SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

• Moderator Emeritus

Emotions and enthusiasm return, resilience increases.  It takes time. Please continue to be patient with the process and gentle with yourself. ((((hugs))))

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Help777

• btdt

• SquirrellyGirl

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, i have been really struggling with migraines.  Also with burning hands and feet that flare with exercise, stress and night time.  It’s called Erythromelalgia.  For both of these conditions my doctor is suggesting Amitriptyline.  Should i try a low dose?  Thoughts?  

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

May 31st took last of prozac. Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.

July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.

Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Help777: Journal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Drug Interactions Checker

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

lithium  amitriptyline

Applies to: lithium, amitriptyline

Before taking lithium, tell your doctor if you also use amitriptyline. You may need dose adjustments or special tests in order to safely take both medications together. Elderly patients may be particularly susceptible to this interaction. You should notify your doctor if you have symptoms of memory impairment, confusion, or changes in behavior. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using your medications without first talking to your doctor first.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Help, I am sorry to read that you are suffering with this condition. Did it start after you finished your prozac taper?  It sounds very much like mine when I make too big a cut, only mine is peripheral neuropathy caused by my nervous system being unstable. Withdrawal causes some really weird and distressing symptoms.  I looked up your condition and found this.........

No single medication works for all EM patients, and some trial and error may be necessary. Some individuals with EM require lower doses of these drugs, and when started at higher doses, side effects can occur. Sometimes a combination of medications is more effective than one drug alone. 

(Taken from https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/erythromelalgia/)  

This concerns me because you are so sensitive to drugs and supplements and this talks about trial and error, much like they do with anti depressants. 

If this started after stopping prozac you could reinstate a very tiny dose of 0.5mg.  I would also hold the lithium taper for a while to give your body a break from tapering, you've done amazing so far and a long hold will help to get back in balance.  

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 2 months later...

Could  I ask you for your opinion about lithium withdrawal?

I've gone from 150mg in December to 115mg today, so 5 months.  That is well within the 10 percent per month rule.  I've noticed a pattern that about a week after a cut I lose sleep, become angrier, more irritable, more sensitive.  The emotions come first and then I start losing sleep and then I think it's a viscous  cycle until I stabilize, which usually takes a good week.  It's too hard to do so I decided this month I would make an even tinier cut and went from 117mg to 115 mg (2 percent!).  But the same thing happened.  One week after the cut I'm so irritable, crying so easily, unable to tolerate stress and starting to not be able to sleep.  This makes absolutely no sense to me after such a small cut.  Is this possible??? Or, does this mean I have organic psychiatric issues that need medication because without it I would feel like this?  I don't know what to do.  This just doesn't make any sense to me. 

I'm normally a very sensitive person and being off of Effexor has shown me that.  I feel my emotions strongly and when I'm stressed then sleep is hard, etc.  But it's definitely more pronounced after a cut.  Do you think this tiny cut could bring on these symptoms or is it unrelated?  Any thoughts would really be welcomed as I cannot find any other info on this.  

I rely on many many techniques to help me cope with emotions but it feels like all bets are off after a cut.

With many thanks,

Help.

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

Could  I ask you for your opinion about lithium withdrawal?

I've gone from 150mg in December to 115mg today, so 5 months.  That is well within the 10 percent per month rule.  I've noticed a pattern that about a week after a cut I lose sleep, become angrier, more irritable, more sensitive.  The emotions come first and then I start losing sleep and then I think it's a viscous  cycle until I stabilize, which usually takes a good week.  It's too hard to do so I decided this month I would make an even tinier cut and went from 117mg to 115 mg (2 percent!).  But the same thing happened.  One week after the cut I'm so irritable, crying so easily, unable to tolerate stress and starting to not be able to sleep.  This makes absolutely no sense to me after such a small cut.  Is this possible??? Or, does this mean I have organic psychiatric issues that need medication because without it I would feel like this?  I don't know what to do.  This just doesn't make any sense to me. 

I'm normally a very sensitive person and being off of Effexor has shown me that.  I feel my emotions strongly and when I'm stressed then sleep is hard, etc.  But it's definitely more pronounced after a cut.  Do you think this tiny cut could bring on these symptoms or is it unrelated?  Any thoughts would really be welcomed as I cannot find any other info on this.  

I rely on many many techniques to help me cope with emotions but it feels like all bets are off after a cut.

With many thanks,

Help.

• Administrator

Help, we need the context of your Intro topic to answer questions about your taper.

It sounds like you had withdrawal symptoms after going off Prozac in January, then went right into tapering lithium?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you, Alto.  Is my intro still on page 1 of my journal, or please tell me what info you need.

