SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Nyx: Want to come off Mirtazapine.

Ok so I've been on Mirtazapine for almost two months. I had some side effects the first week but then it was fine. The past 3 weeks however I have been having a huge host of side effects, some of which are debilitating like really bad vertigo, extreme disorientation, derealization, depersonalization, short term memory loss and completely blanking out for periods of time  (I only know this because I'll look at the time and continue doing something then all of a sudden I'll get this weird feeling like I just awoke from a sleepless dream. I'll look at the time and like an hour or so will have passed) and diminished sense of time (i.e minutes feels like hours or hours only feels like a few minutes. Today 10 hours passed by in the blink of the eye and I can barely remember the day). Some days are better than others but some are really bad. I've missed two weeks of work (I've tried going back multiple times but couldn't get through even 10 minutes. Movement and bright lights makes the vertigo worse) The worst of it has been the past 5 days non-stop. I've been to the ER three times and to the doctors (including a second doctor) and they all chalk it up to 'panic attacks' or simply say "I don't know" yet not one of them has recommended stopping Mirtazapine... (Scratching my head at this) I literally feel like I'm stoned out of my mind. The only other time I have felt even remotely like this was when I tried a pot brownie (bad idea). My vision had diminished severely and I feel like I have nerve damage. I have almost no sense of taste or touch. Pain tolerance is way higher. But they refuse to believe it's not mental so I've decided I have to come off Mirtazapine as I don't know what else could be causing this.  

So I've read all of the guides and I'm sorry... it's probably my decreased mental states (I'm having serious trouble retaining information) but I'm totally confused as to how to do it. I'm on 15mg quick dissolve tabs. Thanks. 

Started Mirtazapine at 15mg Feb 2016

Increased to 30mg after two weeks. 

Decreased back to 15mg after one week. First experienced withdrawals March 14th. Vertigo, panic attacks, derealization, depersonalization. Lasted about a month with each week alternating between being fine and horrible.

Decreasing by 5-10%  since April 6th

June-July 10 ml

Missed almost a week end of July. No withdrawals. Took 10ml and experienced side effects. Went back off for a few days.

Experienced dizziness and headaches so reinstated at 1ml July 31st. 

..Moved my post..

April / 2016: Cipralex 10 mg, Mirtazapine 30 mg, Lyrica 600 mg, Diazepam 20 mg, Bystolic 5 mg

2018: Lots of polypharmacy which is undocumented here. Started and stopped several drugs and changed doses of existing ones

August / 2018: Back on track! Cipralex 15 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg, Diazepam 15 mg

September 2018: Cipralex 15 mg -> 12.5 mg

October 2018: Cipralex 12.5 mg -> 10 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg -> 3.75 mg -> Stopped, Diazepam 15 mg

November 2019: Cipralex 5 mg, Diazepam 10 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nyx, I moved your post from tapering to Intro because you are new to the site and this is about your situation.  Please post new questions or information about your situation here on your Intro thread.  By clicking "Follow this topic" above, you will be notified of any responses.  You can use your thread to document your journey and keep us updated.

Please fill out your signature block with your drug history, including dates, to the best of your knowledge, of your attempts to come off, when you reinstated, dosages, etc.  Include all medications, as it will help everyone get a sense of your situation at a glance.  Instructions for doing so are here:

Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature

It sounds like you are having an adverse reaction to mirtazapine.  What dosage are you on?  Were you started at a lower dose and then moved up?  You may be having extreme side effects due to being on too high a dose.  If you could let us know what the pacing was of going on two months ago, at what dosage, and when any increases were made, that will help the moderators determine what your next best course of action would be.

I'm glad you came to SA!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

This is my post from your other thread:

Interesting. I had DP/DR before I started mirtazapine, but I think it has been made worse by it. I have found a surprising number of people report this adverse effect. It can really send you for a loop mentally. 

I have nerve problems from mirtazapine as well. I have had episodes of burning mouth syndrome and sudden sensiorineural hearing loss which I attribute to the drug.

The standard advice here on how to taper is to stabilize and then reduce your dosage by 10% a month.

The good news is that you've only been taking mirtazapine for 2 months. That is long enough to create serious problems when trying to withdraw, but hopefully not long enough to leave you debilitated upon doing so. Hopefully.

My experience with the drug has been that withdrawal syndrome increases exponentially as the dose decreases. Reasons why this might be so are outlined in the "Tips for tapering off Remeron" thread.

Since you are in so much distress, you might try a slightly faster taper until you reach 7.5 mg, at which point you can slow down. I wouldn't recommend cutting straight from 15 mg to 7.5 mg.

