SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

tootired: Cymbalta fun

tootired

Hi, all. Signed up because I was reading some good, detailed advice on the forums by others who are trying to taper off Cymbalta/duloxetine (as I am) and thought I might want to ask questions at some point, and either way could do with somewhere to track progress and perhaps give something back in the way of tracking another experience of coming off this stuff.

I began Cymbalta 6 years ago for both pain and depression reduction related to a new diagnosis of autoimmune rheumatoid arthritis. I wanted to avoid going on stronger arthritis medications, so needed something else to take the edge off the pain, and Cymbalta filled that gap. 60mg has been my dose for that period.

Doubtless this medication was helpful when I needed it, and there have been times I've thought I'd maybe just stay on it forever, but recently I've come to suspect that this medication and not the arthritis might be behind my feelings of being exhausted all the time, my increasingly terrible attention span/ability to focus, and the cravings for alcohol that I'd never had a problem with previously.

I've tried to reduce Cymbalta a couple of times in the past by alternating between 60mg and 30mg tablets (my doctor's suggestion), but when I tried to take it down to 30mg/everyday I couldn't maintain it there. Physical pain was too bad, and I caved and went back up to the full dose on both occasions.

I'm feeling willing now to have a stab at tapering off more slowly if that is going to work better. I've recently gone on the stronger arthritis medication, so swapping one for the other is my plan. Fun, fun!

My present box of the stuff is a generic capsule (the box says Coperin though) with the mini-tablets inside. Each 60mg capsule contains 12 mini-tablets (so 5mg each) and advice on here says to cut back 10% at a time, so tonight I'll be removing ONE mini-tablet. I haven't decided yet how long I need to take this new dose for. I was thinking 2 weeks, maybe 3?

These mini-tablets look like they're going to make it easy for me to taper down to about 40mg by cutting back 1 mini-tablet with each dose reduction. (All of these doses will be close to 10% of the previous dose.)  From there I guess I'm going to be switching to the branded version and counting little beads. I've peeked inside those capsules before and it was pretty nightmarish (I actually *mushed* one of the beads accidentally when trying to count them!) so I'm really glad of the mini-tablets being sufficient for the next little while!

* Mid-2009: Began Cymbalta @ 60mg. Have tried on a couple of occasions to alternate 60mg/30mg daily in an attempt to reduce it, but gave up due to physical pain and returned to 60mg.

* Mar 1, 2016: Began alternating 60mg/30mg daily. Mostly OK, but a difficult day on Mar 24 (anxiety, situational) that quickly resolved with an extra 30mg dose suggested this approach might be knocking me around a bit.

* Mar 25, 2016: The beginning of a slower approach. Tapering down to 55mg (~10%) by removing one 5mg mini-tablet from my generic (Coperin) capsule, then to 54mg after a couple of weeks when the Coperin ran out which meant going back to branded Cymbalta and bead-counting.

* Apr 9-10, 2016: Return of that insistent stabby right-shoulder pain that sometimes comes on when I try and remove Cymbalta or haven't had enough fish oil. Arthritis pain in other places (fingers in particular) at night also. Eventually resolved and felt quite fine and stable for a full two weeks prior to next taper date.

* Apr 25, 2016: Tapered Cymbalta to 48.6mg. May 25, 2016: Tapered Cymbalta to 43.7mg.

* Jun 8-10, 2016: Arthritis/nerve pain, night sweats, emo & freakin' out. Fairly well settled down again by Jun 22.

* Jun 20: Started short course of Temazepam 20mg/night to help fix whacked-out body clock. Sleeping like a baby, feel more awake in the daytime than I have in years.

* Jul 25, 2016: Cymbalta tapered to 39mg. Temazepam finished.

* Sep 11, 2016: Cymbalta tapered to 35mg.

Correction: Looks like I'm doing the first couple of dose reductions at a month each.

* Mid-2009: Began Cymbalta @ 60mg. Have tried on a couple of occasions to alternate 60mg/30mg daily in an attempt to reduce it, but gave up due to physical pain and returned to 60mg.

* Mar 1, 2016: Began alternating 60mg/30mg daily. Mostly OK, but a difficult day on Mar 24 (anxiety, situational) that quickly resolved with an extra 30mg dose suggested this approach might be knocking me around a bit.

