SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

mjk1970: Overprescribed, poly-drugged, upset...and ready to get off

mjk1970

Hi everybody,

It's good to be here. This looks like a really great community of people who support each other through the weaning-off/withdrawal process of antidepressants and other psychotropic meds.

In a nutshell, I'm horribly overprescribed. I had to be hospitalized in November due to withdrawal symptoms from trying to come off different medications too quickly, including Valium. The irony is that I hadn't been taking those medications for longer than two years. I'd been taking the Valium intermittently to help with my sleep, but more regularly when my doc started to pile medications on me. She told me to just keep taking Valium, which I did more regularly, without letting me know that I couldn't just up and quit it, nor did she warn me about the serious withdrawal effects that can happen as a result.

After I got out of the hospital, I was put on a cocktail of new meds, which my psychiatrist increased, but nothing except the Effexor seemed to help much. Even though I suspected my psychiatrist wasn't doing what was in my best interests, I was kind of stuck with her as it would take me several months to get an appointment with a new psychiatrist. When I did find a new psychiatrist, she started to go to work on quickly taking me down from some of these meds, but I felt terrible W/D symptoms right away so reinstated. Under her, I've only been able to partially taper two of my medications, but I need to go at my own pace and not become so crippled by my W/D that I can't function at home or at work. I have two kids and a household to help support with my husband, and if it means taking a couple years (or more) to get off these meds, then so be it.

My current doctor has recommended that, if it's taking me so long to get off the medications, I should go into a hospital where they'd take a much more "aggressive" tapering schedule, which basically means cold turkey. I had a taste of that in November and really don't want to repeat (or exacerbate) that experience. She thinks that I should taper the Ativan last, but it makes me feel not so great to take it. I can't tell whether the symptoms I feel from it--pressure on my head, organic fear, constant worry, obsession, anxiety--are tolerance withdrawal-related or direct side effects of taking the Ativan--or one of the other meds I'm on. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist who specializes in addiction therapy, and is said to be amenable to slow tapering schedules, on Monday, so I will see if she is willing to be a partner in my tapering and healing.

I feel terrible that I allowed my original doctor to use me as a human guinea pig for so many meds, but I know I can't beat myself up or live in the past. All I can do is move forward and make the best decisions for my health, which is to taper slowly as to avoid (or at least minimize) W/D symptoms.

See my sig line for the cocktail (grimace). :blush: More on my experiences is here: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/03/16/1502500/-My-experience-with-benzodiazepines-the-meds-that-too-few-know-are-dangerous

Questions for the community (and apologies if they've already been addressed in another thread):

• Is it really true that it's better to wean off the A/Ds before the Ativan (benzo)? I feel that I'm having negative symptoms that worsen at night and make me pretty useless past 6 or 7, so I'm wondering whether it would actually be better for me to come off Ativan first to rule it out as the cause of these symptoms.
  • I've heard that it's a bad idea to taper a benzo and an A/D at the same time. Is it acceptable to partially taper one medicine and hold, then partially taper the Ativan and hold, then resume tapering the A/D medicine?
  • Can one safely taper an SSRI and a mood stabilizer at the same time, or an SSRI and an atypical at the same time, or is it best to just focus on one at a time?

Thanks for letting me be a part of this community! :)

Edited by scallywag
tags

Current meds (Unluckily LOTS; I no longer see original prescribing doctor):

6/11/16: Effexor 150 mg, Zoloft 62.5 mg, Lamictal 150 mg, Ativan 1 mg, Seroquel XR 75 mg, Trazodone 100 mg

11/6/16: Effexor 187.5 mg, Zoloft, Lamictal 125/150* mg, Ativan 1 mg, Seroquel XR 75 mg, Trazodone 50 mg

* alternating doses every other day

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi mjk,

Welcome to SA.  I notice you have already posted on a few other topics, so I can tell you are getting to know your way around the site.  Please forgive us if we give you links to information you have already read, but obviously we don't know what you have and haven't seen so it would be better to give you too much information than not enough.  And thank you for completing your signature.  It's nice and clear and a big help.  I suggest you update it as you taper with dates and doses so that it remains current and can be seen at a glance.

My first suggestion would be to put ALL drugs you are currently taking into the drug checker, then copy and paste it here.  That will help the staff to make suggestions on what may be the best order to taper your drugs.  Drug Interactions Checker

Have you seen these?

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing from Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery (4 minutes)

I'll leave it at that for the moment.  Someone else is sure to pop in and give you some more links to helpful information.