Yes, I completed my prozac bridge taper in December and then started tapering lithium in January.  My waves and windows are improving when I look to where I was a few years ago when I was withdrawing from effexor.  However, I still have waves.  What surprises me is that a week ago i made a micro taper of 1.5% and I am really struggling with symptoms.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

thank you,

help

Hi Alto,

When you have a chance I would be really interested in hearing your thoughts to the above.  Let me know if you require further info.  Thank you so very much.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Alto, could you or somebody else send me their thoughts on my last post?  I think you are the best people to provide input on my experience with my micro cuts, in the context of my history. With many thanks,

help. 

• 7 months later...

I have been off of effexor for almost 3 years.  Iam weaning off of lithium 5% each month and now am at 80 mg.  I cry every single day.  Most days it feels like work to manage my emotions.  I feel so much guilt for all the ways i am not present and strong with my kids.  I am back to work and it takes all my energy.  I literally cry every night. Is this normal?  Does it get better?  Am i at my strongest or is healing still happening?  

Please respond.  I feel so sad.  

I am so confused.  I feel like this is a bad wave.  I thought i was doing well.  And hthese feelings are so bad.  It has been so long that i have been off effexor.  I can’t stand myself.  I am full of shame for feeling this way.  This must be me and not withdrawal since it has been so long.  I am so frustrated and angry and pathetic.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Is your drug signature up to date?  If not please update with drug/s dose/s date/s so that the mods are better able to make suggestions.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Have you been keeping a daily symptom diary recently?  If yes, please post 1 week of daily symptoms.  If not, please start keeping them for the next 3 days and post them here in your intro topic.

Example:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Ok,I just updated this info into my signature. 

• Administrator

Hello, Help, many apologies for missing your posts in May.

Have you been tapering steadily? It sounds like your nervous system wants a rest from drug changes. I would stop tapering, take the same amount of lithium (80mg?) at the same time every day, let your system settle down for a couple of months, at least. 

You'll be able to taper again, don't worry. Look at how far you've come! You've done a magnificent job.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you so much,  Alto.  Ok, I will hold at 80mg.  I thought reducing by 1mg per week was an extremely slow and gentle way but maybe it worked for the first few months but now it's catching up with me and I need to pause.  Sounds like it's going to take me a few years to get off lithium.  Thought it would be faster and gentler than effexor withdrawal.  I guess it is, when I look back I can see how far I've come.  I just want to hurry up and put all of this behind me.

Thanks for being there and responding.

• Administrator

Hang in there, you'll be fine. Please let us know how you're doing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Help777, 

I’m really sorry you’re going through a bad wave and that you’re in tears a lot. Holding sounds like a great idea. You will eventually stabilise, it just takes time. The only healer in this journey seems to be time. It took me three months at the end of last year to stabilise after some changes, but stabilise I did. 

Each time we make changes our brains need to get back to some kind of homeostasis. When we’re going through waves it feels like windows are never coming, but they always do. 

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Help, 

How are you doing?💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Hi Carmie,

Thank you so very much for your messages.  This site means so much to me and you reaching out helps me heal and gives me hope.  I feel intolerant to stress.  I was probably always an anxious and highly sensitive person but since I've stopped effexor it has been extreme.  Mind you, I can look back and see how much healing has occurred in the last few years, so that is uplifting.  I'm reducing my lithium at a slower pace.  When I don't have a lot of stress I can cope and manage.  I have some days that just feel sunny and I'm so grateful to be alive and be there for my family and love them.  Then I will have days where I feel consumed by dread and it takes everything in me just to keep my cool, soothe myself and function. 

I work full time and have 2 teenagers.  A wonderful husband.  But I think this life stage (well, they're all hard) is difficult.  I don't get much quiet time.  And I seem to need so much quiet time and alone time to rejuvenate.  Any thoughts/advice?

How are you doing in your journey?  

Thanks again,

Warmly,

help

• ChessieCat changed the title to Help777: journal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Help, 

I think everyone going through withdrawals suffers from stress. All our emotions are heightened, and even small things can end up being big things in our minds. Good ol’ neuro emotions. If you already had anxiety beforehand, than these neuro emotions on top of that must be hard. 

I’m glad you can see healing happening, that’s wonderful! I’m also really glad you have a lovely family. Those two things are great things to ponder on on a daily basis.