* Mar 25, 2016: The beginning of a slower approach. Tapering down to 55mg (~10%) by removing one 5mg mini-tablet from my generic (Coperin) capsule, then to 54mg after a couple of weeks when the Coperin ran out which meant going back to branded Cymbalta and bead-counting.

* Apr 9-10, 2016: Return of that insistent stabby right-shoulder pain that sometimes comes on when I try and remove Cymbalta or haven't had enough fish oil. Arthritis pain in other places (fingers in particular) at night also. Eventually resolved and felt quite fine and stable for a full two weeks prior to next taper date.

* Apr 25, 2016: Tapered Cymbalta to 48.6mg. May 25, 2016: Tapered Cymbalta to 43.7mg.

* Jun 8-10, 2016: Arthritis/nerve pain, night sweats, emo & freakin' out. Fairly well settled down again by Jun 22.

* Jun 20: Started short course of Temazepam 20mg/night to help fix whacked-out body clock. Sleeping like a baby, feel more awake in the daytime than I have in years.

Welcome to SA,

It looks like you have had a good read through the forum, that's great!! The site recommends 10% cuts, some even do micro tapers, once you make a cut you want to hold 4-6 weeks before making another, gives your brain time to adjust. Keep reading there is tons of amazing information that will help you along, a mod will be by soon to give you advice and help. I wanted to drop in and say hello, take care and good luck with your taper, remember slow and steady!! Ali

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome tootired,

I'm glad you joined, this is a great community for help and support with safely coming off psyche drugs. As Ali4 noted, it sounds like you have found your way to our tapering sections and know what you're doing. If you have any questions, just ask them here in your thread.

If you taper slowly enough, paying attention to any symptoms, slowing down accordingly, then I'm sure you will have more success reducing and coming off cymbalta this time.

Please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks guys. Looking forward to ditching this stuff, however slowly it needs to be done. Thanks for the welcomes!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi tootired ,    just wanted to say "G'day mate"'

Pop in to the Australia room to say hi (in the Relationships section). There's quite a few members from Brissy , and some Australian stuff going on that may interest you.

Welcome aboard ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh, will assuredly pop over there at some point when I'm not as busy ingesting knowledge about the process of tapering off this thing. Thanks for the welcome! :)

Hi, all. Signed up because I was reading some good, detailed advice on the forums by others who are trying to taper off Cymbalta/duloxetine (as I am) and thought I might want to ask questions at some point, and either way could do with somewhere to track progress and perhaps give something back in the way of tracking another experience of coming off this stuff.

I began Cymbalta 6 years ago for both pain and depression reduction related to a new diagnosis of autoimmune rheumatoid arthritis. I wanted to avoid going on stronger arthritis medications, so needed something else to take the edge off the pain, and Cymbalta filled that gap. 60mg has been my dose for that period.

Doubtless this medication was helpful when I needed it, and there have been times I've thought I'd maybe just stay on it forever, but recently I've come to suspect that this medication and not the arthritis might be behind my feelings of being exhausted all the time, my increasingly terrible attention span/ability to focus, and the cravings for alcohol that I'd never had a problem with previously.

I've tried to reduce Cymbalta a couple of times in the past by alternating between 60mg and 30mg tablets (my doctor's suggestion), but when I tried to take it down to 30mg/everyday I couldn't maintain it there. Physical pain was too bad, and I caved and went back up to the full dose on both occasions.

I'm feeling willing now to have a stab at tapering off more slowly if that is going to work better. I've recently gone on the stronger arthritis medication, so swapping one for the other is my plan. Fun, fun!

My present box of the stuff is a generic capsule (the box says Coperin though) with the mini-tablets inside. Each 60mg capsule contains 12 mini-tablets (so 5mg each) and advice on here says to cut back 10% at a time, so tonight I'll be removing ONE mini-tablet. I haven't decided yet how long I need to take this new dose for. I was thinking 2 weeks, maybe 3?

These mini-tablets look like they're going to make it easy for me to taper down to about 40mg by cutting back 1 mini-tablet with each dose reduction. (All of these doses will be close to 10% of the previous dose.)  From there I guess I'm going to be switching to the branded version and counting little beads. I've peeked inside those capsules before and it was pretty nightmarish (I actually *mushed* one of the beads accidentally when trying to count them!) so I'm really glad of the mini-tablets being sufficient for the next little while!

Hi there, tootired - I hear you. 

