Theviciouscycle - Prozac Withdrawal symptoms

Theviciouscycle

Hi, I am a 24-year-old boy.

First of all, I think I have to explain my signature (my story), specially regarding the withdrawal from Clomipramine since it was like cold turkey. It was a time that I really started wondering "when am going to get better once and for all?"

In February 2015, I had enough. When I looked back at my past that time, I realized that I was always the same or worse over the years (always depressed, unsuccessful at school, always feeling lethargic and without energy, sleeping 15+ hours or more per day and with suicidal thoughts everyday). So, I withdraw Clomopramine by myself on almost cold turkey, I could say. After 2/3 weeks, I was not taking any pill.
During the period I was removing it from my body, I was very enthusiastic and motivated about it. I actually felt better than before in all aspects of my life. But, after completely withdrawing from it, this only lasted nearly 2 weeks, and after that, I felt very bad again. However, I didn't want to take Clomipramine again, so my psychiatrist prescribed me Paroxetine (which it didn't improve anything at all too)

Now, the reason I am writing here is because of Prozac. I took it during 6 months since September. However, when I started taking it, also in September, I randomly went to a medical quantum medicine. I can say, that I was very impressed (and I still am) with the results I got. And the main thing I did was ‘only’ to change my eating habits (remove milk, wheat foods (remove gluten essentially) and sugars; start to eat more nuts, seeds and more fish) and I also took some supplements and did some detox. Each day it was passing, my concentration problems that I always had were not so strong and all my anxiety slowed down. It felt like that I didn't have OCD at all. I can say that it changed my whole life. I never had felt like this for years! I started not having as much consultations I used to have with her, because she said that I don't need them anymore. Also, since then, I am becoming more and more interested in a healthy diet and about being healthier overall (for instance meditation, hollistic points of view of our body, etc).
After all this, I asked myself: Was it Prozac? Well, I seriously doubt it.

The other day I had a consultation with my psychiatrist. After seeing me like this, so great after years and years of misery, he was completed astonished and without answer. He couldn't understand since I am a complete paradox for him. "How can you be so much better? What do you feel? What did you do?"
So he said that I was ready to remove Prozac. When I asked him about how to do the tapering, he simple said to take one day yes, and one day no in 2 weeks and, after that period, I could completely remove it. I asked him about doing it in a slower pace, but he said that the dose was too small (20 mg) so it was complete unnecessary. That I did not have to worry about the withdrawal symptoms. Pretty much like "You'll get over it" like I read here (he only said "You'll feel a little more anxious"...)

Since March 17, I am not taking any pill and I have been completely on my own: no psychiatrist, no medical quantum doctor, no psychologist.
It's not like it is the end of the world, however, lately, I have been wondering if I am or not experiencing withdrawal symptoms since my psychiatrist complete ignored and devalued them... Therefore, I have been searching about this more and more, and yeah, the more I read, the more I sympathize with the stories that people tell. So here I am!  :D

Basically, what I have been feeling is:

- Confusion, inability to concentrate, disorientation, forgetfulness, lethargy, sluggish
- I don't know if this is a symptom or not, but my left knee fails me sometimes, this is, my knee bends forward. It feels like I don't have strength for a moment (could be something like Joint Stiffness?)
- Insomnia, poor sleep, some nightmares
- Palpitations
Libido Decreased

From these, what bothers me the most are the cognition side effects. Day by day, I can say that this is the beginning and that they will probably start to build up even more.
Since I am not taking anything at the moment, what are your suggestions? Just 'survive' till I get better or do you have any better solution? :wacko:

Thank very much in advance for attention and support.

P.S.: I'm sorry if was too brief in my story. If any information is still needed, please ask me to post it, I would really appreciate it (I just wanted to jump to today and to talk about I what I have been feeling). Also, I have to be honest with you that I still didn't read all the available information here. But when I said that I am feeling slow, can't focus and also forgetful, I mean it. Nevertheless, I am trying to read as much as I can.

