husband, "you have two wives now"

These scales work by very sensitive electronics and they sometimes get confused which shows up as the number "spinning".  They are designed to weigh on the even milligram and if the weight is a little more or less to round to the nearest milligram.  Sometimes they can't make up their mind about the rounding and the numbers start jumping all over the place.  They are also very sensitive to any vibrations in the table or air currents, which will cause the same thing on the readout.  I have to make sure the furnace isn't running when I do my weighing, because it really causes trouble.

Placing the calibration weight in the pan and pressing "tare" and then leaving the weight in the pan will put the scales into their midrange where they are the most accurate and most stable.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you Brassmonkey

• Moderator Emeritus

Even mouth-breathing could do it ;-)

I like to leave the weight on and not tare so I can be sure the scale is weighing true since it can drift. I've seen it weigh the cal weight as 10.003 but still go to 0 when the weight is removed, rather than 0.003. Since both weights cause the same thing, it's time to calibrate again!

SG

Thanks - I thought I broke it.

I'll hold my breath:)

OK, I "think" it's going to work. Trying to find a perfectly flat area, I started on the kitchen counter, moved to the stove, dining room, living room, bedroom, bathroom, back to the kitchen- I found a flat tile. It's 100% calibrated. :) Thank you for helping me. ♡