I will have to open one of the capsules and have a look, fingers crossed I have minis in there as well. 

All the best to you! I will stop by again

ingrid

Getting off Amitriptyline 25 mg, on 12.5 mg now. 50 mg to 25 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg, currently 30 mg/day for 15 days. Decided to cut open remaining 60 mg capsules and take the little tablets inside. 6 = 30 mg. If need be, I can up the dosage, but aside from a bit of toe pain I am ok.UPDATE: >>>>> Amitriptyline 25 mg 1992- ??? ----- 50 mg until March 21, 2016. 2016 - then 25 mg <<<<<went to 20 mg of Amitriptyline, and down 5 tiny tabs of Cymbalta. (less than 30 mg now. cut Klonopin to 1/4 mg now. Trazadone 50 mg 4/14/16Variety of ADs, Buspar, Effexor, Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin (to quit smoking. Success!) Cymbalta, Klonopin from '95 to present.Norco (Vicodin or Hydrocodone) '92 to 2014 - cold turkey - minor issuesHad 1 day with withdrawal symptoms - dealing mostly with Side Effects. April 7, 2016: now taking Ami 12.5 and Cymbalta 30 mg. (in bead form) still 1/2 mg Klonopin. Melatonin 10 mg (have been for years). 1 Trazadone 50 mg for sleep. Amino Acids, Omega 3,6 and 9 w/DHA. Turmeric and Ibuprofen for pain,Tramadol, 50 mg, as needed (PRN) - take maybe 1 per day for Fibro pain. Had one day of very swollen calves and ankles, one day of lumps on calves, all better. Today the toes, lasted 2 hrs, now gone. Important to note I am getting off these drugs BECAUSE of multiple side effects. BM much better, I have an appetite and crave healthy foods again. More energy, but not nervous. Sleeping great, much easier to rise, ok with 7 hrs/sleep, used to need 9 or 10.No burning toes 2nd day. Doing well so far. 4/14/16. legs, ankles still an issue, but less so. <p>
4/21/16.>>>> went to 4 tablets Cymbalta and 15 mg Ami and cut Klonpin to 1/8.
UPDATE: 5/5/16 - 15 mg Amitriptyline, 3 tablet Cymbalta (there are 12 in a 60 mg capsule,) very little Klonopin, 50 mg Trazadone, 10 mg Melatonin, Inositol and Ashwagandha. Tramadol PRN.
---- feeling great - no addl. symptoms , only 3 times something like you all list here. leg/ankle swelling still an issue, but not so much-----

6/5/2016 - All done, except for Trazadone. 50mg/nt is all. It is next, in a couple of months. No more Tramadol either - that was unintentionally, but hey, I am not complaining. I am using Kratom once or twice daily.

6/13/2016 - 25 mg of trazadone. 
Doctor is happy for me how well this is all going. :) Almost done with it all!!

Hi Ingrid, nice to meet you! I also hope you found mini tablets! I'm out of those ones now and the chemist they came from tells me that's not their favored supplier and they don't have them any more, so I'm back to the brand-name Cymbalta. I just counted out my first capsule (280 beads in total). Amusing in a sort of tortured, ridiculous way, but I imagine doing this every day will get old really quickly lol! I've got a set of scales coming in the mail, so hopefully that'll arrive soon.

At least my taper's going fine so far. I've had to be disciplined with my thoughts on a few occasions when something anxiety-provoking happens along else I get quite affected, but it's been getting easier. Guess I'm 10 days in.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey TooTired - I sent you a private message about our Brisbane meet-up.  I hope you can make it.

It sounds like you are on top of the tapering thing - but I would like to add that it is important to get support while you are tapering.  This can come in the form of therapists, yoga classes, meditation, mindfulness, CBT, acupuncture, friends and family, and, of course, your buddies here at SA!

The first thing I think you should educate yourself on is the benefits of Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil

Also, it's hugely beneficial to prepare for what you might experience as you taper.  I've found that these cartoons are really helpful:

Withdrawal Dialogues - cartoons to encourage you

And our own Rhiannon has written some lovely posts about listening to your body and tapering from a place of health and well being (instead of to a schedule):

Rhi's description of healing the brain

and

Rhis's Start Small Listen to Body Taper Plan

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thanks Jan, am all over it: loads of fish oil, magnesium, theanine... and dark chocolate, hehe! :) Will take a look at those posts and see about the Brisbane meetup. Thanks for all the shares!

