SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

I just found out my husband told his parents that I have wanted to die and go down to the basement to hit myself. I thought they were treating me awkwardly when I saw them yesterday and now I know why. I know my husband needs outlets and we have agreed on a few close friends of his that would be safe people for him to talk to. I supported him talking to hus parents and brother, but I feel so humiliated that he has shared this part with them. They dont understand and are worried about the children. They look at me differently and I dont see love in their eyes. Naturally they are worried about my husband and kids. I dont know hiw to stay in his family and see them again. I am ashamed and humiliated. Does anyone else face this experience?

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

May 31st took last of prozac. Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.

July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.

Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Help777

• btdt

• SquirrellyGirl

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

While I've never had a spouse reveal that kind of information, I have had others close to me discuss my personal details with people I see and interact with.  Although it's about you, it's best to look at it as not personally directed at you.  It's about your husband's reaction to difficult emotions, such as frustration and feeling as if he can't help you.

Your husband needs to clean up the situation he created between you and his parents. Saying something like

- he told them that information because he was frustrated, because these drugs are nasty and withdrawal is beastly

AND

- that he has NO concerns about the safety and well-being of the children or your safety or well-being.

A couple of thoughts about preventing this:

- Ask your husband to talk about this kind of detail with people who you don't know, e.g. a counsellor, an employer's employee assistance plan.

- He could create a username for himself here and vent with and to other spouses in the relationships forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you. We discussed this together and he is going to talk to his parents.

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

Hi,

Today is day 7 of a good stretch, very minimal emotional wd symptoms!! I am cherishing every minute of this. Still continuing with 1mg prozac. What I am struggling with is a newer problem...lightheadedness, overwhelming fatigue, low bp, numbness in my extremities, body aches. So dizzy I have to sit down and lie down for the last day or so. No fever. I checked my heart rate and it was low. I just returned from emerg because I was concerned. Ecg was normal but heart rate was 42 and bp 76/45. They are referring me to an internist. From reading other pages on SA it looks like this may be wd? Bloodwork, rest of ecg was all normal.

I shouldn't be complaining because I would rather have these physical symptoms than the previous emotional turmoil I had where I couldn't stop crying and felt pure dread and anger. However, these symptoms are not fun either.

• Moderator Emeritus

So, how do you feel with this low blood pressure?  Do you have dizziness on standing?

When I was in protracted wd from Effexor, my resting pulse went to 99 and my BP raised up to 139/xx.  When  I reinstated, my BP returned to the usual 120/xx, pulse in the 70's.  A year later and tapering, I have found my BP is now lower than my "norml."  Just took it and it was 97/67, pulse high 80's.  

Withdrawal does all kinds of weird things and serotonin affects the smooth muscles of the cardiovascular system. 

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Yes, dizziness on standing but dizziness when sitting or laying down too. I haven't fainted. Just a very weak, light headed feeling with fatigue, a little nausea and headache. I normally have low bp not not this low and 42 is a very low hr for me.

• Moderator Emeritus

Drink more water!  I tend to be on the dehydrated side since I have poor thirst signaling and don't really like water, so I need to do the same. 

See this:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/90-low-blood-pressure/

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I experienced a good 15 day window shortly after reinstatment of 1 mg prozac. I'm having a bad wave, 5 days so far. Is there any likelihood of me reaching tolerance to this 1mg of prozac? If so does this mean I may need to reinstate a higher dose? I'm scared and don't know what to do. My lithium level is 0.4 even at such a small dose of 300mg. I wonder how being on lithium is impacting my symptoms. Specifically wondering if it is making me feel more depressed. However I've made bad mistakes in the past with withdrawal and I need some advice on what to do. My wave symptoms are anger, dread, thoughts of wanting to die, depression, crying and severe paranoia.

Thank you in advance.