Working full time must be hard. You said you don’t get any quiet time. I think it might be time to get your teenagers to do a few more chores so you can get some down time🧺🧹😄. Can you maybe just go for a walk to a park or somewhere in nature, and just sit there n chill? You could take a hobby with you if there’s something you like to do, or a book or something else to read, or just sit quietly and enjoy nature around you. Nature is very soothing, and quiet time is MUST when going through withdrawals, it’s a must when not going through withdrawals.

Take care, sending hugs🤗

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any suggestions for the treatment of depression that is persisting 3 years after withdrawal?  I do not want to go through the rest of my life feeling this depressed.  There has got to be some options out there.

• 2 weeks later...

i found your post while looking for help myself. i started to get depression in withdrawal (never had it before). it seemed to lift quite a bit when i changed my blood pressure meds recently but last night it hit with a big mallett. i'm just searching now to see if i can find any suggestions. 

did you take meds for the depression or has yours come on since you stopped? 

Took prozac 40 mg for 20 years.

January 2017 started cutting down prozac by 12.5% a week. End of February 2017 completely off prozac and withdrawals began.

Currently taking Levothyroxine 75 mcg, Magnesium citrate 200mg,Sage leaf 50mg daily

Amlodipine: October 2017 , discontinued 26 Feb 2019; Candesartan:  26 Feb 2019, 4mg.

Discontinued magnesium citrate 200mg Apr 3rd 2019

Reinstated prozac:  14 Jan 2019, 1mg; 26 Jan, 1.5mg; 4 Feb, 2mg; 16 Feb, 2.5mg; 2 Mar, 3mg; 5 Mar, 2.5mg, 23 Mar, 3 mg; 6 Apr, 3.5mg, 14 Apr 4mg, 23 Apr 5mg, 10 Jul 8mg, 1 Dec 20mg, 1 Apr 2020 40mg 

Hi there,

I now realize that when I first started taking effexor it was to desensitize me so that I could "handle" things like working/school full time, going out in the evenings, handle stress, etc.  I struggled with anxiety and depression and anger and irritability.  The effexor definitely numbed me enough to accomplish my goals.  However I believe it was short lived and amidst the numbness I began have similar struggles with emotions.  During and after withdrawing several years later is when I became extremely depressed.  Depression that was/is far worse than what I experienced earlier on in my life.  But it does come and go, and I can't make sense of that.  

What I don't know now that I've been off of effexor 3 years (still w/d from lithium) is whether I'm still having waves and windows or if this is just "me"...someone who will feel bad bouts of depression off and on.  My sleep has never been restored since withdrawing from effexor.  It is much improved but not restored.  So, this makes me wonder if I'm still affected by withdrawal.  

Not sure, but sometimes I get so desperate to not feel the depression so bad.  I have tried every non drug technique that you can imagine...Nutrition, sleep hygiene, mindfulness meditation, exercise, light, etc etc.  I'm probably very obsessed with being so strategic with all of these things for fear of causing emotional instability.  I think I am a highly sensitive person caught in the continued throws of stopping antidepressants after long term use.  Feel stuck a lot of the time.  

Wishing you peace,

help

Hi there,

I now realize that when I first started taking effexor it was to desensitize me so that I could "handle" things like working/school full time, going out in the evenings, handle stress, etc.  I struggled with anxiety and depression and anger and irritability.  The effexor definitely numbed me enough to accomplish my goals.  However I believe it was short lived and amidst the numbness I began have similar struggles with emotions.  During and after withdrawing several years later is when I became extremely depressed.  Depression that was far worse in comparison to what I experienced earlier on in my life.  But it does come and go and I can't make sense of that. 

What I don't know now that I've been off of effexor 3 years (still w/d from lithium) is whether I'm still having waves and windows or if this is just "me"...someone who will feel bad bouts of depression off and on.  My sleep has never been restored since withdrawing from effexor.  It is much improved but not restored.  So, this makes me wonder if I'm still affected by withdrawal.  

Not sure, but sometimes I get so desperate to not feel the depression so bad.  I have tried every non drug technique that you can imagine...Nutrition, sleep hygiene, mindfulness meditation, exercise, light, etc etc.  I'm probably very obsessed with being so strategic with all of these things for fear of causing emotional instability.  I think I am a highly sensitive person caught in the continued throws of stopping antidepressants after long term use.  Feel stuck a lot of the time.  

Wishing you peace,

help

so sorry to hear this is such a huge problem for you 3 years after stopping. i wish i had some helpful advice. i try all the things people suggest but nothing seems to cut the mustard, hence my reinstatement of prozac. i never had depression before all this so i have nothing to compare it to - to me it feels like a bottomless pit that i'm slowly sliding into. i keep trying to find things to look forward to but it's very hard to see any positives when this crap happens. 

i hope someone has some good info for you xxx 

Took prozac 40 mg for 20 years.