You can use your Intro/Update topic to ask questions about your own situation and to journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks much, Chessie :) I punched in the information into that Drug Interaction Checker, and the three meds that came up with a Major rating were Effexor, Zoloft, and Trazodone (risking serotonin syndrome). So I'm wondering if I need to taper the Zoloft first, then the Trazodone? (I'm planning on staying on Effexor for the time being as that med does seem to help.)

6/11/16: Effexor 150 mg, Zoloft 62.5 mg, Lamictal 150 mg, Ativan 1 mg, Seroquel XR 75 mg, Trazodone 100 mg

11/6/16: Effexor 187.5 mg, Zoloft, Lamictal 125/150* mg, Ativan 1 mg, Seroquel XR 75 mg, Trazodone 50 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mjk

That was quick.  I was just coming back to correct the Drugs Interaction Checker.  I gave the SA link.

I'm a new mod and currently don't have any knowledge of poly-drugging.  One of the other mods will be able to offer suggestions, and of course I will learn from their response.

Could you please add the dates to your signature when you started on each of the drugs?  This might be helpful for the mods when deciding what to suggest you taper first.

Oh, and are what are your current symptoms?

Edited by ChessieCat
added last question

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi mjk , welcome to the site.

There are a few links you'll find helpful in planning your strategy moving forward.  Essentially , we recommend tapering the most activating drug first , in your case zoloft.

Better to taper just one drug at a time - if you get symptoms you know what it's from and can adjust accordingly.  It is possible and safe to spend a few months tapering one drug , then a few months tapering another. "Alternate tapering".

Click on these:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Taper more than one drug at a time?

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks, all. I did update my sig, putting the current date and all meds as of this date on one line. That should hopefully make it easier for people to read without having a HUGE block of signature to read as the tapers move forward. 

Not sure if I mentioned this already, but I'm meeting with a new doctor on Monday who has specialties in addiction and is amenable to slow tapers. Crossing my fingers that all will go well with this doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, so I'm coming off a rough handful of days after my last cut on Ativan; see update in sig; I actually made the cut on the 1st but was considering updosing, so waited till I was well and pot-committed before I made an update to my sig. 

Today, I feel a bit better, but I am still worried and discouraged. Even though I've only been on these meds a matter of months (Trazodone since October; Zoloft, Ativan, and Lamictal since late November; Seroquel since late December; Effexor since late January), I worry that they're doing brain damage to me and it will be hard to taper off each of them. My sig doesn't include the unceremonious C/T and switch to the November drugs that happened in late November, so I am concerned I am still going W/D from those other meds--and I wasn't on those for that long, either. 

The logistics of the tapering are what scare me the most. I've bought equipment to do liquid tapering, but the whole idea of tracking every micro-gram, cutting slivers or points of a milliliter from a dose frustrates me to no end. It seems like such a time-consuming and life-altering process, but I want to do a safe taper off each of these meds, so I know it's not going to be a fast process. My worst fears are when I travel, what am I going to do with all of my equipment in an airplane? in a hotel? Out and about? Ugh, it makes me angry at the entire drug industry for promising us relief from anxiety and depression, and instead giving us ten times what we asked help for.

I am so angry at myself AND my former psych for signing on to all of these meds, thinking that they would help in some way. It's only been in the past month that I haven't felt absolutely miserable--and even though my ability to work hasn't been hampered, I feel that my social and family life has been altered (nights are when I'm at my worst) and I don't do many of the things I used to do that made me feel whole and fulfilled. I'm also more reluctant to talk with family and friends about these feelings very often because I don't want to burn out my network of support due to compassion fatigue.

Can anyone identify with these feelings? I'm not asking for a pity party--just some understanding and reassurance.  :wub:

Yes, I definitely identify with those feelings, some more than others and my perspective on them changes continuously.  If you read through others' posts you will find that despite the differing combinations of medications or length of exposure, we mostly feel and experience the same guilt, regret, anger, etc.  Some handle it better than others, some can accept it and only look forward.  I think it's highly dependent on your situation in life.  I'm 30 years old, newly married, had a great career ahead of me and now I'm on disability.  For myself, after a year of living in this nightmare I haven't gotten any closer to accepting my situation, but I have learned to control my emotions around others to avoid what you called compassion fatigue. 

What I've found helpful is simplifying my life as much as possible.  Put all your bills on auto-pay, establish a weekly repeating schedule, confide in a few close friends/relatives and forget about trying to explain this experience to everyone else.  And probably most important, do not expect any medical professional to fully grasp, understand, or even acknowledge what you are experiencing.  Most will try to equate the withdrawal to opiates, heroin, or alcohol when in fact what we are experiencing is orders of magnitude worse.  Only those that have experienced this themselves can appreciate the life altering nature of withdrawal from psychiatric medications.   