Congratulations on the 15 day window, it's so frustrating that they get followed by waves.  I wouldn't worry about reaching tolerance on 1mg of prozac.  This sounds like a pretty typical wave to me.  I'm not a lithium expert so I can't address that, but am willing to guess that it's causing some of your problems.  A couple of the other mods are a lot better with that one.  Ride the wave as best as you can and it will work it's way out and you'll be back in a great window.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Brass - I know it is hard when you are in it since it has a way of taking hold of our thinking and we start scrambling and ruminating.

It reminds me of how some people do a C/T and say that they felt fantastic for the first two weeks before the wheels came off the bus.  Sometimes we have similar effects going on meds as coming off too fast.  The reinstatement bounced you in a good direction and now the pendulum is swinging back, but it will come to the middle soon.

SG

Thank you, brass monkey and SG. Ok, I will hold tight and try to be patient for the next window. Thanks for your help. I don't know what I would have done without SA.

I think not sleeping is wreaking havoc with my emotional state as well. Sleeping has been intermittent since I began wd last fall. But I will have stretches where it is really bad, like the last 5 days. I read through many threads here on sleep. No screens, magnesium orally plus epson salt baths, no napping in day, sleep mask and ear plugs, blackout blinds. I'm upto 3 mg melatonin before bed. I can fall asleep but at about 2am i wake up and cannot go back to sleep. I know this is a common wd symptom. I just wonder if it's making the waves worse or if the wave is causing the insomnia to get worse. I used to work full time. Right now i can barely get through the day without feeling extreme irritability, anger, crying, exhaustion. I called a fam member to come and help me today with the kids because i feel so guilty I can't do much. How long does this insomnia last? I'm worried i cannot do this.

Hello Help777...I have been reading your thread and it is like you are inside my mind writing down my thoughts....I haven't had a lot of success so unfortunately I don't have a lot of great tips to offer but if you are having some good results from the melatonin you might want to check out the extended release melatonin....I think it is supposed to help get to sleep and stay asleep.

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

Thank you for the timed release tip. I went out and bought some and will try it.

The internist feels my following symptoms are the result of lithium and not wd from effexor and prozac:

Slowed heart rate and bp, dizziness, weakness, burning in hands and feet and stomach, nausea and losing weight and insomia. Of course I tried to discusswith him my thoughts in these symptoms being caused by wd but he thought the lithium is the more likely culprit. I hate to make an even slight reduction in lithium, but I am wondering if I need to. I take the risks if kithium seriously. The internist said my bloodwork does not show toxicity of lithium but that this doesn't mean it's not creating problems which could increase. January my bloodwork showed 0.2 lithium level. This week it showed 0.4. No changes to dose and I am mindful to drink lots of water, etc. Any thoughts, lithium experts here?

Many thanks.

Hi Help777,

The internist feels my following symptoms are the result of lithium and not wd from effexor and prozac:

Havent read this whole thread but i did read your drug sig and im pulling my hair out at the crazy doctors once again.

I dont know anything about lithium tapering but i believe the major player here is withdrawal off venlafaxine.

You were on it for 15 yrs then tapered off over 9 months at an ad hoc basis by the looks. Well that's a very fast taper . At 10% it would take 3.5 yrs to get to 1mg  but due to the length of time on the drug you may well have had to taper slower.

Its taken Brass something like 5 yrs to taper off 40mg off paxil, i tell you that to put it in perspective.

With prozac and lithium thrown in the mix i think your situation is not easy to unravel  and i am sorry that your doctor has put you in this position.

Were you advised of the risks of lithium before you started to take it?

imo you are not bpll

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Help:  Optomistic, a member who posted an intro on June 29, says in his intro that he experienced increasing lithium levels in his blood that his doctor didn't catch until toxic levels were reached. Here's his post about that

JanCarol has knowledge about lithium and Shep may as well.