April / 2016: Cipralex 10 mg, Mirtazapine 30 mg, Lyrica 600 mg, Diazepam 20 mg, Bystolic 5 mg

2018: Lots of polypharmacy which is undocumented here. Started and stopped several drugs and changed doses of existing ones

August / 2018: Back on track! Cipralex 15 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg, Diazepam 15 mg

September 2018: Cipralex 15 mg -> 12.5 mg

October 2018: Cipralex 12.5 mg -> 10 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg -> 3.75 mg -> Stopped, Diazepam 15 mg

November 2019: Cipralex 5 mg, Diazepam 10 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, I just saw the end of your post where you said you are on 15 mg SolTabs.

I will put it to the  mods as to whether you should try a faster taper given the severity of your symptoms.  Generally, SA recommends a 10% taper, where you would reduce by 10% of your previous month's dosage every four weeks, only cutting if you are stable, without symptoms.  Information about that is here:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

I am making a liquid out of the SolTabs and it is very easy to do, but you will need to get some supplies to help you with that, such as a way to measure 15 ml, a screw top container to do your mixing in, and a couple of different sizes of oral syringe, such as 10, 3 ml and 1 ml.  Even though the SolTabs dissolve easily, the solids will still settle, so you must mix vigorous right before dosing.  In my case, I am taking 13.5 ml, so I make a 1 mg/ml solution with a 15 mg tablet brought to 15 ml volume.  My tablet displaces 0.5 ml so for a 1 mg/ml final concentration you'd need to take that into account.  I then mix, and draw off 1.5 ml, drinking the rest.  I add rinse water to the container a few times and drink it, too, so that I get all the dosage.

Here is more information about make a liquid:

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

And tapering mirtazapine..

Tips for tapering mirtazapine

That should get you started.  I'll check with the other mods about your situation.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nyx , welcome to the site.

As Sqirrellygirl suggested , you're having symptoms of toxicity because the dose is too high for you.

After taking it for more than one month (approx.) you're at risk of withdrawal syndrome if you stop

too quickly. How quickly you're able to taper off will depend on your response as you go.

To start tapering with tablets you will need a scale to weigh 13.5mg (first drop). Precision is

paramount

My suggestion would be to transfer to taking part of your dose in liquid for a few days , then do a 10%

decrease. If after 2 weeks you've tolerated the drop with no problem , you may wish to go faster than

the usual 10% per month. If a 10% drop causes lots of symptoms , you may choose to do smaller cuts as

you go.

It will really depend on how you respond.

Please click FOLLOW at the top right , and you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

Good to have you on board , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nyx, 

Our esteemed founder and senior Mod Altostrata wanted me to ask if you are taking any other meds?

If not, then her recommendation would be to reduce by 10% each week, using the liquid as I described above.  Luckily you are on the SolTabs so that makes it a whole lot easier to make your own liquid!

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

Just to clarify, this schedule was suggested due to the severe symptoms you are having, which appear to be pretty intolerable!

SG

• Administrator

Welcome, Nyx.

Just wanted to add -- please let us know how you're doing while you reduce. If you start getting withdrawal symptoms, you may want to taper more slowly.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the advice everyone. 

Well I saw my doctor yesterday and she told me to just take the rest of the pills I have and then just stop. I only have 4 pills. I told her I was worried about withdrawal issues and she said there was no way I'd get them... That they only happen for people who are on high doses for a long periods of time. I told her I've heard of people having withdrawals on low doses after a short period of time and she acted like I was crazy. Wouldn't prescribe more and said if I continue having issues it's obviously a mental health issue... Nevermind the fact that I never had these problems until AFTER I started Mirtazapine. Yeah I've had depression (most of my life) and mild anxiety but nothing like what I had been experiencing after going on this drug. I was mostly on it for my sleep issues. I think I need a new doctor. 

So my friend who has experience in coming off antidepressants told me to put the tabs in 1 litre of water and take 70ml and go down by 10ml each day. I've done that the past two days and I feel much better than before. I just hope it stays this way because I don't want to have to deal with the bs from doctors around here. I saw 5 different ones regarding the side effects I was having (btw my family doctor was away on vacation while this was all happening) and they were all total morons. It's like the second they find out you are on an antidepressant they don't want to hear a word from you. Two of them were downright rude and condescending. Interrupting me, rolling their eyes at me and even insisting that I must be on drugs. No offense to good doctors out there but that's just ridiculous. 