Hi  TT.    Welcome.  Jan has given you all the pertinent links.  I'm a Brisbane girl , too . It would be lovely to see you at the meet-up .  :)

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi Ingrid, nice to meet you! I also hope you found mini tablets! I'm out of those ones now and the chemist they came from tells me that's not their favored supplier and they don't have them any more, so I'm back to the brand-name Cymbalta. I just counted out my first capsule (280 beads in total). Amusing in a sort of tortured, ridiculous way, but I imagine doing this every day will get old really quickly lol! I've got a set of scales coming in the mail, so hopefully that'll arrive soon.

At least my taper's going fine so far. I've had to be disciplined with my thoughts on a few occasions when something anxiety-provoking happens along else I get quite affected, but it's been getting easier. Guess I'm 10 days in.

Hi tootired,

Yes, i found the Mother Lode - 12 little tablet per 1 capsule, I'll take them to work and will cut them open and then i can count 6 tablets per night. Reading about chopping, counting, weighing etc made me chuckle a bit (been reading a few posts) - but we do what we must, right?

I am now on day 18. Also getting off Amitriptyline. Let's do this together, want to? <3

Getting off Amitriptyline 25 mg, on 12.5 mg now. 50 mg to 25 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg, currently 30 mg/day for 15 days. Decided to cut open remaining 60 mg capsules and take the little tablets inside. 6 = 30 mg. If need be, I can up the dosage, but aside from a bit of toe pain I am ok.UPDATE: >>>>> Amitriptyline 25 mg 1992- ??? ----- 50 mg until March 21, 2016. 2016 - then 25 mg <<<<<went to 20 mg of Amitriptyline, and down 5 tiny tabs of Cymbalta. (less than 30 mg now. cut Klonopin to 1/4 mg now. Trazadone 50 mg 4/14/16Variety of ADs, Buspar, Effexor, Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin (to quit smoking. Success!) Cymbalta, Klonopin from '95 to present.Norco (Vicodin or Hydrocodone) '92 to 2014 - cold turkey - minor issuesHad 1 day with withdrawal symptoms - dealing mostly with Side Effects. April 7, 2016: now taking Ami 12.5 and Cymbalta 30 mg. (in bead form) still 1/2 mg Klonopin. Melatonin 10 mg (have been for years). 1 Trazadone 50 mg for sleep. Amino Acids, Omega 3,6 and 9 w/DHA. Turmeric and Ibuprofen for pain,Tramadol, 50 mg, as needed (PRN) - take maybe 1 per day for Fibro pain. Had one day of very swollen calves and ankles, one day of lumps on calves, all better. Today the toes, lasted 2 hrs, now gone. Important to note I am getting off these drugs BECAUSE of multiple side effects. BM much better, I have an appetite and crave healthy foods again. More energy, but not nervous. Sleeping great, much easier to rise, ok with 7 hrs/sleep, used to need 9 or 10.No burning toes 2nd day. Doing well so far. 4/14/16. legs, ankles still an issue, but less so. <p>
UPDATE: 5/5/16 - 15 mg Amitriptyline, 3 tablet Cymbalta (there are 12 in a 60 mg capsule,) very little Klonopin, 50 mg Trazadone, 10 mg Melatonin, Inositol and Ashwagandha. Tramadol PRN.
---- feeling great - no addl. symptoms , only 3 times something like you all list here. leg/ankle swelling still an issue, but not so much-----

6/5/2016 - All done, except for Trazadone. 50mg/nt is all. It is next, in a couple of months. No more Tramadol either - that was unintentionally, but hey, I am not complaining. I am using Kratom once or twice daily.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've heard about you bead counter types!  

You might check out the Effexor thread:  Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

They have to count beads too.

I seem to remember stories of:  counting the contents of 5-10 beads to get an "average number of beads per capsule."

Consider getting empty gel-caps (from your health food store - or cheaper from iHerb) to hold your extra beads.

Some use black paper or black cloth to count the beads.

I am not a bead counting expert - but there are bead counters here at SA who will have a number of tips for getting accurate dosing.

So - how are you going after your first taper?  Any symptoms?

What else do you do to manage pain?  I just started a Dr. Lam "Tai Chi for Arthritis."  My class is through University of 3rd Age (U3A) but there are Dr. Lam practitioners teaching all over Australia.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

I've heard about you bead counter types!  