At a minimum, you should get your lithium serum levels tested frequently (every other month at the longest) so that you and your docs can adjust your dosage.  You may also want to ask your doc about symptoms of toxicity so that you and your husband know what to watch for.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you, nz11 and scallywag. Anything I know about lithium is from reading. I now see that toxic symptoms can appear even if bloodwork doesn't show a toxic level. I know My mistakes in tapering effexor too fast. I thought staying put with 1mg prozac and holding lithium for awhile would help. But i do wonder if my increase in select symptoms is the lithium. And if I shoukd decrease by 50 mg to see if that makes a difference. I see that the half life of lithium is 24 hrs so perhaps i would notice a difference in a few days? Jancarol, or Shep, any lithium advice? Thank you, all for helping me navigate this. The last thing I want is to become sick from lithium.

Does anyone find social stimulation very upsetting? My limit seems to be one hour of being able to talk to someone or be in a group setting before I become extremely agitated. Then my response is to cry or feel very angry, perhaps due to a flight or fight activation within me from the social activity? I hardly recognize this person I've become. I used to love being with friends. Now it just upsets me too much. Will this get better? Can anyone relate?

imo this is a classic wdl experience.

our cns has been left very compromised.

And as we all know nerves can take a long time to heal.

Yes it will get better but it will take a long time. Well it did for me....several years.

You will have to learn to accept it cope with it and/or limit your social contact.

Consider  keeping away from situations and people that may trigger any kind of conflict or stress.

You will need to wrap yourself in cotton wool for a while.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I really appreciate the validation. I couldn't find anything on social stimulation on SA...just overstim to light, sound. Yesterday was my first group social outing. It was a bbq for my son's sports team. I shouldn't have stayed for four hours. I felt some fatigue, anxiety while there but I thought I would be ok. I came home and cried, sobbed, couldn't calm down. Slept worse than usual. Woke up feeling more panic and anger and agitation. Why would I cope ok during the event but unravel afterwards, taking a long time to recover frim this? Maybe I will start a new topic. It helps to hear yours and others suggestions and experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

It would be great if more social events would involve time sitting quietly. I know sometimes I come from going out in the evenings and am so stimulated that I can't get to sleep at a decent hour.

scallywag's Introduction

Congratulations on making it through the bbq.  It's no mean feat for some one in WD.

Being in a social situation is similar to being "on stage".  There are certain "norms" that are expected and we do everything possible to come up to those "standards".  This has to do to some extent with the fight or flight reaction. So we get it to a social situation and our mind goes into high gear to cope.  Then, when we return to a "safe place" the mind can let down and let out the pent up emotions.  IRL actors have the ability to turn this on and off at will, while for us regular people it can happen and we don't understand it.  My wife Monica is a professional actor, and to see that switch thrown is an amazing sight. On one hours sleep, sick as a dog, pissed at the world, but can walk into a room and be the most charming person you've ever meant.  Walk back out of the room and back to the previous way.

Social events such as this can be very trying to get through.  I personally am an introvert. I like my peace and quiet, dislike small talk and have a hearing problem so that I have trouble hearing/following a conversation in a crowded setting.  I am very rarely comfortable in a social context, but I have a number of social events I regularly attend. As I have progressed with my taper they have become easier to handle, partly because my mind is clearer, I have more physical stamina, but largely because I discovered I don't have to be "on" the entire time.  These events have an ebb and flow and change dynamics over their course, and it goes unnoticed if someone takes a break and walks to the edge of the group for a few minutes to "catch their breath".  There's almost always a quiet place to retreat to, a garden to admire, a dog to play with, not to mention bathroom breaks or a drink that needs refreshed.  One has to be proactive and control their personal situation, but the party will have a life of its own and their personal actions won't matter all that much.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you, Brass. That is really helpful. I'm wired the same way ordinarily and this wd has magnified it x100.

Can I ask for some advice about making another reinstatement. I'm in another wave. I haven't experienced this since before reinstating 1mg of prozac. I seemed to have a great window shortly after reinstatement. Should I add a bit more? The tears, and depression and dread are unbearable right now.

I wish I could turn back time and take the 3-5 years to withdraw from effexor instead of 9 months. I don't know that reinstatement of effexor would be wise. I wondering though if I reinstate more prozac will my body get a high from this initially and then it will peter out.