Decreased back to 15mg after one week. First experienced withdrawals March 14th. Vertigo, panic attacks, derealization, depersonalization. Lasted about a month with each week alternating between being fine and horrible.

June-July 10 ml

Missed almost a week end of July. No withdrawals. Took 10ml and experienced side effects. Went back off for a few days.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nyx,

Was that a psych you saw or a general doctor?  Unfortunately if you don't get a prescription and taper slowly you are most likely to end up suffering bad withdrawal symptoms.

Are you able to see another doctor who will be willing to prescribe?  The sooner you can be taking your regular dose the less destabilisation will be caused to your CNS.  Even if you have to see a doctor who is "insisting that I must be on drugs" would be okay.  You don't need to tell them you are tapering.  You just need to get that script.  These might help:

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Totally agree with you that you need a new doctor Nyx. In the meantime , you might consider presenting at a local

hospital and ask for a script / tablets to carry you over.

Please fill in your signature to make it easier for readers.

Instructions are here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Nyx,

Was that a psych you saw or a general doctor?  Unfortunately if you don't get a prescription and taper slowly you are most likely to end up suffering bad withdrawal symptoms.

Are you able to see another doctor who will be willing to prescribe?  The sooner you can be taking your regular dose the less destabilisation will be caused to your CNS.  Even if you have to see a doctor who is "insisting that I must be on drugs" would be okay.  You don't need to tell them you are tapering.  You just need to get that script.  These might help:

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Just a GP. Unfortunately there is no way for me to get a new prescription without my regular doctor knowing. All records of my prescriptions get sent to her. She gets mad if I go to other places or ignore what she says.  

June-July 10 ml

• Moderator Emeritus

Definitely seems like it's time to find a new doctor.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Nyx, please do this (get to an ER or doc) before you get any symptoms.

If you catch it now, you still have the tools and the wherewithal to lower yourself down from the cliff.

If you jump off the cliff (and it may take 3-5 months to land) - all bets are off, and you get what you land with.  Sometimes, the damage can take much more recovery time than you think - and a lot more recovery time than docs or pharmas are willing to admit.

Once you get thrown into withdrawal, it is more difficult to offer help, and then you are on the roller coaster ride - strapped into the seat, with no choice but to ride it out.

But if you get a script now, whether from hospital or a new doc - you can taper gently, and get off the drug with the fewest possible symptoms (harm reduction).  EVEN if you do this, you may still have difficulty - these drugs are tricky little beasts.  MAYBE you will be one of the lucky ones who can waltz off the drug with no withdrawal symptoms.  Maybe.  

It's your brain and your body - better to be safe than sorry.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

The er doctors won't prescribe anything without your regular doctor knowing unless you have something they can test for like a UTI or severe pain. Maybe things are run a bit differently in Australia but I'm in Canada. At least that's what it's like in my town. I've known people who have tried to get a prescription from the ER only to have them sent away to their regular doctor. I guess they don't want to be liable if they give you something you aren't supposed to have. There are a LOT of addicts in my town. I know she will just argue with me. She blatantly said if I have ANY issues it's not the drug, it's me. I argued with her but she insisted there is NO WAY I'll get withdrawals. She refuses to believe Mirtazapine is anything but the most mildest antidepressant ever and only people on high doses for a long time have issues coming off it. The pharmacist I usually talk to did tell me that he could give me new prescription for my bc pill without asking my doctor (so I don't have to keep going back in to get new prescriptions) so I'm going to see if he can do that for mirtazapine. If not (like if she said on my file that I stopped them and shouldn't be getting any more) then I'm pretty much stuck. Any other doctor I go to will get into trouble if they prescribe me something my doctor has ordered me not to have. I can try but no guarantees. If I do manage to get it I know she will say something. She is completely stuck in what she thinks. 

June-July 10 ml

• Moderator Emeritus

Nyx, I have a hard time believing that, even in Canada with the health care system, that you can't fire your doctor and get another one.  I would escalate this to the higher ups, make a complaint that you are not satisfied with your doctor and the relationship you have with her, that you don't feel she has your best interests at heart.  If you go into severe withdrawal right away I would go ahead to the emergency and state that you ran out of Remeron and this is now happening.  They would be stupid to try to attribute your symptoms to "something else" knowing that you ran out of the drug.

SG

• Administrator

Nyx, you might tell your doctor you need more time to go off the drug, and insist politely that she issue another prescription.