You might check out the Effexor thread:  Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

They have to count beads too.

I seem to remember stories of:  counting the contents of 5-10 beads to get an "average number of beads per capsule."

Consider getting empty gel-caps (from your health food store - or cheaper from iHerb) to hold your extra beads.

Some use black paper or black cloth to count the beads.

I am not a bead counting expert - but there are bead counters here at SA who will have a number of tips for getting accurate dosing.

So - how are you going after your first taper?  Any symptoms?

What else do you do to manage pain?  I just started a Dr. Lam "Tai Chi for Arthritis."  My class is through University of 3rd Age (U3A) but there are Dr. Lam practitioners teaching all over Australia.

Hi JanCarol,

Hahaha - I am fortunate that I have generic ones, only 12 per 60 mg capsule. Phew!

I can't do much physically, as the Fibromyalgia rendered me stiff, and the meds - fat. But I am a lot more active now - and slowly getting more flexible. I am only on day 19 today - only using Ibuprofen and the occasional Tramadol for pain. The rest I tune out lol

Last night I had a burning foot/toes - it settled down now.

I am mostly experiencing side effects, which is why I am here getting of these devilish things! - So it is not easy to differentiate between what is what.

I saw a thread last night where folks experienced a lot of apathy to the 10th degree, no eating, no showers, no care for anything - just show up and wait to go to bed again - that was me BEFORE I started withdrawal. It is why I am stopping - 

I wanted to do it fast, per my doctor, but I reconsidered and decided to follow the sage advice of the members here instead.

I will take the Ami until I am out - 12.5 mg/night. that is another 3 weeks or so, at least. But I have plenty Cym to go for a while - in fact, I have a refill I will call in.

I could call in the Ami as well, and I might - 

Still exploring and learning. Thanks for writing! :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Tramadol has SNRI action.  In fact, doctors call it an "opiate," but it is a very weak opiate - but a stronger SNRI.

I would recommend that you minimize its use, or you may end up in another taper.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11542-tips-for-tapering-tramadol/

Track your symptoms to find out if they are better or worse using Tramadol.  Please put it in your signature, as well, so that mods know that this drug is in your mix.

Additionally, if you put it in the http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html I think you will find that the Tramadol has major interactions with the Effexor and Amitryptaline.

My own doctor gave me Tramadol for headaches.  I thought I'd try it.  OMG, that is one weird drug.  The SNRI part is supposed to make you not care about the pain, and the opiate is too weak to be addicting (but the SSRI part can be addicting).  They give it because they are so worried about giving out opiates for pain anymore.

With the fibro - I wonder if you have had your thyroid checked.  I mean really checked, not just a TSH done.  http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/  I'm getting ready to go to a Dr. Kevin Lee, endocrinologist to see if I can get better Thyroid work done.  I'll let you know if he's any good.

Otherwise, you might try Dr. Robyn James, who is an orthomolecular gynecologist, and has run pretty thorough lab assays on me.  She's also cheaper than the other orthomolecular practitioners in town, because she keeps her overhead low, and wants to allow herself access to all women, not just the rich ones.  Some women even barter in with reception and office work.  She is in Brighton.

Tramadol has SNRI action.  In fact, doctors call it an "opiate," but it is a very weak opiate - but a stronger SNRI.

I would recommend that you minimize its use, or you may end up in another taper.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11542-tips-for-tapering-tramadol/

Track your symptoms to find out if they are better or worse using Tramadol.  Please put it in your signature, as well, so that mods know that this drug is in your mix.

Additionally, if you put it in the http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html I think you will find that the Tramadol has major interactions with the Effexor and Amitryptaline.

My own doctor gave me Tramadol for headaches.  I thought I'd try it.  OMG, that is one weird drug.  The SNRI part is supposed to make you not care about the pain, and the opiate is too weak to be addicting (but the SSRI part can be addicting).  They give it because they are so worried about giving out opiates for pain anymore.

With the fibro - I wonder if you have had your thyroid checked.  I mean really checked, not just a TSH done.  http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork/  I'm getting ready to go to a Dr. Kevin Lee, endocrinologist to see if I can get better Thyroid work done.  I'll let you know if he's any good.