At the age of 15 years old, I was diagnosed with OCD

2006: Prozac (I don't remember the dose)

2007-2010: Sertraline (250mg) + Fluvoxamine (200g) were the last doses

2010: Paroxetine (I don't remember the dose)

2010-2015: Clomipramine (150mg). During these years I had also taken Risperidone and Ritalin ("for testing purposes")

Feb 2015: I've stopped Clomipramine on my own. In only 2/3 weeks, I removed it all

(Next weeks, I felt great but then, after 4/5 weeks without it, I felt worse than before)

May 2015 - Jul 2015: Escitalopram (20 mg)

Sep 2015 - Mar 2016: Prozac (20 mg); during this period I was also taking these supplements (not all at the same time): Ergy D; Bicebe; Vitaminor Super Omega 3 Complex; Vitaminor C-Vitamino Complex; Ergyphilus Plus; Ergyfosforyl; Vitaminor Juveno Complex; Vitaminor Actino Complex; Melatonox; and also some probiotics.

17 Mar 2016 - As suggested by my psychiatrist, I tapered doing day-yes and day-no during 2 weeks and I've completely withdrawal Prozac. Not taking anything at all.

Welcome to SA,

Your Psych is like many doctors that think you can just stop, he is WRONG, you came off too fast and are now experiencing WD due to a fast taper, this site does not recommend skipping days of dosing, it makes things worse, we recommend a slower taper in 10% cuts holding for 4-6 weeks to let your brain adjust before making another cut. You have only been off Prozac for couple weeks, I would reinstate a small amount, most people find relief right away from WD symptoms by doing this, then once you are stable you can do a nice slow taper. We don't recommend toughing it out, as withdrawal can last a very long time and be gruelling. If you go have a read in the self care, there is all the information regarding reinstating and tapering. Welcome to the group a mod will be by shortly with more advice, you will get a lot of help and support here. Hang in there! Ali

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Theviciouscycle and welcome to SA.

The members here are very supportive and there is lots of information on this site.  Thank you for completing your signature.

Ali4 has said hits the nail on the head.  I'll give you some links to read.  Hopefully these will help you to understand why Ali4 has suggested reinstating.  Please note that because you have been off Prozac for approximately 3 weeks DO NOT take the full dose you were taking.  It is best to reinstate a small amount because your brain will have made some adaptation since you have been off the drug.  One of the other mods will suggest a dose which you could reinstate.  It takes 4 days for the drug to get to full state in  the blood but you might feel some relieve within the first day.

You can use your Intro/Update topic to ask questions and as a journal of your progress.

Now for some links:

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

These might help you to understand why we need to reduce the drug slowly so the brain can adapt to not getting as much of the drug:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TVC,

I've checked with the other mods and they suggest a reinstatement of 5 mg DAILY.

Please let us know what you decide.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you very much for your words and quick feedback, seriously.

Today, I tried to read as much as possible the links you gave me.

There is one thing I want to share: since I got really interested in healthy foods, as I said before, I am also trying the listen to my body as much as I can. Seriously, I think I have never taken care of my body in my whole life. Now it has been completely different, and I have been respecting more and more what it 'says' to me. Lately, I have started to eat more raw food like fruits and also drinking more natural juices. Doing this really helped me on other areas of my health. For example, I'm finding that I wasn't doing that well with some foods (and my body was always showing me that everyday!). It has been a fun journey to know what's the best for me :). Well, the reason I am telling this, it's because initially I thought it could be the sugar that exists on fruits. I was wondering whether it was Prozac or the effect of the sugar in my brain. But,

"How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?
Typically, in withdrawal symptoms such as melancholia, anxiety, and disorientation come in intense waves, which differentiates them from relapse of a psychological condition."

This is exactly what has been happening to me. Once I started (quickly) tapering it, I started to feel these "waves.". But regarding OCD, I am not performing any rituals or something like that. It has been just these symptoms. And, it's true, initially, they were less intense. For example, this Wednesday, the "wave" was incredible stronger compared to the first ones I was having. I can easily see that they gradually can get even more intense if I don't prevent that from happening.
Also, I heard the tape from Dr. Ann Blake Tracy - “Help! I Can’t Get Off My Antidepressant!" , and she seems to also say to eat more fruits and vegetables and drink natural juices.
So, I conclude even more that these symptoms have to be from the withdrawal for sure (and it's interesting, because with natural foods you don't crave them that much. Once full, your body tells you when it's enough). Even though, I would like to hear your opinion about the sugar. Could it influence that much?

Please note that because you have been off Prozac for approximately 3 weeks DO NOT take the full dose you were taking.  It is best to reinstate a small amount because your brain will have made some adaptation since you have been off the drug.  One of the other mods will suggest a dose which you could reinstate.  It takes 4 days for the drug to get to full state in  the blood but you might feel some relieve within the first day.