My personal opinion on what to prioritize with tapering would be any benzodiazepines (Ativan, Valium, Xanax).  From my experience, their mental and physical dependency forming effects are much more rapid and much more detrimental than ADs.  That is only my opinion.

Best of luck.

Year 0:      Social anxiety, obsessive thoughts, NO depression, NO suicidal ideations

Years 1-2: Ativan (benzo) <1mg as needed, not abused but developed physical dependence

Years 2-3: Paxil (20mg) augmented with Adderall XR (10-20mg) due to withdrawal from Ativan

Years 3-Present: Severe depression, headaches, psychiatric hospitalization, lost job, etc.

IHP, I am so sorry for what you've had to go through. I'm sorry you lost your job. :hug: If you don't mind my asking, are you still on Paxil and Adderal, or have you tapered off? Is your husband supportive of you?

I've learned arguments on both sides for tapering the benzos first vs. last. Now I'm not so sure what I want to taper, although I've been working on the Ativan. My new psych wants me to switch to Klonopin because it is longer-acting, but that involves a "cross-over" process that could take weeks. She also feels I should get off the Seroquel first as the long-term effects of it could be very detrimental, so I'm thinking I'll focus on Seroquel first and hold on the Ativan. I've read several places that it's not a good idea to taper a benzo and an A/D or A/T at the same time.

MJK,

I've been off all medication for about 10 months now, off of Paxil for 1.5 years.  I did an ill-informed rapid taper because I began experiencing some major memory issues while on the Paxil/Adderall combo as in I couldn't find my way home from work.  My wife is supportive, but like everyone, she's only human.  I was incapacitated for several months, couldn't leave the house, intrusive suicidal ideations, etc.  Once the "acute" phase passed (which was about 6 months, not very acute) things have gotten easier but I'm still not able to contribute much to the relationship. 

With respect to the tapering, the one thing that is for certain with all of this is that it's very individual and you'll learn as you go.  So whatever direction you do go, it's better than staying on the meds.

-Dave

Year 0:      Social anxiety, obsessive thoughts, NO depression, NO suicidal ideations

Years 1-2: Ativan (benzo) <1mg as needed, not abused but developed physical dependence

Years 2-3: Paxil (20mg) augmented with Adderall XR (10-20mg) due to withdrawal from Ativan

Years 3-Present: Severe depression, headaches, psychiatric hospitalization, lost job, etc.

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry for mistaking you for a woman! (blush) Yes, I had suicidal ideation (which was very scary to me--perhaps the scariest of all the symptoms) from being unceremoniously CTed from Latuda and Valium. That landed me in the hospital. My husband has been very supportive, but like you say, he is only human, and I am trying to be respectful of his need for me to not obsess about the meds/withdrawal thing--like it's the only thing I'll talk about.

Tapering IS very individual, and who knows? Maybe I won't have it as bad as I imagine I will. But I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I will do two things I didn't do so well before this all happened: 1) I will listen to my body and HOLD if things get too rough. I still want to work and be a functional member of my family/society. 2) I WILL speak up if I feel my doctor is leading me down a bad path (e.g. overly rapid taper). We have to do these things as if our lives depended on them, because, really, they do.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MJK and welcome. Good to meet you and glad you have found us. 

In answer to your question, I can identify with those feelings (and so can many others -- you are in good company here).

- I have had suicidal thoughts (not fleeting) since my doctor-prescribed, too-fast taper of Paxil. VERY scary as I have nothing in my life to feel suicidal

about. I find some days it's just a matter of holding on, which I always do. I am now tapering 10%.

- Anger at doctors, yes; I was very vulnerable when I first went on medications, as we all are; 

- of course, not living in the past as there's not anything we can do about taking the drugs in the first place. 

Again, welcome.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Thanks, SkyBlue. :) Yes, I find myself wondering what would've happened if I'd just said "no" to my former doctor putting me on this med and that, and also pushing through her taper schedule even though it was driving me (literally) crazy. But the past is past, and were it that we could all have access to a time machine, but alas.

Dave/IHadPassion: I lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area for 10 years, most recently in Brown's Point. I live in Tampa now (and have for the past 14 years) and miss the Northwest terribly!

mjk, Just found this. I'm so sorry for all you've been through. And yet you sound so strong and brave. I can see why you would miss home. I have never been there, but the Pacific NW has always seemed like a wonderful, beautiful place to me.

I've been poly-drugged, too, but nothing like what you've been through! I'm so glad you decided to move forward and cut down these meds. Hope to hear more from you.