Otherwise, you might try Dr. Robyn James, who is an orthomolecular gynecologist, and has run pretty thorough lab assays on me.  She's also cheaper than the other orthomolecular practitioners in town, because she keeps her overhead low, and wants to allow herself access to all women, not just the rich ones.  Some women even barter in with reception and office work.  She is in Brighton.

Hi there - I fought Tramadol tooth and nail - but they insist. I did look up the interactions and showed them to my doctor, he had no idea - 

He does know now that I am well researched and won't take anyone's word at face value. lol

I only take one 50 mg PRN, seriously, only as needed. And i know it is somewhat of an opiate, because I can feel that effect. But not the energy, in fact, it makes me sleepy ;)

In fact - I did a comparison and found that Hydrocodone (I do not like Oxy) is less troublesome as far as interactions go. Or side effects. 

So I teased him and said you guys are afraid of the law, aren't you - he laughed and said no. Well, I suppose I need to be his patient for a while before i can convince him I am NOT a opiate shopper. gah!

Jan - I live in Oregon - where is this doctor you recommend?

We had plenty of sunshine - in fact, it was almost 90 F the last 2 days, way too early for April - and not appreciated by yours truly ;)

I sweat a lot, am dizzy and can't function in the heat - it is one of the few things I truly "hate." Plus it burns up this beautiful state every year - :(

Well, I best get my work done - will add Tramadol to signature - Thanks much!!!

Happy Autumn! hahaha

xoxo 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey TooTired - I have sent you a private message about the Brisbane gathering.  If you look at the very very top of the page, you will see an envelope - it will tell you that you have messages.

Click on it, and see what it's all about!

JC

• Moderator Emeritus

Ingrid - TooTired and I live in the same town in Australia....

I'll post something on your thread about functional and orthomolecular doctors. I'll see what I can find for you.

This is TooTired's thread - it is better for me to answer your questions on your thread.

Thanks guys, I appreciate that. Got lots on my mind and was getting a few email notifications there that didn't involve me!

To answer your question Jan (how's it going with the first taper) and to update the thread in general: I'm a bit volatile. Some moodiness and tendency towards getting a bit anxious, some needing to cry, some physical pain (feels like standard arthritis/inflammation pain, which given others' complaints of pain when tapering is always confusing for me when attempting to withdraw the Cymbalta: is the pain temporary withdrawal pain, or is it genuine arthritis pain returning because it was Cymbalta that was keeping it under control? etc).

I did get your message about the meetup; I'm just not sure I'm up to it, in all honesty. Feel, perhaps, like I can keep more control over this process just keeping it in a browser tab for now. I'll let you know if it changes. Thanks again for the invite though.

Don't know if it's that I slept well last night (thanks, double dose of Valerian!) or if it's things evening out in my brain, but today I feel quite excellent. Relaxed and with-it. No pain, no anxiety. This is very welcome!

And first of all, maaan, that was the most disgusting "mouth feel" ever. Felt like a mouthful of crawling spiders.

But, to the point: will the dose still be effective?

I understand duloxetine is destroyed by stomach acid and that's why it has an enteric coating. But is the enteric coating on the capsule, or on the beads themselves? Can they survive my stomach without the capsule around them, or should I take another dose? I'm tapering and don't know whether it's worse to skip a day (sounds potentially horrendous) or risk taking a double dose today (will this set me back?).

Thanks, you smart people!

• Moderator Emeritus

The beads are coated to make them slow release so you will be fine.   :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Yeah? Okay! Phew! Awesome, thanks!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

My posts beginning three above this read weirdly after being moved here by an admin because the first sentence when posted elsewhere was in the subject line. It began something like "A capsule came apart in my mouth, spilling beads, which I swallowed."

Wouldn't recommend it for the record.

(It did work out just fine though. My body didn't register anything different in terms of dosage whatsoever.)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi tootired , it's been 3 weeks since you've been back on a regular daily dose.

Are you feeling that things are evening out at all?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Definitely things have evened out. I've felt quite fine the last couple of weeks, so it's been hard this last week to make myself wait till the month is up to lower the dose again!

I will be sticking it out the full month though. Came over a bit hormonal the last few days, so I'm in no hurry to rock the boat more before that clears haha.