Hi Help777....I also have switched from effexor to prozac....what symptoms did your 1 mg of prozac reinstatement back on June 14th help with?

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

It lifted the severity of the depression and anger that left me wanting to die. Some days were still hard, but not to that extreme. It seemed to improve my ability to bouce back. I am wondering if I developed tolerance to this amount and not helpful anymore.

• Moderator Emeritus

Can I ask for some advice about making another reinstatement. I'm in another wave. I haven't experienced this since before reinstating 1mg of prozac. I seemed to have a great window shortly after reinstatement. Should I add a bit more? The tears, and depression and dread are unbearable right now.

Hello Help,

that would be called updosing and not reinstatement. If things improved after you reinstated 1 mg of Prozac but after a while got bad as they were before the reinstatement that would indicate that you might indeed benefit from a bigger dose. It's not that you reached tolerance but 1 mg might not be enough. You might try adding 0.5 mg and see how you react to that and might even consider increasing the dose further since it seems it is helping you. We can't tell when it will become too activing and start having negative effects so it's best to make small and gradual changes carefully monitoring your symptoms.

Even if updosing helps at one point you will just have to pick a dose and hold it through windows and waves to stabilise.  

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thank you for the guidance. I'm confused about what tolerance means then?

• Moderator Emeritus

It's in a way similar to tolerance but the word tolerance is more widely used for benzos and other drugs with more straighforward addictive properties when one reaches a level where they have to increase the dose to get the same effect as before. When we taper too fast and then reinstate too little we simply have a case of not having as much drug as our system is used to. This is quite similar so maybe it's not necessary to insist on the difference :)

There is no information in your signature about hw much Prozac you were taking on 31 May but it's likely that more than 1 mg could help you even more than only 1 mg...

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

May 31 I would have been on close to 5 mg. but I am not sure the Prozac was helping at that time and that's why I tapered it. I took 1.5mg of Prozac this morning instead of just 1mg. I guess in a few days I will notice if it helps. I still wonder if the 1mg gave me good feelings until my body and mind got used to it and then it lost its affect. Therefore afraid the same thing will happen at 1.5mg but I have to do something. I'm back to crying non stop and wanting desperately to die and rid myself of this torture. I'm sorry to complain. I am starting to wonder if I should reinstate Effexor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Even if the drugs are not helping any more removing them still makes things works as you experienced.

The effect the drug has now is to curb withdrawal. I know you are feeling bad but giving in to this urge to do anything to stop the pain only makes things worse. I would give Prozac more chance.

Try to endure one moment at a time. We always repeat to ourselves that this too shall pass because it does. Now you know and are in a position to learn more about how these drugs work so that they stop hurting you.

Keep us posted.

I am venting here. I got upset with my sister tonight when she told me to stop trying to figure my symptoms out and stop being addicted to the Internet. It frustrated me because the Internet is all I have. Doctors and people in my life don't know anything. Anyways my daughter asked me if I had a filter and I thought this was very insightful of her to notice that right now mommy doesn't seem to have a filter and seem to cry and get upset at any little thing. She started to cry and asked me how much longer I am going to be this way. And when will she get her mom back. My heart is broken. I feel like I'm losing this battle.

Oh help777....I can tell you love your family so much especially your children.  I can relate to how the most agonizing aspect of this terrible withdrawal is how it affects our loved ones but try to keep in mind when the day comes when you are healed you can be proud of the fact that you fought to get healthy for your family....I know I fight for my health for myself but for my family too!  It hurts me too when family or friends are not as supportive as I wish they would be but it is impossible for them to understand what we are going through because simply they are not going through it thank God.  I am sending you a hug.....with regards to your sister maybe a suggestion would be to not discuss this with her if she can not be supportive and see you are doing everything you can to get better.  Try to channel all of your frustration into helping yourself.  

How do you feel the reinstatement is going?

Should i reinstate effexor?

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you notice any changes after upping Prozac?