Telling (politely) rather than asking can be more effective.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Nyx, I have a hard time believing that, even in Canada with the health care system, that you can't fire your doctor and get another one.  I would escalate this to the higher ups, make a complaint that you are not satisfied with your doctor and the relationship you have with her, that you don't feel she has your best interests at heart.  If you go into severe withdrawal right away I would go ahead to the emergency and state that you ran out of Remeron and this is now happening.  They would be stupid to try to attribute your symptoms to "something else" knowing that you ran out of the drug.

SG

I'm going to one of the walk in clinics before work today to see what they can do.   

June-July 10 ml

• Moderator Emeritus

Good for you.  Hopefully Junglechicken will come on and help you out, because she lived in Canada.  I asked her about the health care system and your situation, and she said absolutely you can switch doctors.

SG

Where are you from?

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Good for you.  Hopefully Junglechicken will come on and help you out, because she lived in Canada.  I asked her about the health care system and your situation, and she said absolutely you can switch doctors.

SG

Yeah I've been thinking about doing it for a while. She's been my doctor for a long time (since I was about 13 or 14) so I guess it's just habit. And in a weird way I'm also kind of afraid of insulting her. Yeah I know it's silly. But her and I are always disagreeing lately. I mean I understand what's going on with me more than she does but she doesn't want to hear it. It's like if it's not a professional opinion she doesn't care. 

June-July 10 ml

Where are you from?

Vancouver Island.

June-July 10 ml

Oh okay if Toronto id send u to a doc. Did u get a prescription? FFnnnn doctors. So sick of their act. When it comes to meds and mental health they are out to lunch. Puppets of pharma. I hope you get to someone that can help

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, I understand being reluctant to part with a doctor you have such a long history with, but she doesn't have your back on this.  Unfortunately, she is acting like so many doctor's do, with a superiority complex.  Those don't like patients who research on the internet.  They like believing they're God-like and how dare you question them in any way. 

i'm sorry you are in this situation; it should have never gone down like that to begin with.

Good luck to you.  Hopefully you can get your meds and resume, and then do a SLOW taper off.

SG

Oh okay if Toronto id send u to a doc. Did u get a prescription? FFnnnn doctors. So sick of their act. When it comes to meds and mental health they are out to lunch. Puppets of pharma. I hope you get to someone that can help

Thanks anyway. Appreciate the thought. And agreed. I went a clinic today but the wait was going to be super long so I tried my luck at the pharmacy I usually go to. They said my doctor didn't renew my prescription so I lied and said she forgot to and she wasn't available for a few weeks. The pharmacist agreed to give me enough for a week. I did two tabs in 30 ml of water in a glass amber bottle. Taking 13.5ml for a week and seeing how that goes. I'll have to go back to the clinic. I honestly have no idea how much I've taken the last 2 days because my friend didn't give me an exact amount for his solution. Just said it was "under a dose" 

June-July 10 ml

Well, I understand being reluctant to part with a doctor you have such a long history with, but she doesn't have your back on this.  Unfortunately, she is acting like so many doctor's do, with a superiority complex.  Those don't like patients who research on the internet.  They like believing they're God-like and how dare you question them in any way. 

i'm sorry you are in this situation; it should have never gone down like that to begin with.

Good luck to you.  Hopefully you can get your meds and resume, and then do a SLOW taper off.

SG

Yeah I'm not the type of person to just trust someone's word no matter who they are. Especially when it comes to my health. 

Thanks. 

June-July 10 ml

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you aren't yet having any upset, correct?  Hopefully cutting on top of not having much the last couple of days won't throw you for a loop.  I think your friend had you put the four tablets in a liter of water and then take 70 ml?  That is WAY under 15 mg!  250 ml would be 15 mg (if your liter was truly a liter). How many days since your last full 15 mg?

Just FYI - don't mix up more than four days' worth of Mirt solution as it isn't stable. So, tomorrow you would take 13.5 ml and throw out the rest.  I'd have said to stay at 15 mg with switching to the liquid since some find the switch straight to llquid disruptive, like a cut in itself since it absorbs differently.  Some never notice.  General rule:  switch to same dose liquid and stay there for a couple of weeks before starting to taper again.  If you run into trouble, go back to 15 ml liquid and see if that  settles you, and if not, then back to the full tablet.  Then, once stable for a couple of weeks, do a cross over to the liquid gradually.  Hopefully it won't come to that.

Good luck!

SG

It sounds like you aren't yet having any upset, correct?  Hopefully cutting on top of not having much the last couple of days won't throw you for a loop.  I think your friend had you put the four tablets in a liter of water and then take 70 ml?  That is WAY under 15 mg!  250 ml would be 15 mg (if your liter was truly a liter). How many days since your last full 15 mg?