This morning I weighed out the next week's worth of capsules which included the first few of the next taper-down, so that's nice. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Here is the Tai Chi program I am doing - it's recommended by Australian Arthritis whatsis:

There are 168 instructors in Queensland:

http://taichiforhealthinstitute.org/instructors/?region=QLD&cityOrSub=&fn=Find&country_id=13&region=QLD&cityOrSub=&fn=Find

Maybe there is one convenient to you!

Or you could just get the DVD's!  I found one on ebay for $20!

• 2 weeks later...

Been having some jaw clickiness the last few days. If my physical symptoms were purely attributable to my (inflammatory) arthritis, as they have been in the past, I'd immediately attempt to solve this with more fish oil: it's that kind of clickiness. Am trying frequently to consciously relax my jaw, and think it's maybe a bit clenchy (a not unusual withdrawal symptom for Cymbalta in my experience) but I don't know what came first, the clenching or the clickiness/tension.

Stupid bloody changes.... I'm just hoping this passes ASAP and that recording the occurrence is just a formality that will fade quickly into history!

Looks like around the 12th last month was when the WD symptoms cleared up for me, so here's hoping.

(What I'm really worried about is it could be arthritis symptoms coming back without the Cymbalta numbing them away.)

• 5 weeks later...

Heaps of pain the last few days. Everywhere. Waking up having soaked the sheets in sweat. Difficulty reining in anxiety when I start to feel it, so I'm *hoping* this all might be related to withdrawal and will pass in time, but I fear more than that that it's just arthritis pain returning after the withdrawal of Cymbalta which blocks nerve pain. Maybe I've hit the limit of what I can taper to. I'm at 43.7mg.

I have rheumatologist visit in a couple of weeks so am going to try and hold out until that when I can discuss if there are any alternatives I view as viable, but pain like this really makes me anxious and upset, amongst other feelings. Fear of loss of livelihood and disablement and dreams etc, real fears, not just chemicals, though if there's chemicals brewing it's only going to make it a more toxic brew. Cymbalta might be the best option for me in the end.

• Moderator Emeritus

Remember you don't need to be in pain. You can bump up your dose by a few beads to see that helps the pain or even go back to 48.6 mg, your dose before the last cut.

There are dietary aggravators of arthritic inflammation. An example: My mother cut way back on nightshades -- tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, tobacco -- when the osteoarthritis pain in her knee began to get worse.  Some people get noticeable relief after cutting back on grains, especially those with gluten -- wheat, rye, and barley. Looking at osteoarthritis as an auto-immune disorder and reducing the load on the immune system might provide some ideas for next steps.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks scallywag for the thoughts. I'll try and sit it out a bit longer, unless it's suggested it's unlikely to get better. I'm not sure there's a protocol when there are additional conditions causing pain to take into account. It makes it a bit hard to know what to do. I guess I was hoping the pain might settle down given a little time, but yeah, bumping back up as you say is certainly an option.

Unfortunately I've tried all the alternative diets I could get my hands on when my arthritis (rheumatoid) first began. I had no luck with any of them, eventually gave up after some years of putting myself through . Thank you for the thought though. It's a shame I don't respond.

Less pain yesterday; the remaining is largely in the jaw, and still notably bad. Whopping great headache this PM, possibly related to jaw pain? Better than it was a few days ago at least.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've had jaw pain issues in w/d too - apparently it's not uncommon.  I found that doing specific jaw relaxation exercises (look on you-tube) was very helpful in reducing that pain.  You can also look up TMJ for more info on how to manage it, and here's SAs discussion of it:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7292-face-jaw-tongue-muscle-tension-and-pain/

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 1 month later...

Pretty bad few days last week. Felt physically pretty knackered so just stayed in bed with the laptop for a few days (joys of unemployment), then a few days of feeling really bad about myself, one just not even wanting to be seen by anyone (I went out anyway, had stuff to do, just was noticing it and how morbidly low I felt). Has passed now, and all systems go for the last two days. The reprieve--from anxiety too--is very welcome. Not something I'd experienced on this journey before, so just noting it.

I didn't taper at all last 25th-of-the-month (my 'usual' taper date) so I'm chugging along for 6 weeks now at the same dose, 39mg. Have some pains and things that I don't want to press any further, so I'm not changing it again till I feel stable. Body definitely says no!

PS: The jaw pains I mentioned last update haven't been bothering me greatly: certainly no headaches from it lately. Thanks KarenB for the suggestions which I didn't take but will try to remember next time it happens!