January 2017 started cutting down prozac by 12.5% a week. End of February 2017 completely off prozac and withdrawals began.

Currently taking Levothyroxine 75 mcg, Magnesium citrate 200mg,Sage leaf 50mg daily

Amlodipine: October 2017 , discontinued 26 Feb 2019; Candesartan:  26 Feb 2019, 4mg.

Discontinued magnesium citrate 200mg Apr 3rd 2019

Reinstated prozac:  14 Jan 2019, 1mg; 26 Jan, 1.5mg; 4 Feb, 2mg; 16 Feb, 2.5mg; 2 Mar, 3mg; 5 Mar, 2.5mg, 23 Mar, 3 mg; 6 Apr, 3.5mg, 14 Apr 4mg, 23 Apr 5mg, 10 Jul 8mg, 1 Dec 20mg, 1 Apr 2020 40mg 

Thank you so much.  Wishing the same for you.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

i am really depressed.  5 years after stopping effexor.  End of lithium.  Trying all of non drug techniquesbut struggling.  Any hope for any treatments other than drugs?  I don’t want to reconsider meds but sometimes I don’t know what else to do.  Any advice?

thank you,

help. 

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Conversation about depression moved from Symptoms and Self Care to Intro Thread.  Please keep all your posts about your own personal situation in this one thread, to avoid confusion and duplication of efforts.  Thank you.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 1 year later...

I haven’t posted in a long time. I decided to try coming off the 5 mg of Prozac. I went on it about seven years ago, to help me get off of Effexor. I slowly tapered the Prozac about your four years ago, and had to go back on 2 years ago. I am now trying slowly again to get off of it.

my symptoms seem a bit different than last time. Last time I lost weight and this time I am extremely hungry even though I’m trying to not eat because the numbers on the scale are going up. I just started withdrawing from Prozac about one month ago. I feel swollen and my face is puffy. I have legs and whole body feel like they’re inflamed especially at night and first thing in the morning. And then when I get up and moving, I have this cold burning sensation and the swelling comes down a little bit. I’ve gained about 5 pounds already and I don’t know if that is Gaining fat or fluid. Like I said, I’m so hungry all the time but I don’t want to gain anymore weight. I’m crying a lot and this reminds me of when I got off of Effexor. Stimulation of any kind feels horrible. I am angry and crying all the time now. I crave sugar and fat. Everything feels horrible. I went down to zero from 5 mg in the last month but now I’ve reinstated 1 mg  yesterday to see if it helps. Can anyone comment on the symptoms that I’m having with regards to the feeling of being swollen and gaining weight? Craving sugar. So hungry. Why is this? Last time I withdrew I lost weight, felt too upset to eat.  My doctor recommended trying Trintellix for the depression I continue to feel. 
thank you. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Previous post moved to your intro topic to keep your history all in one place.  Each member gets one and only one introduction topic, where you ask all your questions and post comments about your situation.  Please post questions and discussion about your situation in this one thread, to avoid confusion and duplication of efforts.  Please do not start new threads.  Thank you.  

One of us will answer your questions as soon as we can.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Thank you, and I'm sorry I posted on an incorrect page.

• Moderator Emeritus

The reason you are having these symptoms is because you reduced your Prozac way too fast. Please read. 

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

It is good that you have reinstated 1 mg of Prozac.  Please give this at least a week to work.  Stay on the 1 mg prozac each and every day, at the same time of day, unless you feel significantly worse, in which case stop.  It takes about a week for the drug to fully get into your system.  Stay on the 1 mg Prozac for a while before you do any more tapering.  I can take up to a couple of months for a reinstatement to become fully effective.  It may not take away all the symptoms, but it should make them more bearable.  Please be patient, and work on non drug coping techniques in the meantime.  

Here is some information about reinstatement. 

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Here is our topic on how these drugs and withdrawal affect our appetite and our weight, and swelling. 

Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Hunger

Edema Fluid Retention or Swelling

• Moderator Emeritus

On 2/21/2023 at 4:02 AM, Help777 said:

My doctor recommended trying Trintellix for the depression I continue to feel. 

It is your choice whether or not to take the trintellix that your doctor recommends.  However, please realize that this would be one more drug you would have to taper off of.  Also, studies show that in the long run, these drugs do not have a good outcome for depression.  There are other ways to deal with depression besides drugs.  

Robert Whitaker, author Anatomy of an Epidemic video

Chemical Imbalance is a Myth

Edited by getofflex