Just FYI - don't mix up more than four days' worth of Mirt solution as it isn't stable. So, tomorrow you would take 13.5 ml and throw out the rest.  I'd have said to stay at 15 mg with switching to the liquid since some find the switch straight to llquid disruptive, like a cut in itself since it absorbs differently.  Some never notice.  General rule:  switch to same dose liquid and stay there for a couple of weeks before starting to taper again.  If you run into trouble, go back to 15 ml liquid and see if that  settles you, and if not, then back to the full tablet.  Then, once stable for a couple of weeks, do a cross over to the liquid gradually.  Hopefully it won't come to that.

Good luck!

SG

I only took the solution my friend suggested for 2 days so hopefully it doesn't do any damage. I am doing pretty good right now. Knock on wood lol. I got side effects within 5 days of going from 30-15 mg so I think I react pretty fast. Thanks again.

June-July 10 ml

Hi Nyx,

I think Mort81 would also back me up on this, but you DO NOT have to feel obliged to stay with your current doctor.

Explain to her boss that it is not working out for you, and that you would like to be assigned another doctor, or go to a different health care centre.

Keep us posted.

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Well after being on whatever dose I was on for 2 days then 13.5 for two days (thought I don't know if the doses are totally correct because the syringe doesn't fit into the glass bottle I'm using. I used the tube attachment but water can get stuck in it and it's really hard to get the exact amount in the syringe) I got what I believe are withdrawal effects. A bit of the same as before (which I think was from going 15-30-15 in the course of a few weeks) but a tad more jittery feeling now. My whole body feels tingly and I feel more and more anxious. My attention span and memory is terrible. I'm having some trouble understanding what I'm reading because I'll mix up the words by accident. So I get confused easily. My vision is also very splotchy. 

But at least now that I know WHAT is causing these feelings I'm able to cope better. I can better ignore them and not worry about random illnesses and what not. I still get anxious though when I think about how I'm going to get more pills. I worry about running into trouble and then not being able to get them at all. I was feeling alright but then a conversation with my mom made my anxiety level skyrocket. Because I have no idea what the outcome will be the anxiety about it won't go away. I'm also having anxiety trying to calculate the decrease. But I guess even if I have to go cold turkey or if the doses aren't totally accurate and I experience withdrawal syndrome at least it will go away. It's not a permanent thing. 

June-July 10 ml

Might also be worthwhile to point out that these symptoms came about within half an hour to an hour after I drank coffee. I've had previous symptoms come about the same way, though not all the time. Caffeine is obviously one thing that exacerbates withdrawal for me. 

June-July 10 ml

• 5 weeks later...

Please update. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Please update. 

I decided to go a bit slower and do 5% for three weeks. Currently at 13.5 

I have noticed a weight gain of about 25 pounds. I was a bit underweight to begin with so I wouldn't really care HOWEVER pretty much all of that has gone to my belly which was previously totally flat. Now it's not. I'm active and don't overeat. I really want to get off this stuff asap. I know that isn't really possible but if I keep gaining weight I'm going to get seriously depressed. Some people may say it's no big deal to gain weight but well... My body is important to me. 

June-July 10 ml

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nyx, I think the best thing you can do now is go back to the doctor and tell her you would like to go back on mirtazepine because you are struggling. She will probably be chuffed that she is right and believe you need them for your depression but it does mean you will get your prescription. I had to do that and my gp didn't argue at all, just handed over the script.   She will know you are right when you go back and tell her you are off it and that you tapered slowly! 

I would hold the dose for a few weeks for your brain to adjust and settle down again before restarting the taper. I suspect that your doses haven't been very consistent too which causes instability of your nervous system.   When you get your prescription, read the topic on how to make a liquid so you can do it for yourself . It is good of your friend to help but you need to be in control yourself so you can be sure of what you are taking. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Nyx, 

I wasn't on mirt very long before starting to reduce, but nonetheless it caused me to gain some weight.  At first it didn't, and so I thought I was a lucky one, but eventually the weight came on even as I reduced from 37.5 mg.  However, I have lost a few pounds and am otherwise holding steady as I reduce and am currently at 12.5 mg.

I think if you just try to hang on a bit longer and be patient, things will begin to shift in the other direction.  I got very distressed about the gain, very angry about it etc, because I have a history of an eating disorder, so gaining was NOT a good thing for me, but since then I have found acceptance and know this is a temporary situation.  I think about every story I've read of people coming off mirt is that they lose the weight they gained while on it.  This is not permanent :-)

SG