(((hugs)))

MN

MN, I wish I felt brave and strong, but this experience still has me scared. I still have a long way to go, and not knowing how the tapering is going to go for this many meds is torture in and unto itself. I know you're supposed to stay in the present and not worry about what's going to happen in the future ("what-ifs"), but it's hard not to think of the possibilities, especially when reading so many accounts of people's terrible experiences with both benzos and A/Ds. :(

Hope you find some relief soon. (((((HUGS))))))

Yes, I know the feeling. I try to find the success stories and read them. The key seems to be to be patient and go slowly to minimize symptoms. And somehow live one day at a time. Sometimes one minute at a time.

Hugs,

MN

Yeah. Again, hard for me to do, because the five-year-old in me says, "I've already been through enough! I don't wanna go through more distress!" but I guess I have to put my big-girl pants on and face the music...as depressing as that may seem. :-/

Perhaps you could find a guided meditation on mindful acceptance. I'm not into Buddhism, but there are secular versions. If you find a good one with a voice you like, it can be very helpful at learning to stay in the moment. Acceptance and staying in the moment are the secrets to this. How I wish I could find some of my old links on the topic. I'm afraid I've become very scatter-brained. I think recovery-road.org has some info on acceptance somewhere. (Hope I got that site name right.)

Hugs,

MN

Thanks, MN. I'll have to search for some mindfulness acceptance meditations on YouTube. I've done Baylissa's meditations on recovery-road and think they're great. :)

Hang in there,

boof

I'm scared too. Everyday I wonder if I've made my liquid correctly. I try to make sure my husband knows the glass on the counter is medication - so he won't pour it out - Again! I don't know how many times I've calculated my decreases, at least once a day. I don't want to experience withdrawals again. I don't know if a person can be overly cations? I think I'm just paranoid. I know calculating and recalculating is ridiculous! I keep a journal, I include almost everything; what time I got up, what meds I took, how I feel, what I ate, what I did, what time I went to bed. I know, overkill! I continue to be nauseous, so I don't eat like I should. I won't calculate AGAIN tonight! It's discouraging when I see how many years this is going to take. I feel so inadequate. "SIGH"!

LAMICTAL: Prescribed 7 years ago; 825mg - Decreasing 10% monthly. Currently taking 600mg. Ugly withdrawals! Migraines, nausea, chills, sweats, sound & light sensitive, anxiety, depression, extreme exhaustion, dizzy ZOLOFT: Prescribed 2/22/16 25mg-am ** 25mg tab-pmCLONAZEPAM: Prescribed 18 years ago. Started at 1mg. - Upped to 4mg. (2mg-am & 2mg-pm) With doctors help, I decreased it to 2mg. - no problems.Extremely forgetful! Discouraged! Stressed! I'm determined to do this, SAFELY <p> Hydroclorathiazide 25mg, edema - Potassium 8meq - Estradiol 1mg on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (hysterectomy at age 30) -Levothyroxine 75mcg (right lobe of thyroid removed in 2001, non-cancerous tumor - B1 (sister and I diagnosed with Beri-Beri - B12 - D3 - Magnesium - C - Omega3 krill oil - Biotin, hair thinningApril 4, 2016 - LAMICTAL 625mg * CLONAZEPAM 2mg * ZOLOFT 50mg * Hydroclorathiazide 25mg * Potassium 8meq * Estradiol 1m, M-W-F * Levothyroxine 75mcg * Premarine * Clobetasol * B1 * B12 * D3 * Magnesium * C * Omega3 * Biotin * Symptoms: Tingling, Clenched Jaw, mild headache, slight nausea 4/11/16* 625mg Lamictal *** was taking 600mg & increased to 625mg *** 2mg Clonazepam (not tapering) * Zoloft- started 25mg on 2/22/16, increased two weeks later to 50mg. I stopped tapering the Lamictal when it was suggested that I taper the Zoloft first. I started my first taper at 45mg. I thought the itching,tingling,nausea,anxiety,jaw clenching,sound sensivity, muscles jumping & spasms were a reaction TO TAKING the Zoloft. I dropped to 1 & 1/2 tab today. I'm tired of thinking:(
  • Moderator Emeritus

"I think I'm just paranoid. I know calculating and recalculating is ridiculous!"

I think this is just normal (as in withdrawal normal - a phrase coined by Brassmonkey I think).  I'm taking a combination of tablet and capsules (currently 50 mg tablet + 5 mg & 2.5 mg capsules).  I always double check them before taking them.  Lucky I do, because there was one day I nearly took an extra capsule.  Maybe if you can tell yourself that it is okay to check at least once, maybe twice you might find that you aren't as stressed by it, which I think then causes the panic and makes you want to check again.

• 6 months later...