Hi TVC,

I've checked with the other mods and they suggest a reinstatement of 5 mg DAILY.

Please let us know what you decide.

Yes, I'm thinking about doing the reinstatement of 5 mg daily. But this dose can actual go up or down according to my symptoms, can't it? I mean, I have to be very aware of the symptoms, I suppose.

If I start taking it, on what time of the day should I take it? This is, probably the ideal time is in the morning, but sometimes I just start eating at lunch and skip breakfast. Is it ok if I take it in the beginning/middle of the afternoon (yes, sometimes I do some fasting)? And it is always better to take it with some food inside in our stomach, right?

You said 5 mg. I never heard before about the liquid Prozac  :lol:. That's the next step I am going to do: learn how to prepare the doses. Is it possible to do with Prozac in capsules though?

Welcome to SA,

Your Psych is like many doctors that think you can just stop, he is WRONG, you came off too fast and are now experiencing WD due to a fast taper, this site does not recommend skipping days of dosing, it makes things worse, we recommend a slower taper in 10% cuts holding for 4-6 weeks to let your brain adjust before making another cut. You have only been off Prozac for couple weeks, I would reinstate a small amount, most people find relief right away from WD symptoms by doing this, then once you are stable you can do a nice slow taper. We don't recommend toughing it out, as withdrawal can last a very long time and be gruelling. If you go have a read in the self care, there is all the information regarding reinstating and tapering. Welcome to the group a mod will be by shortly with more advice, you will get a lot of help and support here. Hang in there! Ali

I must be honest that if go to check him again and I say that I want to do some reinstating, he will probably don't agree and even want to take control of the situation again saying that I need to get back to my initial dose.

I don't know if Prozac without prescription is that expensive... Whether it is or not, I want to do this by myself. Well, I lied, with your help actually :P

At the age of 15 years old, I was diagnosed with OCD

2006: Prozac (I don't remember the dose)

2007-2010: Sertraline (250mg) + Fluvoxamine (200g) were the last doses

2010: Paroxetine (I don't remember the dose)

2010-2015: Clomipramine (150mg). During these years I had also taken Risperidone and Ritalin ("for testing purposes")

Feb 2015: I've stopped Clomipramine on my own. In only 2/3 weeks, I removed it all

(Next weeks, I felt great but then, after 4/5 weeks without it, I felt worse than before)

May 2015 - Jul 2015: Escitalopram (20 mg)

Sep 2015 - Mar 2016: Prozac (20 mg); during this period I was also taking these supplements (not all at the same time): Ergy D; Bicebe; Vitaminor Super Omega 3 Complex; Vitaminor C-Vitamino Complex; Ergyphilus Plus; Ergyfosforyl; Vitaminor Juveno Complex; Vitaminor Actino Complex; Melatonox; and also some probiotics.

17 Mar 2016 - As suggested by my psychiatrist, I tapered doing day-yes and day-no during 2 weeks and I've completely withdrawal Prozac. Not taking anything at all.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi TVC,

It is best to take your drug at the same time each day so you need to decide when is going to be most suitable for you.

"Yes, I'm thinking about doing the reinstatement of 5 mg daily. But this dose can actual go up or down according to my symptoms, can't it? I mean, I have to be very aware of the symptoms, I suppose."

Yes you will need to be aware of what symptoms you are getting and it is a good idea to keep notes on paper so that if you have issues you will be able to tell us about what symptom/s you got and when they happened.

Reinstating will hopefully ease your withdrawal symptoms, possibly within the first day.  Stay on the SAME DOSE.  It takes 4 days for the drug to get to full state in the blood and you should know after 7 days whether reinstatement has been successful.  If you find your symptoms get worse, please post back here and the staff will offer suggestions. 

Please post here before changing your dose so the staff can assess your situation.

SUGAR:  There are topics about sugar on this site.  Use a search engine and type in survivingantidepressants.org sugar

A regular doctor can prescribe Prozac.  I suggest you read the following before seeing a doctor or psych.

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Do NOT start back on your original dose, that could cause more problems, low dose of 5mg and see how you do, taking morning is usually the best, just make sure you take it at the same time daily. Good luck and let us know how you do! Ali

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.